Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I broke my basal thermometer :cry:

I was shaking it down last night to be ready for the morning and it slipped from my hand and flew across the room and hit the wall breaking it. At least I already ovulated this month.

Waiting to hear the results of my blood test and sonogram they took of my insides. Hopefully its all good news and we've just been unlucky! My family is gone after visiting for the week. Thank god I no longer have to listen to my mom telling me I should have a baby. (they don't know we're trying. I don't need the stress of her calling me every day and asking me if I'm pregnant yet and giving me advise on how to do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Got my tests back and all my stuff looks good. I think we've just been unlucky. Going based on how I personally feel my body is functioning, I think I didn't have a good until this past July after going off the pill in January. I feel relieved. The Dr. said we could do a semen analysis, but I'm not actually sure if our insurance would cover it. There's not reason for me to think that's an issue though. If we go 6 more months and there's nothing we'll look into getting one done.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

yumemiru posted:

We're young, have sex everyday, yet another month, another period.

Whats worse is that somehow my period has gotten completely off schedule, more painful and dramatic.

I really didn't expect myself to get so stressed out over this.

/rant

Get this book and read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254663131&sr=8-1

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test lne being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

I'm just doubting my ability to know if I'm going to be ovulating soon since I just had my D&C less than 2 weeks ago, but all signs seem to be pointing to this weekend. Bonus: we can have sex again starting on Thursday!

I use them. My positive line is never really as dark as the test one, but its pretty noticeable and my temp went up 2 days later. I have no idea what it means if its super light but there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What sort of thermometer are you using?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

A Digital Rite Aid thermometer. I was using a different one for the last ten days of the previous cycle (when I started charting) but wasn't sure of it's accuracy, so I got a new one. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and our little Rite Aid is rather pathetic and only had two thermometer options.

When I first started monitoring my temp. I was using a digital basal thermometer, but it wasn't reading my temperature very well. I would take it and get one reading and take it again and get a grossly different reading. Its possible your having issues like I was. I switched to one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Basal-Thermometer-Mercury-Temperature/dp/B000KIOB98/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1257974049&sr=8-5

and I measure my temp by holding it under my armpit for 15- 20 minutes. If you sleep breathing through your mouth, it can affect your temp when you take it. My charts use to be all over the place and as soon as I switched to this method, they've been pretty solid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Twatty Seahag posted:

Would ovu-strips be useful to someone currently AVOIDING pregnancy and trying to figure out their cycle? If so I might get some, plus then I'll have them when we start trying. :)

You should still be *very careful* and use protection for a couple of cycles until you have it totally figured out. Sperm can live inside you for up to 5 days if the condition is right. Ovulation tests only tell you if you're going to ovulate in the next couple hours/day. So if you have unprotected sex on Monday, test positive for ovulation on Tuesday, and ovulate on Wednesday, you still have a good chance of getting pregnant as if you had sex when you tested positive. If you absolutely do not want to get pregnant at all I wouldn't use ovulation strips to gauge when to have unprotected sex or not.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Exelsior posted:

We started trying in September, and I only just got a period. Every time I take an OPK it reads positive. It looks like I will be having trouble, and I am really glad I started young.

If you haven't already, you should really go see you ob/gyn.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dishonesty posted:

This is my first month off the pill and I should be getting my period NOWish. According to a standard 28 day cycle I should have started it 2 days ago, so it's now day 30.

A lot of women don't have 28 day cycles. Mine are usually between 35 - 40.

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'll let you in on my secret (keep in mind this doesn't work as perfectly for everyone as it did for me)-- I never tested my mucous. I just used ovu strips every day, and when I detected a tiny LH surge, I tested twice a day. First go around, we got pregnant. So I'm one of the ones who ovu strips work well for; there's a small percentage of women for whom they don't work at all-- they either always test positive for an LH surge or they never show one at all. But for me, it worked perfectly! :ssh:

The plus side to mucous is its free. :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got my period yesterday. This indicates I'm not pregnant (also took a test to be extra sure) and my luteal phase is too short. Way to short. It was 7 days. Does anyone have any experience with having a short luteal phase? I read up on it and it doesn't seem to be a big issue for most people since there are a lot of treatments for it, but I'm still bummed. I was so hoping that since I'm healthy and my husband's healthy that we wouldn't have too much trouble trying to conceive. I'm relieved I'm charting though, since otherwise I would have no idea there was a problem. I'm just frustrated.

