Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I'm looking for multiple desktop freeware for Windows 7. I'd like hotkeys to be able to not only switch between desktops, but also send windows to next desktop. Strongly prefer hotkeys to mouse controls. Like, if I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, and it switches desktops, that I would disable immediately. Nothing super fancy, no Mac-style Expose, just 2-4 virtual desktops with no added crap.

This is all doable with default bbZero (a fork of bblean, which is a port/fork of blackbox), but it's a shell replacement which is more than you probably want. It also requires editing config files to get it working exactly how you want it.

By default the workspace (virtual desktop) bindings are

pre:
Workspaces:
Win + Num1..6:              Workspace1..6
Win + Left:                 PrevWorkspace
Win + Right:                NextWorkspace
Win + Ctrl + Left:          PrevWindow
Win + Ctrl + Right:         NextWindow
Win + Ctrl + Up:            PrevWindowAllWorkspaces
Win + Ctrl + Down:          NextWindowAllWorkspaces
Win + Up:                   MoveWindowLeft
Win + Down:                 MoveWindowRight
Win + G:                    GatherWindows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I'm looking for multiple desktop freeware for Windows 7. I'd like hotkeys to be able to not only switch between desktops, but also send windows to next desktop. Strongly prefer hotkeys to mouse controls. Like, if I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, and it switches desktops, that I would disable immediately. Nothing super fancy, no Mac-style Expose, just 2-4 virtual desktops with no added crap.

Back when I did the virtual desktop thing, always found this the best for windows http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Stardock has a virtual desktop application iirc, though it was :10bux: or something.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Be mindful though that you'd be giving money directly to a human shitstain.

reL
May 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Be mindful though that you'd be giving money directly to a human shitstain.

Stardock?

Well, since I've already given them money... Care to elaborate?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

reL posted:

Stardock?

Well, since I've already given them money... Care to elaborate?

I believe it's about the CEO and sexual harassment or something, but I can't honestly remember all the details. That said, most companies have some seedy assholes in them. You buy gas, but nobody's saying BP or Exxon are exactly saints.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 28, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HalloKitty posted:

I believe it's about the CEO and sexual harassment or something, but I can't honestly remember all the details. That said, most companies have some seedy assholes in them. You buy gas, but nobody's saying BP or Exxon are exactly saints.

Someone in sales or marketing filed a sexual harassment charge. It was later dropped. This stuff happens all the time, and does not automatically mean the accused is guilty of a crime. Unless you have non-public knowledge of the incident, or know the individuals involved personally, I wouldn't cite a dropped charge as my reason for recommending or not recommending a software product.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There's way more to his behaviour than that, if you care to do a bit of reading on the original controversy. It became quite apparent that he was an awful human being.

You can't really drive without petrol, but not giving stardock money is pretty easy and a choice I made a long time ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly, at this point you should switch to Windows 10, it's not something Windows 7 does very well.

No thank you.

John Capslocke posted:

Back when I did the virtual desktop thing, always found this the best for windows http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

Thank you!

Read posted:

This is all doable with default bbZero (a fork of bblean, which is a port/fork of blackbox), but it's a shell replacement which is more than you probably want. It also requires editing config files to get it working exactly how you want it.

By default the workspace (virtual desktop) bindings are

pre:
Workspaces:
Win + Num1..6:              Workspace1..6
Win + Left:                 PrevWorkspace
Win + Right:                NextWorkspace
Win + Ctrl + Left:          PrevWindow
Win + Ctrl + Right:         NextWindow
Win + Ctrl + Up:            PrevWindowAllWorkspaces
Win + Ctrl + Down:          NextWindowAllWorkspaces
Win + Up:                   MoveWindowLeft
Win + Down:                 MoveWindowRight
Win + G:                    GatherWindows

Yeah, this is what I run on my home machine at the moment. This is for a work machine I'm not able to change the shell for.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The Lord Bude posted:

There's way more to his behaviour than that, if you care to do a bit of reading on the original controversy. It became quite apparent that he was an awful human being.

You can't really drive without petrol, but not giving stardock money is pretty easy and a choice I made a long time ago.

That thread got pretty funny when the beekeeping stuff came up. I wish I had a link.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I'm looking for a small desktop app that shows a clock, something that i can just leave run on a second screen. Doesn't need to be anything fancy or feature laden, as long as it shows the time. Toggling 'Always on top' is about the only option i can see wanting for this. Holy poo poo all i am finding is hot garbage from the MS store. Full screen apps, live tiles, apps that look good but scale laughably. Big rear end windows that have backgrounds and their own wall paper, that again dont scale for poo poo.

