Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

jennyinstereo posted:

Yup. I'm buying this tomorrow:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/midstreamtes.html

It's pretty decent for $25 and I've heard that these cheapo strips can be more accurate than more expensive stuff like Clear Blue Fertility Monitors. I'm going to try them out and whenever I see a dark line, I'm heading for the bedroom.

Jennnn! I just bought from there! :D

Hopping in on the starting to try soon bandwagon. I am sooooo beyond ready!

SKeefe, I'm really sorry for what you guys are going through. My thoughts are with you both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Papaya, good luck with the new job! Sorry to hear about your husband getting laid off. It's a terrible feeling. Especially during such stressful times. My husband and I were both laid off recently (him in Feb, me in Mar) and it sucks. Just know that it gets better. It took him about 2 months to get a new job, but it's a great job with even better pay. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you guys!

Aardvarklet, yay! Congrats!!!

In other news, my ovulation strips should be here either today or tomorrow. I'm so excited! :D My husband also ordered some new baby books for me. I can't wait to read them.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Sodaqui, while high amounts of vitamin A can cause fetal deformities, mental retardation and potential fetal death, it's still something that the human body needs. It will be found in just about every prenatal (and multivitamin) on the market. As long as the woman in question watches what she's eating and doesn't exceed the daily recommended value, their fetus should be fine (with respect to vitamin A).

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig, I forgot to say congrats!

Chickalicious, I have the ovulation strips from http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ and they worked for me. I test my 2nd or 3rd pee of the day (usually around 11am). The luteal hormone (LH surge) shows up later in the day (for pregnancy tests, you should use first pee because it'll have the highest concentration of HCG during the course of the day), so don't use your first pee for it.

My cycles are usually 30 - 34 days, so I started testing on day 14. I'm generally very regular, (and I can usually feel myself ovulate) so I figured I'd probably have my surge on day 17 or 18. I was right (day 18), that morning I tested and I had two very clear pink lines. I started testing on day 14 just to be sure that I wouldn't miss it.

We're not trying just yet, but I want to start tracking my ovulation to be sure of my cycle for when we finally do. As Longpig mentioned, they don't work for everyone. You may want to get one of the bundle packs (Ovulation strips & pregnancy tests) that they have to start off with. If you see that they work for you, then order more. At least that's what I did.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

BDawg posted:

Wish us luck. We have 2 fertility doctor trips for the month on June. The first one is an introduction and the second one is an actual testing.

Good luck! Have you been trying long?

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I hate trying to read tests. Has anyone ever had luck with LH strip testing (ovulation tests)

I think I got a positive yesterday. I had a noticeable second line, but it wasn't quite as dark as the test line. The test instructions say a faint line isn't a positive, but it wasn't really that faint, you could clearly see it, it just wasn't as dark. Its about the right time for me to ovulate based on other signs and I think I might be having ovulation type cramps today? Its hard to say. Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't and it could always be something else or they could be psychosomatic.

Stupid test strips...

It depends on a few factors and how faint it was. Did you test the day before? If so, was there any line at all? Did you test today? If so, was there any line at all? Also, which pee were you using? First morning or later on in the day?

If the line yesterday was faint but quite noticeable (maybe 3/4 the colour of the control line or more) then you're most likely going to ovulate within the next 24 - 48 hours. You should be able to confirm by having a stronger line today (test asap, the longer you wait in the day, the harder it'll be to tell. Unless you already tested today). It could also mean that you already ovulated earlier on that day. If the line is really faint or nonexistent today, then that's most likely what it means.

A line showing at all is a good sign. Should mean that the strips will work for you. Some people's test line is never quite as dark or darker than the control. For other people, the strips don't work, period.

