Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Sounds like Home Premium will be more than adequate for the average user. Good job Microsoft for not making this a confusing fuckup of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Really liking how the taskbar being on the side of the screen no longer feels half-assed. New taskbar rules.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Roman posted:

Really liking how the taskbar being on the side of the screen no longer feels half-assed. New taskbar rules.

My only gripe is the positioning of the start menu. When you do it from the bottom-left, it feels natural where it sits, and doesn't overlap anything. When you do it from the side it does (from what I can remember). If that fixed itself, it'd all be sweet and I'd likely swap to a side taskbar once I get a bigger monitor than a 17" LCD :suicide:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It seems the first promotion to get Windows 7 Ultimate Edition is through Microsoft's Windows Feedback Program.

Anyone who signed up for the Windows 7 Beta Feedback Program is automatically able to sign up for the Windows 7 RC Feedback Program (even if you didn't actively participate in the Beta program). If you use the RC for at least four months and allow Microsoft to monitor your PC usage with their Windows Feedback software, you can get a the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD for free 3 months after the OS is released commercially.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems the first promotion to get Windows 7 Ultimate Edition is through Microsoft's Windows Feedback Program.

Anyone who signed up for the Windows 7 Beta Feedback Program is automatically able to sign up for the Windows 7 RC Feedback Program (even if you didn't actively participate in the Beta program). If you use the RC for at least four months and allow Microsoft to monitor your PC usage with their Windows Feedback software, you can get a the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD for free 3 months after the OS is released commercially.

Where are you getting this from? I'm looking at their website and can't find anything about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Where are you getting this from? I'm looking at their website and can't find anything about it.

Got it in my e-mail box a few days ago, actually. I'm not sure why it's not up on their site yet.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Found this in regards to the last few posts:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/16/windows-feedback-program-participants-can-get-windows-7-gift

Note that Windows Feedback Program is not the same as "ran the windows 7 beta and pressed the feedback button sometimes."

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
This may be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone managed to successfully get Ubuntu 9.04 running under virtual PC in Windows 7?

I can get it installed with the " vga=791 noreplace-paravirt " trick but once installed I can't get it to come up.

Edit: I just successfully got xubuntu running. I guess this will have to do. I know very little about linux and wanted something to play around with.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 19, 2009

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Treytor posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone managed to successfully get Ubuntu 9.04 running under virtual PC in Windows 7?

I got it running on my Dell e1405 laptop without any special settings. Win 7 x64 on a core 2 duo processor. I haven't tried yet on my desktop.

edit: poo poo I didn't read your post, I used virtual box.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2009

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Treytor posted:

I can get it installed with the " vga=791 noreplace-paravirt " trick but once installed I can't get it to come up.

Edit: I just successfully got xubuntu running. I guess this will have to do. I know very little about linux and wanted something to play around with.
Virtual PC isn't really intended for anything but Windows. You'd be better off using VMWare or VirtualBox or something like that if you want to virtualize Linux.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Strabo4 posted:

Sounds like Home Premium will be more than adequate for the average user. Good job Microsoft for not making this a confusing fuckup of features.

How is Windows 7 Home Premium different than Vista Home Premium?

It's Windows 7 Professional that is a step up compared to Vista Business. Vista Business was lacking features Vista Home Premium had. Windows 7 Professional is an actual upgrade to Home Premium.

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown
This is probably a dumb question regarding installation but oh well. When I try to shrink the C:\ drive to make the partition to dual boot 7, it only allows me to shrink it by the 1.6 GB. Defragging and empty space consolidation didn't do anything. I have over 100 GB free and something like 50GB of consolidated empty space. Anyone know what the issue is?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone know if Nvidia will ever allow the user to horizontal span monitors which is supposedly impossible from what they say even though ATI has no problem doing it in Vista?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Logostomp posted:

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.
Works fine for me. I only have Left 4 Dead installed right now, but it works fine.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Logostomp posted:

If you can wait a number of hours, I'll test it tonight when I get home and report back, as I have TF2/HL2/CS:S/etc installed and was getting the same bug in Vista.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

osigas posted:

Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering using Windows Live Messenger and Mail and my IM and email client on Win7?! The programs have been dead to me all through XP and Vista thanks to Miranda/Digsby and Thunderbird but they look so much sexier now, I think Windows 7 is actually making me feel like programs shouldn't just be functional and a bit drab a la Mozilla's offerings.
Live Mail is a great program. I've been curious about Messenger, but I have no reason whatsoever to actually try it, because I'm an American and don't know anybody who uses MSN or Yahoo!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Logostomp posted:

That was a Valve/Steam/Source issue. They (Valve) fixed a few weeks back I believe.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

wolrah posted:

Huh? Mine installed perfectly without any compatibility mode. The only problem I'm having with my G15 is the same one I had on Vista, LCDStudio won't launch on boot as there's some paranoia mode in x64 versions that prevents anything "needing" UAC from launching as a startup app and I can't find a workaround like a whitelist.

You can actually set it to launch via the task scheduler. I have process explorer running like that.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
So I used Windows 7 x86 for a while on my desktop before the RC, but since formatting and installing the 64-bit RC I've had nothing but problems. Has anyone else encountered these?

