Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

101 posted:

In every modern browser, you can set notifications to be blocked by default in settings.

Then you can just manually enable them on any sites you want.

drat, I had no idea about this. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Hughmoris posted:

Rookie question about virtual machines:

I'm on Windows 10 and running Virtualbox. I want to create a virtual win10 dev environment that I can quickly flatten and refresh when needed. Creating a new VM from an ISO and reinstalling all my favorite tools every time is painful.

Is this sequence of steps correct to create a better baseline image and clone/snapshot?
  1. Install win10 from iso
  2. Install all win10 updates
  3. Install my favorite dev tools and environments
  4. Create a new virtualbox image/snapshot? (unsure about this step)
  5. Use the new VM
  6. Flatten the VM when I want to start fresh
  7. Launch a fresh new VM using newly created snapshot, skipping steps 1-4

I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding your need here correctly but I think doing step 1-3, shutting it down, making a snapshot should be enough. Then you can just at any time apply the snapshot and it will reverse to stage 3 and that's instant.

I use Hyper-V because it's built into windows to do this all the time for testing weird apps for work.

Cloning is, in my limited virtualization experience, more for if you want to make 100 copies of one machine for 100 people to use at once but you don't want to install Office on 100 VM's so you make one and clone it.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 7, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I thought for sure I read somewhere that Windows 11 Home didn't require TPM, was I wrong about that? Can't find poo poo on it now. If that's a requirement for Home Edition that's moronic.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Windows 11 is grouping my windows into groups in the task bar based on parts of the monitor they take up so if I use win+left to set Chrome on half my schreen and win+right to put teams on the other half, now when I hover over either icon in the taskbar there are all the individual windows but also a Group | *stuff* option that pops up. Can I turn this off somehow?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Thank you! Like a fool I was looking at Taskbar Settings

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

99pct of germs posted:

Long story short, I have a Lenovo laptop that comes with a Realtek audio controller. The manufacturer audio driver is absolute dog poo poo and strips away audio enhancements that I use (volume equalization). If I use the official Realtek driver it fixes the problem and works fine.

The problem is Windows Updates decides yanno gently caress you were going to force install the other driver instead. I tried disabling including driver updates through gpedit but no dice it still force installs the manufacturers driver.

Is there a way to stop this because its really loving annoying.

edit: Just tried disabling it under advanced system settings too so I'll see if that does the trick.

Dunno if you got this fixed but I've used the registry fix described here to block certain device drivers from being auto updated before and it's worked for me

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Max Wilco posted:

What's the ideal program or method when it comes to backing up files? I've been procrastinating on backing up files from my old computer. I've got an 8TB external hard drive I can put them on, but in the past, I've just cut-paste or copy-paste files via Windows Explorer, and I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way of doing it.

I saw Macrium mentioned, but it sounds like that's if you want to clone an entire drive. I could do that (the main SSD on the computer is only 500GB), but would I still be able to access individual files if I transferred them to another computer? If not, then it seems like I'd save space by just transferring specific files.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to take a look at the other two drives, and all combined, there's about 1,794 GB (1.794 TB) between the three, so could I clone all three drives onto the 8TB external?

Klyith gave a very good answer but just in case all of that seems like a bit much and you just want to make a one time copy from point A to point B robocopy can be used very easily with just

code:
robocopy c:\Test c:\Test2 /E
Dunno how complicated you want to get so wanted to point out that the bare minimum of Robocopy is extremely simple

A slightly better version of super simple would be something like below so you get a readable log file and it doesn't get stuck retrying for 30 million seconds if a file refuses to work.

code:
robocopy c:\Test c:\Test2 /E /R:10 /W:10 /log:c:\Test2\Robocopy.log