Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Taima posted:

Hi everyone, I have kind of a tangential question that's been on my mind and I'm hoping it can be answered.

I'm a 23 year old male. I've just graduated college and I'm starting my first "real" job next Monday (just to get an idea of where I am in life). My girlfriend is 20, and intends to get her doctorate in Psychology so she will likely be in school until her late 20s.

I have no idea if my girlfriend and I will have kids or not eventually, but one thing that honestly scares the gently caress out me is the "must have babies now" mentality that you can see throughout this thread. And there's nothing wrong with that mentality necessarily, since it's purely biological obviously, but it scares me because I don't understand it, and being a man the only emotion I can think of that would compare is the feeling of "must have sex NOW" that often causes men to forgo the condom in a fit of lust. Any emotion that disregards reason is not particularly welcome in my world, especially if I have no idea how to understand it. Also one of my best friend's wives just "happened" to get pregnant while on the pill and given her nature, I suspect that the pregnancy was not a mistake at all. All of this contributes to my terror and misunderstanding of the situation.

My girlfriend is very maternal and I like that about her because I'm touchy-feely too. However our lives our just beginning, and as two promising, educated young people (especially her) I feel like I have a responsibility to delay kids until at least 30 if not later (right now I would honestly be OK with never having kids at all). BUT having said that I know that at some point her baby clock will turn on one day and she might be literally unable to help herself from wanting a baby so bad, and wanting it NOW. This gives me terrifying nightmares. I'm not willing to throw away our promising future over biological impulses.

So I guess I just would appreciate some insight on what it's like to want a baby super bad. Did you wake up one day with a burning need? A lot of people are saying that someone they knew got pregnant and then they JUST HAD to get pregnant too and YESTERDAY GODDAMNIT. Is that really how it works? I'm trying to understand this emotion so I can come at it from a rational perspective if/when it happens. I hope you guys can shed some light on this because right now I'm more scared of my girlfriend's biological clock than I am of literally anything short of death. It seems like a ticking time bomb to me that threatens to undermine our future. Please help me understand or at least come to grips on the situation.

I hope you realize that there are very few, if any, people in this thread who are not in completely stable, long-term relationships or marriages, and that this decision wasn't made lightly. Sure, accidents happen, and Mantis gave you some really good food for thought on the efficacy of birth control (which is that it's normally really effective, but poo poo happens), but for the most part, the people posting in here did not just wake up one day saying, "Welp, time to pop out a few puppies, HURRR!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Hey all. I've been posting my woes in the Pregnancy Megathread; figured I may as well post over here too.

I'm 30, my husband is 26, and we've been married for a little under a year. Since we got married, I have been totally and utterly depressed, thanks to a miscommunication where I thought we agreed I'd go off birth control when we got married, and he thought we'd agreed to talk about it when we were married.

Fast-forward, and after many, many, many discussions/arguments, my husband has finally seen the light (special thanks to Lannie and hepscat, whose posts really helped convince him!) and we're officially going to start trying...well, soon. I have to get the all-clear from the doc, because I'm diabetic and I'll have to go off medication and onto straight-up insulin while pregnant, and for all I know, I'll have to do the same while we're trying just to be safe.

Anyway, I'm praying that we get pregnant really soon! I ordered a pregnancy test/ovulation test package from http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ myself, can't wait to get it!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I have been taking Target, Kroger or Safeway brand prenatals for over a year now (I knew a year ago that I wanted to have a baby soon, so I just told my husband that they were better than regular women's one-a-days, which they are ;) ), and I have had zero upset stomachs or constipation, and I am someone who is prone to both. My doctor, when I first told him I was coming in next week to talk about having a baby, said the over the counter kind were fine.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I'm with you two, we've barely begun trying for real, but the doesn't mean it didn't disappoint me to find out that I am not pregnant. I've been waiting for nearly a year for my husband to be ready to try to have a baby, and now that he's there, I quite unrealistically want to be pregnant right now. I know that's silly and not at all how things go, but it doesn't stop me from being sad. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Hey all. I've been posting my woes in the Pregnancy Megathread; figured I may as well post over here too.

I'm 30, my husband is 26, and we've been married for a little under a year. Since we got married, I have been totally and utterly depressed, thanks to a miscommunication where I thought we agreed I'd go off birth control when we got married, and he thought we'd agreed to talk about it when we were married.

Fast-forward, and after many, many, many discussions/arguments, my husband has finally seen the light (special thanks to Lannie and hepscat, whose posts really helped convince him!) and we're officially going to start trying...well, soon. I have to get the all-clear from the doc, because I'm diabetic and I'll have to go off medication and onto straight-up insulin while pregnant, and for all I know, I'll have to do the same while we're trying just to be safe.

