Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Just installed this on my laptop, everything is working fine, I'm really enjoying it. I do have one problem that hopefully someone can help me with--it's not recognizing my touchpad as a touchpad, but instead as a PS/2 mouse. It still works fine for the most part, except that I can't scroll in the pad like I used to be able to. For reference I'm on a Dell Inspiron 6400, 2 years old. Any clues/Drivers I should download? I upgraded from Vista Ultimate

Edit: Wasn't using my head tonight, I guess. Downloaded the driver from Dell and it works fine.

I do have a general question though. I have all this stuff in my Windows.old folder, but I don't think I want it in there. I got all the stuff I wanted to (music, documents, etc.), but there's a lot still in the Windows.old files. Is there any reason to keep that stuff around? It seems like it's just going to be eating up space on my hard drive.

Chemical Shift fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Sounder posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a dump of all the old files on your system. If you're sure there's nothing else in there you need to salvage you can delete it.

Just a follow up question- is it safe to delete the old files in the Windows folder? I doubt the new windows is using the old files in any way, and it's using up way too much space on the harddrive to warrant keeping it. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the files in the Windows folder in the Windows.old folder.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a laptop on which I installed the RC on, upgrading from Vista Ultimate. No problems so far, I've been enjoying it.

My parents had my cousin install Windows 7 Build 7057 on their computer a while back. I figured since I was home for break and the RC was out, I'd install that for them since it's bound to be a little bit more stable, plus it can be activated (they didn't have a key for the other one). I booted from the disk that I used for my laptop and installed the RC. After I booted in and connected to Windows Update and downloaded the updates, and restarted to apply them, it refuses to move past the "Starting Windows" page. Now I can't boot into the OS at all. Any clues as to what to do? It offers to bring up the recovery console and uses the restore point created before I installed the updates. Once I revert to that, it's able to boot in but if the updates are applied then it refuses again.

My question is: is it just the updates, or is there something wrong with the installation? Is there a way I could reformat and reinstall the RC now, or is that not even necessary? Thanks for any help.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

haterade posted:

I clicked to opt-in to MSDNAA with ACM, how long does it usually take to get an email or whatever else I'm supposed to get?
It took about 25 hours for me, and the thread over in GBS has people reporting similar figures (20-25 hours).

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Dominoes posted:

You have to shake hard for a few seconds. It takes more effort than it's worth.

Try Windows+Home. It's the same thing as Aero Shake but actually usable outside of tablet PCs.