Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Count me in on the trying to get pregnant bandwagon. We're on month 3 now. Last month was the first time I was truly disappointed when my period started. I was just SO SURE it was going to work this time.

Ah well. We're loving like bunnies this week because I'm supposed to be ovulating. I never thought I'd be studying my vaginal secretions so closely.

Edit: That Dan Lirette thread is the craziest poo poo I've ever seen. Glad I'm not the only one glued to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

And Chickalicious, I broke down and used that test you sent me early last month! I have no self-control.

Ha! I've made a deal with myself that I won't test until I'm officially late. I was peeing on anything remotely shaped like a test a couple months ago.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

Yay Sally!

I'm 10 days past ovulation today. I tested yesterday (yeah, I know) and got a negative. I'm just trying to tell myself it's still too early for a test to show anything, and I'm not going to test again until Thursday. I just don't know about this time. My husband got deathly ill on the day that I ovulated, so we just have to hope that all the sexin' leading up to that day was enough, I guess.

All this obsessing from a person who could barely be bothered to remember a birth control pill once a day for 7 years.

Congratulations, Aardvarklet!!

I was at a bridal shower tonight and got to hold the cutest baby ever. My ovaries were screaming at me. Man, I hope this happens soon for me.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Congrats Longpig! What does the 1-2 mean on the test?

My period is due this week, and I think I can feel it coming on. When I get home from work tonight, I'm buying some of those cheapo ovulation strips from the website in the OP. Anyone have any tips or tricks or things I should be aware of when using them?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Welp, my stupid period is back again. I ordered the ovulation tests and pregnancy tests in a little kit from that site Lannie recommended. I had them shipped to my office so they don't end up in a puddle in front of my house when the delivery man comes. As soon as I hit submit, I realized I used my home zip code and not my office zip code. :downs: I sent an email and they fixed it before it shipped out. I love that they shipped within 24 hours of my order.

Time to pee on some stuff!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Speaking of LH testing, I got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to start peeing in a cup!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

So when can I start testing? I'm on cycle day 21 and I think I ovulated a week ago. All I have right now are the strips that came with my ovulation test strips. Should I just wait on a missed period? Argh! So impatient!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lannie posted:

Are you having any symptoms?

ETA: Those EPT.com strips (pregnancy, not ovulation) are pretty bunk. They probably won't show anything until at least 4 or so days until your period. It sucks getting negative results. If you won't be bothered by it, there's no harm in trying. Though I warn you, peeing on stuff will become addictive! lol. If you really think you might be pregnant and don't want to wait, I recommend First Response Early Result. They picked it up the fastest for me.

Nah, no symptoms. I'm just anxious to know. I'll wait a week.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

So the cycle starts again. We had sex exactly when we were supposed to and still no baby. Meanwhile, my sister-in-law is going to get to find out the sex of her baby on July 20. I'm excited for her so much, but at the same time, every time my period starts again the jealousy monster peaks his head out.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lannie posted:

It's a safe site. :)

I bought from them 2 months ago on Lannie's recommendation (They should give you a referral bonus!). The strips work great and my cc# isn't being used by the Russians as far as I can tell.

Waiting a few more days to test since I'm only a week out from ovulation. Fingers crossed!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Those of you who are friends with me on facebook may have already seen this, but my sister-in-law found out she's having a girl today! One part of me is SO excited and I can't wait until the baby is here.

Then there's a tiny part of me that just got immensely sad about it because why isn't that me that's getting ultrasounds and baby presents and maternity shirts. Not to mention I think my period is about to start, so one more failed cycle. I feel like a Grade A loving jerk for even feeling this way.

Anyway, now I can go buy a frilly pair of socks for the baby!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

OMG!!! For those of you on Facebook, I'm going to be keeping this on the low for a while. I just took these this morning!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Congrats FITD! We're prego buddies!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Yay Pixi! Congrats!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I'm sure some of you might already know this, but I'm going to be joining the ranks of the Getting Knocked Up thread again. We went in last Monday for the first scheduled ultrasound and the fetus had stopped developing at 6w5d and I was supposed to be at 8w5d. I had been having some very light bleeding over the weekend that was getting heavier and brighter as the weekend went on, so I was sort of bracing myself for it. I had my D&C this past Thursday and I'm so glad I did it. My post-procedure bleeding is down to nearly nothing now - just a little spotting that's visible when I wipe after peeing. I couldn't imagine waiting up to 4 weeks for it to happen naturally.

