Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I'm going to be upgrading the family computer and so will need to reinstall outlook. Do I need to backup any other file aside from the pst file?

I believe account settings will need to be set manually but that's not a problem. Just want to be sure I have all the e-mails and contacts.

Thanks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Does anyone have a suggestion for converting video from a digital camera to the dvd format so I can burn them to disc?

A friend of mine asked for help converting video from cassettes to dvd so they don't need the camera to play them on the tv. I don't know the type of camera at the moment. From what I found by searching, the copying of the files from the camera should be easy enough. But I read that in order for it to be playable on dvd-players the video needs to be converted first. And that the type of dvd disc can matter as well.

I haven't tried the programs I've found yet as I don't have the data yet, but what I found is "dvdflick" but I'm not sure that will work on Windows 10. And also dvdstyler although that seems to come with a warning of having adware during installation.

Interested to hear of others experience with, preferable free software for this task.

Thanks!

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Will have a look thanks.

Weedle posted:

dvdstyler is good, just grab it from fosshub to avoid the adware

https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html

Ah good to know, thanks!

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I was wondering the following.

When I'd have the need for a Windows 11 install usb stick, I know it is possible with Rufus to make an install that has local account and some other options.

Is there a way or tool, to have the same result (an installable version of windows 11 with local account) but have the output be an .iso instead?

I don't have an immediate need for this but the reason I'm wondering is that currently I use a USB stick formatted with the tool ventoy and I have multiple OS installation iso files on just one bootable stick. So would be nice if I could just add a prepared Windows 11 iso to that instead of having to "lose" a usb stick to a single use case.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Klyith posted:

Yes, with DISM you can mount & make edits to a windows installer file. This is how you can for example add drivers to an installer. So the process would be like: extract and mount the installer image, make the same edits that rufus does, commit the image, and re-create an iso with that.

I've done the drivers thing, it's a medium PITA. And MS updates the installer every time a major version is released, It's a good idea to keep your installer stick up to date, so you kinda need to keep doing it over and over. So the question I'd ask is, how often do you actually need to install Win11? Because having a windows boot stick is useful for troubleshooting purposes, but AFAIK you don't need the jailbroken one just to do a repair or whatnot.

edit: oh, easier method: rufus can write to a VHD, then you can turn that VHD into an ISO. Dunno how well that will work, but I'd guess at worst you might need to fiddle with options to get something that ventoy will boot?

Thanks for all the good info and explanation.

Good to know the possibilities. I think the question of how often you need such an installer usb stick is a good one to consider. For now the answer is I don't need it as I'm sticking with Win 10 but wanted to explore the options and now I know :)

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

MikusR posted:

Ventoy seems to support boot from .vhd.

Oh that is good to know, thanks.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
This may have been discussed already but I did an update of Edge a week or so ago because I need to use that brower for a specific volunteer work web application sometimes.

And after updating Microsoft decided it was ok to put this searchbar in the middle of my desktop.. this is on Windows 10. You can disable it but ugh.

https://imgur.com/a/hzyMgDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to make a program always open on a specific screen?
There's a program I use a lot and it always opens on my main screen but I always want it on my second screen.

I use DisplayFusion for that. It is paid software though.

It allows you to set it up so that when an executable is launched it moves it to the wanted screen.

There may be better solutions though.