Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So once Win7 is released, is Ultimate going to have any deal-breaking features other than VHD booting and MUI, that will not be available in Professional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems the first promotion to get Windows 7 Ultimate Edition is through Microsoft's Windows Feedback Program.

Anyone who signed up for the Windows 7 Beta Feedback Program is automatically able to sign up for the Windows 7 RC Feedback Program (even if you didn't actively participate in the Beta program). If you use the RC for at least four months and allow Microsoft to monitor your PC usage with their Windows Feedback software, you can get a the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD for free 3 months after the OS is released commercially.

Where are you getting this from? I'm looking at their website and can't find anything about it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to have Windows Backup make an image that only includes a handful of programs + system files other than uninstalling everything/reformatting? I don't really need for my image to have a copy of all my installed games.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

RonaldMcDonald posted:

If you're following the general rule to only keep user data in your Documents folder, then you can just backup the c:\users\myname folder and you'll have everything. (if you want to get fancy, exclude the c:\users\myname\appdata\local folder, that only contains cache files and other stuff that can get re-created)

I'm not actually talking about the files being backed up, that's fine. If you check you backup options, you'll see that Windows also offers to make an image of your drives, which is nice if you want to just flatten and reinstall with as little hassle as possible.

Last night I noticed that Windows is trying to make an image of both my C: drive (Win7 installation) and my F: drive (WinXP installation), which takes way too much space. I can't figure out to how make it just C: though

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 28, 2009

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Is there a way to make the taskbar work like XP? I like having a quick launch, it bothers me that everything keeps moving around when I open new programs.

What do you mean? Anything that's pinned to the taskbar won't move from that position.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

kapinga posted:

"Active" is Windows code for "boot". No one knows why (well, I don't).

If you have a USB external harddrive, it's very easy to install from it - make a 4GB FAT32 partition in Computer management, set it as active, and tell your BIOS to boot from USB HDD.

Edit:
I actually got really bored this spring and made a multi-boot USB key that has Backtrack, GParted, and a partition for arbitrary 7 (or Vista) installs. The big trick is that Windows, for some reason, only allows devices marked as "Removable Media" to have 1 partition. If you add other partitions using Linux or something, Windows will only show the first one. I found some random utility that I don't trust very well to flip the removable media bit on the key, causing Windows to treat it exactly like an external hard drive. From there it's trivial to just copy the contents of the ISO to a FAT32 partition and mark it as active, as I said before.

The series of commands given above can also be done in Computer Management > Disk Management in Vista/7. It's been so long since I've messed with XP I'm not sure if you can work with USB keys from there in XP.

I've been looking for that program (I believe it's called BootIt) for ages now, but every link to it is either dead or throws off an alarm in Avast for it being a possible trojan.

Do you still have the file? Could you throw it up in rapidshare or something?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of gadgets, do you guys have any good recommendations? Right now I only have the weather one, but last time I tried to look for one in the MS website, the only thing I could find were some lovely RSS readers that wanted to charge me for daring to put in my own RSS feeds instead of the default ones.

Edit: also, is the Device page kind of random on whether it recognizes the devices plugged in. Some days it will be able to tell that my mouse is a Logitech MX518, and that my phone is an iPhone (and give it the right pictures and name, which is really cool), and then it'll just assign them as generic devices.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 9, 2009

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are there any significant problems with running W7 without Aero? I want to put it on my mom's computer, but that machine only has a GeForce 4 MMX.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend in the UK that's willing to receive my copy of Win 7 E Home Premium and send me the key. Is the 53% off UK version (70 pounds / 115 dollars) currently the cheapest option?

Does anyone know if there's any other promotions coming up?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 from a Win XP VLK key?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when the Family Pack is going to be available?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I installed Windows 7 on my old-rear end HP Pavilion zv5000. The OS is running pretty smoothly, but the only problem I'm having is that it won't recognize my Graphics Card (Geforce 440 MX GO) or my laptop's display (selects it as a generic PnP monitor). I looked for drivers but they're all for XP so they won't even install.

The driver itself isn't a problem, but it's forcing me to use a 1024x768 resolution which looks awful.

Anyone know of any workarounds?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

This guy found a driver to work for vista 32-bit, might work for 7 as well: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/331431.html

Thank you!

Another question: For a while now, on my main computer which has an 8800 GTS, whenever I play graphics intensive games (Fallout 3, Prototype), the game will get minimized (but won't actually crash) and I'll get a message saying "NVIDIA Driver #whateverversionnumber has stopped working". After a minute or so, I'll usually be able to tab back into the game (although sometimes it will just crash).

