Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Windows 10 is forcing me to change to Outlook from their previous email application, Windows Mail and Calendar. Something is wrong in the outgoing/incoming server settings they put into Outlook, and I can't send email. I can not find a single way to change my server settings. I went to settings -> accounts -> manage, but I can only read the server settings, I can't edit them. Every single video and document I get from searching says to click on the "file" tab, next to Home, View, Help. But there is no file tab anywhere. How do I edit that information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If this is proper Outlook, you manage accounts from a control panel page (called "mail" or something like it, IIRC), not from inside the program.

If it's "New Outlook", who knows, it's a badly packaged Web app.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Computer viking posted:

If this is proper Outlook, you manage accounts from a control panel page (called "mail" or something like it, IIRC), not from inside the program.

If it's "New Outlook", who knows, it's a badly packaged Web app.

Yeah, I saw a video that said to open control panel and search for mail. Nothing comes up. I don't know why changing these essential settings needs to be convoluted and hidden.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess you can run "outlook.exe /profiles" from the Run dialog (Win+R), but it's odd that it's missing from your control panel.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Node posted:

Windows 10 is forcing me to change to Outlook from their previous email application, Windows Mail and Calendar. Something is wrong in the outgoing/incoming server settings they put into Outlook, and I can't send email. I can not find a single way to change my server settings. I went to settings -> accounts -> manage, but I can only read the server settings, I can't edit them. Every single video and document I get from searching says to click on the "file" tab, next to Home, View, Help. But there is no file tab anywhere. How do I edit that information?

I couldn't figure it out either so just ended up adding a new account and setting it up from there

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It's not Outlook. It's "Outlook (New)" which is a terrible little app that's taken over for "Mail." It's to be avoided like the plague.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tapedump posted:

It's not Outlook. It's "Outlook (New)" which is a terrible little app that's taken over for "Mail." It's to be avoided like the plague.

Windows keeps launching it instead of mail and telling me that its replacing mail in this year, so it doesn't look like I'm being given a choice.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, Legacy Gaming mode is not the solution, turning that on makes the game even more laggy and massively increases loading times. I guess it's only meant for DRM issues that think e-cores are from another computer.

Guess I'll try Process Explorer next and if not then I'll relent and install Process Lasso then.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So what's the game?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

teethgrinder posted:

So what's the game?

STRANGER OF PARADISE: Final Fantasy Origins. Seems to be a Koei Temco/Team Ninja PC port in general, I remember trying the demo for Wo Long and having the same issue.

Also tried Process Explorer and locking out CPUs caused variable performance issues. The biggest issue was it did not label de CPU cores so while I could assume the E-cores were the last 4 (since I know each P-core counts as 2 CPUs) turning them off just made things run worse.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anyone else having ScreenConnect issues? Since midday yesterday my roster shows up but no guests are connected, cannot Update Guest Info, etc.

Their status page doesn't reference a ScreenConnect issue.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a way in Windows to apply a right-click action (in my case, Add to "foldername.rar") to EVERY folder contained within search results? I gotta compress hundreds of subfolders to .rar, but I don't want them in a single .rar. Need to preserve the folder structure.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

WinRAR does this, or at least it used to (haven't used WinRAR for years)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Not quite what I meant, lemme rephrase.

I have ~200 folders (and these are subfolders within various project folders) named "Elements", each containing thousands of files. When I search "Elements" in the top level folder, it shows me all of these.

I want to compress each "Elements" folder to its own individual RAR file, contained within the same parent folder the prior folder was, so I can then delete all of the Elements folders.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

smoobles posted:

Not quite what I meant, lemme rephrase.

I have ~200 folders (and these are subfolders within various project folders) named "Elements", each containing thousands of files. When I search "Elements" in the top level folder, it shows me all of these.

I want to compress each "Elements" folder to its own individual RAR file, contained within the same parent folder the prior folder was, so I can then delete all of the Elements folders.

The easiest way to do this would be a basic script of some type.

Are all the "Elements" folders in relatively the same place, like they're subfolders of projects but all the projects are in one main folder (or maybe a separate drive)?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Klyith posted:

The easiest way to do this would be a basic script of some type.

