Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Cheap pregnancy tests! Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Mikuru Beam posted:

Has anyone in here heard about how hormone-mimicking plastic softeners interfere with fertility? I’ve been looking everywhere and while there’s a definite connection, I can’t find any literature that mentions if the effects are permanent or if you can “detox” them out of your system. I’m not looking to have a baby yet, but I don’t want to mess with my chances in the future. I keep reading about all of these “dire consequences” and I can’t tell if it’s hyperbole or not. Right now, literally every meal I have comes wrapped in plastic—I’m only eating lean cuisines to help me keep track of my calorie intake—and I have to nuke it in the microwave since our apartment has really cheap appliances (apparently exposure to heat increases the release of these chemicals). Anyone heard about this or asked a doctor about it? I feel nervous.

You could pop the food out of the plastic and cook it in a bowl or plate instead.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

porkypocky posted:

Hey ladies,

This is a not-so-happy post in an happy thread--if you want the whole story it's in the birth control megathread, but since there are actual pregnant ladies posting I think my question is better answered here.

The lady at the clinic used the little calendar thing to count how many weeks from my last period, but I'm fairly certain of the date of conception(plus I had implantation bleeding/pain 5-6 days after that date and it lasted two weeks). Am I supposed to go from the date of my last period or the date of conception to measure how far along I am? Using the calendar I'm 7.4 weeks, counting from the date of conception it's more like 5.

Also, am I considered really early? I have reactions ranging from "meh, you're all right" to "OMG that's, like, almost two months already!!" :what:

If you count from your date of conception, you add two weeks.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

dishonesty posted:

Part of what pissed me off the most about losing pregnancies.. (apart from losing baby of course) was that I'd have to start allll over again. The weeks dragging by, waiting for scans, waiting til 12 weeks... all that.

This is the only part of losing my baby that really made me angry. 21 weeks of pregnancy and all I got was this dead baby... It sucks that it happened to my baby and my heart is broken, but sometimes terrible things happen. But now I have to start all over just when I was getting to the part of pregnancy I really like. That is just hosed up.

So, I read TCOYF and decided to start charting my temps this week to practice. Postpartum bleeding stopped last week and I think I'll get my period back pretty quickly. I have a dr's appt next week and hopefully he'll give me the okay to start trying.

I've been taking my handfuls of vitamins everyday. Prenatal + DHA + 4 mg of folic acid, since I have an increased risk of another baby having a neural tube defect.

I wish there was more I could be doing to get ready. I feel like I'm in limbo. I really hate waiting.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
If you do get the rubella vax, your doc might want you to wait some amount of time before you get pregnant. CDC says 4 weeks.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/mmr/faqs-mmr-hcp.htm#pregnancy

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I might have to try those gummies once I get pregnant. I went and bought Naturemade prenatals with DHA and they are huge. Like giant kidney beans. I can't imagine swallowing a huge pill like that when I'm puking all the time.

I'm casually charting this cycle. It's frustrating.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Therapee posted:

These have DHA and Omega 3 already in them, along with all of the B's and folic acid. No iron though. They leave kind of a funky taste in the back of my throat, but other than that they go down easy and cause no issues. I have a really sensitive stomach and everything gives me heartburn. I was afraid the fruit flavors would give me heartburn but so far they haven't, even on an empty stomach.

They only have 50mg DHA. :( So I'd still have to take a pill for that, I want closer to 200mg. Plus I'm taking extra B12, B6 and folic acid, so I'd still have to take those, too.

Actually I'm hoping all the extra B vitamins will prevent at least some of my puking.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
High doses of B6 can prevent morning sickness. It helped me before but I was never super consistent about taking it. I take 100mg a day - way more than in a B-complex vitamin.

I think I need a calcium supplement, too. But maybe I'll just start drinking a big glass of milk or something.

I have some kid's DHA gummies. The say they're lemonade flavor, but it's more of a lemon fish flavor. Gross.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
You might want to ask the doctor if there was a reason he prescribed them.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Therapee posted:

My Pre-Seed came today and they weren't lying. They actually included "baby dust", which is code for a big bag of glitter and confetti moon, stars, and something that just says 'BABY'.

Hell yeah! That's hilarious.

