Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

slowfoot posted:

Congrats!

I'm pregnant :) so I guess I'll have to move on to the 'knocked up' thread.

Yeah! High five! :v:

Thanks everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

OK so... I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks on November 2. I was intending to wait (or at least not *actively* try again) for a full cycle before making another attempt. But today I'm getting a bunch of fertile CF... I haven't had any useful amounts of eggwhite in months. So... should I go for it anyway, or be patient?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Sally Slug posted:

What my doctor said is that as soon as you are medically clear (had an ultrasound and know that there's nothing in there to mess you up) and mentally sound, then go for it.

I had an ultrasound at the hospital and they said that things seemed pretty well back to normal then, so I guess I must have passed it all pretty quickly. It certainly felt that way; it hurt like hell. I really want to get pregnant again ASAP so maybe I'll give it a go tonight...

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Ah well... it was long gone by the time my husband came home, in the end, and I was too tired on top of that. Sigh.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I've been at it since February and I'll I've got to show for it is 2 miscarriages. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, from what I've read the pill can gently caress up the part of your cervix that produces the mucus, and it can take it a while to start producing again. It's perfectly possible that you are ovulating and just not getting the fertile-quality stuff. I've heard it can take up to 6 months for some ladies; I hope that won't be the case for you. :/ I think it was about 3 for me before I started seeing anything of note. A temperature rise is really the best indicator that you've ovulated, but unfortunately it doesn't really help you *predict* anything.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

OMG!

YAY!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

dishonesty posted:

So I got my period back, like 33 days after the surgery.

Only, it was only for about 2.5 days, then it stopped. So who knows what's going on in my body.

I just wanna get pregnant again dammit!

My period changed after my (first) m/c... I only had like 2 days of bleeding, and then 6 more of spotting (VERY annoying), whereas before that I had 2 days of bleeding and one of really light bleeding tapering to spotting. And before I went off the pill it was more like 4+1. Most women I know who've had losses have had their period change in some way afterward - it's the hormones. It certainly doesn't mean you'll have trouble getting pregnant again, so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, the cramps went away, thank god. I still have no idea when I can see an actual OB. I need to get a referral from a GP before I can even make an appointment, and the soonest I can do that (short of waiting for hours at a walk-in surrounded by sick people) is Thursday. Ugh, Quebec. Why can't you be cool like the rest of the country?! :canada:

Well gently caress, I spoke too soon. Cramps again, and now I'm bleeding.

Longpig fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2010

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Hi guys... Not good news I'm afraid. I went to the ER where my cramps and bleeding got worse. HCG level was a measly 11 indicating that development probably stopped a couple of days ago. Bleah. I pretty much knew what was up before I went to the hospital but every time, I harbour this stupid little hope that things will somehow be OK. :(

I would have just stayed at home to bleed, but I'm Rh- and Mr. Longpig is + so I have to get a nasty painful shot on top of everything else every time this happens!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I have a GP appointment booked for Thursday - I was going to get a referral to the OB but now I guess they'll see what they can do for me about this.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Congrats Chick! :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I went to a doctor today... basically all she did was give me a referral to a recurrent loss clinic, nothing else. I spent over an hour (1:30-2:45) trying to get ahold of the goddamn clinic, getting the same message over and over again saying that the hours to call for gynecologist appointments are 9:30-11:30 and 1:30-3:30, with no option to leave a message. NICE!! I eventually called the associated antenatal clinic to see if it was even the right number, and a sympathetic receptionist forwarded me to a line she wasn't supposed to, where a cranky sounding lady told me I had to fax my referral and they would call me for an appointment. Then she hung up before I could even finish saying thanks.

I've mostly spent the afternoon finding out that my insurance does not cover fertility treatments, so I'm probably screwed anyway unless it turns out to be something like a clotting disorder I can treat with baby aspirin.

loving RIGHT ON! :suicide:

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Every doctor I've seen basically told me that up until #3 they just consider you unlucky, so I haven't really looked into much yet. Hopefully it won't take too long to get an appointment at this clinic and I can add that to the list of things to ask, along with the clotting/baby aspirin thing, which is apparently also pretty common...

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Oh, Azulita, I meant to say... I would definitely be interested in that info.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

That's really interesting stuff, Azulita, thanks.