All in all, I'd recommend getting it on today. ;)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I've been testing for a couple of days. I test two times a day. I usually test my second and 3rd pee and not my just wake up pee and my right before bed pee. The day before yesterday there was a reaaaaally faint line. My first test yesterday was a faint line and the second test yesterday was the noticeable line. My first test today is another really faint line. We've been doing it every day for a handful of days now going off cervical fluid and I've been tracking my temp for it to spike so I know we're not going to miss it. I just want to know when its going to happen.

I wish fertility and pregnancy weren't so drat subtle in the early stages.

Sounds good then. You're most likely ovulating today.

Just to add, I've heard really good things about upping your vitamin B intake and using Preseed. And for those (as others have said here) with messed up cycles to also take vitex and primrose oil (primrose up until the day of ovulation but to stop until either a positive test or until the new CD1).

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I hope I get pregnant soon. I'm turning into a jealous bitch.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. Before I left my job, I had 3 pregnant coworkers and my sister in law was pregnant too. I was ready to rip my hair out.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

Ok I'm a bit pissed. I got a CVS brand ovulation thermometer to keep tract of my tempurature. I'm really paranoid that I'm not ovulating for some reason so I figured tracking my temp would be a good way to see if everything is working since your temperature spikes right after you ovulate. I've been tracking since the beginning of my cycle and I'm at the point where my temp should be spiking any day now, but my readings always seem really low. So I did a test this morning and tested with that thermometer and my regular old mercury one. The cvs one read my temp at 97.4 and the mercury one read it at 97.9! That is a huge difference. I then had my husband check his temp and it read his temp at being 96.4 and the other one said his temp was 97. I guess I'll be using the mercury one from now on but it feels like a waste tracking this cycle because I have no idea if it was accurate or not. Dammit!

I have no idea how to track basal temps. I figured I'd wait until a few months of not getting pregnant before trying. All that considered, I agree that you should use the mercury one. They're a lot more reliable than digital. With digital I've taken my (regular) temp twice in 2 minutes with completely different results.

The only thing I know about temping is that you have to sleep under the same conditions every night and test at the same time every morning before first pee. If one night you sleep with your mouth open or pee during the night, your results will be "off". While I generally wouldn't recommend the site due to it's "baby dust" and "sparklies", mothering.com's forum has a lot of people who are good at interpreting charts. You can always try posting yours in their TTC forum. You might get some good answers.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Well, we weren't trying just yet, but got pregnant anyway! Good luck to everyone else trying!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

My test yesterday (10dpo):

Altered to see it better

And today's test (11dpo): MUCH easier to read! ;)

I've tried 4 different types of tests (yeah, I wanted to make sure!), First Response Early Result, internet cheapies from early-pregnancy-tests.com, Dollartree brand (New Choice) and EPT Certainty (digital). I just wanted to share my experiences with them for those that really want/need that early answer.

First Response Early Result ($14/2 pack on sale): Heard about these from a bunch of different pregnancy forums. They really do pick pregnancy up fast! As you can see, the result is light (6 days before period was due), but it's there! A faint line is as good as a dark line.

early-pregnancy-tests.com internet cheapies ($0.50 - $0.92/test): Got these free with my ovulation strips. They suck. Seriously, if you get them free, go ahead and try them, but don't go thinking you're not pregnant if a 2nd line doesn't show up. They claim to be sensitive up to 20/ml. No loving way. They picked it up the least and if I wasn't used to where I needed to look from the ovulation version, I never would have realized that a line was even there. Don't bother paying for these.

Dollartree (New Choice)($1.00/test): Most people think that dollar store tests are poo poo, well let me just say that this particular brand isn't. It's not excellent, but better than internet cheapies. The line was REALLY light, but it was visible.

EPT Certainty (digital)($17/3 pack on sale): There's no mistaking this result. Worked well 5 days before period was due. No squinting, no bringing every flashlight in the house over to see a line. Just a clear "pregnant" or not "pregnant".

If you're crazy about testing, and don't want to spend a fortune on tests, I recommend the dollar tree ones. If you only plan on testing once or twice when you're pretty sure you're pregnant, I recommend the First Response Early Result or the EPT Certainty if you just want a clear yes or no.

