Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
My fertility issues are so ridiculous and uncommon that I won't even talk about them here because learning about something that will probably never happen to you won't help anyone. I'll just say good luck to all those who are trying, and if you haven't gotten pregnant and have been trying for 6 months - 1 year, it's time to involve a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

inaniloquent posted:

Do any of you who are taking, or might have to take, fertility drugs think about the possibility of multiples when you go that route? Does the thought sound exciting or terrifying or conjure up completely different emotions? It's funny to imagine not easily having a child, and then BAM- six kids at once. :)

There's pretty much no way to accidentally end up with 6 babies. Those women who end up with a ton of kids at once knew what they were doing and they had a choice, and I'm not even talking about "selective reduction" (aka abort a few).

If you're at the point where you need fertility drugs to get pregnant, you are monitored very closely via ultrasound. You go in for these ultrasounds every few days to check the status of your follicles and see if any are ready for ovulation. Some women even have to go so far as to take a shot that triggers ovulation because their body won't do it on its own. If you're going in for these ultrasounds, you know exactly how many follicles have the potential to ovulate, so if you see 6 mature follicles up on that screen, you can potentially get pregnant with 6 babies. Fertility doctors don't WANT you to get pregnant with 6 babies, it's a tremendous physical strain on the mother and children with high risks for premature birth, and even maternal or fetal death. Most responsible individuals will drop the cycle before they even have a chance to get impregnated. They'll ovulate, but abstain from sex and just end up with a regular period.

I've been in this position, it was horrible to throw away all that money we'd spent on a cycle, but it was the responsible thing to do. I'm not willing to risk my children's lives that way, if one of them was stillborn or born with horrible issues, I would never forgive myself because it would BE 100% MY FAULT. However, some women are so desperate, both financially and emotionally, they go through with it anyway. Hence, the Jon & Kate Plus Eight's etc etc...

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Aardvarklet posted:

Wow, that is very interesting--I had no idea you could see how many follicles were mature beforehand. Sort of gives me a different perspective on the Octomom types out there. I wonder if most of the time they think, "no way that could happen to me." I mean, what are the odds, right? (Probably higher than I think.)

Elanore--did you experience any side effects with the metformin? My cycles are (I think) still adjusting after getting off the pill, and right now they are getting a day or two longer each time. I'm thinking metformin may be in my future if this keeps up for very long.

Octomom is entirely something else. Not only did she know what she was doing, she had IVF, so a doctor knowingly implanted 8 embryos into her uterus. Generally, 1-2 embryos are implanted with IVF, 3 if you're older or have had major issues with miscarriage from what I understand.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Can anyone tell me about infertility drugs and breastfeeding? I'm reading don't do it, but I think this is based more on you having a slightly higher chance of not getting pregnant while breastfeeding due to the increased prolactin. I really can't understand why I wouldn't be able to breastfeed when the medications I'd be taking would just be synthetic versions of the hormones my body would be producing anyway. I'm waiting until Lucy is over 1 year old before we start trying for another anyway because breastfeeding for at least a year is mandatory for me, but I'd like to breastfeed for longer than this if possible because Lucy is very needy and I have a feeling she'll want to do it for a longer period of time than most kids would. Note that I haven't spoken to a fertility endocrinologist yet, this is just based on what I've read around the internet.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Ugh part of me is so jealous of you guys. I wanted to start trying this fall, but we won't have insurance until January now so I have to wait. :( My first cycle won't be until February at earliest, and that's if I can get into a fertility endo asap for an appointment.

I know I already have a baby so I shouldn't be bitching, but waaaaaaah I wanted to start trying earlier. :( :(

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Papaya posted:

Well my family has a history of difficulties getting pregnant and staying so, and I worry I will run out of time if I wait too long. My brother is eleven years older than me and not because my mother didn't have other pregnancies in between :(

And IF my husband decides to come around, with the surgery, and mandatory wait time after that, and then however long IUI/IVF might take to stick, that's at a bare minimum 1.5-2 years right there if we get pregnant on the first try.

I feel like a whiner but he just changed his entire mind on our future after 3 years :(

You're not a whiner and I would not wait 5 years. I, however, have no tact and would have told him then and there that if he was making a concrete decision about no kids, then I was leaving him. One of the main reasons I left my ex was because he told me he wanted to wait TEN years to get married. That was absolutely ridiculous, considering we'd already been together four years. If he was that unsure about marrying me, then I obviously wasn't the one for him and I wasn't going to wait around to find out either.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Welp, I just made an appointment for a consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist for May 7th! I don't want to start actively trying until we're settled in our own place, but I want to talk about options and maybe start on some estrogen. Hopefully we'll be able to start trying this summer!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Azulita posted:

Moms Stuffing - did you find a fertility treatment that is safe for nursing?