Qentiox - I guess I'm not sure what the insurance will consider a fertility 'treatment' and what they consider diagnostic. I keep worrying that I'll end up in the worst case scenario where my husband and I have some horrible genetic incompatibility and our only option is to do the super expensive kind of IVF where they screen the embryos before transfer. D:

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Gumby Orgy posted:

Are there any updates? Longpig?

Nothing new to report here... I got a referral for a regular gynecologist but the appointment isn't until the end of March. Ugh. The loss clinic *still* hasn't called me to make one. I keep meaning to call (well, try to call, they aren't big on answering the phone from what I can tell) and rattle their chain but then I forget until it's too late in the day. Tomorrow morning, maybe!

I'm not sure if we should start trying again before I talk to someone... March 31 will probably be right *after* my next fertile window. :/ The doctor I saw at the hospital said that even at 3 it's possible it's just bad luck and there's nothing wrong with me. I don't want to wait if I don't have to, because time isn't exactly on my side; but I don't want another loss either...

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Argh...

I should be happy but at this point I can't help just feeling very cynical.

I'm pregnant again, by accident. We were supposed to be avoiding it this month but as my cervical fluid was minimal I thought we were outside the fertile window... Guess not. So now I probably have an even shittier chance of hanging on to this.

Ding ding, round 4!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

The loss clinic finally called me for an appointment (Friday)... I haven't called an OB or midwife (not sure if I'm even eligible at this point) yet, so I'm thinking I'll wait and see what they say about it; maybe I could get a doctor through them...?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I went to the loss clinic today... It was pretty good (apart from the FOURTEEN vials of blood they took, yikes). They are going to follow me up to 12 weeks if I make it that far and then I'll be transferred to an OB. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable going with a midwife at this point anyway, to be honest. They are doing a dizzying number of tests on the however many litres they sucked out of me, including HcG... I'm hoping *not* to hear from them before I go in next week for a scan, because basically they will only call me if there's something bad I need to know about. :x I also got a prescription for special prenatal vitamins which apparently aren't covered by my insurance... 50 bucks for a month's supply, ugh.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yoga posted:

Are they actually special for you since you've had difficulty, or are they those Prenate DHA softgels that they push on everyone? Personally I'd call and ask if the brand is really important.

These are 'PregVit Folic 5'... I guess the big thing about them (according to the nurse I saw) is that they have 5 mg of folic acid, which is 5 times as much as my regular prenatal (store brand Materna). Has anyone heard of them?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Pixi posted:

Good luck, Longpig! Echoing what dishonesty said.. I lost my first pregnancy that we tried for. This pregnancy is the result of actively going OFF the fertility meds and avoiding my surprise fertile window. Oops! :)

I have kind of the opposite problem of a lot of folks... I don't seem to have any trouble *getting* pregnant - it's been on the 1st-3rd try each time. It's the staying that's problematic. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Well, I got a negative on a dollar store test this morning so maybe it's all moot anyway.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Spotting and cramping have started... Looks like it's off to the hospital for another shot of Rhogam. I guess there must really be something wrong with me. Once you get to four I don't think it's just bad luck. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Oh poo poo dishonesty... I'm so sorry. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

dishonesty posted:

Looks like perhaps we're somewhat similar Longpig - super easy to conceive, not so easy to hold onto them!

I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky!

Yeah, I've always gotten pregnant on the first or second try... holding on to them is not so easy. Good luck to you!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Poison womb update...

I had my saline ultrasound this afternoon... How unpleasant! :x The cramping when they stuck the catheter in was pretty awful, even after taking Tylenol 1s AND Advil an hour before. Yurk. But then what was possibly worse was that I fainted when I went to get up afterward. Full on falling on the floor blacked out. :( So embarassing.