Anyway, I thought that this might be helpful for some of you. Especially those of you that got the ovulation strips that came with the pregnancy tests.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

jennyinstereo posted:

But the ovulation test strips are alright, right? I plan on buying them asap!!! It is payday today, after all :D

Yeah, they work well, but don't buy any. I have a toooonnn (ok, 50) to spare. I'll give them to you this weekend or next weekend. Whenever we get together.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

So when can I start testing? I'm on cycle day 21 and I think I ovulated a week ago. All I have right now are the strips that came with my ovulation test strips. Should I just wait on a missed period? Argh! So impatient!

Are you having any symptoms?

ETA: Those EPT.com strips (pregnancy, not ovulation) are pretty bunk. They probably won't show anything until at least 4 or so days until your period. It sucks getting negative results. If you won't be bothered by it, there's no harm in trying. Though I warn you, peeing on stuff will become addictive! lol. If you really think you might be pregnant and don't want to wait, I recommend First Response Early Result. They picked it up the fastest for me.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 18, 2009

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Yep, if you're 4 days late, the ept.com tests should work. They just suck at early detection. Good luck!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

No d&c. She had her levels taken today and the HCG was 55 and progesterone was 19 which they said was normal for both. We'll see I guess.

I don't have any advice/answers to your questions, but I wanted to say good luck! I really hope this one sticks for you guys.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

Well, they took her blood again on Friday and she got the results back yesterday, and the HCG was at 97 (if it doubled like it should it should be around 110), so that is close enough for them to consider it normal.

She also gave blood again yesterday and got those results back and it was up to 365, so so far so good.

Congrats! It's sounding good so far. :) Do you know what her progesterone levels are?

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

I know last week they said they were 19 which they said was good. I don't know what they were for the past two tests (Friday and Monday) but apparently they were fine.

Yeah, 19 is an excellent number! :D

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Kelly posted:

I wandered over to the pregnancy thread, and they directed me here. I did not know this thread existed!

Awhile back, someone posted ovulation kits they bought in bulk from Amazon. There were 50 or so for $30, I think. I bought one at CVS the other day and it was $17 for 5! I will not have money left for any children I might birth if I keep buying them at that rate.

Any suggestions?

That's what I paid (30 for 50 tests) on http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ I believe they also have an Amazon store. Same difference either way.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Kelly posted:

Thanks - this is really helpful.

I see that there are fertility monitors as well -

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/fertility-monitor.html

Has anyone used one of those? I've not been trying in the sense that I have been tracking ovulation yet, so this is the first time I'm really paying attention. Maybe one of these would be a bit overkill.

I really wouldn't waste your money on a monitor. The test strips are really simple to use and will give you just as good of an indication of ovulation. If the strips don't work for you, the monitor is unlikely to as well. No point in blowing 100+ on the monitor and then also having to buy replacement strips for it. They test for the same hormones.

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pacof3ovtess.html these are what I used and the results were accurate the first month I started using them. We weren't trying just yet, but I wanted to be sure of my cycle beforehand. I got pregnant anyway because our birth control method failed. Heh, at least I can pinpoint the exact date I got pregnant.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Kelly posted:

Good to know, thank you! That is a lot of money to spend on something when the strips will just as well.

I am going to try them out. Why is this so much work again? :)

Edit: perhaps a stupid question, but this site is safe to purchase from? My credit card isn't going to end up with purchases made from Nigeria, right?

It's a safe site. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

jennyinstereo posted:

Ugh. So we're not trying yet but my last period was 35 days ago and I'm not pregnant. At this point, I just want my period. I think it's stress. I've never had that happen before. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have a boatload of problems when we actually start trying :(

You shouldn't have problems unless your stress levels stay up. It's pretty normal to have the odd long cycle here and there. Just keep tracking it and you should be fine. If you're noticing that you're having a few long cycles in a row, you may want to talk to your doctor or OB. If you don't want to deal with a doctor, you can always start taking vitex supplements and upping your vitamin B complex intake. They both help in regulating your cycle.

