Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So I got my Mirena taken out this past Monday, and I had some bleeding today- heavier than 'spotting', but I don't know if I would consider it a period (although it's period blood color, not bright red). I haven't gotten a period since I had the Mirena put in in 2013, so I have no clue where I was in my cycle when it was taken out. Is bleeding post-IUD removal normal? I've been on some type of birth control since like 2004, so I don't even know what my free range periods/"natural cycle" are like anymore.

Also, since I'm curious about the whole thing and don't want to ride my poor loving husband into the ground if he doesn't want to be, what brand of cheap LH strips do people seem to like here? I tested similar things at my last job, but I don't want to spend the $$ on the hospital grade ones.

To echo a previous poster, it's weird to have sex and not worry about birth control.

Dori posted:

Re the sperm analysis. We were told that my husbands sperm are borderline but both the doctor and technician emphasised that the tests are pretty low accuracy as they literally take a small sample, and someone stares at them through a microscope and counts them manually.

Ah the glamorous life of a medical lab tech. Also, sample handling affects sperm count results pretty dramatically since sperm are sensitive, finicky creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I've really liked the Trader Joe's brand prenatal once-daily vitamin. I take it when I get home from work in the afternoon, because it's roughly the size of a horse pill, but it doesn't bother my stomach and doesn't uh slow things down too much. There's some internet murmuring that it's the same manufacturer as the expensive/well rated Rainbow Light ones.

There's no point in taking more supplements on top of a multivitamin unless directed by a doctor. You'll just a) pee out the extra or b) retain non-water soluble vitamins with possibly harmful side effects.

Gosh I'm new to this circle of internet, but man the signatures and use of acronyms on trying to conceive/pregnancy/etc. boards are truly something special.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

IANAD but the CDC recommends that women who are off bc and are sexually active should not drink. They do not want to go on record giving an 'acceptable' level of alcohol to pregnant and maybe-pregnant women's. BUT honestly an occasional glass of wine as you describe isn't going to be a problem. The danger comes primarily from heavy daily or binge drinking behavior, and especially since you guys are watching your health, looking for pregnancy symptoms, and will probably test asap, having a small drink isn't really a problem.

Of course, not drinking or rare drinking is better overall for your health so there ya go.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah I get the impression that the CDC recommendation is more geared towards preventing the 'I haven't gotten my period in three months but whatever I'm still going to party hard' kind of situations. It's not really applicable to the actively trying to conceive light drinker.

At the end of the day, you're a person, not just a vessel for a potential baby, and it's important to not police your own behavior to the point where you get bitter.

(I do hate being hemmed into my job, though :/)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Toriori posted:

Question: are there any forums/online communities that are for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive and also the community is not completely batshit insane?

Short answer: No.

The Bump is still crazy and kind of bitchy, but I think the spelling and grammar are consistently better than a lot of other boards so there's that. They also shut down a lot of the symptom spotting/pregnancy test posting stuff that gets super old. (On a more somber note, their miscarriage board is actually very supportive and sane and I found it really helpful after I had mine. Hopefully nobody here has to use it, but I'd recommend that part of the community.)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I know that usually OBs recommend getting a work up if you don't conceive within a year of trying, but do you guys know if there's a different timeline after a surgical procedure? I unfortunately miscarried my last pregnancy (which I conceived pretty much immediately after discontinuing bc) and had to get a D&E. It's been a couple months of trying now (almost 6 months post procedure) and I'm curious as to what point I should consider that we might be having some trouble and it's not just bad luck. Things seem to be functioning normally, but I don't really want to waste time, if that makes sense.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah, it was the latter unfortunately. I was down to the "<2% chance of this happening" window of the pregnancy. We waited the two months that they suggested, and just finished our 3rd month of trying again. I know in the long run this *really* isn't very much time trying, I just want to have a point on my radar where I won't feel silly calling the doctor about following up. She did offer to do an HSG to rule out some stuff, but I'm not sure if I want to do it. It can be tough because I think my husband thought things would go as quickly the second time around and I think it's wearing pretty hard on him.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Well I finally qualify for infertility testing after having a really rough second trimester miscarriage last year. Hoping nothing got particularly screwed up by my surgery, but I just... haven't gotten pregnant again after such a short time trying the first time.

I hope if there's a problem that it's easily remedied, but the idea of getting pregnant again is also pretty scary :( I was three days late this month and it was such an emotional roller coaster.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah, sometimes urine isn’t concentrated enough later in the day to turn a test positive at the early stages of pregnancy. Have her take a test first thing in the morning the next day. Sometimes dr’s offices will want to draw a blood Hcg test to confirm- those aren’t affected by time of day.

I get to go in for my day 3 blood work on Sunday- I guess I feel ok that at least I’m doing something about not getting anywhere.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

nyerf posted:

How'd it go BS? Or did you mean they just did a blood draw on Sunday and you haven't heard results yet?

Oh, thanks for checking :) I went in at the beginning of the month. Hormonally, things look good, which I’m grateful for. Had an HSG yesterday. It was very unpleasant, but they want me to come back for a follow up hysteroscopy to check out the degree of uterine funk I’ve got (not their words). Guess I’ll get to give my insurance coverage a workout.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

nyerf posted:

That's good to hear about the hormones. What sort of uterine funk are they thinking? Polyp or something? Here's hoping your tubes were clear--I hear having a HSG can sometimes unstick stuck-together uterine tubes too. Good luck!

I ovulated yesterday, so the two week wait begins again.

Best of luck this cycle! I’ve heard good things about that stuff.

I guess they’re trying to tell whether I have an arcuate (weird but fine) or partial septate uterus (weird but less fine). It shouldn’t be causing infertility, so that’s still unexplained, but if it’s septate sometimes they can take care of that relatively easily and it could avoid problems in later pregnancy assuming I ever get there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Congratulations to the both of you, and best of luck!!

My medical adventures are being postponed because my period is here with a vengeance this month and that’ll make looking at my uterus with a camera pretty tough. Maybe the HSG kickstarted something because, tmi, I haven’t had one this heavy since before I got pregnant the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Good luck, RabbitMage! There’s always the option of temping to track ovulation, but if she’s normally pretty regular it might not be worth the hassle.

I don’t have a great idea of where I’m at in this whole trying to get knocked up journey. I hope all the problems I’ve had are independent and just chained bad luck. I broke my ~15 month infertility streak with a positive test, which unfortunately turned into a chemical pregnancy at the start of February. I think the HSG in November did kind of clear something up, and now I’m back to my baseline fertility. I hope. Hopefully the very early miscarriage was just of the ~1/4 pregnancies end this way kind of thing and not some underlying problem. It’s tough and scary not having any answers.

But man, statistics are no comfort to me at all anymore (and I usually love statistics!)

• Locked thread