Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Chickalicious posted:

I'm sure some of you might already know this, but I'm going to be joining the ranks of the Getting Knocked Up thread again. We went in last Monday for the first scheduled ultrasound and the fetus had stopped developing at 6w5d and I was supposed to be at 8w5d. I had been having some very light bleeding over the weekend that was getting heavier and brighter as the weekend went on, so I was sort of bracing myself for it. I had my D&C this past Thursday and I'm so glad I did it. My post-procedure bleeding is down to nearly nothing now - just a little spotting that's visible when I wipe after peeing. I couldn't imagine waiting up to 4 weeks for it to happen naturally.

The doctor says I should wait for my period again to be able to better estimate dates and such, but if I ovulate this month, you can drat well be sure that we're trying.
Glad you're doing a bit better. My fingers are crossed.

Some people say that you're more fertile right after a miscarriage. I dunno if it's true or not, but I hope for you that it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

Anybody else using/used the ovulation test strips from early-pregnancy-tests.com? My cervical mucus seems to be swinging towards the consistency of right before ovulation, so I took a test this afternoon. The test line being a little lighter than the control line means the LH is on the upswing but not quite at the peak right before ovulation right?

I'm just doubting my ability to know if I'm going to be ovulating soon since I just had my D&C less than 2 weeks ago, but all signs seem to be pointing to this weekend. Bonus: we can have sex again starting on Thursday!

It's possible that you're about to ovulate, but ovulation strips get positive results when you have HCG in your system. I would take a pregnancy test just to make sure that your HCG levels have dropped back down to below pregnancy levels. If they have, it means that you should be ovulating within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

I just took a pregnancy test and it's totally negative. I know it's late in the day, so that may affect it, but I think we'll be getting it on just in case. I'm just SO ANXIOUS to get pregnant again. I feel like a crazy person.

The last couple days I've been especially emotional too. I was ok for a week, and now every time I see a baby or sit alone with my thoughts (which is a lot because my husband works from 3pm to 12am), I get weepy. I even had a dream last night that my cousin got pregnant before me (she's not seeing anyone at all to even get that way) and I was so irrationally mad in my dream.

I never wanted to be this way.

If it was stark negative, then that's really good. It shouldn't have triggered a positive result on an OPK unless you're actually ovulating or taking fertility meds.

Hugs. After my miscarriage (9 years ago) I had very similar feelings. It's never easy to lose a pregnancy/child. To be honest, up until I got pregnant again, I had a hard time with a few friends/family getting pregnant. Not that I wasn't happy for them, I was just sad for myself. It's ok to feel that way, even in dreams.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

Good luck!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

Go team uterus, I'm pregnant again! :D

I tested yesterday and got a very depressing negative (it was on a digital so not ambiguous at all)... but then my temperature was still super high this morning so I tested with early morning pee and bam, there it is.

Yay! Congrats! :D

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

Hooray Longpig & slowfoot!

I am just finishing up my first period since my D&C (I am so freaking regular, it started exactly 28 days after the procedure), so we'll be trying again this month. My period this time around was super light. Anyone else that has had a D&C - did your periods change afterward? I kept bracing myself for a heavy flow day like usual, but it just never came. I only had to use a couple regular flow tampons (the rest were light flow). Usually I have a couple days where nothing but supers will do.

We've got company that's going to be in town while I'm ovulating, so I guess we'll just have to do some quiet baby-making.

My mom had a D&C back in the day. Not for miscarriage, but for her extraordinarily painful and heavy periods. It lightened her flow for a few months, but went back to being heavy and painful again.

Good luck this month!

Congrats slowfoot!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

I had an ultrasound at the hospital and they said that things seemed pretty well back to normal then, so I guess I must have passed it all pretty quickly. It certainly felt that way; it hurt like hell. I really want to get pregnant again ASAP so maybe I'll give it a go tonight...

I say go for it. You sound ready. Good luck!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

dishonesty posted:

Hey Guys

My fiance and I have been together 5+ years and have gone off the pill about 2 weeks ago. A baby is something I've wanted more than anything for a few years now - we both have, but he's wanted to make sure we're in a better place financially etc (men - :rolleyes:).

I've never had any great aspirations of an amazing career or uni degree or whatever - all I have ever wanted is to be a Mum and it has brought me to tears numerous times a year for the last couple of years because I want it so bad.

So now that we're actually trying I'm terrified. I know it's "normal" to take 6-12 months to conceive and that frightens the hell out of me. I want so badly to fall pregnant straight away.

I always wanted to be a young Mum... 22/23 years old. I'm 25 now, so probably 26 or 27 or even 28 by the time I have a baby. It was always hard to remind my partner that going off the pill doesn't mean instant pregnancy. It doesn't go 'off the pill -> pregnant -> baby' all within a month or whatever... it's more like a month to a year to conceive, then 10 months of pregnancy.. so more like a 1-2 years process.

