Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

I'd like to try this out on my laptop. What will happen if I upgrade from Vista 32bit to v7 64bit if my hardware only has 32bit drivers installed?

Read the OP. You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

So if I install the RTM now will it accept my Upgrade key in October or will I have to do an actual upgrade. I'm running the trial right now but I'm keeping Vista on another partition in case I need to verify it.

Assuming you have the version with the correct hashes, yes. You can install RTM now and continue to rearm until you get the key.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

per CD-Key, or per account?

People in the tech-net thread said you get 10 activations per key, but after 10 you get a prompt to call into MS for the automated system to clear you.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Does anyone happen to have the Enterprise hashes on hand?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

Whoa. :wth: I'm using KIS 2009 and my license is about to run out. I didn't know they were starting another version so soon. Thanks for the heads-up!

That link is for their Workstation AV, not the consumer one you have. I have Kaspersky 2010 installed on RC 7100 with no problems, but RTM blocks Kas from installing a driver. So you gotta wait a while. I'm sure by October they'll be back up to speed.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

I am about to take the plunge into Windows 7 Professional. What is the recommended antivirus? I use avast currently, but they do not mention anything about Windows 7 compatability. I imagine the Vista install would work with it, but I am interested in the experiences of those who have gone before me.

A bunch of the AV's don't work on RTM yet, its a bit hit and miss.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Munky_Magic posted:

I also have run out of activations on my Office 2007, which is another reason I don't want to do a complete clean install.

Don't they give you a number to call when you run out so you can get more?

Stanley Pain posted:

Nod32 and Avira work fine on both the RC and RTM.

The ones that I know don't work are BitDefender and Kaspersky 2010 on x64. A driver gets blocked on install.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Stuntman Mike posted:

Is BitLocker To Go going to affect performance when running files (playing a powerpoint presentation) off of a flash drive that's encrypted?

Not enough for it to be noticeable in that situation.

People will tell you to use truecrypt instead.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Psychedelic Enigma posted:

I'm about to install Windows 7 on my home computer (which I haven't used much since I got my laptop for school). I've had 32-bit Vista on it for awhile but it's gotten to be waaay too slow, taking around 15min to boot and at least a minute to load any application.

Anyway, I've got a 1TB hard drive and I'm going to put all my data on there and format my old C drive and install Windows 7 on there. I only meet the minimum requirements though, 2Ghz 64bit AMD processor and 2GB of RAM. Do yall think I can run Windows 7 Ultimate at a reasonable speed or should I wait and upgrade my hardware before going with it?

Just installed win7 on a computer with a Athlon XP 2.20 GHz with 1Gb of ram, runs fairly good. If I had a faster HD, it would have run a lot faster.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

You Am I posted:

Finally got Technet subscription, going to be installing Ultimate 64bit RTM on the weekend.

Technet is the best deal around if you have a lot of computers in a "non-production" environment. Surprising more people don't talk about it more.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, assuming you're one person with a lot of computers.

Once you get around 4-5 computers, its a good deal. Which isn't that much, kinda depends on your household.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've only read the past five or so pages of this.

I'm having some terrible microphone issues in Left 4 Dead since I installed Windows 7 Pro. I disabled the setting where it mutes all other sounds by 50%, but now whenever I talk in game people complain that it sounds like I'm talking under water. I'm pretty sure others have had this problem before. Anyway, I'm running the latest Sound Audigy 2 ZS drivers, but I also used them when I had XP Pro, and my mic sounded fine.

I also tried re-calibrating through Sound settings but no dice. I don't know what the gently caress is going on really.

edit: crap, nm, misread that part.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Fermunky posted:

Man, forgive me if this was answered already but this thread is huge. I have a dual boot question. When I upgraded by mobo and processor, I didn't realize my processor was 64 bit, so I installed Windows XP pro. Can I dual boot with Win7 64 bit with the existing XP installation?

Yes.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I'm using the Community Combined Codec Pack with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and for some reason all my videos play fine except WMV files - they are stuttery and it takes 10-15 seconds when seeking through a file for the sound and video to sync up and start playing. Any reason or work around for this? It happens with the stable and beta versions.

e: Nevermind, fixed it.