Well both me and my husband are healthy and as of the end of this month we've been trying for a year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ma_NiC posted:

Question: If you have a few days of random spotting before starting your period, does that actually mark the beginning of your menstrual cycle, or does the opening of the blood gates count? Ever since I went over a month without my period, it's done this every time, and it's really annoying. I never had this problem before.

I use one of those charting programs and it doesn't start counting until the blood gates since spotting is marked differently.

My lady parts feel like they're doing all sorts of odd things. I should be getting my period this weekend or early next week though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It's such an emotional roller-coaster each month with the anticipation, the hope, and then the disappointment. I'm trying my darnedest not to be so bummed about it every month but it doesn't work too well.

I know how you feel. We've been trying for a year now. I've been to the doctor and they did tests and she said there's nothing wrong with me and my husband has sperm so she has no idea why I'm not getting pregnant. I guess we're just really loving unlucky.

We've decided not to focus on it anymore. I'm not going to be tracking my temp and worrying because it just gets so taxing. I mean I know when I'm going to ovulate from my cervical mucous so I know when we should have sex, but we're not going to focus so much on it. We're going to focus on living a more healthy, less stressful lifestyle. Other than stress, we live pretty well, we eat and get exercise and all that, but we're going to work even harder at it and trying not to be stressed out over work and hopefully that'll help. If I'm still not pregnant by after summer then I'm going to go to the doctor again and see if there's anything else we can do that's not super expensive. If I'm not pregnant by christmas next year I think we're going to look into international adoption.

It sucks balls. I feel like I'm a failure since I can't do something that every living organism should be capable of doing. My husband is being a little unintentionally insensitive I think and it can hurt a bit. He's already looking at adoption agencies and wants us to start looking and applying now. I told him I want to wait a year. He says adopting takes so long we should start the process now. It just feels like he thinks its never going to happen so we should just give up. :smith:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

Forgive me for not remembering, but did your tests include an HSG?

They did a blood tests and an ultrasound where they stick the wand up in you shortly after I ovulated and everything looked good and my blood tests came back fine.

I'm not sure how much my health insurance would pay for infertility treatments if at all so I'm guessing everything would have to be out of pocket. I couldn't see us spending more than a couple thousand. We'd rather spend more money to adopt and have it be a sure thing than thousands and thousands on fertility treatments that may or may not work when there's babies out there that need a home.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

Ask your doctor about an HSG and see if your insurance covers it. They inject dye in to your uterus and fallopian tubes through your cervix, and take a series of radiographic images that track the progress of the dye. Things like blocked fallopian tubes won't show up on an ultrasound. The process has also been known to unblock tubes and allow fertilization to take place (I have not 1, but 3 friends that this happened to). HSGs are becoming more and more routine these days, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if your insurance covered it.

It could also reveal a more serious problem. A friend of mine had an HSG done and it showed that her left fallopian tube was seriously deformed and starting to adhere to her intestines. She had to have the tube removed, and her doctor thinks it saved her from more serious complications down the line.

Oh yeah. I didn't know what the test was called. The doctor said that would be an option if I don't get pregnant but wanted to wait since it can be a bit uncomfortable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alterian, you're tracking your cervical mucous, which is great, but have you tried ovulation strips as well?

Several months of it. My cycles are on the longer end, but they're pretty regular.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pixi posted:

The anti-estrogenic effects of the Clomid dried me up and kept my cervix closed up tight.

This works for me at least, but drinking a cup of fresh squeezed grape fruit juice with my breakfast makes me a lot...ah...wetter. Its almost like I'm ready to go all the time!

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/grapefruit-juice-and-cervical-mucus/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tatiana posted:

(which is an active ingredient in over the cunter expectorants)

Aaahaha was this a purposeful typo?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Roxy Rouge posted:

As long as it is reasonably sane, I'm good. I am not a total grinch-just not a super girly girl. Please point me in that direction:)

My problem with the boards its not the girly girl stuff, but to me not using proper terms like "sex" and "period" seems really childish and immature. I'd also be scared I'd be kicked off for not using their nauseating terminology.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

dishonesty posted:

But seriously... the DH/DD/DS thing I can maybe cope with, and TTC for trying to conceive, because it's long. But DTD (did the deed) and things like that do my head in.

