Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Return of Sextappin posted:

If you're having trouble making babies you should consider adoption. There are so many unloved babies out there...

There was a thread a while ago, dispelling that exact line of thought. It's highly costly, you and your partner are vigourously tested and humiliated, and put on a waiting list -- and that's only domestic adoption. International adoption has more barriers.

Aardvarklet posted:

So if I were only having sex in the days leading up to day 14, and maybe even right after that, it wouldn't be close enough to my actual ovulation day to work.

This was a while ago, but I've done a reproductive biology unit in my neuroscience degree. IIRC, if you have sex ONCE on day fourteen, you are only 14% likely to become pregnant. The effectiveness of becoming pregnant is like a bell curve overtime, peaking at day 14 (I think it was day 14. I had pregnancy brain at the time-- go figure). I figure if you just start loving at the first sign of mucus change until it's done being the lubiest lube ever, you increase your chances. I personally consider cervical mucus more telling of fertiling than basal temperature. Basal temperature can be altered by you feeling slightly turned on, or flustered, or if you're feeling slightly ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Google Embryo posted:

Can anyone tell me about infertility drugs and breastfeeding? I'm reading don't do it, but I think this is based more on you having a slightly higher chance of not getting pregnant while breastfeeding due to the increased prolactin. I really can't understand why I wouldn't be able to breastfeed when the medications I'd be taking would just be synthetic versions of the hormones my body would be producing anyway. I'm waiting until Lucy is over 1 year old before we start trying for another anyway because breastfeeding for at least a year is mandatory for me, but I'd like to breastfeed for longer than this if possible because Lucy is very needy and I have a feeling she'll want to do it for a longer period of time than most kids would. Note that I haven't spoken to a fertility endocrinologist yet, this is just based on what I've read around the internet.

I can think of a couple of women on the normal BC Pill that still breastfeeds (why they do that, I do not know). So, on the back of that, I don't see why you CAN'T try infertility drugs. On the other hand, I don't know what *possible* side effects there are between REAL oestrogens and synthetic ones, and I don't want you litigious-happy yanks to come after me with a blockade of lawyers ;). So :iiam:

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Azulita posted:

That's funny - we're having trouble with boy names (even though we knew our fertility method had a high rate of boy conceptions) but Logan is near the top of our list.

Roxy - they do the sparkly banner thing at my infertility board but they are all normal people. It's on a popular pregnancy/child board that is loaded with sparkly crap but the infertility board keeps it too a minimum. Everyone is too busy talking about E2 levels and Clomid dosages and such.

If you're still stuck on boy names, Alex is pretty rad. :coal:

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

We're not actually trying until July, because I have a variety of psych issues and winter brings horrible depression for me. I figured that I should make sure I'm having a spring or summer baby, because if it's winter when I deliver and then postpartum depression hits on top of that, I'll be one of those ladies who drowns her babies in a bathtub. Of course then I'm going to have to struggle with being pregnant during the time my depression peaks, but that seems like the less risky option to me.

Yes because babies hibernate during winter and aren't difficult at all.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

That does sound a lot better and thought out. Good luck to you.

• Locked thread