How did you fix this?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

jew$ posted:

This maybe a stupid question, but if I have a full version of 7 Ultimate, can I used it to simply upgrade or do I have to reinstall Windows completely? (I currently have Vista Ultimate.)

You can do an inplace upgrade, but its not always a good idea, but the option is there. As long as you're going 64 to 64 or 32 to 32 bit.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Just wanted to remind people that Microsoft's free anti-virus product is officially out of beta and is quite good, especially if you're looking for something for Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

This even has the same engine as Forefront, which has been recommended in the past.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Anyone planning on doing an unboxing video when their win7 arrives in the mail or when they pick it up at the store?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Cuddly Coach posted:

^^ Having a launch party friday night that'll p much consist of me getting drunk on shoutcast and doing the puzzle on webcam, is that classier than a unboxing?

Thats an entirely different beast.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Honey Im Homme posted:

(not mine:()

Theres already some vids on youtube.

Party Pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g144cPP8DWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjET1TrD5Oc

Oem unboxing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRxKFAk8UY

Home premium:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKhIruQ6V0

There was even one video of some guy that looked like he was unboxing a burned DVD he bought off of ebay... or one he made himself, who knows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSQaffB2fe8

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

LorneReams posted:

I had to register a dll and use the command promt and all that poo poo, and I'm not so good with that.

Why didn't you just install CCCP?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

LorneReams posted:

That was all you needed to do? gently caress. That works with x64?

Yep, works with x64.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

TShields posted:

I regret not doing the beta, but if I get the $149 Family Pack, I don't really have to use it for my "family", do I? I could put it on my PC, my fiance's laptop, and just find a buddy who wants to throw in $50, right? I just don't want to drop the money and get caught in some loophole, but that honestly sounds like the best deal for us.

No. They'll ask for marriage licenses and birth certificates.

Yeah, its fine.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Expiration Date posted:

I think this weirdness with the digitalriver stuff is going to make me buy a 2nd retail upgrade copy so I can have a physical disc around to install from on both of my machines.

I need a second copy anyway, might as well do 'em both now.

Do you have your key already? I'm not sure how the digital river thing works. But if you at least have the key, you can download the iso somewhere, verify hashes, and keep that as your physical disc.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Where can I download a copy of the RTM 64-bit? Digital River is raining on my parade.

Check all the usual suspects. Just remember to check the hash yourself.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Kawakami posted:

So my upgrade seems to have gone fairly smoothly until the point it's at now. It seems to have stalled out on a particular file and has been transferring it for well over half an hour now. Am I just being impatient or is something broken. If the latter what I can I do to unbreak it?

I've had this happen too. Don't worry though, it eventually goes through.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Jos posted:

I bought a computer after July 26th with Windows Vista Ultimate from Dell, and will get its equivalent version of 7 mailed to me. Only it will take up to a month before it's shipped and I want my win7 now.

I read 30+ pages of this thread and have extracted the following information:

-I should download the WIN7 RTM ISO with MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
-I can install and use this version in trial-mode until my win7 key arrives in the mail (in about a month), should this take longer I need to do the 30+ days rearm fix
-Once I got it I can then insert said key into win7 and be a happy bear

Is this correct? Anyone actually did this already? Thanks!

Yep. Just make sure you install ultimate.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7? Just open up a command prompt and type in "netsh wlan show drivers". You'll get a blob of text that looks kinda like this:

code:
Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver                    : NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax(TM) Wireless PCI Adapter

Vendor                    : Atheros Communications Inc.
    Provider                  : Atheros Communications Inc.
    Date                      : 10/5/2009
    Version                   : 8.0.0.238
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\oem6.inf
    Files                     : 2 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys
                                C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11b 802.11g
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported  : Yes

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Some of my icons in the system tray are now invisible. They're there and I can even get the outline kinda when I mouse over them, but they don't appear. Also I can't right click anything and double clicking makes no difference. I'm at a loss on how to fix this or even what caused it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Is it possible to activate the Enterprise 90 day trial with your own MAK key and still be able to use it after 90 days?