Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

kapinga posted:

As for what's in Ultimate that's not in Pro:
---
Key features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs, boot from VHD
BitLocker I don't care about, but I'm not familiar with some of the others. Direct Access? Branche Cache? Boot from VHD sounds sexy, but again, not terribly useful for my home environment. Okay, I'm cool with that. 7 Pro, here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

brc64 posted:

BitLocker I don't care about, but I'm not familiar with some of the others. Direct Access? Branche Cache? Boot from VHD sounds sexy, but again, not terribly useful for my home environment. Okay, I'm cool with that. 7 Pro, here I come!

Bitlocker to go sounds absolutely stunning.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I use the remote desktop feature daily (using my home PC while I'm at work), and though I didn't have a lot of use for Media Center, it still would have been nice to have.
Speaking of Remote Desktop, which parts are included on which versions? They say Professional includes Remote Desktop. I'm guessing it means it includes both the server and client, and that Home Premium will include the just client. Or do they mean home won't have either? Either way that means that home won't have "Remote Assistance"-- how will we fix our parents computers now?

If the home version doesn't even come with mstsc.exe that would suck for Professional users who need to access their work PC from home.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

CapnBry posted:

Speaking of Remote Desktop, which parts are included on which versions? They say Professional includes Remote Desktop. I'm guessing it means it includes both the server and client, and that Home Premium will include the just client. Or do they mean home won't have either? Either way that means that home won't have "Remote Assistance"-- how will we fix our parents computers now?

If the home version doesn't even come with mstsc.exe that would suck for Professional users who need to access their work PC from home.
The remote desktop client has been included with every version of Windows since XP Home, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And besides, it's freely available to download as well. I've never actually used Remote Assistance, but I can't believe they'd take that feature away, either.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Sounder posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a dump of all the old files on your system. If you're sure there's nothing else in there you need to salvage you can delete it.

Just a follow up question- is it safe to delete the old files in the Windows folder? I doubt the new windows is using the old files in any way, and it's using up way too much space on the harddrive to warrant keeping it. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the files in the Windows folder in the Windows.old folder.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Harking back to a older question about partitions: I have a 20gb primary partition and the rest of my 500gb drive is expanded into a larger data partition. I want to use gparted to decrease my ~400 some odd gb one by about 30gb then transfer that to my 20gb partition.

It seems easy enough to shave the smaller one down, but Im warry about how to combine that to my existing 20gb C:/ partition.

Since my D: partition has crap on it, im pretty sure it might royally gently caress it up if i take that data from the start point, but Im not sure if its wise to add it from the end of the larger partition.

If its a huge issue I could just back up my whole data partition and kill everything, but i'd rather not.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

How do I change the level of hardware acceleration in Win 7? There is no slider in dxdiag and the "Change settings" button in monitor settings -> Troubleshoot is grayed out. Is there another way or are my drivers somehow loving up? I am using newest Catalysts for Win 7 64.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

CapnBry posted:

It will be exactly the same as Vista and XP: Home has the client and remote assistance, Pro/Business has the server as well.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 18, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cukel posted:

How do I change the level of hardware acceleration in Win 7? There is no slider in dxdiag and the "Change settings" button in monitor settings -> Troubleshoot is grayed out. Is there another way or are my drivers somehow loving up? I am using newest Catalysts for Win 7 64.

That's exactly what happened to me when my card wasn't registering correctly in Vista. I don't know if it's the same bug, but I believe I solved it by doing a clean driver install.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cukel posted:

What reason do you have for lowering the hardware acceleration?

Doddery Meerkat
Aug 6, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ho mercy posted:

This is probably a dumb question regarding installation but oh well. When I try to shrink the C:\ drive to make the partition to dual boot 7, it only allows me to shrink it by the 1.6 GB. Defragging and empty space consolidation didn't do anything. I have over 100 GB free and something like 50GB of consolidated empty space. Anyone know what the issue is?

