Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
Do any of you who are taking, or might have to take, fertility drugs think about the possibility of multiples when you go that route? Does the thought sound exciting or terrifying or conjure up completely different emotions? It's funny to imagine not easily having a child, and then BAM- six kids at once. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.

Google Embryo posted:

There's pretty much no way to accidentally end up with 6 babies. Those women who end up with a ton of kids at once knew what they were doing and they had a choice, and I'm not even talking about "selective reduction" (aka abort a few).

If you're at the point where you need fertility drugs to get pregnant, you are monitored very closely via ultrasound. You go in for these ultrasounds every few days to check the status of your follicles and see if any are ready for ovulation. Some women even have to go so far as to take a shot that triggers ovulation because their body won't do it on its own. If you're going in for these ultrasounds, you know exactly how many follicles have the potential to ovulate, so if you see 6 mature follicles up on that screen, you can potentially get pregnant with 6 babies. Fertility doctors don't WANT you to get pregnant with 6 babies, it's a tremendous physical strain on the mother and children with high risks for premature birth, and even maternal or fetal death. Most responsible individuals will drop the cycle before they even have a chance to get impregnated. They'll ovulate, but abstain from sex and just end up with a regular period.

I've been in this position, it was horrible to throw away all that money we'd spent on a cycle, but it was the responsible thing to do. I'm not willing to risk my children's lives that way, if one of them was stillborn or born with horrible issues, I would never forgive myself because it would BE 100% MY FAULT. However, some women are so desperate, both financially and emotionally, they go through with it anyway. Hence, the Jon & Kate Plus Eight's etc etc...

Thank you so much for your answer. I'm not ready for kids myself yet, but I can't deny that the whole process is fascinating.

• Locked thread