Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
IE is definitely improving, but its rendering engine and javascript engine are both still pretty terrible. I wish MS would adopt WebKit for IE, but WebKit is so associated with Apple (and now Google, with Chrome) that I think Ballmer would rather be waterboarded than switch IE over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I'm surprised anyone can deal with un-anti-aliased fonts at this point. Most fonts are now designed with font anti-aliasing (like ClearType) in mind, so when you turn it off, text looks absolutely terrible. Try it with any of the "C" fonts that started shipping with Vista.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

xamphear posted:

Both MPC and ZoomPlayer look fine to me on 7. Maybe check to see what output renderer you're using for video. VMR7 and 9 both work good for me, maybe you'll have better luck with one over the other.

According to the video nerds that put together CCCP, Haali Video Renderer is the best choice, followed by the Overlay Mixer (if your computer can't handle Haali). They seem a bit iffy on EVR at the moment.

It should be noted that Overlay Mixer disables Aero, though.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Sully posted:

In my experience with applications that disable Aero, its disabled globally until that application is closed, and then automatically enables itself.

This is correct.

My NC10 netbook can't handle using the Haali renderer (it requires beefier graphics), so I use the Overlay Mixer. I found that VMR7/9 caused a darker picture than it should have, but the colors look fine with the Overlay Mixer. Disabling Aero is a little annoying but not too big of a deal, since I have to disable Aero to reliably play HD video anyway.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
If MS is smart, upon first boot, the IE-less version of Win7 will display a notice explaining that, due to EU restrictions, they weren't allowed to include IE by default, but it's available any time for download and install via Windows Update.

I'm not an MS fan by any means, but these EU restrictions are ridiculous.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

fishmech posted:

IF you go to a consumer electronics store like Best Buy, you see Home Premium and Ultimate. If you go to a business electronics/supply store like OfficeMax you see Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Sometimes you see Home Basic at those places, though rarely.

What's the problem with that? It's not like people actually go out and buy a new OS most of the time anyway, its mostly tech-savvy people who build their own computers who do that.

As much as I hate Apple's dipshit propaganda, they do have a point about there being ONE version of OS X to buy, whereas MS has SIX (or whatever) versions of each Windows release. Wouldn't a version for home users and a version for business users be enough?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Is anyone with Realtek HD Audio experiencing a lot of audio popping/clicking? It's been happening for me for months now, and every time Realtek releases a new driver, I install it only to be disappointed that the popping it still there.

It happens mostly while I'm watching videos (I use the CCCP with MPC-HC), but it also occurs while listening to music (I use FB2K). I did some Google searches and I'm obviously not the only one with this problem, but so far I've not found a fix for it.

I'm running build 7100.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

I've experienced this a lot.

In the past, I swore I fixed it after each update if I changed the sound output from "DVD Quality" (48KHz) to "CD Quality" (44 KHz).

That hasn't worked in a while.

How do you install the drivers?

I usually just manually tell Windows to update the drivers and point it to the INF file.
However, this most recent time I actually ran the SETUP.EXE file and let it do its thing.
I swear I haven't had the audio pops since then.

The latest driver (R230) came in a zip with a bunch of files and a setup.exe, so I just used that to install. If I remember correctly, the previous driver I used to update (R227) came in a self-contained EXE.

Anyway, none of these updated drivers have fixed a drat thing. Hell, I think this latest driver is actually worse than the last. A thread on a Windows 7 forum has 25 pages of people complaining about how lovely Realtek's drivers are.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

thrawn86 posted:

did anyone ever have any luck with the realtek popping issue? I've tried a couple of different driver packs now, and I'm about ready to plug in my old audigy 2 platinum ex and just see what happens :) that breakout box sure was nice, come to think of it...

Some people claim the default Windows drivers solve the popping issue, or at least lessen its occurrence, but I haven't tried it yet. The official Realtek drivers are absolute poo poo and the problem has persisted since at least February.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

kapinga posted:

This is Microsoft's discussion on Cleartype in Window's 7.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/06/23/engineering-changes-to-cleartype-in-windows-7.aspx

All of that discussion about font rendering, and ClearType still looks like poo poo. Shame.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Swilo posted:

Have you tried tuning it?

No amount of tuning makes ClearType any less hideous. Granted, I'll take ClearType over no anti-aliasing of fonts, but the way OS X renders fonts is much better.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I accidentally deleted the "My Music" folder from the Music library, so I added it back and now have this stuck at the top:

How the hell do I hide that?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Casao posted:

Don't arrange it by folder?

It's there by default on every library with more than one folder. Arrange by something else if you don't want that there.

The arranging option didn't solve the problem but your tip did make me notice the "group by" option and when I set it to "none" it solved my little problem. Thanks.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

sedative posted:

IrfanView

Seconding this. Irfanview is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

c0burn posted:

Best picture viewer is FastStone MaxView (not free, liked it enough to buy it)

http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDetail.htm

Looks kind of like Irfanview, except it costs $20 and hasn't been updated for 9 months...?