Are all the "Elements" folders in relatively the same place, like they're subfolders of projects but all the projects are in one main folder (or maybe a separate drive)?

Yeah the folder structure between all 200 project folders is identical.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

smoobles posted:

Yeah the folder structure between all 200 project folders is identical.

But are all the projects are in one top-level folder, "Projects" or "Work" or something?
eg
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\doodads\Elements\
etc

And you want to end up with:
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements.rar

Does the Elements.rar file want to just have the files in it, or preserve the "Elements\" folder, or does it not matter?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 17, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I'm trying to make a shitton of labels for a work project, and I'm having a weird issue with Mail Merge in Word.

I set up the label template just fine (ie - told it I'm using Avery 5163 labels) and it formatted the document to the right sizes.

I started a mail merge, and selected an excel sheet with the data I need to pull from. This spreadsheet is formatted with a row for each entry, and a column with the info I need.

I select that excel file, and tell it which tab to look at.

I click "insert merge field", and the fields I want are listed.

I select the field I want (eg, "name"), and the data block appears in the Word doc as expected (eg, "<<Name>>").

However, when I click "previews results", the field is blank, as if the cell it's pulling from in excel was empty.

The super weirdo thing is that I did this same task successfully earlier today, working from different tab on the same spreadsheet.

The tabs are formatted in the same way and contain analogous data, just for different groups of people.

I even went back and recreated the labels from the first batch and it worked fine. There's clearly some issue with the 2nd excel spreadsheet tab, but I have no idea what it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you export it to a CSV does it look right or is there a load of poo poo formatting characters in there?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Klyith posted:

But are all the projects are in one top-level folder, "Projects" or "Work" or something?
eg
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\doodads\Elements\
etc

And you want to end up with:
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements.rar

Does the Elements.rar file want to just have the files in it, or preserve the "Elements\" folder, or does it not matter?

It's more like

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements\

And I want

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements.rar
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements.rar

The Elements folders are simply a huge number of files, no subfolders in them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thanks Ants posted:

If you export it to a CSV does it look right or is there a load of poo poo formatting characters in there?

Looks like that worked. Not sure why, but it did.

Now I have the issue that my printer sucks and is printing the labels misaligned, causing words to clip outside the peelable area of the labels :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

smoobles posted:

It's more like

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements\

And I want

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements.rar
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements.rar

The Elements folders are simply a huge number of files, no subfolders in them.

Ok, try this out. Paste this into notepad and save it as a .bat file in the top-level Projects folder, then run it.

It won't actually do anything yet, only print out the commands to make sure I'm finding the Elements folders correctly and general sanity check.

code:
@echo off
set path="C:\Program Files\WinRAR\";%path%
FOR /D /r %%P IN ("Elements*") DO (
	echo rar a -r "%%~dpPElements.rar" "%%~dpPElements\*.*"
	)
pause
If that works, you can remove the echo on line 4. Then run it again to do the raring. This won't delete the folders, I figure that's easy enough to do with explorer find.

Also if you installed winrar somewhere besides C:\Program Files\WinRAR\ you'll need to change that in line 2.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I went with

code:
@ECHO OFF
SET WINRAR="C:\Program Files\WinRAR"
SET PROJECTS="C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects"
SET FOLDER=Elements

for /D %%f in ("%PROJECTS%\*") do (
        %WINRAR%\RAR.exe a -dr "%%f\%FOLDER%.rar" "%%f\%FOLDER%\"
    )

PAUSE
It doesn't depend on where it's run from. Also it should compress the actual elements folder instead of just the contents in it, imo. Other than that, pretty much the same thing.

e: also should the elements folder contain an elements folder, what weirdness would you get doing the recursive for

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is there a simple way to take a screenshot of a window and save it to a specified path, from the command line?

Context: I've been playing some games recently that benefit from extensive note taking and want to automate the process, so that I can hit a single key to take a screenshot and file it in an appropriate place based on the game and the current location in my notes file. I'm using Emacs org-mode (running in WSL2 on Win11), so I want the process to be driven by that rather than using something like AutoHotKey, which won't have the context of my current note.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bit of a crosspost here from the flight sim thread in games.