Don Lapre, sex every other day for 3 days before up to 5 days after ovulation (and of course more, who doesn't love sex?) should be good. It's recommended that you not have sex every day so that the sperm stores have enough time to regenerate. I suppose that a guy with a regular or above average sperm count wouldn't really need to wait that long inbetween, but you never know. I don't think that there's really any harm in having sex every day if you'd like to though, but if after a few months you don't get pregnant, maybe switch.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Kelly posted:

I just picked up my prescribed prenatal vitamins, and they are $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply.

I looked on early-pregnancy-tests.com and found these:

http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancyplus.html

They are much cheaper, and for more of them. Are these all the same? Does it matter which ones I take?

Honestly, prescription prenatals are a waste of money and aren't really necessary. I've heard good things about the Trader Joe's prenatals and I personally like the NatureMade ones. The Trader Joe's ones are on the big side, but they're supposed to be really gentle on the stomach (some prenatals will make you nauseous or really constipated). The NatureMade ones are really small and very gentle. They were fine on my stomach up until about 3 weeks ago. I started puking after I'd take them. It tends to happen a lot during pregnancy, so I don't fault the pills for it. I had been taking them for more than 4 months without any problems.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

qentiox posted:

Also, we're sortof trying/I may be pregnant right now. We'll see in a few weeks...

Good luck! :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I posted way earlier in the thread--in fact, about a month ago. Here is my story!

About five weeks ago, I thought I might be pregnant--tested, got a negative, then had a very short period about a week late. Expected period today, no period, decided to test because I have these extra tests still--very faint test line, strong control line. [Only have cell phone for pix, and they don't pick up faint line.] Does that mean what I think it might?

Take a digital test or a First Response Early Result. You should have a pretty definite answer. Good luck.

Congrats temperedpassion!

ETA: Susan, if you took a blue dye test, they often have an "evaporation line", and are notorious for false readings. Pink tests are much more accurate. Just in case.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 22, 2009

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Well, now I've started to have some bleeding--guess I'm that rare false positive. =/ Does this mean I need to mistrust any future positive results?

It could just be that it was the "dreaded" evaporation line. Some tests are more reliable than others. I've never seen an evap line personally, but it's often discussed on some of the pregnancy/parenting boards that I sometimes read.

I also think a pregnancy as far along as you potentially could have been would have shown a darker line. At 11dpo I had a faint line, by 20dpo it was as dark as could be. The only other thing that I can think of is that you could have had a chemical pregnancy. That happens when the egg is fertilized but can't properly implant in the uterine lining. You start to produce small amounts of HCG and then it tapers off as the egg passes. The period after a chemical pregnancy is often slightly to moderately heavier than a normal period.

Edit: Arrrgghhh! EFB by Eia. :P

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

I made an appointment with the birth center for the end of August. My very experienced sister (mother of two, both birth center kids) is coming with me, because I am sure she'll ask things that I don't even know I should be asking. I am so excited I don't even know what to do with myself. I just cannot wait for this to become a reality. I've been praying for an "oooops" since before we got married, while simultaneously feeling guilty about it because I knew my then-fiance was not at all ready for it. Now that he is, I can't wait!

edit: I was debating on posting this portion, but I think I will, and ask for what you ladies would do, were you in this situation:

Let's say I test today and detect an LH surge. Sweet, I'm going to ovulate! Being who I am, waiting would probably kill me, so I would definitely want to try to get pregnant during this ovulation (especially since I am irregular and don't know when the next ovulation would be). BUT, there's the blood pressure medication. It's pregnancy categort C, meaning "animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks." This is the reason my doctor wants me to see an obstetrician in the first place; he wants to get me on a blood pressure medication that is category B (there probably doesn't exist one that is category A). So what do I do?