Anyway, I'm praying that we get pregnant really soon! I ordered a pregnancy test/ovulation test package from http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ myself, can't wait to get it!

I went to my primary care physician today, and he gave us the green light from his point of view for going ahead and trying for a baby. However, he wants me to see an obstetrician before we actually start trying, because he determined that while my diabetes medications are Class B meds and therefore fine for pregnancy, my high blood pressure meds are Class C and not ok. Thankfully, there are a lot of blood pressure medications out there, some of which are fine for pregnancy, so I will probably be switching. And, as far as the diabetes meds go, if the obstetrician wants me to change those up too, I'm game. I just want to have a safe and happy pregnancy!

So, one down, one more to go. Now I need to find an obstetrician. I am not sure if there are any at the birth center I plan on using for prenatal care; I know they have nurses and midwives and doulas, but I don't think they have obstetricians. Still, they're probably a good place to start, and maybe they have recommendations I can try. Anyway, just thought I'd keep you all updated. Here's to hoping for another green light soon!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I made an appointment with the birth center for the end of August. My very experienced sister (mother of two, both birth center kids) is coming with me, because I am sure she'll ask things that I don't even know I should be asking. I am so excited I don't even know what to do with myself. I just cannot wait for this to become a reality. I've been praying for an "oooops" since before we got married, while simultaneously feeling guilty about it because I knew my then-fiance was not at all ready for it. Now that he is, I can't wait!

edit: I was debating on posting this portion, but I think I will, and ask for what you ladies would do, were you in this situation:

Let's say I test today and detect an LH surge. Sweet, I'm going to ovulate! Being who I am, waiting would probably kill me, so I would definitely want to try to get pregnant during this ovulation (especially since I am irregular and don't know when the next ovulation would be). BUT, there's the blood pressure medication. It's pregnancy categort C, meaning "animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks." This is the reason my doctor wants me to see an obstetrician in the first place; he wants to get me on a blood pressure medication that is category B (there probably doesn't exist one that is category A). So what do I do?

If this theoretical scenario played out right now, meaning tomorrow I ovulated, and was actually able to get pregnant, the only thing I could think of to do would be to call my doctor ASAP and say that I won't be able to see my obstetrician 'til the end of August and see what he can do. What would you do in this scenario?

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 25, 2009

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Primary. I think he just wanted to see if an obstetrician had specific recommendations for me above what he was able to see about my drugs (e.g. that my diabetes meds are category B and considered safe for pregnancy whereas my HBP are category C and not). If the OB recommended changing all of the medications, my doctor would do that. I think he's just not as comfortable with the OB side of things, dealing more with general practice for non-pregnant folks.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Clonidine and Propranolol (generic Enderol). I am more than willing to get off 'em; my doctor has even expressed that he's not sure I need two drugs. The two drugs were first given to me when I was hospitalized last year with BP through the roof, like 220 over 140. If I can go down to one that's actually safe for pregnancy, I'll be more than happy to. Aldomet seems to be commonly prescribed to hypertensive pregnant women.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
So, some bad news today that led to some somewhat good news: I talked to a midwife at the birth center I wanted to go to for prenatal care and she told me I can't go there. I was coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to be able to have a birth center birth with my medical conditions, but I figured I could still see a midwife for prenatal care, and maybe even have a midwife delivery at the adjunct hospital. I was pretty disappointed to learn that I couldn't even get that.

The good new is, the midwife recommended me to an OB/GYN practice very near the birth center that they often work with. The practice specializes in low intervention and natural childbirth, and has a midwife on staff. Better yet, I can get in to see them in 2 weeks, so I don't have to wait until the end of August like I was going to do at the birth center. This helps alleviate my concern over what to do if we get pregnant sooner than the appointment and I'm still on category C drugs. So, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I can meet with an obstetrician and even if we do get pregnant I'll be able to talk to her about making the right changes.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Thank you for that! I, of course, worry immensely that my hypertension and diabetes are going to cause major issues, and hearing stories like yours help me a lot!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
The way I understand it, the ovulation test tests for an LH surge. The luteinizing hormone (LH) is what stimulates the follicle to release the egg, so you see a surge in it right before you ovulate. 24 hours is typically around the time frame.

According to TCOYF, there are a couple of factors that can make the tests less effective, including LUFS (Luteinized Unruptured Follicle Syndrome) where there's an LH surge but no actual ovulation, mini peaks in LH that come before the big peak that makes the egg release, and the presence of fertility drugs. That's why the book talks about using them in conjuction with testing cervical mucous and basal temperature.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
So, I was able to test my mucous and use my ovu test strips to determine when I was ovulating, and coincidentally it was like a week after my husband agreed we could try for a baby. We tried that time, but no dice.

