Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a way to change the taskbar highlight color to something other that white\bright?

It just looks washed out and crummy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, but any color chosen gives a highlight color that's washed out. Would you elaborate on a hacked uxtheme.dll? I recall that bit from XP days, but don't know how to go about making adjustments *after* replacing the dll.

Do you mean downloading and using somebody's custom theme? Or will the ability to tune down the brightness become available?

I'm poking around in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors for now..

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2010

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do I see all the files I highlight and move around? I used to see every outline in Windows XP, but now I see three shadows that are faded and can't tell where the rest of the files end up.
First Google result says:

# Press Windows Key + R.
# In the Run window, type systempropertiesadvanced, and click OK.
# In Performance section, click Settings.
# In the box, check Show window contents while dragging, and click OK.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
On Windows 7 (x64), is there a way or program to let me watch USB data transfer activity similar to watching the network usage graph in Task Manager's Network tab?

I would really like a way to know if/how much data is moving over a USB port when, say, iTunes syncs (just an example).

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Ragingsheep posted:

What's the recommended software for remote desktop between two Win7 Home Premium machines? They'll be on the same network.
You mean something-like-Remote-Desktop? RDP is only available on Pro or better, but I'm guessing you know this.

Try a flavor of VNC, like TightVNC or UltraVNC. Teamviewer or LogMeIn are other options.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Home versions have been missing Remote Desktop hosting since forever. It's always been a Professional/Business addon feature; just like Domains!
Not what's being discussed. He's having weird UI troubles when using Win7(whichever) as an RDP client to control Server 2012 and other tools are failing him, too.

Pretty sure you're confusing it with Ragingsheep's earlier (and applicable to your answer) question.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Cleary, I could tell from the quoted post.

But, were you not replying to Fishmanpet's post of 14:31, directly above your 14:34 post?

If not, I don't understand where the discussion of RDP hosting in Win7Home came from if not from Ragingsheep's Home-to-Home remote question.

Seems a proper night for ships to be passing in.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It will probably uninstall just fine. Or not. I suppose you're wise not to trust it.

Just download and run MCPR.exe: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

That'll wipe it clean of anything McAfee.

Edit: It's not just McAfee Security Scan Plus, is it? That's not a full AV program but rather a second opinion scanner that won't conflict (or help). It often is installed along with Adobe or Java updates like Chrome or the Ask.com toolbar does.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 14, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Does a Win 8 key work with older versions, like how you can apparently install Vista with a Win 7 key and so on?
Wow, is that a thing? I was not aware this was possible...

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

madmaan posted:

Adblock is the only feature that is non-negotiable for me. Firefox is the only one worth having because of this.
Why does (Chrome's) Adblock Plus fall short for you? I am honestly curious.

Galler posted:

e: I try Chrome about once a month because [stuff] and noscript barely functions and I can't browse without those extensions.
"Can't" is a strong, line-drawing word. What sites-do-you-visit/what-the-hell-requires such an asbestos condom that Adblock"X" et all don't provide?

Again, not to be a dick.. I am genuinely curious to learn more about safety/the-worst-of-the-world.

Are you a frontline malware researcher, or something of the like? I am somewhat familiar with madmaan's profession but yours I am not.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Galler posted:

I will take reasonable measures to prevent that from happening to my own computer ... I would rather just block it all be default and whitelist the handful of sites that I care about.
I see, thank you.

madmaan posted:

Chrome simply didn't block all the same annoying ads that firefox has in the past. I have tried to come back to chrome 3 times and all 3 were short lived.

Mostly it was stream ads.
Thank you. Did Chrome's Adblock (non-Plus) seem any better than its Firefox counterpart (Plus or otherwise)? Did you uncheck the option for "Allow some non-intrusive advertising?"

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Factor Mystic posted:

With my psychic beanie hat on I'm going to guess that you're trying to edit/copy files in directories your user account..
No, no, it's really, literally "every time," as any seasoned IT worker will know.

quote:

configuration files for applications in the Program Files directories

Ah.. clarity.

Three or four percent of, ehem, 'every time' equates to total panic.

If this is inaccurate, my apologies, Boz0r... there is something seriously with your system (like, "anytime" serious).

Edit: Nope, functioning as intended.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 14, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Genderfluid posted:

Is there any simple piece of software that i can use on a windows pc to take a photo using the webcam? i don't need any effects or anything, just need to use the camera
Most any decent camera will have software along with drivers to take pictures. Didn't yours come with any? What make and model? If it's a one-off deal and you aren't crazy paranoid there's Cameroid.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Try using Process Explorer's "Find Window's Process" (the target-esque icon) to identify what is generating that.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does it have to be comptuer hardware? Can't you just plug in an old phone to test?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You can get it from Digital River, an official channel:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Edit: Oops, except Ultimate listed on that page is from an unoffical source. You want this:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso from here http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full

More info if you're paranoid: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...58-79e2345e55ed

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2013

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Teamviewer is.... passable usable.. over high latency connections IF you are plenty patient. Like, ready to wait 15-30 seconds for a response to a click. I've used it over satellite connections which otherwise have good sustained downstream speeds but crap everything else (upstream, latency).