Is my best bet just to re-enable gadgets and go that way?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you considered an actual clock

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I'm looking for a small desktop app that shows a clock, something that i can just leave run on a second screen. Doesn't need to be anything fancy or feature laden, as long as it shows the time. Toggling 'Always on top' is about the only option i can see wanting for this. Holy poo poo all i am finding is hot garbage from the MS store. Full screen apps, live tiles, apps that look good but scale laughably. Big rear end windows that have backgrounds and their own wall paper, that again dont scale for poo poo.

Is my best bet just to re-enable gadgets and go that way?

Can you be a bit more specific? Like is this what you want:

You keep saying things don't scale properly? Does it need to be a specific size?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I do have physical clocks around, but they don't do much when the lights are low for watching something or playing games. As far as the few i checked out, the Microsoft Store, that I kept getting directed to, was full of either clocks intended to run in a start menu tile, or apps that looked like maybe an 800x600 window with a clock in the center and some background image(which when i tried to resize the window it would break the clock in goofy ways, or just not resize)
For example, this one looked cool, its a little Nixie tube clock and sure, it looks pretty neat full screen. When trying to resize i got it to about 1/3 of the horizontal screen and a little shorter than full screen top to bottom. Seems pretty ridiculous to use a 1/3rd of an already small screen for that

I have my primary monitor centered above my desk, as its the primary it has the taskbar w the clock. I have a smaller 2nd monitor(1024x768) off to the side that I usually have MIRC or mumble or whatever running. On this 2nd, i just want something unobtrusive that shows the time and doesnt look like a big dumb window sitting on top of other programs.

Went with the plain ol windows gadget based clock, looks like it's probably the same one from Vista/7. My needs have been suited

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Rainmeter + Windows Gadgets pack = Highly customizable gadgets without the security issues that got gadgets yanked in the first place

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20699

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I have my primary monitor centered above my desk, as its the primary it has the taskbar w the clock. I have a smaller 2nd monitor(1024x768) off to the side that I usually have MIRC or mumble or whatever running. On this 2nd, i just want something unobtrusive that shows the time and doesnt look like a big dumb window sitting on top of other programs.
You could always just have the taskbar display on both screens - the secondary won't have the notifications/systray but it retains the clock.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is there any way to pin folders and files inside Windows Explorer? I don't mean to pin them to the jumplist or Quick Access. I mean some way to right click and "pin in folder" so whatever name you give them they'll always be at the top. At the moment I'm relying on adding numbers and poo poo to the front like a barbarian.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Is there any way to pin folders and files inside Windows Explorer? I don't mean to pin them to the jumplist or Quick Access. I mean some way to right click and "pin in folder" so whatever name you give them they'll always be at the top. At the moment I'm relying on adding numbers and poo poo to the front like a barbarian.

You can do that in xyplorer, a windows explorer replacement, but it's paid software. If you want to go with it, just set a label on the files you want and sort by labels or select them all and sort by selected items to top. There are probably other ways to do it too, xyplorer has a shitload of features.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Read posted:

You can do that in xyplorer, a windows explorer replacement, but it's paid software. If you want to go with it, just set a label on the files you want and sort by labels or select them all and sort by selected items to top. There are probably other ways to do it too, xyplorer has a shitload of features.

XYplorer very kindly has a free version. Another way to accomplish the OP is to select the files you want to stick on top, and go to View > Sort By > Selected items on top.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
3rding xyplorer. It's my favourite explorer replacement. Directory opus can probably do this as well, but it costs fairly serious money.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there a thread to talk about the surface studio and the dial? can't find anything in shsc or iyg.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Speaking of directory opus... https://www.humblebundle.com/lifehacker-software-bundle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bleh got that because I was just about to buy LastPass Premium so I figured it was a no brainer. Missed the "New customers only" bit. =/

Oh well, maybe the link will work for one of you guys who wants it -

Click here to give it a whirl

Please say "I got this" if it worked for you so others don't try.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this insanely large media display that shows up when I change my volume?

