Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I installed a dual boot so I can keep my old install of Vista 64, but I only see myself going back when I absolutely need to. Windows 7 is an enjoyable experience and pretty smooth overall.

Had to find a workaround to install my webcam software (Logitech CD wouldn't install because it's not a supported OS)

Everything just kind of works, even my second monitor didn't need me to install my drivers, it set it up automatically and worked really well. UAC isn't such a gigantic pain in the rear end anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

kapinga posted:

No, the RTM (that is 7600) leaked will be the same bits you buy in a store starting in October. You get the 30 day trial period, which can be rearmed 3 times giving 120 days (or 4 months) to run it without a key. Since 7 will go on sale within that time, you should be able to enter your key in then. Most of the 7200 builds that were leaked should work with the RC keys.

The real question is if the upgrade key everyone has bought will work in such an install. If upgrades only work from activated Windows installs, what will it do when you didn't enter the key in until months after upgrading?

This was my plan, and I've already installed RTM without a key, but I didn't realize I installed Professional, but I only pre-ordered the 50$ version. I'm going to have to reformat in order to downgrade, wont I?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

redeyes posted:

Yep reformat. You loaded Windows 7 RC Ultimate not Pro btw.

Gaahh, I meant Ultimate. That's a pain in the rear end, I wanted to do it now so I wouldn't have to in October. Does 7 Ultimate not have all the versions on the disc like Vista Ultimate had, or did I screw up while installing and miss the chance to install a different version?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Did anybody get an e-mail from Microsoft about getting a free copy of Windows 7?

I'm pretty sure I was in the actual Beta, but I never submitted any bug reports.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/07/windows-7-testers-to-get-a-free-copy-after-all.ars

I probably wasn't a member of the 'technical' beta so I wont get a free copy, but heres to hoping!

e: Just checked Microsoft Connect, I'm only a member of the tech beta for Office 10, drat.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

brc64 posted:

So what was the technical beta? Some invite-only thing? Bummer.

Yeah tech beta was invite only, probably to technet people and MSDNA people or something.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'm running the x64 7100 build right now and it's been giving me some weird performance issues that I never had in XP. Basically, most games that run at <80 fps play like they're running about 15 frames behind my mouse and keyboard, so if I open up a menu in game and drag it around the screen it trails the mouse by about half a second. I'm running an nvidia 8800 GT with an E8400 cpu, so there's really no reason for games like Civ IV to be giving me this problem.

Fiddling around with settings on my video card didn't give me any results, so I'm going to try upgrading to a newer build since that seems to be the most common solution to odd problems like this. I know I'll need to do a clean format when my upgrade edition of 7 home arrives in October, but for now is there any reason I shouldn't just upgrade to the RTM insteal of 72xx?

I didn't have any performance issues with 7100. I just upgraded to the RTM, but be careful to edit the ISO so that you can install whatever version of 7 that you purchased. I didn't do that, and I'm going to have to reformat again in October.

Don't bother upgrading to 7200, just do the RTM.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Virtual PC is available on Professional and up.

I tried running this earlier and it said my system didn't have hardware virtualization enabled while it (should) have it. I just ended up running Sun VirtualBox and it's working well enough.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

Hardware Virtualization

This processor does offer advanced hardware support for hardware virtualization!

Yeah that doesn't make sense. I'll try to figure out why the program doesn't work later, it's probably disabled in the bios or something.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_feature_focus_%E2%80%93_backup_and_restore

This was posted today and explains how to do it in a step by step guide.

I was pretty excited about this until I saw that it requires that I have 460 gb for my image. My Windows 7 partition is only 100gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

kapinga posted:

Where does it say that? He uses a 460 GB drive, but its not the minimum required. What he does say, though, is on the last page:

There is no point in making a backup if you don't have some other drive to store it on. If you want backups and don't even have 200GB free on some other drive, it's time to buy a new drive.

No, it is asking me for 460 gigs free. I have a terabyte hard drive to back up things on, but I don't want to use half of it to back this up.

I think it's trying to create an image of Windows 7 partition AND vista partition (460 gigs) I'll try playing around with it later.

e:

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 5, 2009