Are you using windows defragger? Windows can't move the system files at the end of the disk, that can only be done on boot up. What I did was use diskeeper pro (you can trial for 30 days) and ran the boot defragger. Also the passive mode slowly moves files to the front of the disk as well (make sure directory consolidation is checked in settings).

Finally I actually did the shrink with a linux MEPIS boot disk using qparted, I am not sure if that can do better than the windows shrink or not.

Make sure to backup if you go this route, there is a small chance of loving it up this way!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

big mean giraffe posted:

What reason do you have for lowering the hardware acceleration?

Diagnosis is the big one. I was trying to pin down why an old game wasn't working under 7 and I wanted to try lowering the hardware acceleration levels, but could not. Eventually I solved the problem of running the game via an unrelated change, but it stands to reason that it'd be nice to have the full use of previous debugging methods within a new OS when, as far as I am aware, there's no reason to break its use anyway.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ATI dropped the 9.5 drivers today. I used to have an Nvidia card, why do they make this so confusing? I get 4 choices in terms of downloads, which ones do I need? I run a 4890 card.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So clicking the start button crashes explorer.exe for me. Everything else in explorer works, I can right click on my desktop and do everything else normally with the taskbar and in an explorer window.

edit: I can even right click the start button, but attempting to open the start menu crashes explorer.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 19, 2009

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown

Doddery Meerkat posted:

Are you using windows defragger? Windows can't move the system files at the end of the disk, that can only be done on boot up. What I did was use diskeeper pro (you can trial for 30 days) and ran the boot defragger. Also the passive mode slowly moves files to the front of the disk as well (make sure directory consolidation is checked in settings).

Finally I actually did the shrink with a linux MEPIS boot disk using qparted, I am not sure if that can do better than the windows shrink or not.

Make sure to backup if you go this route, there is a small chance of loving it up this way!

Did that with a PerfectDisk trial, didn't seem to do anything. I'd really rather not spend $60 on another HD if possible. :smith:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

ATI dropped the 9.5 drivers today. I used to have an Nvidia card, why do they make this so confusing? I get 4 choices in terms of downloads, which ones do I need? I run a 4890 card.

Try reading the drat page. If you just want the drivers, click the one by 'display driver only.'

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Casao posted:

Bitlocker to go sounds absolutely stunning.
Yeah BLtG sounds most intersting to me as well. On the other hand, pre-7 OSs can't write the drive in any way, read only through a special on-drive app. I have my 512MB really old drive encrypted with all my really important files, bills, important email, scans of important docs, etc. In an emergency situation scans are better than nothing, and no paper to haul around.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 20, 2009

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i always have Outlook 2007 minimized when i don't use it. i usually double-click the Outlook notification icon to maximize it yet it seems that after a while, it stops maximizing. it's only after i re-open Outlook where it will maximize from the notification area. anybody else have this problem?

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Does anyone have an X-Fi card from Creative? I am having the hardest time getting the sound to work. If I uninstall the drivers for my X-Fi platinum and then restart the computer, the sound will work beautifully...until i restart again. Then the sound is filled with cracks, static and after a few seconds of playing something like a song or movie, it just stops working. This is really pissing me off beacuse I have this on my netbook and I couldn't be happier with it, and I want this to work on my gaming rig so badly!

If anyone cares...
AMD x2 3800
4 gigs ram
Abit AN8-U board

Yes it's 4 years old, but it hasn't failed me yet!

DFWlly
Aug 6, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I. LOVE. WIN7.

No crashes yet, wonderful performance. I actually saw an increase in FPS in TF2 and Vanguard.

Only issue I came across is my PCI wireless adapter had to be replaced due to 32-bit driver issues.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Turd Nelson posted:

Does anyone have an X-Fi card from Creative? I am having the hardest time getting the sound to work.

My audigy DE was cracking under the default drivers.

gently caress them off, and get Daniel_K's modified drivers. They're far better and work on Windows 7. They will work without fail.