The doctor says I should wait for my period again to be able to better estimate dates and such, but if I ovulate this month, you can drat well be sure that we're trying.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test line being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

I'm just doubting my ability to know if I'm going to be ovulating soon since I just had my D&C less than 2 weeks ago, but all signs seem to be pointing to this weekend. Bonus: we can have sex again starting on Thursday!

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 6, 2009

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Opinions on this one? Sorry for the blurry iphone picture.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 6, 2009

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lannie posted:

It's possible that you're about to ovulate, but ovulation strips get positive results when you have HCG in your system. I would take a pregnancy test just to make sure that your HCG levels have dropped back down to below pregnancy levels. If they have, it means that you should be ovulating within the next 24 to 48 hours.

I just took a pregnancy test and it's totally negative. I know it's late in the day, so that may affect it, but I think we'll be getting it on just in case. I'm just SO ANXIOUS to get pregnant again. I feel like a crazy person.

The last couple days I've been especially emotional too. I was ok for a week, and now every time I see a baby or sit alone with my thoughts (which is a lot because my husband works from 3pm to 12am), I get weepy. I even had a dream last night that my cousin got pregnant before me (she's not seeing anyone at all to even get that way) and I was so irrationally mad in my dream.

I never wanted to be this way.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Hooray Longpig & slowfoot!

I am just finishing up my first period since my D&C (I am so freaking regular, it started exactly 28 days after the procedure), so we'll be trying again this month. My period this time around was super light. Anyone else that has had a D&C - did your periods change afterward? I kept bracing myself for a heavy flow day like usual, but it just never came. I only had to use a couple regular flow tampons (the rest were light flow). Usually I have a couple days where nothing but supers will do.

We've got company that's going to be in town while I'm ovulating, so I guess we'll just have to do some quiet baby-making.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Thanks for bringing unwanted drama in here. GTFO.

In other news Butterbean 2.0 Attempt 1 = FAIL :(

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Oh, I'm so sorry, dishonesty. I've been thinking about you today and hoping for an update (I promise I'm not creepy). Don't feel like you need to put on a happy face for us or anyone really. This and the pregnancy thread have sort of been my only outlet outside of my husband. If anyone says different, punch 'em in the loving dick. Also, I can tell you I felt like I just wanted to die the first week or two after, but it gets better. There are still days that it sucks like hell, but it's exponentially less painful just three months later.

If you're in the facebook group, I'm pretty sure I'm the only Leslie there, if you want to talk.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

My period was due yesterday, but it's still not here yet. No spotting, cramping or any other impending period signs. Stopped at Walmart to buy tests, but I'm resisting the urge to pee on a stick til tomorrow morning. ANXIOUS.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

loving fail. I woke up at 6am and had to pee so I was going to test. Got to the bathroom and my period had started. I am so loving angry.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Alterian posted:

At least you didn't waste a pregnancy test!

How very glass half full of you. :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Good luck, Longpig! We're all rooting for you!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Yeah my period's been different since the miscarriage & d&c too. The first time after it was much lighter than normal. It's still not quite the same either. I bleed heavier on my heavy days (there's usually a day where I go through a heavy tampon every 1.5 to 2 hours - sorry for the tmi). But I used to get like a warning day of spotting before it would start and now it just shows up out of nowhere full force.

Longpig, has your crampiness gone away? When do you see the ob?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Longpig posted:

Yeah, the cramps went away, thank god. I still have no idea when I can see an actual OB. I need to get a referral from a GP before I can even make an appointment, and the soonest I can do that (short of waiting for hours at a walk-in surrounded by sick people) is Thursday. Ugh, Quebec. Why can't you be cool like the rest of the country?! :canada:

Well gently caress, I spoke too soon. Cramps again, and now I'm bleeding.

Oh jesus. :( Good vibes going your way.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Oh, longpig. :sympathy: I was really hoping it would work out for you.

Is this when they'll start doing some tests to figure out if there's something hinky going on? My doc told me I'd have to have three miscarriages before they would assume it was anything other than a fluke. Seems ridiculous to have to go through so many losses to get some answers. I know you've got a whole different system up there in Canada, but I hope the docs can help you.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

One line means no and two lines means yes. I got no lines and now I'm out of pee for a second test to see if the initial one was a bum test. Argh! Today is day 31 of my normally 28-29 day cycle. I just want to know what's going on!

Edit: Ok, I was being impatient. Ding ding ding, ROUND TWO.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 10, 2010

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Woooooooooooo!!! Indeed. Thanks for all the congrats everyone. My husband made fun of me because I posted here before emailing my family.