Better than nothing, I suppose. Just be ready for a really long, frustrating go if you are able to run it.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 7, 2014

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Have you addressed your potential/probable RAM problems yet?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 17, 2014

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Okay, cool. That makes me feel more at ease, since all of the problems I'm experiencing with my new system seem to be tied to my old RAM. Thanks :)
So maybe don't crosspost next time and you'd've had your answers a day ago. Less worry that way, less chaos here.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Piriform called. They want their UI back.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
In Windows 7, is there a way to hide or auto-collapse the Dial-up and VPN entries from the wifi networks popup? I have enough VPN connections that my list of wifi networks shows only a single entry unless I scroll the popup window down or collapse the VPN list.

This is stupid and cumbersome, and I cannot seem to find a solution to it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Damnit. Okay, thank you very much, Arsten.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thanks for that. I grabbed a couple licenses.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does it connect at all to begin with?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

fishmech posted:

The home edition of office you can buy in a retail store usually comes with a "family" pack that has 3 Installs simultaneously on each key.
It's not 2007-2012 (or whenever O2007, and then O2013, came out) anymore. You should rephrase, qualifying with "... if you can find someone who has kept their retail box of O2010 Home & Student and can find it."

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a consensus (here? Ha!) on the best replacement for Xmarks now that it's being shut down?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you, I did not know that existed.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm happy to report that my years long search has finally come to an end. I've discovered MailSpring; and it's incredible. It's open source, doesn't store your data on their servers, cross platform, free (though with a paid version for enterprise features) and it does everything I've ever wanted, properly , all the while having the sort of UI a modern app should. It even lets you set shortcuts to replicate outlook/gmail/MacOS mail; and has functional, configurable global scaling to keep it looking comfortable on a High DPI display.
I know this is a reach back, but Lord, how do you deal with the fact that Mailspring doesn't allow you to sort in any way other than by the order they came in? Genuinely asking here... how do you go without a fundamental feature of nearly every other mail client?

I have a similar question about how you cannot disable threaded/conversation view, but that takes a backseat to the above.

Lord, I thought you had a winner for me and mine, too, but these two things are deal breakers. There's gotta be something better than eMClient...

(And why the hell is this also the case with Spark, another highly regarded mail app?)

Anybody found anything better?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I see. It was a friend to to whom I'd mentioned Mailspring, and they we're thrilled (for about 15 minutes) until they realized the lack of these two features.

I was surprised by their absence when they pointed it out. I was further surprised that so many Mac clients on various Best in Class lists also lack these two features.

I appreciate your suggestion, I do, but this is just a large surprise that this poo poo apparently went out of vogue for <reasons> sometime ago (recently?).

(Yes, Thunderbird. I know.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I need to visualize moving furniture around in my living room. Doesn’t need to be fancy, a simple top-down view is fine (this is spatial, not appearance/look.

Any program or website out there that will help us figure what to do before we do it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Not only have they had some really bad flaws in their program
Is it actually past tense now, or should we say “has?”

Didn’t Ormandy’s found vulns not get fully addressed, or am I remembering wrong?

Regardless, yeah, please nobody use LassPass!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Dismissive answer: Head to the InfoSec thread and start reading backwards. Look for the Twitter posts.

Edit: Or, you know, follow him.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does anyone know an automated way to get Amazon delivery info added to a Gmail calendar, without forwarding everything through Outlook.com or letting Slice involved?

I’m coming up short, and the guide I read for IFTTT only leverages Slice.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

syntaxfunction posted:

I've made a few small apps for fun in VS using UWP and I honestly don't see how it's so terrible compared to traditional win32 development. Maybe on the larger scale it is? It just seemed different, not worse, to me.
To be fair, when comparing ground-up program creation to the challenges to porting/rewriting programs, I’m not even certain scale is the appropriate term to use.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Cross-posting from the Small Shop thread for more eyes on it, my question goes:

“Rookie question: Is there a safe, less than MSFT.com MSRP, means of buying a copy of Server 2016 Standard (and aCALs, but I’m more concerned about the OS)?

Is to go with a SuperMicro X10 series board for a clean, new build. (Long story.. for a boss who wants to set his son up with this for dumb reasons—please don’t get hung on on this part).

What spooks me is a) legitimacy, b) versioning/accuracy (see below), and c) cost, in that order.

Just checking on Amazon (here) turns up a first party fulfilled option, but version choice concerns me. I know the workstation world of retail vs OEM OS licensing, but I am unfamiliar with MSFT’s Open License.

9EM-00118 seems to be Open License, and CDW.com lists that as “Licensing Price: Volume” whereas they list P73-07113 as “OEM.”

Simply put, if I’m white-boxing Server 2016 Standard like one would with the System Builders OEM versions, what SKU do I look for and where should I get it?

I could use a hand-hold on this, please.”

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a way to manage like two dozen L2TP IPsec VPN connections without littering my Wifi Networks?

Like, OpenVPN is kind enough to allow as many TAP adapters as one would want, without littering a commonly used UI element?

If it matters, these are running on Edgerouters.

I'm looking for a client where I can stuff connections out of site, like how the OpenVPN tray works.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Didn't you just describe Refresh?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Naw, I know better than divisions full of engineers, programmers, and all those sneaky assholes who are "in on it."

Populism on your PC. Fun.

(Argue the ideology.. sure. Argue the specific technical realities from many, many armchair sidelines away... *groan*)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Bigsteve posted:

Chdrrs for that. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

It's easy, just unistall KB4088970 from Programs and Features.

Not listed? No surprise! Elevate a command prompt and do:

WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:4480970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Lambert posted:

You don't have to, there's still the option of going with a local account. They just changed the verbiage and added an additional misleading prompt.

Is that so? When's the last time you tried?