Any ideas?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I feel dumb as a rock. I put off buying the family pack for too long and now it's doubled in price to almost $300.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So wait, I've been installing most of my programs on a separate hard drive, and not in the C: partition. Does that mean that Windows won't be able to detect 32 bit apps and run them on WoW?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm still running the RC (I know, I know, I'll buy it as soon as I can) but I was hoping you guys could help me with a problem I've started having recently:

For some reason, whenever my computer starts up/restarts/comes out of hibernation or sleep mode, Windows will not be able to recognize and connect to any Networks for about 1 minute. After that time, it'll suddenly be able to see the networks again and connect normally.

The adapters are still there, it's just the networks it can't see.

Any ideas?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

My laptop did this same thing in XP and 7, so I don't think it's really a problem. I'd chalk it up to your wireless adapter needing time to re-intialize.

It's a desktop computer hooked up directly to my router :/. And it never did it before, it just randomly started (probably after an update but I can't be sure) a month or so ago.

The weird part is that it does it even for the networks my virtual adapters (Hamachi, VirtualBox) are in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to convince my dad to replace the lovely PCs in his office for something that doesn't quite hang for 3 minutes when opening Firefox. There's just 5 computers, and all they're used for is Office, Internet and Email. There's a small network that's used for accessing the networked printers/hard drive and pretty much nothing else.

My question is: is there any reason for him to get Professional or should he just stick to Home Basic? Looking at the feature-list in the OP I can't see anything he'd miss, but I don't want to have to make him upgrade 4 months down the line because some dumb, but super important thing I overlooked isn't available.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dangerous.hotdog posted:

You can't join a domain with Home Premium.

Which means exactly what on a day-to-day basis (I'm kind of dumb when it comes to networking)?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ninepints posted:

If you have a Windows server, joining the workstations to a domain will allow you to remotely push software and configuration changes, as well provide centralized authentication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_domain

This will most likely not be happening. There's no dedicated IT at the Office, we just have an on-call third party IT service that comes in if there's an emergency. I'm literally talking about people that walk in to the office, fire up the computer, open up Firefox/Outlook/Word and that's about all that happens all day. Is there any advantage to having a Windows domain in this case besides the time you save on the initial installation of all the software?

I mean, worst case scenario you can literally get up and be at any of the computers in a maximum of 15 seconds.

Edit: Basically, is there any thing particularly important that just standard workgroups won't cover?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have pretty much 90% of my applications and files installed/stored in a different hard drive than my OS.

Do you guys have any recommendations on the fastest way to reformat my OS drive, reinstall Windows 7 and be up and running as fast as possible?

I'm switching W7 versions so just straight up imaging is not possible, unfortunately.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

You don't need to reinstall to upgrade a Win7 installation. You can do any Anytime upgrade.

It's actually sort of a downgrade. This particular computer was running one of the RC candidates and is now getting a legit Professional version installed.

Since the RCs were technically "Ultimate" versions, I can't simply slap a Pro install over them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have longass contract I've typed up in Word 2007 for which I basically used a custom list that is basically set up the following way:

Chapter 1 - Chapter Name

1.1 - text corresponding to clause 1.1

1.1.1 - text corresponding to subclause 1.1.1

Obviously each level has its own indentations and stuff like that. Is there any way I can convert this somewhat painlessly into a Style so that Word will automatically set up a Table of Contents for me?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any program or website that will allow me to create a PDF form out of an already existing PDF document, without having to shell out for Adobe Acrobat X (it's just not a big deal enough to warrant buying a product that I'll only use once or twice)?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

WorkingStiff posted:

You mean like PDF Pirate? It really depends on the existing document. For one-off things, keep in mind some image editors can open PDF's.

No, I mean, I have a PDF that is basically an image of a form. I was hoping to add text fields over where you would typically pencil in your info on the printed form.

I guess maybe I could do this on Word?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to set up an autorun.inf file to disable autoplay?

I don't mean it in a virusy way, it's just that I have a pendrive that has two partitions, 1) Trinity Rescue Kit, b) Regular Storage.

I'd like to prevent the Trinity Rescue Kit partion from AutoPlaying (at least on Windows machines) basically because it's annoying to close the AutoPlay menu every time I plug it in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

You used to be able to hold down shift to skip auto play if it wasn't otherwise configured on the machine, does that not work any,ore?

It does, but it also occasionally pops up the Sticky Keys dialog which is doubly annoying. Plus I sometimes lend the pendrive to friends when I need to share some files and they inevitably freak out when the TRK autoplay option comes up (OH MY GOD I PUT IN THE PENDRIVE AND NOW THERE'S A WHOLE BUNCH [2] OF DRIVES SHOWING UP AND I THINK ITS A VIRUS).

