Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Not sure whether this is an appropriate thread for me to post in, as I haven't been STC--so if you tell me to butt out, I will. That said, my husband and I had a condom break awhile back; I don't think I should have been fertile then, but now my period is four days late. I want to wait to test until Monday--I have the EPT tests, and picked up the idea from this thread that they are not particularly sensitive--but I'm caught between wanting to know as soon as possible and wanting to get an accurate result the first time. What's my best course of action? We hadn't been planning a child, but a pregnancy would be good news, just unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Got a negative. The reason I asked is because the last time I was pregnant, I didn't test positive until six weeks, and even then only first thing in the morning. Is that super weird? Ah, well--the suspense continues!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I posted way earlier in the thread--in fact, about a month ago. Here is my story!

About five weeks ago, I thought I might be pregnant--tested, got a negative, then had a very short period about a week late. Expected period today, no period, decided to test because I have these extra tests still--very faint test line, strong control line. [Only have cell phone for pix, and they don't pick up faint line.] Does that mean what I think it might?

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

It was a pink one. :shobon:

edit: it's a clear line, just paler than the other one. Husband looked at the test and got all misty-eyed, so I guess we're assuming a pos.

Susan B. Antimony fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2009

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Well, now I've started to have some bleeding--guess I'm that rare false positive. =/ Does this mean I need to mistrust any future positive results?

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

It would have been a surprise...but a nice surprise. Ah, well. Cheers, ladies.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Good luck, Fire. My situation is in some ways similar to yours--I'd like a kid, I'm 26 and husband is 30 [backwards twins!], but the husband wants to wait. He's got good reasons, but I do hope for an accident. Hope things go quickly for you.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Good luck, Longpig. So sorry about your loss.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Congratulations, Fire!! I'm so happy for you. :3:

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I know that many of the ladies in this thread are having a much worse time that I am, and I want to vent here, but first a caveat; I know that I am relatively fortunate, and know that my troubles don't compare, really.

So I've been having kind of a weird summer. My husband and I aren't really trying for a kid yet--next September is our official start time--because he wants to save up some money first. That said, we'd both be delighted by an accident. In my previous pregnancy, I tested negative until six weeks in, FWIW. So in June we moved, and my period was over a week late--I never tested pregnant, but then the eventual period was super heavy and painful, and I didn't know wtf. July, I miscounted and thought my period was due a day earlier than it actually was, tested the day before it was due, got a faint positive--and then got my period the next day. Somewhat depressed. So now it is August, my period is a day late, I test negative. I know that I'm not pregnant, but I still kind of want to hope that I am, but I'm not, but I know that I'll be disappointed when I do get my period again. [/selfpity]

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Congrats, Pixi!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I had no desire for kids at all until I was twenty-four--then I wanted kids sometime before I turned thirty, but not soon. I'm twenty-seven now, and do want badly to have a child...but my husband and I are waiting another year or two so that we can be better financially prepared. I do think that a good-sized chunk of it is hormonal, at least for me--but I like kids and babies, always have, and look forward to finding out what ours might be like.

That said, I did have a few months of "crazy for baby" the way you're talking about, after I placed a child for adoption. That was pretty obviously the hormones, and it was completely nuts. A lot of women get pregnant within a year of placing their kids, and I can totally understand why--but I managed to keep using birth control and wait for the hormones to leave my body.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

There are agencies she can work with--but most of them won't work with a women who doesn't already have her own children, so if she isn't a mom, she probably needs to table the idea.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

America.

She has a one year old, and had an absolutely flawless pregnancy and labor.

Well, hey! Good news! Next step: Where does she live? Agencies are generally reluctant/unwilling to work with women in AK , AL , AZ , DC , HI , IA , ID , IN , LA , MI , MO , MS , MT , ND , NE , NH , NJ , NM , NY , RI , SC , SD , WA , & WY. Also, what kind of health insurance does she have? Most (nonmilitary) policies specifically exclude surrogacy, and some require that the surrogate pay her entire fee to the insurance company. Of course, this is something an agency can go over with her. She will have to have a physical, counseling, and most likely a credit check. If that still sounds good, she should google "surrogacy agency" and go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I don't know of a particular agency, I'm afraid; I'm just a weird repository of information about ART and adoption.

The laws in those states are "unfavorable to surrogacy"; usually what that means is that in those states, a pregnant woman is treated like a mother, period. In California, the state with the most favorable surrogacy laws, a gestational surrogate doesn't have custody of the baby at any time. In some states, the surrogate has to surrender the baby for adoption.

Surrogacy is pretty odd. It's incredibly expensive ($75k-$150k, although if you go overseas you can get it done for ~$30k), and in a domestic surrogacy, the intended parents often want a level of control that would make most potential gestational carriers uncomfortable: I heard one mom-by-surrogacy talking about how she just had to grit her teeth and accept that her surrogate would occasionally eat goldfish crackers.

• Locked thread