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

big mean giraffe posted:

Try reading the drat page. If you just want the drivers, click the one by 'display driver only.'

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people. They still have the 5/5 set that was the recent WHQL 8.612 driver combined with the older Catalyst Control Center 9.4. The other set dated 5/15 is the same driver with CCC 9.5. Their web people have been having major brain farts lately and there's no reason for the 5/5 set to still be listed since the new set incorporates a newer control panel and is unified with Vista.

You should maybe try "reading the drat page" - and stop being a cock.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Should I do a backup of files or use the System Transfer tools to move from XP to Win7 RC?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Should I do a backup of files or use the System Transfer tools to move from XP to Win7 RC?

Personally, I do both. If you use outlook / outlook express then definitely use the transfer tools.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Priapist posted:

No, there are two separate packages listed there, which is confusing some people. They still have the 5/5 set that was the recent WHQL 8.612 driver combined with the older Catalyst Control Center 9.4. The other set dated 5/15 is the same driver with CCC 9.5. Their web people have been having major brain farts lately and there's no reason for the 5/5 set to still be listed since the new set incorporates a newer control panel and is unified with Vista.

Uh some people might want to have the older Catalyst Center for bug reasons. I really don't see what's so wrong about that page, other than the fact that you're too lazy to use PNG instead of JPG on a screenshot.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

kapinga posted:

Stuff...

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but my source is directly from Microsoft's partner marketing website. I realize they're trying to push Home Premium as the primary version for home users, which makes sense, but they aren't going to be offering Pro for home users at all. They expect them to go with either Premium or Ultimate. I don't care what the "blogs" say. Pro will be the suggested and highly marketed version for the corporate user.

This marketing campaign will be much more like the XP days, when they tried to push Home for consumers and Pro for corporations. That ended up not going over very well because Home was crippled pretty bad in a few places and people became comfortable with Pro. In this case, they didn't remove that many features from Premium.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Anyone know how to get Starcraft running under XP mode?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

fishmech posted:

Uh some people might want to have the older Catalyst Center for bug reasons. I really don't see what's so wrong about that page, other than the fact that you're too lazy to use PNG instead of JPG on a screenshot.

Thats the default snipping tool uses. So sorry for the improper image.

Priapist posted:

Thanks

oxy
May 14, 2008
I just installed Windows 7 and I've got a few questions:

I'm running this on a T400 laptop.

When I check my device manager, under the display section, it shows me my two cards that I have. The 3400 HD and the intel integrated card. The problem is that the 3400 HD has a ! beside it. How do I get the drivers for this?

On this note, can I switch video cards within the operating system like I was able to do with Vista?

Also, what antivirus/firewall do people recommend with this operating system that works?

edit: the error that im getting for the driver is this: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

oxy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 20, 2009

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

fishmech posted:

Uh some people might want to have the older Catalyst Center for bug reasons. I really don't see what's so wrong about that page

There's a separate archive for all older driver packages. ATI has never posted multiple drivers on one page before. It's an oversight on their part and it causes this very type of confusion.

fishmech posted:

other than the fact that you're too lazy to use PNG instead of JPG on a screenshot.

I didn't post the screenshot. I answered the question of the guy who did. Reading is good for you.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

oxy posted:

Also, what antivirus/firewall do people recommend with this operating system that works?

Antivirus: NOD32, AVG, Avira, Avast!
Firewall: Windows inbuilt one

That's how I roll.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
So here is where im at:

Click here for the full 1222x766 image.

I've got the free space to extend into but the extend option is grayed out? I tried using gparted, but it also won't allow me to expand C: into that unallocated space either.

Not really sure what I can do and I need that space. :/

On the plus side I have to say win 7 runs pretty great, aside from random scary moments that result in just seeing a blank black screen with a mouse cursor.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobb posted:

So here is where im at:

Click here for the full 1222x766 image.

I've got the free space to extend into but the extend option is grayed out? I tried using gparted, but it also won't allow me to expand C: into that unallocated space either.