I'm going to talk to the doctor about it, but I couldn't find anything that suggested I couldn't nurse with the medications I take. The only issue is that breastfeeding might make it harder to get pregnant, so if the doctor wants me to wean because of that, I won't do it. I know too many women who conceived while breastfeeding!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm hypo and on Levothyroxine. I had no issues getting pregnant, other than my normal broken pituitary gland issues. Talk to your doctor once you are pregnant, they may need to monitor you with blood tests during your pregnancy and up your meds as needed. I had blood work done every 6 weeks, and my meds were upped just about every time.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

kuroneko107 posted:

Yeah I've had it under control for a while now thankfully, because when I first had my radiation it was awful, I've never felt that bad before.

Moms Stuffing: I'm on levo too, I had to be monitored monthly with Nathan too, so I figured it would be similar. I also had twice weekly nst's and a weekly ultrasound towards the end, did you have any of with the hypothyroidism?

I may end up just seeing my gyno anyways soon, my period has been pretty irregular since the radiation.

No extra ultrasounds or NST's. I just saw my regular endo, but then again, I saw midwives and they said it wasn't really a big deal.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Congrats! We have officially gotten the ball rolling on trying for babby number two this month. I have to go through an estrogen cycle first, so we're looking at a time frame of hopefully conceiving at the end of July at earliest.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Has anyone ever done a cycle of Estrace before they went ahead with fertility treatments before? This is the third time I've done this, but for whatever reason I'm getting hit with a lot of side effects this time and it's really annoying. I'm nauseated and so bloated that I don't want to ever wear pants again. I feel like I'm in the first trimester, but I'm not even pregnant yet. :(

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I had my IUI on Friday and woke up with OHSS symptoms today. I had it when I was pregnant with Lucy as well, which is totally not fair because the only risk factor I have is being under 35. :smith:

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Ugh I feel so terrible! I am really miserable with this OHSS. I don't really have anything productive to say, I'm just moaning because this loving sucks.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm out! I got my period this morning, but I'm not as depressed about it as I thought I would be. I had a feeling deep down that I wasn't pregnant, though my stupid drugs were giving me false pregnancy symptoms and confusing me at the end.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Your username is too fitting for this thread.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

I Wish I Was posted:

Ha! I hadn't even thought about it in that context!

I got mine from Amazon, and they were super cheap ($5.70 for 25), plus free shipping with Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YIQEQ/ref=oss_product

They require you to pee in a cup rather that just waving the stick through your stream, but SO much cheaper it's totally worth it.

Well thanks for this, just ordered them! Also, you can pee in the little bags they are individually sealed in. ;)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Fertility treatments really really really suck. I'm not quite at the IVF level, but I need some heavy duty interventions to conceive and it sucks the life out you. So no, I don't think its weird that you aren't excited. I want another baby enough to try, but I've already had one failed cycle with some disappointing setbacks, and I'm starting to think that if I don't get pregnant this time, I might just be done. I'm only 28, but the stress of all this really gets me down. The drugs make me crazy, fat, and sick. Plus, I already have one perfect daughter, what more could anyone ask for? I'm not completely decided on quitting or not, but I think that I will take a long break and focus on losing weight and hanging out with Lucy if I don't get pregnant this cycle.

Also, I need to bitch about my fertility clinic. I didn't get pregnant last cycle, big deal. People trying naturally usually take 3-6 cycles to get pregnant. Every time I've tried to get pregnant, I've been on Menopur, and I've actually conceived twice with Menopur. I wasn't upset that I didn't get pregnant this time, it just didn't happen and it wasn't anyone's fault. However, my RE decided that she needed to switch my medication up? She had no good reason other than trying to look like she was doing something. So now I'm on Gonal-F and Menopur, but I don't see the need! I haven't been responding well to Gonal-F, so I have to up the dose of both the Gonal-F and the Menopur. I don't understand why they couldn't just leave me on Menopur? Last time I had plenty of mature follicles, I responded well with no need to change my dosage around, I've gotten pregnant twice with just Menopur etc etc. She just wants to look like she's doing something so I don't get mad at her, I can see through her dumb facade and it's really annoying! My husband and I are also considering changing our insurance plan so we can go to a different fertility clinic too. I'm not so sure about this one, they aren't even open on weekends and I can never reach them to leave messages.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Did you not, y'know, ask her why she changed your medications?

Of course I did. She confirmed that they just like to change things up if you don't conceive, so basically they just want to look like they're doing something. I am puttering along, I'll probably trigger Saturday. OHSS here I come.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I am having the cycle from hell. Why have I been spotting for 4 days?

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Papaya, it takes up to 10 days for trigger shots to fade out of your system. Not that I don't want you to be pregnant! I just don't want you to be severely disappointed either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Papaya posted:

Not quite but maybe, who knows!

They told me it (the trigger) could be cleared as early as 7 days, as late as 16 or more. I had a cache of tests that I otherwise won't be using since all this RE bullshit is bloodwork anyway, so I figured I'd track the levels like that like a lot of people who get the shots do.

I mean if I'm getting totally white tests for a few days and then they start to get positives again, I think it's safe to say it's likely to be a true one.

edit: I guess I should clarify in case it wasn't clear, I have been using the tests every other day since 2 days post trigger; first test was super dark and they have only gotten lighter since.

Ooooh ok makes more sense now! Congrats then!

• Locked thread