Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Google Embryo posted:

I'll just say good luck to all those who are trying, and if you haven't gotten pregnant and have been trying for 6 months - 1 year, it's time to involve a doctor.
My wife and I started trying to get pregnant last September. We found out she was pregnant at the beginning of November. She went to the doctor the next day, found out her HCG levels were very low (like 18), and she then had a miscarriage (or "chemical pregnancy") a few days later.

We took a month off and then started trying again. Her period is very irregular when she is not on the pill (35-39 day cycles), so this made it more complicated. We did use the ovulation strips. Last month the doctor prescribed her a small dose of Femara.

Anyway, on this past Sunday she took a pregnancy test and it came up positive! She went to the doctor on Monday, got another positive, and they took blood. Tuesday we got the results and her HCG levels were 249, which they said is more like what it should be if you are 3 weeks pregnant, as opposed to the 5 weeks that we think/know she is (ovulation was on April 19th or 20th, with her first day of her last period on April 4th).

So needless to say, we are both extremely stressed and freaking out. She went back to give blood again this morning and we are hoping to get the results back late this afternoon, if not definitely tomorrow.

I'm trying to tell myself that the "normal" HCG charts maybe don't apply as much to her since her period cycle is so long/strange. I know that the actual "normal" range is huge for those things and that what really matters is that it doubles every 2 or 3 days, but hers is still well below the "normal."

Trying to get pregnant sucks. When you look around and see babies everywhere, especially people who have unwanted and unplanned children, it seems like it is so easy to get pregnant. It sucks for us though.

ScottK fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

Also, trust me, I know this feeling. Right after I miscarried, my sister in law got pregnant, then a bunch of friends.
Yea, we are at the age where A HUGE NUMBER of our peers are getting pregnant, not to mention people younger than us getting pregnant accidentally. Every time someone announces they are pregnant, of course we are happy for them, but I can tell it is like torture for my wife.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Aardvarklet posted:

Something else I'm wondering--are you sure the doctors aren't saying "3 weeks" as in "3 weeks from conception exactly?" I know they normally figure from the date of last period, but maybe they mean exactly 3? Because if she ovulated around the 19th or 20th, and it didn't implant for another week...the numbers probably wouldn't be too far off. I'm sure you've already thought of that and I'm just misreading it but I thought I'd put it out there in case.
Yea, we thought of that, and that does make it more confusing. But according to the charts that we looked up online it appears that they are basically saying that the HCG levels are lower than they should be.

Anyway, while waiting on pins and needles to hear from my wife after she heard from the doctor's office, she just called and let me know that somehow her blood sample "didn't get dropped off" so we get to wait another loving day on the results.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

SKeefe posted:

Tuesday we got the results and her HCG levels were 249,
Well we just found out that the levels have only gone up to 275 so it looks like it's just a loving matter of time.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
Well, "it" hasn't happened yet and now we are getting ready to go to our nephew's (who we love, don't get me wrong) 1st birthday party!

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
I don't really know if I should be posting this here or in the miscarriage thread, but here goes:

As I've said before, my wife has had two very early miscarriages. The second one was between 1-2 months ago. She was in a good bit of pain so we ended up going to the doctor and having an ultrasound, and they said there was a lot of blood/clots in her uterus.

We had the talk with the doctor and he suggested we wait about 3 months before beginning to try to get pregnant again, which we intended to do.

So here's my question. She never really bled a whole lot, at least not as much as was expected after the ultrasound (although she did have her levels checked again after about a week and they said that they had gone down like they should have). She just took a pregnancy test and we are pregnant again, so basically she never had a period after the miscarriage. I guess I am worried about whether or not the "wait 3 months" thing is for physical or emotional reasons. I'm wondering if she could still have blood/clots that could sort of make the uterus uninhabitable for the newly fertilized egg.

I don't know, I'm just worried again. Of course she will be going to the doctor some time soon and we'll probably get these answers from the doctor.

ScottK fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 24, 2009

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Evil Stepmother posted:

It's more to heal physically and emotionally - can't remember w/o pulling up the other thread if y'all had to do a d&c or not. If I remember right, it was more of a chemical pregnancy, right? So probably a mix of emotional and physical - if her levels went down y'all should be fine, but make sure the doc is aware of the history - remind them and all - so they can make sure all is well up in there (and you might get an early u/s out of it, if they want to make sure the HCG triggering the positive isn't residual). Wishing you much luck.
No d&c. She had her levels taken today and the HCG was 55 and progesterone was 19 which they said was normal for both. We'll see I guess.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Taima posted:

the "must have babies now" mentality that you can see throughout this thread.
Well, just make sure you differentiate between a sudden feeling of "must have babies now" and the strong desire to get pregnant that a woman (or a couple) can get when they have rationally decided to try to have a child and are having a some or a lot of difficulty.