If I connect to my wireless router, the router no longer accepts wireless connections and generally stops all wireless functions until it is restarted. If I connect the computer to the router with the ethernet port, the entire computer freezes and occasionally blue screens with the 0x00000124 stop code. I really want to try out x64 but it seems to hate me =\

Edit: D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless Adapter and Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 19, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Logostomp posted:

TF2 is working fine for me. Lots of flashing to black screen and desktop in order to get in, but once in it runs fine.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Treytor posted:

I'll add a vote for the VMWare Server suggestion. It's free, and is working well for me under Win 7.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Regarding VirtualPC for Ubuntu:

Some suggestions in this recent thread may also be useful to you, not for specifically getting that running, but for alternative ways that others perform similar tasks.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

US loving only. Godfuckingdamnit, why do they do this? It's not as if the RC is officially limited to those locations only.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Just installed this on my laptop, everything is working fine, I'm really enjoying it. I do have one problem that hopefully someone can help me with--it's not recognizing my touchpad as a touchpad, but instead as a PS/2 mouse. It still works fine for the most part, except that I can't scroll in the pad like I used to be able to. For reference I'm on a Dell Inspiron 6400, 2 years old. Any clues/Drivers I should download? I upgraded from Vista Ultimate

Edit: Wasn't using my head tonight, I guess. Downloaded the driver from Dell and it works fine.

I do have a general question though. I have all this stuff in my Windows.old folder, but I don't think I want it in there. I got all the stuff I wanted to (music, documents, etc.), but there's a lot still in the Windows.old files. Is there any reason to keep that stuff around? It seems like it's just going to be eating up space on my hard drive.

Chemical Shift fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 19, 2009

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Chemical Shift posted:

Just installed this on my laptop, everything is working fine, I'm really enjoying it. I do have one problem that hopefully someone can help me with--it's not recognizing my touchpad as a touchpad, but instead as a PS/2 mouse. It still works fine for the most part, except that I can't scroll in the pad like I used to be able to. For reference I'm on a Dell Inspiron 6400, 2 years old. Any clues/Drivers I should download? I upgraded from Vista Ultimate

Edit: Wasn't using my head tonight, I guess. Downloaded the driver from Dell and it works fine.

I do have a general question though. I have all this stuff in my Windows.old folder, but I don't think I want it in there. I got all the stuff I wanted to (music, documents, etc.), but there's a lot still in the Windows.old files. Is there any reason to keep that stuff around? It seems like it's just going to be eating up space on my hard drive.

I'm pretty sure that's just a dump of all the old files on your system. If you're sure there's nothing else in there you need to salvage you can delete it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Xenomorph posted:

How is Windows 7 Home Premium different than Vista Home Premium?

It's Windows 7 Professional that is a step up compared to Vista Business. Vista Business was lacking features Vista Home Premium had. Windows 7 Professional is an actual upgrade to Home Premium.
I didn't notice this. So what the hell do you get with Ultimate? Texas Hold'em 2: Hold'em Harder?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

So is there a reliable way to trick Punkbuster to work?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
What's the PB problem ?

If it's getting kicked on some servers for 'windows something something' then try

quote:

Go to Start -> Run -> Services.msc and find PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB on each of them double click then go to log on then allow them both to interact with desktop then close services.

Then make sure hidden files are on and go to C:\Users\...\Appdata\Local\Punkbuster then right click each of the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB and change compatibility to Windows Vista and tick run as administrator on both.

Then for your Call of Duty or similar multiplayer shortcut change to the same as those above.

However, PnkBstrA/B are located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 , for BF2 at least.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

brc64 posted:

I didn't notice this. So what the hell do you get with Ultimate? Texas Hold'em 2: Hold'em Harder?

It's basically just e-penis rights for the software pirates. Or small business users that don't have a Volume License agreement.

Microsoft posted:

Ultimate gives users everything Windows 7 has to offer by combining all of the features of Home Premium and Enterprise (without a VL agreement).

Ability to use multiple languages

I still stick by my information that I am pulling directly from Microsoft's partner marketing - Home Premium will be marketed the most to consumers, followed by Ultimate. Hell they have an entire site dedicated to marketing information for Ultimate, there's no way they aren't trying to sell it. The only information I found to the contrary was for OEM system builders. They emphasize selling Home Premium or Professional dependent on what the customer needs.

This is pretty awesome:

Microsoft posted:

Customers of standard PCs (who might otherwise choose Mac) will choose Home Premium because…

queztal
Jan 19, 2009

Disgustipated posted:

Virtual PC isn't really intended for anything but Windows. You'd be better off using VMWare or VirtualBox or something like that if you want to virtualize Linux.

Has this just been the case since Microsoft got their hands on it? Worked fine for everything when it was owned by Connectix.

queztal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 19, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

brc64 posted:

I don't know if there is any reason to get Windows 7 Ultimate.

Vista Ultimate was at least Vista "Home Premium + Business".
Windows 7 Professional will be "Home Premium + Professional/Business", so why would most people need to bother with Win7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure *I* don't need it.

