Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Alterian posted:

Not to mention a lot of us (like me) were on the pill and we're not sure when our cycles are going to be normal again. It can be normal the first month after stopping or depending on what you're on and for how long up to a year. When the switch flips in your head and you want a baby now, those months wait can be freaking torture especially when everyone else around you is getting pregnant.

No poo poo. My husband and I were fine with "one day we'll have kids". Then his sister got pregnant and it was like all of the sudden, we realized that "one day" was NOW. Now as in why the hell am I not already pregnant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Alterian posted:

So I've been searching around and finding that people take their basal temperature when they are checking for thyroid conditions by sticking the thermometer in their armpit for 10 minutes and taking the reading. Can I use this method for ovulatory purposes?

This is how they taught us to take our baby's temperature when he was in the NICU. Keep in mind that the reading is going to be .5 to 1 degree lower than an oral temp. But basically, you need to be taking it the same way every day, so as long as you have an accurate thermometer and make sure you aren't sweaty and that the thermometer has skin contact rather than clothing, you should be ok, since you're looking for temperature changes from day to day.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Fire In The Disco posted:

Now I need to find an obstetrician. I am not sure if there are any at the birth center I plan on using for prenatal care; I know they have nurses and midwives and doulas, but I don't think they have obstetricians. Still, they're probably a good place to start, and maybe they have recommendations I can try.

Be sure to let them know about your high blood pressure and diabetes when you call and ask for a referral because it may dictate which doctor you see. I was classified as a high risk pregnancy due to HBP (& some other things in my history, but primarily the high blood pressure). Pretty much my perinatologist's entire practice was made up of a few women having multiples and everyone else had HBP, diabetes, or both.

Good luck and I hope you get someone you love as much as I loved Dr. Piaquadio!

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

qentiox posted:

I know I mention it all the time, but if you don't want to mess with monitors, learning how to chart your fertility using cervical mucus has been really really successful for us. We got pregnant twice in 3 months (first was a miscarriage), and I can't imagine we're THAT fertile.

Also, congrats to all the pregnant ladies, good luck to those trying.

Yeah, I got pregnant at 33 and again at 34 by checking my mucous every day - I wasn't ready to bother with thermometers and meters and charts and stuff, I just checked my mucous for the right consistency. Both times I got knocked up the first month. There's absolutely no way I'm that fertile. We've been married 9 years, I went off the pill at 30 due to side effects and we've never had a pregnancy scare.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

SKeefe posted:

Ah thanks, I checked out that thread once and for some reason it always seemed to be a thread about people with kids (kids that were already born, ya know).

We're really not! Most of us in there started posting when were pregnant. You just caught us at a bad time, there seems to be cycles of mini-baby booms in there so you probably caught us just when a lot of people had recently had their babies. There's a few in there that are still baking right now.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

sinistrality posted:

So my next question is-- What's the advice you'd give to someone like a year out? What's the order I need to be doing/taking things to be in good shape when the time comes? We are both in good physical shape and I quit drinking caffeine for other reasons about a month ago. I've never been a smoker or much of a drinker, but my husband smokes so if there's any legit reason involving babies I could cite to make him quit, that would be great. :)

TL;DR - Thanks you guys, you're all awesome and made me feel alot better! What do I do now, being a year or so out?

According to my perinatalogist, it's never too early to start taking folic acid. In fact, she recommended that I start at least 6 months before trying, and then start pre-natals as soon as I started trying.

Also, make the husband quit smoking before you start trying. Children of smokers are MUCH more likely to be asthmatic, suffer from recurring ear infections, and die from SIDS. Additionally, there are studies showing that a gestating mother's second-hand smoke exposure passes to the baby and can lead to low birth weight, premature birth, miscarriage, stillbirth, and babies being born with decreased lung function.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,midwife_47rn,00.html

http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/secondhandsmoke.html

I had a premature baby with low birth weight and decreased lung function for other reasons, and I really gotta say, that's a bag of tricks you DON'T want to buy into. Because he was so small, the breathing tube blew a hole in his lung (terribly common in preemies, because their lung walls are so weak), so he ended up with a chest tube. He's over 2 now and he's got a scar on his side from the chest tube. He was in NICU for a month, all hooked up to machines and pumps and bullshit. It's terrifying and heartbreaking and studies now show that parents of babies who spent more than 3 days in NICU have an ENORMOUSLY high rate of Acute Stress Disorder and PTSD. If there's anything to be done to avoid it, DO IT!
He's healthy and happy now, but it was a long road to get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
Congrats! I'm pulling for you and your line!

• Locked thread