Because I have a super irregular cycle, I'm gauging my "no dice" on the fact that it's now been two weeks since our week o' trying, and my pregnancy test today came back negative. I guess it's still possible that after two weeks I don't have enough hCG for the test to be positive, but I have a feeling that I'm not pregnant. I guess the OB can confirm it for me when I go next week.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
How long have you been off the Pill? According to to TCOYF, it can take a few months for cervical fluid to go back to normal after stopping taking birth control.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Miss Shell posted:

Also, I must throw in my approval of TCOYF. It was very informative.

Yeah, I'm reading it right now, and I am learning more than I ever imagined. I'm super irregular in cycle length, so learning how to chart my fertility is about the only way I'm going to be able to get pregnant naturally (we'll see if I can!)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Because you're really aware of your ovulation, it should be easier for you, like you said. Monitoring cervical mucous, taking basal temperature, using fertility monitors and testing for LH surges are all excellent tools for women who are not as lucky as you are and do not have easy symptoms of ovulation, or a regular cycle they can use to help determine when they ovulate.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

It's still early, and we haven't had an ultrasound yet, but I can't keep this inside anymore. We're pregnant! My estimation, based on me testing for LH surges and acting accordingly, is that we're about 4 weeks past fertilization, so I believe that counts as 6 weeks pregnant? No dating based on last missed period for me, as I don't have regular cycles at all, but I heard that they still add on those two weeks prior to fertilization.

We have an ultrasound scheduled for about two weeks (was supposed to have one yesterday, to estimate a due date, but some mix-up meant it wasn't actually scheduled when it was supposed to be. :argh:), at which the OB tells me we might be able to see the heartbeat!

We have told our immediate family, and our closest friends, but we're not telling work or the rest of the Internet until we're a little farther along. Not sure we'll be able to keep it under wraps all the way to the end of the first trimester, though. :3:

We're over-the-moon excited!!!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Wheee! I am so incredibly excited, and to be honest, shocked it happened so quickly. We agreed to try to have a baby, then I began testing for LH surges a couple of days later. A few days after that, I detected a surge, and here I am, pregnant. I'm feeling really blessed that it happened so quickly!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Oh, sweet, I totally will!!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

sheri posted:

Can anyone give me their knowledge or experiences about trying to get pregnant after having been on the pill/some other form of hormonal birth control for some time. I've been on the pill nonstop since 2001. My husband and I aren't likely to start trying for kids until 2012, with the hope of having an early to mid 2013 baby. Are our chances of conceiving less likely since I will have been on the pill for a total of 11 years non-stop by that point?

Now that I've broken down and admitted that I'm knocked up, I thought I'd share my experience with this as well. :D

I am 30, and I was on a form of birth control for 12 years. I took the pill for two years, then did Depo shots for three years, then was back on the pill for the rest of the years. For me, with extremely irregular cycles, contraceptives were a means to regulate my cycle as well as provide birth control.

I went off the pill in January of this year. We didn't even talk about getting pregnant until the middle of July, and then it happened by the end of July. However, I think we just got really, really lucky, and I ovulated right after we talked about it.

I would say that, in your situation, I'd be going off the pill when you feel confident that you're ready to have a baby, because it might happen right away, or it might happen a year later. But you should be prepared for the right away, as it has happened before.

I highly recommend reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler and beginning to practice FAM when you're ready to start trying. This way you'll begin to see the patterns in your body's ovulatory cycles and know when the best time to try is. She doesn't exactly recommend using ovulation strips, but honestly, that's what worked for me. I think using them in conjunction with FAM is a great way to have a holistic picture of your fertility.

Whew...novel...

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Woooo, congrats Pixi! How far along are you?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

TinuvielDancing posted:

I am trying not to stress out. I went off my birthcontrol at the end of June and haven't gotten a period yet. I've been on it for about 11 years, and I know it takes a while to get back into a normal cycle. I scheduled a doctor's appointment just because it seemed to make sense. I figured they'd do a pregnancy test and tell me not to worry, I'm just still dealing with the after effects of the birth control.

Instead, before even asking me if it was possible if I was pregnant (which is weird because that is usually the first thing doctors ask me even when I am on bc) she asked me why I had been put on the birth control in the first place. I told her (I have a tendency to get ovarian cysts that rupture when I'm not on bc) and she asked me if I'd ever been tested for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is apparently the leading cause of female infertility.

I'm pretty sure I don't have POS after looking up more about the symptoms, but I'm waiting on the test results.