How bout "My husband and I had sex."
I'd be tempted to start my own acronyms: FMMO/TTB hosed my mind out/tied to bed

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

yawnie posted:

I'm not actually using any particular method, maybe saying NFP was the wrong way to put it. I'm basically using websites like using fertilityfriend.com and mymonthlycharts.com to help me track my temperatures, cervical fluid, position, etc. and other symptoms to determine when I ovulate, and around my fertile days we use a backup method like condoms or spermicide, etc. Hormones were killing me and I've always been really in tune with my body since puberty so this has been working wonderfully for us, and I feel like it will make me that much more ready and able once we decide to get pregnant.

You really should read a method about it. If I was trying not to get pregnant, I wouldn't solely rely on ovulation tests since you're actually fertile up to 5 days prior to it testing that you're going to ovulate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

loving fail. I woke up at 6am and had to pee so I was going to test. Got to the bathroom and my period had started. I am so loving angry.

At least you didn't waste a pregnancy test!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

How very glass half full of you. :)

Pregnancy tests can be expensive. I hate taking one and getting a negative and getting my period an hour later.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Longpig posted:

I've mostly spent the afternoon finding out that my insurance does not cover fertility treatments, so I'm probably screwed anyway unless it turns out to be something like a clotting disorder I can treat with baby aspirin.

loving RIGHT ON! :suicide:

...and people say misogyny isn't a big deal anymore.

Have you looked into a gluten intolerance? Not necessarily celiac disease, but something called non celiac gluten intolerance. Its a bit controversial, but one of the symptoms is problems getting pregnant/miscarriage. I honestly think this is my issue (I have other health issues as well) and I've stopped eating anything with gluten in it and its cleared up a lot of other health issues I was having.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 11, 2010

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I thought I'd give a little update. I have a new primary doctor and got some new blood tests done. I am mildly hypothyroid and I have non celiac gluten intolerance. Its weird an complicated, but I'm in the process of totally changing my diet and lifestyle in the next month so hopefully my body will be getting on the right track. After next week (I have a wedding to go to next weekend. Its too hectic for me to start now) I'm going to be following the real foods diet. http://www.ninaplanck.com/ It should be interesting. I've only had one or two servings of wheat a week (its harrrrd to give it up completely all at once) and eating things to help my thyroid for the past two weeks and I've already lost 10 pounds eating the same amount of calories :aaa:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is your energy level ridiculous now? I have a mild gluten intolerance, and when I went on a diet to tackle it, I was blown away at how much energy I had. It was insane, it was like I was on speed. I don't eat the same way anymore, but I'm close to it, being diabetic.

I wake up at 6:30 in the morning now every day without my alarm clock. Even on the weekends. :argh:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Nobody knows my husband and I are trying to have a kid but us and an internet friend of mine. My mom is already hounding me to have a kid and if she knew it was taking us a while for it to happen she'd NEVER leave me alone. It sounds sort of weird, but I don't like to talk about sex with my mom.

Its really awkward. Her sex talk with me when I was 13 (yes, she waited till I was 13 to give me a sex talk. I had already learned all about it from school though) "Don't have sex until you're married. I did!" (that was a lie) and that was it. She semi freaked out when she found out I lost my virginity at 18 and in college. I just can't talk to her about that sort of stuff at all. This is why with our kids we're going to have an open and honest communication about that stuff.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I really don't like other people's kids. Its sort of similar. I actually get sort of annoyed when people fawn and get gushy around babies. I just don't feel it. I can't wait to have my own baby with my husband though cause our kid is gonna kick so much rear end and be better than all the kids from the losers I know having babies. :cool:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

anythingbutbloo posted:

I was never one to gush about having babies or pregnancy in general -- I've never been around babies, never really held one, certainly never changed one -- I always just sorta said, "yeah sure, I'll have kids some day."

I think this is part of my problem. My mom had my brother when I was 3. I was never around my younger cousins when they were babies because we always lived in another city. I only saw my older cousin's kid once when she was a baby. We didn't have any family friends with babies when I was older either. I feel just as awkward around old people since my mom made me stop talking to my grandparents when I was 12 so I've never really been around anyone that's really old and I always feel awkward.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm on day 42 since the start of my last period. I think my longest cycle was about 41 or 42 days back when I was tracking it. This was a really weird cycle. I spotted a couple times in the middle of it (very lightly) and I never spot between my periods. I have no pregnancy symptoms though. Maybe I should buy a test? :ohdear:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

drat. I think I'm getting my period. I'm thinking about getting that one test where they map your insides with dye done (whatever its called) since my HSA has money built up into it.