I installed an app for flight sims, Little Nav Map. It's a legit app that is integrated with flight sims for navigation.

When I go to create a directory tree structure for saves, I get an error in security centre that windows blocked it from creating them.

I cannot for the life of my find anything as to why it's getting blocked, I've tried running it in admin and it still does it. It's just trying to create it in my documents folder, in the same directory as tons of other games and apps that I've never had issues with installing before.

IE: C:/users/slidebite/documents/Little Nav Map

Is there something super simple that I'm missing here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

slidebite posted:

Bit of a crosspost here from the flight sim thread in games.

I installed an app for flight sims, Little Nav Map. It's a legit app that is integrated with flight sims for navigation.

When I go to create a directory tree structure for saves, I get an error in security centre that windows blocked it from creating them.

I cannot for the life of my find anything as to why it's getting blocked, I've tried running it in admin and it still does it. It's just trying to create it in my documents folder, in the same directory as tons of other games and apps that I've never had issues with installing before.

IE: C:/users/slidebite/documents/Little Nav Map

Is there something super simple that I'm missing here?

You have to allow that app in controlled folder access settings for defender. It's under "virus and threat protection" or Start search for ransomware protection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And indeed that did it. Thanks a ton!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thoom posted:

Is there a simple way to take a screenshot of a window and save it to a specified path, from the command line?

Context: I've been playing some games recently that benefit from extensive note taking and want to automate the process, so that I can hit a single key to take a screenshot and file it in an appropriate place based on the game and the current location in my notes file. I'm using Emacs org-mode (running in WSL2 on Win11), so I want the process to be driven by that rather than using something like AutoHotKey, which won't have the context of my current note.

You might be able to do something like this with ShareX, which I love for general screenshot use.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

VelociBacon posted:

You might be able to do something like this with ShareX, which I love for general screenshot use.

Perfect, thanks! I was able to make a workflow with most of the behavior I wanted and then invoke it from the command line with "./ShareX.exe -p -workflow GameNotes".

I think it might also replace Greenshot for general screenshot usage. Both have their foibles, but I think ShareX's automation tools win out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anytime I RDP into my Windows 11 machines I get this alert (doesn't happen on my Windows 10 machines). I see I can turn off Windows Defender Credential Guard, but is it possible to just add exceptions for my two Win11 machines?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Wait, what app are you using? There are two different programs built into Windows 11 that allow for accessing a desktop remotely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

god please help me posted:

Wait, what app are you using? There are two different programs built into Windows 11 that allow for accessing a desktop remotely.

Remote Desktop

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is by design - saved credentials being submitted to a compromised RDP host would result in credential theft, so you can’t authenticate that way with CredGuard turned on.

If the machines are on a domain you can enable SSO so that your current Kerberos session is used to authenticate.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arc browser is out https://arc.net/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm struggling to see the point of any new chromium-based browsers. do we really need more?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ever since Firefox opened up its Android add-on support to everything (instead of just a tiny curated selection), I can't imagine using another browser that doesn't match that feature, since I like to use the same browser on every platform for bookmark/history sync.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Arc's stance on the Manifest V3 stuff is "we are doing V3 only but will build in our own adblock" so you won't have Ublock. Whenever google gets around to actually doing that poo poo. The built-in stuff that Brave and Vivaldi have is ok, but no comparison to the real thing.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm struggling to see the point of any new chromium-based browsers. do we really need more?

No, but people have no idea that everyone is just wrapping chromium and I'm still putting a lot of chips on this entire market going to poo poo post Manifest V3.

Basically, I think over the next 10 years 'Firefox' might get a chance to rename itself to 'Phoenix', unless Mozilla completely fumbles this opportunity (which they probably will).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am also on the anti-Chromium bandwagon as I don't want it to become the Trident engine of the 2020s where sites are written for it rather than to standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Too late. :(

I’ve switched back to FF entirely though on Mac/Linux/Windows and it’s been good.