Safety Dancer, ask in the pregnancy thread, you'll get more responses. I say no to the baby shampoo. Oh, unless you know what baby shampoo she likes and maybe you make up a cute little basket yourself. Those gift sets are overpriced and come with stuff I wouldn't use. I actually have an unopened one I got 2 years ago.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

dishonesty posted:

I don't have a terribly useful update, but my period arrived yesterday and I'm sulking.

That is all.

:smith:
Mine started today.

I guess I'll order some OPKs.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I am ovulating, like, NOW. So... too soon to test? :) I had a + OPK yesterday and it was so exciting. I kept giggling.

Dishonesty, I'm really hoping we get pregnant the same month. Our last pregnancies were close and I was really sad when you lost yours.
Mischa and Quinn had the same due date and it was awesome.

Um... sticky baby dust to you all. Whatever that means.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I signed up for Amazon Mom yesterday! You get another month of prime for every $25 in eligible purchases, too.

I ordered 14 opks and 5 hpts from babyhopes.com for something like $16. Now I feel like I got ripped off. I check Amazon before I buy anything else but for some reason I didn't with these.

I'm really hoping I don't get to the point where I have to order any more.

dishonesty posted:

I sure hope so!

Then we just need to get around the 15000km gap between us, for our babies to play.

Oh yeah. :) I'm only about 2 hours from Ashling and Quinn and we only manage to get together about once year.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Well, I'm out for this month.

Got my fingers crossed for you, dishonesty.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

I Wish I Was posted:

I'm getting very frustrated with the ovulation test strips. I used them every day for the past week, and in the last three days they were showing a light pink line, which the directions say is negative. Today, I got no line at all. Does this mean I'm just not ovulating this month, or should I be taking the light lines as positive readings? Could I go from light pink to nothing and then to positive? I'm so confused...

http://www.peeonastick.com/opkodyssey.html

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

I feel like a failure

I totally get that feeling. I got pregnant but made a hosed up baby.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Roxy Rouge posted:

My heart is with you. My brother was a full term worst kind of spina bifida baby. My mom didn't know until birth and was shocked. He lived 13 days with nearly as many surgerys as days alive. I feel a kinship with you and hope that you are expecting soon.

Thank you.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Banana Cat - I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in, but I've read about women with long cycles taking soy isoflavones to try to ovulate earlier. I guess it's like a natural Clomid.
You can check cervical position, too.
I can't imagine using opks for 40 days. I've been using them for 7 days and am so frustrated. I have no idea what's going on. I only have one left, so I'm really hoping it's positive. Or that my temp goes up soon. I'm going crazy with all this waiting this month.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Moosephant posted:

I may pick up a folic acid supplement too. I've actually been taking a prenatal vitamin for several months now too. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to take a folic acid supplement too?

Yes.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

The oval office Pickle posted:

I was considering using the BBT method.

Anyone have experience with this thermometer?
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/bbt-thermometers.html

Or any better ones/methods of predicting ovulation?

I use an $8 thermometer from Target and it works great. The features are about the same as that one.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Alterian posted:

I let my alarm go off early, grab my thermometer and stick it under my arm and doze off for another 15 minutes. If I stuck it up my vag, I could see myself dozing off, half forgetting about it, and managing to break the glass thermometer while its up there. :gonk:

Exactly. I take my temp at 4:30 when my husband goes to work. I don't want to wake up 2 hours later wondering where my thermometer is.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
OMG, dishonesty! I'm so excited!
I'm not testing until Sunday... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Hi, Pluto. Something like that is my nightmare, too. Wait... I wish it was my nightmare because then it wouldn't be my real life. poo poo, I want to bombard you with questions.

Also, I'm out for this month.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I have a similar problem with my husband. He hates the idea of trying, so I can't really talk to him about it. But I'm desperate to get pregnant. :(
Don't wait until he's going to bed to try to have sex! I make that mistake a lot. Then he's too tired. And I'm mad because doesn't he know he's WASTING MY FERTILITY!

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

I Wish I Was posted:

Possibly the single worst thread on all of SA he could have chosen.

No kidding.