If this theoretical scenario played out right now, meaning tomorrow I ovulated, and was actually able to get pregnant, the only thing I could think of to do would be to call my doctor ASAP and say that I won't be able to see my obstetrician 'til the end of August and see what he can do. What would you do in this scenario?

What doctor are you seeing now that controls which medications you're on? Primary that you just met with, or a specialist? You should be able to see that doctor and they can prescribe the medication for you. I don't see why you should have to wait to see an ob first. They will know what category medication you're on and what category medication they will change you to. I'd personally recommend doing that sooner rather than later. If you happen to have an oops, you would only have a short while before the placenta forms and the things you ingest begin to affect the baby in any way.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

Primary. I think he just wanted to see if an obstetrician had specific recommendations for me above what he was able to see about my drugs (e.g. that my diabetes meds are category B and considered safe for pregnancy whereas my HBP are category C and not). If the OB recommended changing all of the medications, my doctor would do that. I think he's just not as comfortable with the OB side of things, dealing more with general practice for non-pregnant folks.

In that case, it really would be best to prevent an oops as much as possible at this point unless you can safely stop taking the medications that are worrisome. I personally wouldn't recommend it though. If you're really anxious to switch fast, you can always look for an ob outside of the birth center group and then switch to them after your appointment in August.

Keep in mind that the ob might not feel comfortable switching your medications as well and are likely to send you to a perinatologist. In which case, switching medications might potentially take longer than hoped.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Fire In The Disco, I had a feeling that you would risk out, but I'm really happy to hear about this new ob. Let us know how it goes! I'm very excited for you. :)

Azulita, I've only heard good things about TCOYF, but I have no experience. It can't hurt to read it.

Cross_ posted:

Asking on behalf of my wife: how long does it take for the cycle to normalize after going off the pill?

I was on the pill for 6.5 years. I was regular before, during and after coming off of the pill. It really depends on the woman though. It's one of those "wait and see" type of things. I believe most doctors that deal with the pill say that it can take 1 - 6 months usually. In my opinion, that's a really broad amount of time. I suppose they say that because they really can't say anything for sure.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2009

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

Like I said somewhere above, my wife is pregnant again and this time it actually looks like it "stuck" so far. She is around 8 weeks now.

She's having the (what I guess are) normal symptoms, feeling nauseated, increased sense of smell (including being disgusted by many common smells), and has thrown up a couple of times. She feels nauseated at any time of the day or night, which is supposedly normal.

She quit taking her "prenatal vitamins" and instead started taking the chewable Flintstones vitamins, along with a Folic Acid pill, but she still was just as sick. Last night she only took the Flintstones vitamin, and NOT the Folic Acid, and this morning she feels pretty good. Is this a coincidence or could the Folic Acid be making her sick? It's just really hard to tell if she is sick because she's pregnant or if she's sick because of something she's taking.

I was having some issues with my prenatals and I switched some of the vitamins I was taking and no longer get sick. She should try a new brand/type of folic acid for now. At this point in her pregnancy, it's the most important of the vitamins to be taking. I take a folic acid with DHA gel cap by Naturemade. It's been really gentle on my stomach and I haven't had any problems taking it. If she's taking a folic acid tablet, she may want to change to a gel cap. I find the tablets start to dissolve the second they hit my tongue and it's pretty gross.

My midwife told me that if prenatals make me sick, to try to keep taking at least the folic acid and then try adding my prenatals again at 14 weeks when I'm fully out of the first trimester. I didn't have to wait that long before trying the prenatals again though. They no longer make me ill.

Also, it may help her to take a separate B6 pill. It's supposed to help relieve morning sickness. I've been taking it and I've found that it's helped. W00t, two more weeks til I'm done with the first trimester (for my midwifery practice it's 13 weeks). :D

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Miss Shell posted:

Since going off the pill, my skin has gone back to being really bad.