Looks like it's a relatively new thing: I googled around and couldn't find any information.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It was introduced with Windows 8. But I suppose the program you're using needs to have support for it and maybe that's how it could be new to you. If you don't want it, I suppose you want a different media player or an older version of your current one maybe.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the XYPlorer suggestion guys. Bit disappointed there's no way to do that in normal Explorer though. Come on Microsoft, up your game!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

bvoid posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this insanely large media display that shows up when I change my volume?

Looks like it's a relatively new thing: I googled around and couldn't find any information.

Are you using Spotify? That started coming up for myself as well with a recent update, and after looking it up everyone's bitching about it right now because there's no option to turn it off.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Medullah posted:

Bleh got that because I was just about to buy LastPass Premium so I figured it was a no brainer. Missed the "New customers only" bit. =/

Oh well, maybe the link will work for one of you guys who wants it -

Click here to give it a whirl

Please say "I got this" if it worked for you so others don't try.
Though they just announced a freemium model so it's not as much of a big thing to have anymore since you can now use lastpass mobile on any account. You just get ads when you open lastpass if you're not a premium member.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Can anyone recommended software to monitor or track packet loss to multiple different domains at the same time? Using the command prompt gets kind of clunky.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Can anyone recommend some software which will show me how much bandwidth each program/process is currently using?

My media server has multiple programs which use large bandwidth (NZB/Torrent/Plex etc...) and it would be handy to see which one is currently sucking up the bandwidth without having to load the user interface for each one in turn.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Slash posted:

Can anyone recommend some software which will show me how much bandwidth each program/process is currently using?

My media server has multiple programs which use large bandwidth (NZB/Torrent/Plex etc...) and it would be handy to see which one is currently sucking up the bandwidth without having to load the user interface for each one in turn.
Task manager has a column for that, with a very basic indicative value. Windows also has a more detailed resource monitor built in that shows B/sec up and down per process.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Slash posted:

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

I've been using this for years, and it has a number of features you might like/find useful. You can do a 30 day trial, all features are usable.

Can stopwatch/count totals for up/down
Display current bandwith usage
Can meter usage & warn you/do things if you get close to a usage threshold
Can dump stats to database file/Excel spreadsheet
Can split traffic monitoring by LAN or Internet
Can monitor usage on a per process level, either simple display or full sperg details:

If a particular process is not listed in the simple display, it's not currently generating any traffic.

:grovertoot:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Get Process Explorer and turn on whatever Network IO columns you want.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well heck, I've been wanting something like this for some time, just not enough to go git it. Thanks!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Factor Mystic posted:

Get Process Explorer and turn on whatever Network IO columns you want.
I don't see any columns for network I/O in Process Explorer.

Edit: Looks like you have to run it as administrator before the option will show up.

Lork fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 4, 2016

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there some reliable way to find out every single file that's using space on a drive in Windows? There's a difference showing in the total size of the files and folders that something like WizTree sees and the "used space" in the disk properties. I can't account for the full difference even with all of the hidden files that WizTree finds. This seems to be happening on all of my drives.

I've tried using WinDirStat, TreeSize, and WizTree, and WizTree seems to be the one that actually shows the majority of the hidden files and folders, but even that has some discrepancies in the total size used on the drive and the amount when you add up the various files and folders individually (still within WizTree). Hidden things like the $MFT and $LogFile files that WizTree actually shows can account for some of the size difference between the files shown normally in Windows (including hidden/system) and the disk properties, but there are still "items" and space missing according to the counts in WizTree (39.6 MB and 6 "items" on one drive, 2.8 GB and 16 "items" on another, etc.). My main system drive is slightly different, where the "used space" amount is actually lower than the total of all of the files WizTree finds (4.9 GB less). I'm just trying to figure out what isn't showing and what's taking up the remaining space.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's going to be things like WinSxs and hard links or whatever they're called.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Also, there's not even a reason to assume that of all measurements you're taking, the one in disk properties is the technically accurate one.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Okay, so should I just assume there's nothing malicious in there or nothing to worry about and let it be? I didn't notice any real problems with my system, I was just checking folder sizes and disk usage and then fell down this rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm sure this has been posted in a different thread but my searching is not so good. I'm looking at sucking it up and paying for a Dropbox, Google Drive or Onedrive account. I've been spreading my stuff over the free versions I've got, but I'm at a point now where I need a significant amount of cloud storage readily available and fluctuating frequently (so Carbonite is out). Probably between 100-200gb.

Anyone have any recommendations for best deal out there of the three? Familiar with all of them so it's just a matter of picking the best deal.