I still can't help but have what I feel like is a dark cloud hanging over me. Will it pass when I get past the week I had my miscarriage? Am I ever going to be as excited as I was last time? I don't want to spend the whole pregnancy focused on all the things that can possibly go wrong. I'm already checking for spotting everytime I pee.

I've got my initial OB appointment on the 22nd. They're just going to do labs and go over insurance things. I'll see the doctor on the next appointment.

Longpig, let us know what the doc says today. Hope you're feeling reasonably ok.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Panne posted:

Just read an interesting article about miscarriage: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/2712200/Drug-treatment-developed-to-prevent-miscarriages.html

Basically, these researchers think that many unexplained miscarriages might be caused by an excess of immune cells in the uterus.

The article is from 2008, and it says they want to do clinical trials for steroid treatment, it'd be interesting to see if anything comes from this.

Hello, my worst nightmare. I have ridiculous eczema and allergies, which is basically my immune system overreacting to mostly innocuous things it interprets as invasive and bad. When it gets really bad, prednisone is the only thing that will get it under control, as it suppresses the immune response, but it has some really terrible side effects, such as making me susceptible to MRSA infections. I've always worried that my body will interpret a fetus as an invader and reject it. Maybe this is what happened last time.

So nervous for my ultrasound on Monday. I'm hoping to see a little heartbeat, but bracing myself for none at all.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

How late is she?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

If she's pretty regular, I'd say the likelihood of a false negative at this point is low. If it were me, I'd wait til the morning to test with the more concentrated morning pee.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

The Young Marge: I am rolling my eyes so hard at the people who suggested counseling. What a bunch of dolts. I was totally ambivalent about the whole thing too. It was sort of a "one day we'll have kids thing" for me too, but it all seemed very abstract. But once we really decided to start trying, it became a little more real and exciting. I'm 30 and almost 12 weeks pregnant now, and it's still a little unbelievable to me that I'm going to be someone's mom. Like, really, I'm a serious adult now that's going to be responsible for more than just myself? But like you said, I have no doubt that my husband and I will be engaged and loving parents and this child is very much wanted.

In summary, you do not need therapy. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

edit:

Sally Slug posted:

I'd never wanted kids but my husband knew he wanted them and when we got serious I realized that I didn't want kids, I wanted to have kids with him.

Sally, you nailed it with this sentence. This is how I felt with my husband as well. I knew he was the person that would be a good father and partner.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 1, 2010

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Azulita posted:

My sister in law got pregnant her first cycle after her miscarriage. She had a healthy pregnancy and my niece is now a fast crawling 9 month old. Good luck!

My ob, in giving me the cautionary "you should wait for one full cycle" talk, told me that he and his wife got pregnant after her miscarriage before she even had her next period.

Good luck to all of you that are trying. I know how disheartening it is when your period shows up when you don't want it to.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I Wish I Was posted:

I'm about 70-80 pounds over my ideal weight. The research I've done in the last few hours indicates that maternal age is a much bigger deal for the baby than being overweight - overweight tends to cause problems for the mom, like gestational diabetes and hypertension, but older moms run much greater risk of genetic abnormalities and miscarriage and that risk increases every year.

I'll take ME feeling like crap for a while to have a healthy baby.

Just wanted to pop in here and let you know that gestational diabetes isn't just a problem for mom, in case you didn't know. It can cause problems for the baby too, including:

quote:

* Excess growth.
* Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
* Respiratory distress syndrome
* Jaundice
* Type 2 diabetes later in life
* Developmental problems

Rarely, untreated gestational diabetes results in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth.

More details at the link.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316/DSECTION=complications

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

TMI Answer: We had a "sex pillow" for propping up my rear end for about 10 minutes after the deed was done. It resided behind our bedroom door so no one would accidentally sleep on the cum pillow before it was washed.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Papaya posted:

Bah, only 1 follicle at 12mm so I'll be back on Monday for the real deal. He said my uterine lining was gorgeous. I guess that's a good thing!

That's hilarious. Reminds me of when my lactation consultant told me I have "really adequate milk storage capacity." (read: huge loving tits, jesus, woman, how do you stand upright?)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Sorry to hear that, papaya. Good luck next month.

Kenshi, I did the D&C thing following a miscarriage Sept 2009. The procedure itself wasn't so bad because they give you some sweet drugs, but the situation itself sucked mightily. Take care of yourselves and good luck in trying again when you're ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I took (and still take) the CVS prenatals. You'll end up getting coupons for CVS brand products after a while that will make them cheaper. When I was pregnant and it made me kind of queasy, I started taking them right before I went to bed, so at least I was asleep when the nausea hit.

• Locked thread