My skin got REALLY terrible about 5 months after I got off the pill. I had been on it from 16 to 23, so I didn't know what my skin would be like off of it. I didn't come off to TTC though. It was because the hormones were doing some really bad things to me mentally and I have too many risk factors for clotting. My doctor had been asking me to come off for a few months, so I finally did. Unfortunately the only thing that really helped me was Accutane. It made a tremendous difference, but you absolutely cannot use it if planning on TCC, when pregnant or breastfeeding. The only other thing that helped at all was changing my skin care products to organic and using a moisturizer after each wash. I hope it gets better for you.

Longpig, good luck. I hope it happens quickly for you guys!

SKeefe, how's your wife doing? Everything going well?

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

Nausea, yaking..
I will swear by 1/2 a Unisom (doxylamine succinate) tablet mixed with B6. It's a remedy that lots of midwifes and ob's tell their patients to take. It's worked wonders for me (for both my REALLY bad insomnia and meh nausea). Though assuming that her nausea was worse than mine, her doc might recommend a full Unisom tablet (though it will make her fall asleep and feel like a zombie. 1/2 a dose makes you sleep well and feel WONDERFUL the next morning). You should come visit us in the pregnancy thread. :) I hope the doctor appointment went well!

Pixi, good luck and try to relax. Taking a break is definitely a good idea if it was stressing you out. I hope that when you guys are ready again that it comes quickly for you!

Don Lapre, congrats!

Azulita, what's in the injectables? Just a fertility booster?

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

Yeah, last night was pretty bad for disrupted sleep. I've dealt with insomnia before and it didn't seem to affect my temperatures as much as this, though! I hope that it's either the sleep or the temperature, because the alternative is that my hormones are still screwy and I might not ovulate this month...

Didn't you just move to another country? That could mess up your temping and cycle. Different climate, atmosphere, it could have a big effect. Changing geographical areas can completely change your cycle. Ever heard of women going to another country on vacation and all the sudden BOOM period? It sucks, but it should even itself out.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

It's been over a month since we moved though... Wouldn't it have settled by now? :(

By this point I would assume that it would be normalizing. At least if it's geographically related.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

My best friend just found out that she's pregnant. She was having weirdness with her period for 2 months before it finally showed a positive. She had tested at least 10 times in those 2 months. She was just over 8 weeks pregnant at that point. Some people's HCG levels are just weird like that.

Next time we're looking to get pregnant, I've got to promise myself to not test until a missed period. It's such a rollercoaster ride seeing negatives.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Pixi posted:

So we're technically on a break for trying to get pregnant, but I'm pretty flabbergasted right now. I started having twinges in my side this morning, so I took an OPK -- glaringly positive. This is amazing to me, since I only ever ovulated on my own ONCE.

I'm attributing it to recent weight loss. Pretty happy right now. :)

Congrats and good luck. I hope this is your month! :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Pixi posted:

Ha, I am pregnant!

Just when we stopped trying, BAM. We didn't even have sex at the right time. Hilarious and awesome.

Yay!!! Congrats! Crazy how things work out sometimes. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

Wife is 16 weeks pregnant and she said that today when she has gone to pee she has had pretty bad pains in her lower right abdomen. Anyone know what that means?

Could be a UTI. Sometimes if I hold my pee too long, once I finally go, I get a bit of cramping in my bladder, uterus and surrounding areas. It goes away shortly after I'm done peeing. You might get more answers in the pregnancy thread though. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3074285

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I was going to ask my gyno when I went in for a consultation but I totally forgot.

My ovulation tests came back sort of positive yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty sure positive this morning. We had sex in the middle of the night last night (yay for visiting family around ovulation time! We have to sneak around and have stealth sex like high school kids cause our bed is squeaky and our floors are squeaky) and today we're going to the ocean for the day. Do I have to worry about things getting washed out and the ocean water loving with all the fluids down there and making last nights work more or less useless? We've had sex more or less every other day for the past several days so I'm hoping to have a good store up there.