Not really sure what I can do and I need that space. :/

On the plus side I have to say win 7 runs pretty great, aside from random scary moments that result in just seeing a blank black screen with a mouse cursor.
Hiren's Boot CD has a version of PartitionMagic that runs off CD in DOS which the CD will start your computer in: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Use that to resize your partitions.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
...well, I'm stumped. Still running Build 7077, and I can't get Netflix Instant Viewing to work in Internet Explorer. It says I'm running an incompatible OS, but it worked just fine in the original beta build. I tried both x86 and x64 versions of IE, and no go.

Anyone else run into this?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Cerri posted:

Anyone else run into this?

Tried running IE in compatibility mode of XP or Vista before installing the plugin (assuming it's a plugin)?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Don't ever hard reset while Windows is doing an automated recovery...

Now it BSODs and automated recovery can't fix it.

Fortunately I didn't lose any data - just need to reinstall...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

-Dethstryk- posted:

What do you mean? It's been solid for me in Windows 7, and hell, it's been solid on XP for years now. I have to use the thing every day.

Initial update after installing took 30 minutes, failed on three out of four updates. Try again without rebooting, remaining three updates install, but take about 20 minutes, 18 of which was downloading (what the gently caress just put it on the DVD?) one additional language (180mb @ 2.8mb/sec) and installing it, which also required a separate window to pop up for some silly reason.

Granted, it's not "You installed Vista and had crap luck and your first Windows Update managed to corrupt its cache; basically you will have to reinstall Vista in order to get WU to work. Love, the Microsoft technician who has been handling your support ticket regarding this problem and taking his sweet loving time replying over the past two months that it's been open" broken, but it's far from what I'd consider "working properly" in its current state.

Everything else about Windows 7 (aside from the naming of the "Windows.old" directory) is pretty sweet, although I'd like to be able to remove poo poo from the taskbar notifications list since it sort of sucks at noticing when things are duplicates and what not.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Everytime I've tried to restart after installing a program that required it the loading screen gets stuck before the windows logo merges onto the screen. Shutting off the computer and turning it back on usually fixes this though it often initiates the system repair program which is never able to do anything but suggest I use a restore point. After the failed system repair it boots fine though.

This isn't a real issue for me since I hardly ever restart, but definitely something that will need worked on.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Nam Taf posted:

Antivirus: NOD32, AVG, Avira, Avast!
Firewall: Windows inbuilt one

That's how I roll.

COMODO Internet Security (Firewall + Antivirus) also works. Just run the installer in compatibility mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

LoKout posted:

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but my source is directly from Microsoft's partner marketing website. I realize they're trying to push Home Premium as the primary version for home users, which makes sense, but they aren't going to be offering Pro for home users at all. They expect them to go with either Premium or Ultimate. I don't care what the "blogs" say. Pro will be the suggested and highly marketed version for the corporate user.

This marketing campaign will be much more like the XP days, when they tried to push Home for consumers and Pro for corporations. That ended up not going over very well because Home was crippled pretty bad in a few places and people became comfortable with Pro. In this case, they didn't remove that many features from Premium.

No, what happened was that people didn't like the fact that they had to buy a new OS just to get their home PC to connect to their corporate network. That's why Upgrade Anytime was created. The only problem with the Vista implementation was that if they were running Home Premium upgrading to Professional made them lose home features, so the only logical upgrade was Ultimate, which most people balked at, and as I mentioned in the previous thread most didn't' get the concept of just paying all that money for a new key.

Pro has always just been marketed for the corporate user. the only difference this time is that they figure enthusiasts will want Ultimate over Pro and those two are what their marketing campaign will promote. They can't completely eliminate Pro from the consumer marketplace as there will always be users who use their home PC to connect to their work's environment. It will be highly doubtful that you'll see all three SKUs sold everywhere, but I'm pretty sure Best Buy, Microcenter and so forth will have copies of Pro available for systems if people want it.