Whatever, it's not a big deal. Guess I'll go ahead and get a separate pendrive for TRK or whatever.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 17, 2012

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any "widget" of sorts for Windows XP that lets me press a universal keyboard shortcut that lets me search through my GMail contacts? It would make my work life infinitely easier if there was.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any software that will allow me to do incremental backups (as in, it will only backup new files, or files that have been modified since the last backup) to a different drive?

I don't need to backup the whole OS, just the documents folder (1-2gb worth of Word, Excel, PDF, and image files).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Grawl posted:

Can't you just copy the files over every once in a while, or set some scheduled task to do it? Otherwise, consider using DropBox for your documents and you'll never have to think about it again.

Some of these are legal work documents that I'd rather did not leave the actual computer (not because I think someone is going to look at them, but I would technically be violating some confidentiality clauses), so DropBox isn't much of a possibility.

I'll look into SyncToy and SyncBack. Does anyone know if any of those are available for commercial use?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

madmaan posted:

It would be my advice to not complicate it. A combination of an xcopy batch script and a configured scheduled task to run that batch script should be all that you will need.

Well, the whole point is to keep daily backups. If I'm reading/writing 2gb (or more, not really sure) worth of data from one mechanical drive to another every day, aren't I just inviting a hard drive failure?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any online backup software that will automatically scan different folders in my (Windows) PC and upload them?

Skydrive, Google Drive and Dropbox all just create a special folder which requires you to manually copy everything which kind of defeats the point because I can guarantee that I'll forget to do it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Adding to this, you should really check out whether your other email providers support automatic e-mail forwarding. Gmail will usually fetch your e-mail once every 10-30 minutes, but if you can set up automatic e-mail forwarding, Gmail will receive any e-mails (almost) instantly.

Then it's just a matter of setting up your main Gmail account so that you can send e-mails using your other adresses, and you're set.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

I just made the switch from POP3 to email forwarding, with filters that send everything to a folder that was sent to that email, so I'll give it a few days to see how this works out.

In theory everything should work the exact same as with POP3, and this also seems to me like the superior way and less compromisey way of doing this over POP3's method, so whats the point of POP3 then? I'd rather have email(b) and email(c) just send copies of their emails as emails to email(a) instead of having email(a)(Google) log into my emails(b/c) accounts periodically with my username/password to retrieve emails.

It's clearly superior but many providers don't support it (or have it as a paid feature) because why would they want you to use their e-mail service without you actually going to their site and clicking through their ads?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to define a whole new numbering scheme in Word 2007?

I need to add a numbering scheme that is basically "First, Second, Third, etc." but in a different language. I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes typing in the corresponding words, but I don't see any option that will let me do that.

The "Define New Number Option" simply lets me add words to the existing number schemes, which isn't exactly helpful.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not necessarily a software request, but if there is one (or various) apps that can help me out, that'd be great.

I need to flatten and reinstall a WinXP PC but I need to make sure (as close as reasonably possible without going into "MICROSCOPE ANALYSIS" territory) that previous data in the hard drive cannot be recovered.

Is there any "easy" way to do this? Is there any software you recommend for this?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic, thank you!

Is there any software that will pull the serial keys off installed software (even only Microsoft software would do) and store it in text files?

One last question, is there anywhere I can (legitimately) get a Windows XP image that already has the latest updates already installed? Not a big deal, but it would save quite some time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this specifically a Windows question, but I can't think of where else to ask.

Is there any VPN site people recommend for US IPs? I only need it to browse a webpage (a clothing apparel store) that blocks non-US traffic, not access digital media, so I'd rather keep it low-cost (ie: free).

It's not that I can't google, but putting "free VPN" into the search bar brings up a ton of results, and I don't which one I can trust.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think the go-to text-to-speech software is Dragon Naturally Speaking, but honestly I don't have any data to back to this up.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Two questions:

1. In Outlook 2007, is there any way to set up IMAP so that if I delete a file off the server, it won't delete it from the Outlook inbox? Our mail provider only gives us around 100mb of storage server-wide, and honestly it's more than enough as long as you remember to delete your emails once in a while, but it's kind of pointless using IMAP if I can't have a physical backup of the e-mails.

I can't just move the emails to another folder because then it immediately deletes it off the server as well, which means that any device that hasn't synced yet will never get those emails.

2. I'm having an issue with file sharing in windows where I simply cannot access any shared folders. I can see them in the network, but when I try to access them it gives me a permission error even though the folders are explicitly shared with "Everyone" in the permissions settings.

This only happens with my Windows 7/8 machines. I can access shares on an XP machine just fine.

I've tried googling but I can't find any definite answers. For reference, this is the error I get:

code:
[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\MACHINE\Documents

[Content]
You do not have permission to access \\MACHINE\Documents. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions, see Windows Help and Support

[Close]