Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I wandered over to the pregnancy thread, and they directed me here. I did not know this thread existed!

Awhile back, someone posted ovulation kits they bought in bulk from Amazon. There were 50 or so for $30, I think. I bought one at CVS the other day and it was $17 for 5! I will not have money left for any children I might birth if I keep buying them at that rate.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lannie posted:

That's what I paid (30 for 50 tests) on http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ I believe they also have an Amazon store. Same difference either way.

Thanks - this is really helpful.

I see that there are fertility monitors as well -

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/fertility-monitor.html

Has anyone used one of those? I've not been trying in the sense that I have been tracking ovulation yet, so this is the first time I'm really paying attention. Maybe one of these would be a bit overkill.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lannie posted:

I really wouldn't waste your money on a monitor. The test strips are really simple to use and will give you just as good of an indication of ovulation. If the strips don't work for you, the monitor is unlikely to as well. No point in blowing 100+ on the monitor and then also having to buy replacement strips for it. They test for the same hormones.

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pacof3ovtess.html these are what I used and the results were accurate the first month I started using them. We weren't trying just yet, but I wanted to be sure of my cycle beforehand. I got pregnant anyway because our birth control method failed. Heh, at least I can pinpoint the exact date I got pregnant.

Good to know, thank you! That is a lot of money to spend on something when the strips will just as well.

I am going to try them out. Why is this so much work again? :)

Edit: perhaps a stupid question, but this site is safe to purchase from? My credit card isn't going to end up with purchases made from Nigeria, right?

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 15, 2009

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lannie posted:

Don Lapre, sex every other day for 3 days before up to 5 days after ovulation (and of course more, who doesn't love sex?) should be good. It's recommended that you not have sex every day so that the sperm stores have enough time to regenerate. I suppose that a guy with a regular or above average sperm count wouldn't really need to wait that long inbetween, but you never know. I don't think that there's really any harm in having sex every day if you'd like to though, but if after a few months you don't get pregnant, maybe switch.

I just had this conversation with my doc. He said exactly this - sex everyday, multiple times will not help matters. Every other day is what he recommended.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I just picked up my prescribed prenatal vitamins, and they are $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply.

I looked on early-pregnancy-tests.com and found these:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancyplus.html

They are much cheaper, and for more of them. Are these all the same? Does it matter which ones I take?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

That pretty much seals it then. I'll just get some OTCs then. At first, when they rang me up at CVS, it was $145 for a few boxes - this was after insurance. I just about had a stroke. I couldn't rationalize paying that much for vitamins. The $35 for 30 was no better, but at least after this batch I can check out somewhere else.

Thanks for all of the information so far as I embark on this journey of discovery wherein I curse myself for not paying better attention in middle school sex-ed class. :)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Here's a question - once your ovulation test shows you are ovulating, that means that you are about to ovulate in the next 24 hours or so, correct?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

We've been trying for the last year (though not really doing anything to prevent it for awhile which is very worrisome) with no luck. I've only been paying attention to my cycle for the last few months to no avail.

That said, I am going for an HSG and an ultrasound next Friday. My husband has been tested, and he is fine. I'm 34, in very good health...but obviously there must be some sort of issue. I had blood tests on Wednesday...waiting to hear about those.

When you have the HSG, do they tell you right then and there if there is a blockage? Since they are watching the dye make its way through, they know what is going on, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

When you say this, what have you noticed about your cycle? And what are you doing to pay attention to it? For some people it's as easy as just tracking basal temp or cervical mucous, but for others, it takes a few methods combined-- mucous and ovu strips, for example, or mucous and basal temp. Plus, your window of opportunity can be short enough that when you're getting close to ovulation, you should be testing a couple of times a day to find the optimal time to try.

I should have been more specific...I've been using the strips steady for the last 8 months! My cycle runs every 33-35 days and has for as long as I can remember. Typically, I can tell when I am ovulating - I get a pretty specific ache in my abdomen. I notice the mucous too, though the ache is a lot more overt and easy to recognize.

I had read that you are supposed to test at the same time each day and that typically night was the best time to test - is that not correct? And when the strip does indicate does test as positive that means ovulation will take place within 24 hours, right?

• Locked thread