Now while I know that that I am by no means old, in MY mind and my plan, I feel like I'm already years behind, so every month..hell, every day and week that went by that we weren't trying for a baby was tearing me apart.

I just wish we had of started a year or more ago :(

And now.... every period I get is going to break my heart. I know that stress and focusing on conceiving too much can negatively influence my ability to conceive but it's all I've thought about since the day we decided to go off the pill. Alllll day. And because I've been on the pill so long, I have no idea how long my cycle is so I just have to wait and see when I get my next period and hope that it's regular from then on and I regularly ovulate.

Wow.. that was a bit of an essay.. was meant to be a small introduction!

Anyway, it's been wonderful reading all of your stories - my heart leaps every time I read that someone is pregnant. I hope that I'm posting a picture of my positive HPT very soon :)

Heh, I could have written parts of this post word for word about a year ago. Though I got off of the pill for health reasons and we couldn't get pregnant for over a year after that because of some medication that I was taking that doesn't mix with pregnancy..

Try to not focus on negatives and to not stress over the whole process. It might take some time, and then again, it might happen nearly right away. People seem to have better luck getting pregnant when not thinking about it and stressing over it. I know, easier said than done, but it's true. Enjoy the sex for being sex and remember that practice makes perfect. ;)

My recommendation is to start checking your cervical mucus for signs of fertility (mine really was never indicative of anything, though other women seem to be very aware of it) and possibly stocking up on some ovulation test strips to double check your body's fertile signs. I've never read "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" but everyone here that's read it recommends it. It might be another good place to start.

Good luck. I hope you get your positive HPT soon as well. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Papaya posted:

Quick question for you all, figure I'd ask here since this is the getting there part and the other thread is the already there/soon to be there part.

SO, when I met my husband, we both agreed we wanted kids. For the last nearly 3 years we've had them as part of the future. Even when he got testicular cancer and wound up sterile, we discussed options and made new plans that involved children in other ways.

After spending one weekend with my brother and his wife, and their (unusually) well-behaved 14 month old son, my husband has decided that children are too much hassle and no rewards. He stated that to him, kids are school, camping, trips, conversations - a child that is not of a "speaking age" is no fun and is all work and annoyance. He told me that the cancer is like fate now, so he won't have to worry about children now that he knows he doesn't want them.

So, ouch! My life's goals include children, and I told him in no uncertain terms that if he truly doesn't want them, then I won't make him. But I won't be staying. I've heard this situation somewhere else I think on SA, and I guess what I'm looking for is some advice as to how to explain my point of view, like, to see if I could get him to at least see things my way, or something. I feel like I just got screwed since I in all honesty would not have let this relationship progress if he'd known at the start he didn't want them.

I'm at a loss. I love my husband, but I want a family :(

Big hugs! I can't imagine what you must be struggling with emotionally, but I can say that I'm really angry for you.

I don't have any advice differing from what the other ladies have said. I hope that you two will be able to sit down and discuss it, and that he'll understand where you're coming from. I really hope that it works out for you guys!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

dishonesty posted:

Okay so I'm stupid and impatient and did a test anyway. I stupidly didn't use my first morning's wee, so it's not as concentrated or whatever.

The FAINTEST of faint lines showed up... so faint that I'm not sure it's actually a result line, and maybe that it's more just where the line should be.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I realise I'm being totally crazy about this and it's only month 1 lol.

I guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow and use first morning's pee.

If that showed up in 10 minutes or less, it is a definite positive. Congrats! Those tests are really sensitive, I always recommend them. My first positive looked just like that. I'll be 30 weeks on Monday.

This is at 10 dpo. :)

ETA: The morning after I took the above test, I took a digital test and I had enough HCG in my system to show "pregnant". You may as well splurge on the digital.

Lannie fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 4, 2009

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

I got my period yesterday. This indicates I'm not pregnant (also took a test to be extra sure) and my luteal phase is too short. Way to short. It was 7 days. Does anyone have any experience with having a short luteal phase? I read up on it and it doesn't seem to be a big issue for most people since there are a lot of treatments for it, but I'm still bummed. I was so hoping that since I'm healthy and my husband's healthy that we wouldn't have too much trouble trying to conceive. I'm relieved I'm charting though, since otherwise I would have no idea there was a problem. I'm just frustrated.

I'm going to call my ob/gyn today to figure out what to do next, but if anyone has any personal experience with this I'd love to hear what you have to say. Everything I've read makes it seem that a short luteal phase is very treatable and so not a big obstacle in trying to conceive. Is this accurate?

It's definitely easily treatable these days. There are several things you can do. The "at home remedy" would be to start taking a B comlex vitamin and to start either taking vitex pills or a prenatal with vitex in it. It's not guaranteed, but both usually help regulate menstrual cycles. Doctor wise, as Asulita said, your OB or midwife can put you on progesterone.