I'm on cd24. I think I ovulated between cd16 and 19. Fertility Friend isn't giving me crosshairs b/c I only have 10 temps for this month.

The 13th was my due date. :(

I'm testing on Thanksgiving if I haven't gotten my period by then. So, Thanksgiving is either going to be awesome or it's going to suck so bad.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

I Wish I Was posted:

I think one of the reasons we've had two people in the past week come in here to ask about accidental pregnancies is the title of the thread. "Gettin' Knocked Up" gives the impression that it could be about finding yourself pregnant, rather than the process of trying to get pregnant. Reading the OP would dispel that misconception, but how many people read that if they've got a one-off question like the two we've encountered?

I was thinking that same thing. The Trying to Conceive Megathread?

I don't want to read about anymore dudes having unprotected sex with their drunk girlfriends and getting them pregnant. gently caress them.

Also, I got my period.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

dishonesty posted:

I'm back again!

Well, poo poo.
Are they doing the testing on the fetus again?

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope - it's a website featuring stories from women who've lost pregnancies and infants. They also have a forum. I was pretty obsessed with dead babies for awhile and I'm a mod for the Termination for Medical Reasons board. It's a good place to vent about stuff I can't really talk about with other people.

Anyway, I don't know if you, dishonesty, or anybody else would be interested but I thought I'd throw it out there.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

My husband and I are also very private people (it took a long time for me to be comfortable posting here, and I still get nervous; I have a lot of anxiety around sharing personal information) and trying to conceive, especially when you're having problems, is very personal and emotionally charged and I just want it to be between us.

Yeah... and talking about trying to conceive is also talking about having sex and I feel weird about that. I post more on Babycenter and some other TTC boards where I feel more anonymous but I still don't talk about "babydancing" or post my chart or anything.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
You could get your rubella titers checked or you could just get the shot. If you're going in for an annual exam, you could just mention it then.
I went to see my regular doc before trying with Mischa b/c I needed to get off Paxil, we didn't really discuss anything else, though. With my deadbaby (sorry if that offends), I had my annual with my OB a couple months before. I wasn't really trying, so I didn't ask anything then, but the nurse asked what I was using for birth control. When I said nothing, she asked what I was doing to prevent pregnancy. Uh, nothing, that's what I meant when I said I wasn't using birth control.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Maybe you're just ovulating later?

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

slinkimalinki posted:

For those worrying that sperm is running out of them after sex, I read recently (in a handbook from a fertility service) that what runs out is the non-sperm seminal fluids that are no longer needed, the spermy-bits having coagulated. It wasn't 100% clearly written, but since they finished the paragraph with "so if you're worried that sperm is running out of you, don't be.", I have to assume that was what they were saying.

Or if you're really worried, you could put in an Instead cup right after you have sex and I guess it'll hold everything in. A bunch of girls on one of my TTC boards did that. (Not me.)

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Alterian posted:

Yeah, they also say if they're not in the mood, they get their husbands to jack it into the cups and just put it up there.

Husbands do that?!? That is seriously insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I don't think you can judge someone's grief on how far along they were in their pregnancy. There are women who are absolutely devasted by miscarriages at 6 weeks - like naming the baby and getting memorial tattoos.
And having a genetically defective baby doesn't make losing it any easier either.

I think it's also becoming a lot more normal to spread the news earlier now that facebook makes oversharing so much easier. Which, on one hand, I like because I don't like the idea of not being able to tell people b/c you're afraid you might have a shameful miscarriage that you need to keep secret. On the other hand, how dare you be so confident that your pregnancy will result in a child. A girl I know is around 8 weeks and some of my friends were talking about throwing her a baby shower. And I'm thinking let's wait and see if she gets that far.

Anyway... my friend's daughter got pregnant a few months after me and didn't know what she was having yet when I lost mine. I really couldn't stand the idea of her having a girl. She found out a few weeks later that, yes, it was a girl. I went to her baby shower and it was absolute torture. The baby was born in December and I went and saw her last week. It was... okay. I declined to hold the baby. I listened to her joke about how she was going to be waiting outside the daycare to drop her almost 2 yr old son off the moment they opened.

Well, I'm irritable and defensive today, so I hope I didn't say anything offensive.

• Locked thread