Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.
My fiance and I are getting married in early September, with the intention of starting our family shortly thereafter. I'm concerned about the fact that she's going to be 35 a few weeks after the wedding and doesn't want to go off of the pill until her last set of pills for 2009 run out - so she can "enjoy being married" and the holidays without having to worry about something like having wine with dinner affecting an early pregnancy.

Does it really take that long for the body to re-adjust after going off of the pill? I've heard three months, but she's on a "low-dose" pill and apparently it doesn't take quite as long with those? She has had friends go off of the pill and get pregnant very quickly afterward, and almost seems to be banking on that happening with us. Though, I feel like she's disregarding the fact that it's 5 years later and one of those same friends (same age as her) is having a really hard time conceiving child #2.

Basically, I want to respect her wishes, but I just can't help but remain constantly concerned in the back of my head about possible complications with conception as well as during the pregnancy the longer we hold off. On the other hand, she's only going off of the pill three months later than I suggested, so it's not THAT long...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Some months ago, I posted a question regarding getting yourself mentally prepared to start trying to get pregnant. Apparently, it either came off as a lame troll attempt or wasn't particularly compelling because nobody had anything to say! ;)

I'm re-writing this, because it comes across as really disjointed. Suffice to say, I'm a little anxious. My wife and I finally started trying to conceive recently, obviously off of the pill and condoms are reserved for those nights where one or both of us has a bout of "oh my god, should we really be trying to have a kid right now?" And long story short, I think it might have worked already.

Now, we're very cautious to not get ahead of ourselves. Like some of you in this thread, my sister has been having a lot of trouble conceiving, and has been trying for well over a year now. So, that hits close to home and we have that fear in the back of our minds. Especially since my wife is a year older than my sister (35,34).
On the other hand, here are the facts: My wife should have started her period by now. At the very least, she should at least be seeing some spotting by now. To counter this, we remind ourselves that (before going on the pill) she would sometimes be a few days late.
About two weeks ago, she started to experience a bit of nausea. It's only shown up a few times, but is significant in doing so because she almost never experiences nausea of any sort. We still blew it off, for the most part, until the nausea showed up a couple more times. And then it was accompanied by tender breasts.

The only PMS symptoms to show up have been the occasional mood swing...but those showed up around the same time as the first bout of nausea, which is obviously way early. She always has at least mild cramps (they would sometimes get really bad before she went on the pill), and definitely gets a few pimples...none of which have shown themselves.

So, I went and purchased the first pregnancy tests of my life. She's been holding off on taking one because she's been told something about doing them too early and false negatives or whatever. What are the experiences around here? I'm obviously fine with whatever she's going to be most comfortable with.

I have a feeling maybe she's holding off for tomorrow, because it's my birthday. On one hand, best birthday present ever. On the other hand, there could be some severe disappointment. We'll see.

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Only a couple of days, at this point.

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

AHHH THE FRENCH posted:

I have a feeling maybe she's holding off for tomorrow, because it's my birthday. On one hand, best birthday present ever. On the other hand, there could be some severe disappointment. We'll see.
I was right, she was convinced she was pregnant and wanted it to be a special thing. Not the case, so that brought the birthday off to a roaring start. Maybe next month.

Good luck, everyone. This definitely makes me appreciate even more what many of you, and my own sister, have gone through.

• Locked thread