My sil had this issue after her first was born. After 2 or so month on meds she got pregnant with her 2nd. :)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

Thanks for bringing unwanted drama in here. GTFO.

In other news Butterbean 2.0 Attempt 1 = FAIL :(

Concurred, and sorry it didn't happen this month. Easier said than done, but try not to stress and keep it FUN!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

My period was due yesterday, but it's still not here yet. No spotting, cramping or any other impending period signs. Stopped at Walmart to buy tests, but I'm resisting the urge to pee on a stick til tomorrow morning. ANXIOUS.

Good luck! *fingers crossed*

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Sorry Chickalicious. Sending you good thoughts for next month!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

OMG!

YAY!

Yay! Congrats! That is a daaaark line! :D

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

Hi guys... Not good news I'm afraid. I went to the ER where my cramps and bleeding got worse. HCG level was a measly 11 indicating that development probably stopped a couple of days ago. Bleah. I pretty much knew what was up before I went to the hospital but every time, I harbour this stupid little hope that things will somehow be OK. :(

I would have just stayed at home to bleed, but I'm Rh- and Mr. Longpig is + so I have to get a nasty painful shot on top of everything else every time this happens!

I'm so sorry Longpig. I really hope that you can get in to see an RE and get some answers. I'm so heartbroken for you. :( Hugs!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

One line means no and two lines means yes. I got no lines and now I'm out of pee for a second test to see if the initial one was a bum test. Argh! Today is day 31 of my normally 28-29 day cycle. I just want to know what's going on!

Edit: Ok, I was being impatient. Ding ding ding, ROUND TWO.

!!! YAY!!!!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

My temperature went way down today, so I'll be getting my period today or tomorrow. It's the 8th day past ovulation. I took a pregnancy test because my ob said to every month on the 8th day past ovulation. When I last saw him he had me track my temperatures for three months, then to fax it to him. This is the third month since I saw him, so once I get my period I'll call his office and fax the chart over and then hopefully we'll find out what's going on. I know we haven't been trying very long (this is the 5th month), so hopefully it's all just a "this takes time" thing and not a "there's a problem" thing.

8dpo is way too early to get a positive result for most people. It's rare to get one before 10 - 14 days. I'm kinda surprised that they'd tell you to take one that early. It's just setting one up for disappointment.

Chickalicious, I was excited about my pregnancy before my "miscarriage point", but I was really cautious until after I passed it. I miscarried my first around 8 weeks and I don't think I really "relaxed" about the pregnancy until 13 or so weeks.

I worried about every cramp I had (they were growing/stretching cramps), and then I worried when I stopped having them.. I think that regardless of having a previous miscarriage, there will always be something to "worry" about. Just know that paranoia during pregnancy is normal and try to not let it rule your 9+ months.

Longpig, I really hope that your insurance won't screw you out of finding out what's wrong or getting treatment. :-/

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Twatty Seahag posted:

Thanks again everyone. I called my gyn this morning and the triage nurse told me it was way too early to come in for a blood test since my last period started 4/13. :sigh: They said Friday at earliest. I apparently have some misconceptions about how all this works! I figured a positive test meant I could get this ball rollin'.

Congrats! Made me really happy to hear after what your lovely coworkers did.

My guess is that the bleeding you had was either implantation bleeding or misc bleeding. Your test line is really dark. Much darker than a "pre-period" test. Mine didn't get that dark until I was 5 - 6 weeks along (3 - 4 weeks gestation). I'd call them back to have them do a quantitative HCG test to find out your levels, and/or an ultrasound for dating.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

fishandcandy posted:

They only have 50mg DHA. :( So I'd still have to take a pill for that, I want closer to 200mg. Plus I'm taking extra B12, B6 and folic acid, so I'd still have to take those, too.

Actually I'm hoping all the extra B vitamins will prevent at least some of my puking.

I had been taking a B complex vitamin before I got pregnant. I had to stop taking it when I was about 6 weeks along because it was making me puke more than anything else. Supposedly a lot of women have issues with B during pregnancy.

As for prenatals, I found the Naturemade gels that you mentioned above to be the only prenatals I could take. They never made me throw up like the other ones did.

I ended up taking the Naturemade prenatal, extra folic acid, fish oil, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, red raspberry leaf, extra iron, and cranberry pills by the end of my pregnancy. Oy vey! I take so many pills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

The only major warning against EPO is that people with diabetes shouldn't use it without permission and guidance from a doctor because it can change insulin resistance.

I never took it before I was pregnant, but I did take it for the last few weeks of pregnancy. Didn't help me at all for ripening my cervix, sadly.

Taking B vitamin complex is also said to help regulate the menstrual cycle. I had been taking it to help with a lack of energy before I got pregnant. My cycle was always on schedule while I was taking it. I had to stop taking it during my pregnancy though. I got really bad insomnia (not from it) and it didn't help. It really does boost your energy.

• Locked thread