I didn't get a period back after getting off BC at all. I was on it for about 8 years, having been on Depo for 4 years previous to getting on the pill. I went off the pill in January, and in July I got pregnant. I didn't really think anything of the 7 months without a period, because I was irregular before the pill, and I figured my body just needed time to readjust to the change in hormone levels. This is how I discovered that I do, indeed, ovulate even if I don't bleed. :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
What really helped me was using ovulation test strips. I, too, though I'd need a period to ovulate. But I bought a pack of test strips from http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ which I believe has been pimped in here before, and began tracking daily. I was surprised when less than a week later, I actually detected a LH surge, and we got pregnant the first time around. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

I'm pregnant! I'm pretty excited. Gonna call the doctor Monday.

Sweeeeeeeeet! Congratulations! :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Lannie posted:

Glad you're doing a bit better. My fingers are crossed.

Some people say that you're more fertile right after a miscarriage. I dunno if it's true or not, but I hope for you that it is.

I have absolutely heard this as well-- something about your body already being in baby-making mode. I have my fingers crossed that this is the case for you, Chicky!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If you've been trying to get pregnant for a while now, and you have sex daily, you might want to cut back to every other day when you're ovulating. For some men, they don't produce enough viable sperm in a 24 hour period, so 48 hours gives you a better shot. If you're not sure when you're ovulating, there are lots of ways to figure it out. I used ovulation test strips, personally, but a lot of women test their cervical mucous daily and take basal temperatures daily to track when they're going to ovulate.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

yumemiru posted:

I've been charting for a while now (mucus/temperature), so I have a good handle on when I've ovulated, it's just my cycle length has been irregular. Last month was 24, this month 21 (!), before that it was 28 consistently for 4 months when I went off the pill.

We used to easily have sex 2-3 times a day, everyday and cut it down for baby making.

I have been "acting" pregnant, as in I haven't had caffeine in 3 months and I have hardly any sweets. I eat a really balanced diet (I use a tracking website), I make sure I get enough calories and have been on prenatals for 6 months.

I'm sure we have just been unlucky, from what I have read you don't have 100% chance of getting pregnant even if you do everything perfectly.

Eh, I guess everyone expects to get pregnant out of the gate. I just don't understand why my PMS is a million times worse. It really doesn't help things, body. :shobon:

I'm sorry you're not getting pregnant as quickly as you want to, it totally sucks. :( You guys still may want to try cutting down on the sex during the few days before, the day of, and the few days after you ovulate-- basically, have sex when you know it's coming, when you ovulate, and a couple of days later. I don't know how common it is for men to not produce viable sperm in 24 hours, but I know I have heard it both in here and in other places before, so it can't be that uncommon. It might not be the answer, but it might help. v:shobon:v

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I used those ovulation strips as well, and when I was unsure, like with yours in the photo, I would do a second one later the same day so that I wouldn't miss a surge. It worked for me. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If you guys have been reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and testing her cervical mucous, you should be able to detect when she's going to ovulate, but for an extra boost, consider getting ovulation test strips. I, too, have a completely whacked out cycle. I would go up to four or five months without getting my period. Besides everything else awesome about the book, TCOYF taught me that once you ovulate, you will menstruate within a couple of weeks, no matter how long the time was before ovulating, so you're probably right in thinking that she hasn't ovulated at all. But the ovulation test strips are what did the trick for me. We got pregnant the first time around when I started using them. :)

This is the pack I bought: http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/midstreamtes.html

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Longpig posted:

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Ma_NiC posted:

Got my results back and everything is normal this time, hooray! Not sure exactly what happened the last time, but everything is fine now. I was really skeptical of the previous results, and thankfully with good cause. I am so relieved.

Sweet!! That is great news!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

slowfoot posted:

Hi everyone.

We've been trying since February with no success. We were sort of haphazard about it at first, but now my husband sees it as some kind of personal affront that he can't get me pregnant :) Doesn't help that everyone we know has gotten pregnant and had their kids. We'll probably wait until the year's passed before seeking out any kind of medical advice, but it's still a little frustrating.

Oh, and I'm stressed right now because I took a pregnancy test two days ago and it was faintly positive (the little line was there, but pretty light). But I've been having cramps off and on all day :( and my period is due anytime. I just don't really have anyone I can talk to about this because it's too early to get excited or depressed either way. So I'll tell you guys. Thanks for listening.