There is a difference, and I think of the latter case as simply wanting things badly that you are really trying for and that it appears you can't have.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Azulita posted:

I would recommend that your wife ask her doctor about progesterone. Progesterone pills are commonly prescribed to women with fertility problems or recurrent miscarriages to help the baby really stick, as it is sometimes low progesterone that causes miscarriage.
Thanks! I mentioned above somewhere that she went to the doctor and they took her HCG and progesterone levels and both were normal for the early stage she's at. I guess it's just a matter of it continuing that way.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

SKeefe posted:

No d&c. She had her levels taken today and the HCG was 55 and progesterone was 19 which they said was normal for both. We'll see I guess.
Well, they took her blood again on Friday and she got the results back yesterday, and the HCG was at 97 (if it doubled like it should it should be around 110), so that is close enough for them to consider it normal.

She also gave blood again yesterday and got those results back and it was up to 365, so so far so good.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Lannie posted:

Congrats! It's sounding good so far. :) Do you know what her progesterone levels are?
I know last week they said they were 19 which they said was good. I don't know what they were for the past two tests (Friday and Monday) but apparently they were fine.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
The nurse finally called back (at 6:15 yesterday afternoon!) and told my wife that everything looks good! She didn't say what the numbers were but she said they were good, so they made an appointment for an ultrasound in a week or two.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

SKeefe posted:

The nurse finally called back (at 6:15 yesterday afternoon!) and told my wife that everything looks good! She didn't say what the numbers were but she said they were good, so they made an appointment for an ultrasound in a week or two.
Ultrasound this morning... she is 6.5 weeks pregnant, baby is less than 1cm long, heart beat is 128bpm, and everything looks fine.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
Like I said somewhere above, my wife is pregnant again and this time it actually looks like it "stuck" so far. She is around 8 weeks now.

She's having the (what I guess are) normal symptoms, feeling nauseated, increased sense of smell (including being disgusted by many common smells), and has thrown up a couple of times. She feels nauseated at any time of the day or night, which is supposedly normal.

She quit taking her "prenatal vitamins" and instead started taking the chewable Flintstones vitamins, along with a Folic Acid pill, but she still was just as sick. Last night she only took the Flintstones vitamin, and NOT the Folic Acid, and this morning she feels pretty good. Is this a coincidence or could the Folic Acid be making her sick? It's just really hard to tell if she is sick because she's pregnant or if she's sick because of something she's taking.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

qentiox posted:

Good luck, Longpig. I got pregnant with my daughter 2 months after a miscarriage, so hopefully you won't have to wait long if you don't want to.
Indeed. My wife is pregnant right now and she got pregnant again before even having a period after her miscarriage.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Lannie posted:

SKeefe, how's your wife doing? Everything going well?
She is doing fine I guess, although she has been pretty sick as far as nausea/vomiting goes.

I've actually got a number of questions I've been wanting to post, but we actually have our first visit with the doctor tomorrow, so I figured I could just ask him. Since she is around 10 weeks now, they will be attempting to hear the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler(?) tomorrow.

edit - I guess I'll go ahead and post a few questions since I'm here.

As far as the nausea goes, like I said she has been pretty sick. She basically is very very hungry and has to eat every hour or two or else she starts to feel sick (although she still ends up being sick when she does eat regularly). She has only thrown up a few times, but she feels sick quite a bit. She doesn't really throw up a whole lot, just a lot of gagging, etc. Really it seems like her gag reflex has gotten really bad, where she almost throws up when brushing her teeth, etc. Is this normal? This happens in the morning, afternoon, even in the middle of the night.

She has gotten a couple of really bad headaches, one to the point where she threw up and didn't really know if she threw up because she was nauseated from being pregnant or because she had such a bad headache. Is that normal?

Also, and this is weird, but she has told me that when she has been feeling nauseated a lot, it actually makes her feel sick to look at her ultrasound picture, or to look at the baby development pictures online, or once even when she saw a really pregnant woman out somewhere. I told her I guess it is just her mind correlating her being pregnant with being sick, but it seems sort of worrisome. When she has been feeling fine, none of this occurs.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Alterian posted:

Arrgh. I still have a couple days till I should get my period but I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I guess there's still a chance. I really thought I got pregnant this month. I'm having a lot of early symptoms like mild constant nausea, headaches, tired, peeing more, and my lower back hurts for no drat reason. I even had an implantation dip in my temp chart this month. Oh well. :sigh:
When my wife and I were trying to get pregnant, she would almost ALWAYS take a early detection pregnancy test as soon as she could, and sometimes possibly a day or two too early. I eventually talked her into waiting because it would suck, she would get a negative, then we'd be like "oh well you took it pretty early so you might still have a chance!" and then she'd take one later and it also would be negative.

Anyway, my advice is to just wait until you are sure it is late enough to take the test.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
Wife is 16 weeks pregnant and she said that today when she has gone to pee she has had pretty bad pains in her lower right abdomen. Anyone know what that means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Lannie posted:

Could be a UTI. Sometimes if I hold my pee too long, once I finally go, I get a bit of cramping in my bladder, uterus and surrounding areas. It goes away shortly after I'm done peeing. You might get more answers in the pregnancy thread though. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3074285
Ah thanks, I checked out that thread once and for some reason it always seemed to be a thread about people with kids (kids that were already born, ya know).

• Locked thread