I had a consultation at the gyno on thursday. That was a bit promising. She looked at my charts (On chart 4 now!) and said it looks like I'm ovulating based on them but 7 days after my LH surge/Temp spike I have to go back to do a blood test and they're going to see how my hormones are doing. Does anyone know what they'd be looking for? I'd guess progesterone levels?

I hate reading ovulation tests. I'm pretty sure I got a positive today. If my family wasn't staying with me I would have taken a pic of it and posted it, but I don't want my mom to know we're trying because she'd be calling me every day asking me if I was pregnant yet and I don't need that stress.

Yay, congrats on ovulating! (That sounded less lame in my head). The ocean won't wash away any deposits in your hoohah. Generally you pee some of it out after sex, but there's still a lot going further upward toward your cervix and behind your cervix that's protected.

Not sure what the blood test would be for. Progesterone seems likely but there are a few other hormones released around the time of ovulation. It would be too early to be looking for elevated HCG levels for most women. I've heard of people getting positive results at 6dpo, but it's rare. No harm in calling them up to ask.

Ovulation tests can be a bitch. Some people's levels are always somewhat elevated, so they always have some sort of a line and some people's levels are always too low and a line never shows up. I was lucky in that I didn't have any sort of line at all until the day or two before ovulation and then it was gone within a day or two. There was no mistaking it for me.

I would recommend checking your cervical mucus consistency and cervical height/softness. If you know what you're looking for, it should correlate with ovulation time. Generally around ovulation, cervical mucus looks like it has an (pre-cooked) egg white consistency. Your cervix (if you're used to how it regularly feels) should be lower and more squishy than usual. I could never tell the difference in my cervical mucus. I'd always sit there scratching my head saying "hunh" when reading TTC threads and people going on and on about it. I could however, always tell the difference in my cervix if I went looking for it. I would just about always get a cramp on the side I was ovulating from, so even without the tests, I could often tell when I was ovulating.

Fingers are crossed for you. I hope this is your month. Now onto the two week wait (i.e. hell. Well, at least it always was for me.).

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Panne posted:

I recently went off birth control, but we're not actively trying. Just passively I guess. One the one hand, I want it to happen (we're ready financially and emotionally, or as ready as it is possible to get - the money situation might be tight, but doable). But I'm scared shitless now that the chance of it actually happening is real. What have I done? :S

Anyway, one thing I never thought about is how I should probably don't take migraine medication? I have these pills called sumatriptan (imigran, imitrex are alternate names) which I take when I feel a migraine coming. They're pretty powerful, so I wouldn't want to risk taking one while pregnant. Anyone else here have any experience with these? Or with migraine and pregnancy in general? (I guess I should ask that last question in the pregnancy thread, but as I'm not actually knocked up yet, I came here).

How long have you been off the pill for? The pill can cause/enhance getting migraines and their frequency. It took a month or two off the pill before my migraine frequency/severity decreased pretty much entirely (I still get the odd migraine here or there, but it's rare). We didn't know that the pill was what was causing mine and only found out after months of agonizing 2 - 3 weeks out of the month type of constant migraines. It's worse with some brands. With the first type of pill I was on, I got a few per month. I later switched to a different pill because the first was killing my libido, but the second kind gave me the hellish migraines. Took a while to figure it out because they didn't start for a month or so after starting the new pill.

Not saying that everyone on the pill who gets migraines has them caused by the pill, but you may be lucky and find that they start to go away or aren't nearly as bad anymore. You should talk to your doctor about more pregnancy friendly alternatives. I've gotten a few migraines since getting pregnant and I've taken those days slowly with my eyes covered. Not taking meds sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

qentiox posted:

Yay, Tinuviel!

I'm pregnant! I'm pretty excited. Gonna call the doctor Monday.

Congrats!

• Locked thread