Anyway, uterus looks normal but one of my ovaries is polycystic... This must be relatively new because when I had my last serious ultrasound there was only one cyst on it. Anyway now I have to do that blood test where you fast, then get blood taken, then drink that gross orange drink, then more blood, etc. Not sure what exactly that has to do with the cysts - I guess the hormones cysts can kick out can effect insulin resistance, but I'm not sure how that would cause recurrent pregnancy loss...? Any medical types want to clue me in? I guess they are also going to measure some hormones at the same time. Fun fun! At least I'll get it over with and it won't delay my seeing the doctor after the final tests on day 21.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah... I keep telling myself that if I can have a healthy pregnancy and baby it'll all be worth it.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

That really sucks Alterian. :( I'm sorry. I hope you can find something soon.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Baxter Jones posted:

Lurker here urging you to run, don't walk, to an endocrinologist or a reproductive endocrinologist. I have PCOS and had recurrent pregnancy loss (3 early miscarriages) and wasted three years working with my OB/GYN. Went to an endocrinologist and started metformin along with some other vitamin supplements and my next IVF attempt worked. I now have three-month-old twins.

Anyway, the way my dr explained it to me is that until your body is in balance hormonally, it will reject any pregnancies. So the egg will be fertilized but it won't implant properly. It's a defense mechanism to prevent your fetus from being exposed to the wrong kind of hormones (most PCOS patients also have high testosterone and DHEA, which is probably what they are testing you for now, along with your LH/FSH ratio). This site explains what they are testing for, and what it means. Good luck!

Yeah, they are testing me for everything on that list. That 2 hour fasting blood test with the nasty orange drink was the worst. :( I am going to wait to see whether I actually have the 'S' part of PCO though - it is possible, as I understand it, to have polycystic ovaries without them kicking out all the hormones. I lost my first pregnancy at about 10 weeks, but the others were all at about 6 so who knows. I am going to finish this round of tests on Monday, and then should be hearing from the doctor soon after that... If I don't get any answers there I will certainly think about a referral to a RE. Thanks for the advice!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

gently caress...

I called the clinic today only to be told that the nurse who had said I should hear back within a week or so was wrong (she's new I guess) and it's 2 MONTHS. I don't understand how it can possibly take so long to review all the results... I guess they are understaffed as it's just part of the hospital's gynecology department.

Guys, I'm so disappointed. Right now I just don't know if I can face another 6 weeks of limbo. I just want to sit here and cry. My husband is away until probably Sunday and there's no one here I can talk to (in person) except the dog. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

2 months to get an appointment to discuss the results, so an analysis I guess. With the lovely state of health care in this province I don't think I could get one sooner elsewhere. loving Quebec. I've never lived anywhere with such terrible health 'care', and I'm from New Brunswick (which a lot of people consider a welfare province :p).

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I finally saw a doctor at the loss clinic about my results today!

Good news is that nothing major is wrong with me so far… Bad news is that’s not much of an answer! There were a couple of little things though… Apparently I have the MTHFR (motherfucker!) gene? So he wants to keep me on super high doses of folic acid. I might also start taking baby aspirin, because what could it hurt? Also, my thyroid function, while still in the normal range, was lower than he would want in someone who is pregnant, so next time I get a positive I’m to come in right away and get my thyroid hormones tested to see if they want to put me on some medication while pregnant. Meanwhile he is sending both me and Mr. Longpig for karyotyping as well.

He also said that there was no reason I shouldn’t start trying again, so… :x I guess I’m out of limbo, for now…

Added bonus - doctor was amazingly nice and super handsome with a sexy British accent. Actually I can picture Mr. Longpig looking like him in 15-20 years or so… hopefully. Rowr.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Hehe, thanks! Some goon made it for me in one of the avatar threads, from this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svXfpjRMGY

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Congratulations Roxy! :D

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Congratulations Noirex! :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Cross postin' here and the Pregnancy thread...

I got a positive test this afternoon. I thought I was out for the month when I started having brown spotting yesterday, but it stopped after a few hours, and my temperature was still super high this morning, so I bought a digital. It says 2-3 weeks since conception. Oh my!

The doctor at the loss clinic gave me a requisition for hcg and thyroid blood tests to be done as soon as I got a positive, so I'll be heading to the hospital tomorrow morning, and I've already sent a message to the clinic to see what I need to do next.

This is my fifth pregnancy, guys, I'm so... I don't even know what the right word is. Terrified? Here we go again, AGAIN.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I never had any success with those ovulation strips. I tested twice a day and still never got a 'positive' (just light lines, like you) - even on cycles where I actually got pregnant. :(

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Congrats Pluto! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I did go see my regular doctor before we started trying... The only thing I was told that I hadn't already thought of (take prenatals, folic acid, etc...) was that I should get my rubella immunity checked.

• Locked thread