I hope it turns out to be a positive pregnancy! If it's the blue line kind, those are notorious for being idiotic, so if you don't get your period soon and you want to try another one, go all out and buy one of the digital ones that says "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant." No chance for errors there. :)

If you're not pregnant, you might want to consider charting your ovulation. "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is an amazing book, and gives you some awesome tools to use to figure out when you're most fertile. I was planning on charting my cycle as well as using ovulation test strips, but my husband and I got supremely lucky and got pregnant the first time around from using ovu strips alone. But I imagine when we're ready to try for #2 we'll do full on charting.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Longpig posted:

Go team uterus, I'm pregnant again! :D

I tested yesterday and got a very depressing negative (it was on a digital so not ambiguous at all)... but then my temperature was still super high this morning so I tested with early morning pee and bam, there it is.

Woo!! Congrats, Longpig! :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

slowfoot posted:

Congrats!

I'm pregnant :) so I guess I'll have to move on to the 'knocked up' thread.

Wooo! Congrats! I still post in both threads ;)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Right on! Glad you posted in here, and I'm really glad to hear TCOYF has shed some light for you! That book is a freaking godsend for anyone who doesn't have absolutely regular, spot on periods and ovulation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!! PS, I did get pregnant the first time around trying after learning about testing for ovulation, so it can happen. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Some women ovulate really quickly-- for them, testing more than once a day is sometimes helpful, because between one morning test and the next morning test, ovulation may have already occurred. When I was trying to get pregnant, I abandoned the manufacturer's suggestion of peeing on an ovu strip every other day and went straight to every day. When I started to detect an LH surge, I tested twice a day. It apparently worked for me, as we got pregnant the first go around.

I would chart for a couple of months and see if you notice the same quick temp changes and the corresponding cervical mucous changes. If so, then you might want to think of yourself as a quick ovulator and go from there. If it turns out that this was an anomaly based on your irregular cycle length, then you'll know too. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I can totally sympathize, Twatty Seahag. I was an emotional wreck when I went off the pill, after having been on it for 12 years. Really, I'm no different now, but that's because I actually am pregnant now :D. But it did get better for me, and it didn't take more than a couple of months. I hope it's the same for you!

And yeah, nthing TCOYF. It's a mind-blowing book. I learned so much from it, even in the short time I used it (I got pregnant first time we actually tried aligning sex with my fertile days). I am actually excited to be able to put it to good use after this baby, especially when we decide we're ready to try for #2.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^ I also could have written that post myself a year ago. You're definitely not alone, dishonesty. :)

I did buy TCOYF, and began to check my cervical mucous and basal temperature daily, but it was ovu strips that really did it for me. I tossed out the instructions that said to test every other day and went straight to every day. When I thought I detected a little LH surge, I began to test twice a day, after having heard many stories of women who ovulate so quickly that one day a surge will show up and the next it will be gone. This method worked for us, since I got pregnant the first go-around. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, if you track your mucous and basal temps and use ovu strips when you notice changes, you'll probably do fine, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen the first time around. But we're all pulling for you!

PS: Ovu strips are really, really cheap at https://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com. They typically come with free pregnancy tests as well when you buy the ovu strips, but I have heard mixed reactions with the accuracy of the preggo strips. Mine worked fine and showed me pregnant five weeks after fertilization, but others have reported that they got false negatives and the fancy shmancy digital preggo tests from the drugstore gave accurate positives.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Absolutely, as long as you establish that they work for you (there's a small portion of the population who they don't work for). It's been said before but bears repeating: with ovu strips, you might have to mess around a bit with how often to test. The directions that come with them say to test every other day, if I'm not mistaken. That might work well for some people, but my ovulation cycle's short enough that I tested daily until I noticed a small surge, then twice a day during the surge to make sure I had it covered. So you can try it for a month or two testing less often, but if you find that you're not detecting surges, you might want to try daily or even twice daily.

vvvvv This is very, very, very good advice, and I am ashamed I didn't include it in my post.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

annaconda posted:

I may be channeling Dr Phil here, but is it possible that he is so upset at the idea that he can't have his "own" children that he is telling himself he doesn't want any at all? He could be trying to block the pain...

...or I could be a complete dumbass with no idea what's going through his mind.

Either way, that's not fair of him. Testicular cancer isn't fair either, but there is more than one way to become a parent, as you've discussed. It's not fair that he should pull the plug on all the options.

Nah, you're probably onto something, even if he is feeling that subconsciously and not really understanding it.

Papaya, I am so sorry to hear you're having trouble with your relationship. I think what I would do in your situation is talk more about it (not constantly, but on some occasions), and see how he reacts to it. As time goes on, he might change his mind-- but you're right, if he doesn't, it's going to be up to you to decide if you're willing to give up having a family. I haven't personally experienced what you're going through, but it did take a year for me to convince my husband it was time to have kids, so in some ways I can relate.

• Locked thread