Do those hurt? I have a pretty high uncomfortable/pain thresh hold. Regular gyn exams don't bother me in the least.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2010

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Silver Lining.

My husband and I just got laid off. Its probably a good thing I haven't gotten pregnant yet.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're video game artists. Lots of those jobs around!

We'll be ok on unemployment. I can't afford to get insurance, but my husband at least can go to the VA.

If we can hold out till the end of summer my husband can *hopefully* get a full time teaching gig at the community college. He teaches one class a week there now.

This totally came out of the blue. Nobody had the slightest inkling this was going to happen.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can also chart by holding the thermometer in your arm pit. I think you have to hold it there longer. I would set my alarm for 15 minutes before I wanted to get up and just doze for 15 minutes with it under my arm.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

kuroneko107 posted:

Bumping the thread up :)

Does anyone have an experience with hypothyroidism and trying to get pregnant? We've only been trying for a few months (and not doing anything special with it) but my cycles are kinda outta whack right now and upon doing some reading it looks like it may be harder for me to get pregnant this time around :/ With my son, I had hyperthyroidism and have since had radiation to have my thyroid killed.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience with this because I have no idea if i should bring my concerns up to my regular gyno, or see a reproductive endocrinologist or what. My regular endo doesn't know poo poo about pregnancy so he's useless to ask as well. Advice? I'm totally kinda lost

I'm mild hypothyroid, but I'm trying to fix it naturally since its not super bad, but we were trying for a year and 3 months and I didn't get pregnant. We have to take a break from it since my husband and I both got laid off. It wasn't until the last couple months we really figured out I was hypothyroid and started to treat it so I'm hoping by the time we can try again I'll be healthy. You have to have it under control before you get pregnant cause it can cause problems with your baby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Banana Cat posted:

Good luck, longpig! I'll be thinking of you too.

So a couple of weeks ago I finally had a period, and started charting--as an aside, to anyone else who's hesitant about buying Taking Charge of Your Fertility, like I was, go for it! I was using an old digital thermometer I found in our bathroom cabinet and deemed it "Probably good enough for now." Since all my waking temps for the last couple of weeks have been around the same, I figured I was okay, but the last couple of days I've been getting weird readings. Today I woke up and the thermometer read 96.5. Since that seemed absurdly low, even for me, I grabbed a digital thermometer my husband's using for some medical study (it's brand-new and nice) and it read 97.7, not even 30 seconds after I took my temp with the first thermometer. So I'm thinking the first old thermometer's batteries are dying, or something, but what should I do about charting? Should I just ignore today's temp and pick up charting again tomorrow with the new thermometer?

I probably might not think of it as a big deal, except over the weekend I had lower right abdominal pain and yesterday I had midcycle spotting, which clued me in that I might actually be ovulating. I was hoping a thermal shift might confirm it, but now I'm not sure what to do about my thermometers.

When I was charting my temps I had poo poo luck with using a digital one. I got an old fashioned basal thermometer from amazon and charted it by holding it under my armpit to get a reading.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Grapefruit can lessen the effects of birth control too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

How much grapefruit do you have to eat for this to actually make a difference?

Not sure! If you google grapefruit and birth control it brings up articles and studies.
http://contraceptivereviewer.com/grapefruit-and-low-dose-birth-control-pills-a-risky-cocktail/

The funny thing is people recommend grapefruit when you're trying to conceive cause it can help you produce more fertile fluid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The oval office Pickle posted:

I was considering using the BBT method.

Anyone have experience with this thermometer?
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/bbt-thermometers.html

Or any better ones/methods of predicting ovulation?

I didn't have any luck with a digital thermometer. I'd take my temp and take it again and it'd be a completely different number. When 1/10ths of a degree matter, it wasn't working for me. I actually use one like this http://www.amazon.com/Geratherm-Basal-Mercury-Free-Thermometer/dp/B0013NB6CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1287407157&sr=8-1
and hold it in my arm pit for 15 minutes since its suppose to be more accurate than taking your temp in your mouth.

I guess the most accurate spot is to stick it in your vagina, but I just can't do that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband gets jealous of ovulation test strips cause I get to pee on something and he doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Moosephant posted:

I can imagine the dude pissing on ovulation test strips so he can take part in the experience.

:ssh: I think he just likes to pee on things.

• Locked thread