Hopefully we'll JUST see Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional on store shelves (just like XP Home and XP Pro). No Basic, No Ultimate, etc.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Xenomorph posted:

Windows 7 Professional will be "Home Premium + Professional/Business", so why would most people need to bother with Win7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure *I* don't need it.

Hopefully we'll JUST see Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional on store shelves (just like XP Home and XP Pro). No Basic, No Ultimate, etc.

That's fine with me. I went with Vista Business because I use the remote desktop feature daily (using my home PC while I'm at work), and though I didn't have a lot of use for Media Center, it still would have been nice to have. Sounds like they're doing it right with 7.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

LoKout posted:

I still stick by my information that I am pulling directly from Microsoft's partner marketing - Home Premium will be marketed the most to consumers, followed by Ultimate. Hell they have an entire site dedicated to marketing information for Ultimate, there's no way they aren't trying to sell it. The only information I found to the contrary was for OEM system builders. They emphasize selling Home Premium or Professional dependent on what the customer needs.

Then why does Microsoft itself say that Home Premium and Professional are the primary editions of 7?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/feb09/02-03Win7SKU-QA.mspx

quote:

With Windows 7 there will be two primary editions: Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows 7 Professional. We think those two SKUs will meet most customers’ needs.
and later

quote:

And certainly there is also a small set of customers who want everything Windows 7 has to offer. So we will continue to have Windows 7 Ultimate edition to meet that specialized need. Windows 7 Ultimate edition is designed for PC enthusiasts who “want it all” and customers who want the security features such as BitLocker found in Windows 7 Enterprise edition.

Paul Thurrott reported from a discussion with Microsoft senior vice president Bill Veghte:

quote:

For this version of the OS, Microsoft and its PC maker partners will market just two mainstream product editions, Windows 7 Home Premium--the recommended choice for consumers--and Windows 7 Professional, which is aimed at enthusiasts and IT professionals.
later in the article, on Windows 7 Ultimate specifically

quote:

Windows 7 Ultimate is kind of a wild-card. It will be available at retail and with new PCs, but Microsoft suggested that it will not be heavily marketed and will instead be "offer-based" via occasional promotions and offers from both PC makers and retailers.

"We're experimenting with the kinds of offers we can make for Windows 7 Ultimate," Veghte said. "It's going to be a low-single digit run rate (i.e. low market share) product. We expect retailers and OEMs to occasionally offer Ultimate with new PCs as part of special promotions. But in terms of run rate, it will be a tiny, tiny percentage of the volume. We will keep the marketing energy on Home Premium and Professional."

This stuff was reported around on the tech blogs a couple of months ago. Either Microsoft is lying or your source is lying/confused. I'm gonna go with the latter.

As for what's in Ultimate that's not in Pro:

quote:

Key features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs, boot from VHD
It really is Enterprise without the volume license. The only thing most people would care about is Bitlocker (and maybe the language packs).

Edit:\/\/\/\/\/ Its in one of the quotes in this post. I'll bold it to make it more obvious.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 19, 2009

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Sorry for not having a source but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Ultimate edition and some Retail bundles would only be available during promotional periods, otherwise it would just be the Home and Professional packages available.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

MisterSnrub posted:

I'm having some weird Permission issues with my Win7 install. Whenever I try to open Itunes, UAC comes up and asks if I want to let Itunes make changes to my computer. It does this every time. Also it complains about not being able to save the library file because it doesn't have the correct permissions, but I made sure that I am the owner of the my user profile and have Full Control.

Another thing I have issues with is deleting things. I have a folder on my Desktop of something I downloaded and when I try to delete it it states "You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder". I select continue it states "You require permission from [computername/myaccount] to makes changes to this folder". But I am [computername/myaccount]!

Does anyone know what is going on?

You need to run iTunes as administrator, not sure what's going on with the other issue. Have you tried manually taking ownership of the folder and checking its security permissions?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Logostomp posted:

This isn't actually a problem, though. Maybe if it had crashed while in-game it would be.

But as far as I can tell Steam games work fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenomorph posted:

Well if there's features in Windows 7 Enterprise that you need, and you aren't a company with an Enterprise volume agreement, thats when you'll get Ultimate.

7 Home Basic is being restricted to emerging markets, like 7 and Vista Starter are or will be.

taafis
Dec 1, 2008

keep it nappy or braided up dirty in the cockpit, blazin' up

deep square leg posted:

I'll add a vote for the VMWare Server suggestion. It's free, and is working well for me under Win 7.

how did you get networking to work properly in vmware server? when i choose Bridged as Network Adapter 1, i cant get neither internet nor network access in my guest os (windows xp sp3), when i choose NAT, i can ping stuff on the internet, but cant connect to sites with any web browser. any work-arounds you did?

edit: forgot to mention that host os is windows 7 build 7100 x64

edit2: gave up and went back to vista :effort:

taafis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

queztal posted:

Has this just been the case since Microsoft got their hands on it? Worked fine for everything when it was owned by Connectix.

It still works just fine. The only thing that's changed is that Linux isn't fully supported. You'll have to make your own profile, which most people using it probably will do anyways, and if you call them they give very basic info on it, none really useful at all really.