Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That loving Sned posted:

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 this morning :saddowns:

Isn't 9 or 10 or whatever supposed to be a free upgrade from 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm looking for a bit of software to catalogue my CD collection, something like Delicious Library but for windows.
I've been using MediaMan for the last few years, which was basically a windows DL clone, but its been all but abandoned now.

Ideally supporting importing by scanning the barcode

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it can make keeping packages up to date as easy as in Linux it really would be the best thing ever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm looking for some home inventory software (books, games, movies, etc).
I've been using MediaMan for years, but the developer has basically abandoned it and its Amazon interface is broken and it's just got a lovely interface now.

Delicious Library used to be the gold standard, but it's OSX-only and they haven't even expanded to iOS yet.

Collectorz is ridiculously expensive and spreads its cataloging across 5 different programs ($30-200 depending on versions and components you want).

Librarian Pro 3 has a crappy interface, but it seems like the closest to MediaMan/Delicious Library. I've been importing my MM database into this, but it looks like I'll have to manually update every entry to get proper updated info from Amazon, and I can't drag-and-drop stuff between collections.

The features I want include Amazon integration, wide range of supportitems, full custom collections & item support, and preferably Android/iOS extensions.

Anyone have experience with any others?

I asked the exact same question a while back with no replies

I'm using orangeCD catalogue now which does the job well but looks like it's going the same way as MM with the dev all but abandoning it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

µBlock is the new hotness now

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/%C2%B5block/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Crashplan will with a bit of fiddling, I've been doing this for a couple of years with no problem

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Backup/Backing_Up_A_Windows_Network_Drive

e: or you could just install crashplan on it and do it natively:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/UPDATED2014HowToSetupCrashPlanCloudBackupOnASynologyNASRunningDSM50.aspx

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its also not the default

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use peazip

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you're just looking to display and read, Sumatra pdf is a better choice

Calibre is somewhat overkill

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You're looking for the forced subtitle flag

Something like this would work

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/general-video/how-to-add-subtitles-to-mkv-files-using-mkvmerge-gui

or

http://madaboutbrighton.net/articles/encode-forced-subtitles-using-mkvmerge if you're happy using a CLI

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mp3tag can do that with the export function

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dohaeris posted:

I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7. I'd like to do the clean install now. My data is backed up on internal hard drives. Windows goes on the SSD. If I do a restore will it erase the files from all drives, or just the Windows one? Or should I do the usb/iso route?

If you do a windows reset, it will specifically ask you if you want to wipe just the install disk or all your disks, its surprisingly well done

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can you screen shot the output from crystaldiskinfo? That'll tell you pretty quickly if it's screwed or not

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well the disk is fine

A quick Google suggests its nothing to do with the drive and a steam issue. Possibly a permissions thing?

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/541907867750669578/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OK, how about

Well the disk is probably fine

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sorry, pre caffeine grumpiness

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whats the current recommended program to turn popular video formats into a DVD?

Doesnt need to do anything fancy, just stick a file in and spit out a DVD

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Risket posted:

I've used DVD Flick in the past. It worked pretty well from what I remember. http://www.dvdflick.net

I'll give it a go, thanks

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vulture Culture posted:

DVD Flick isn't awful

Thats what I use too, but it has occasionally spat out a useless 100mb iso for me with no indication anything went wrong

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mr. Fix It posted:

No, he or she is some random poster on an Internet forum.

who apparently spends their day searching for every mention of Lastpass on here so they can run huffing and puffing into the thread, it's like clockwork

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The fingerprint scanner plus LastPass autofill on android is super slick

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I use cccp too, mainly as its got MPC bundled in which is so much nicer than VLC

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

IcePhoenix posted:

I just built my first computer (hooray) and installed windows 7, but I've run into a problem. I don't have an optical drive on it (because I never use them), and whenever I boot up windows the ONLY extensions that work are the Keyboard and Mouse (because I turned on PS/2 emulation in the BIOS I assume). Because of this I can't install any drivers, and because I can't install any drivers Windows won't recognize the network card or any of my USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0). It won't even recognize my second hard drive (I installed it on my SSD).

I know the USB and network card are working because when I go into the BIOS on startup they work (I updated my firmware while in it through an internet update hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't), so I have no idea what to do next. Is there a way for me to stick the mobo drivers on the windows install boot USB? Or should I just bite the bullet and change to Windows 10? I was sticking with 7 because I had actually bought a Windows 10 computer a few months ago but it chugged SO BAD that I sent it back and waited until I could afford to build my own.

You might as well just go straight to win 10? You'd probably get all the drivers as standard

Not long left before the free upgrade ends, and you can do a clean install that way

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 6, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah you can just plug in your win 7 key to the installer

You'd need to find another computer to download the media creation tool through

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm pretty sure 98 had it too after an update

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tried mucking about with power saving settings for the usb device?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm phone posting so can't find it but there's a CrashPlan support page that explains how to do a fast initial backup

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you considered an actual clock

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

After trying a few programs over the years its the one I settled on too and it works great. I've got a 500+ CD collection and I mostly keep a record of it for insurance purposes

I got an old cuecat off eBay for a few quid to scan the bar codes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just do a new install and stick your 7 key in, it still works by all accounts

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Keepass is definitely more secure, but a lot less convenient

Not to say lastpass isn't secure, it's what I use, as the convenience far far outweighs any downsides

The android client is really really good, especially now it's free, and recent updates to the Chrome client make it really nice

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

By more convenient I mean not having to deal with moving and keeping an archive around and updated, and deal with a pretty janky app that doesn't do autofill very well (though that may have improved since i tried it a few years back)

I'm also happy with the way lastpass dealt with the last security breach, and confident nothing of mine was actually compromised in any way

If it wasn't as convenient, I'd probably slip into old and lazy habits again. So I've weighed it up, and stuck with lastpass

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh goddamnit crashplan are stopping doing home backup solutions and going enterprise only

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EssOEss posted:

I can recommend duplicacy as the frontend and Backblaze B2 as the storage. Works great for me (some TBs of data stored) and pretty cheap.

Oh this looks promising

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've got a samknows box on my network here in the UK and it gets me a fiver off my Virgin bill each month, it's good poo poo

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it's just photos they care about then Google photos all the way

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like peazip

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spincube posted:

I've lately spent my time in lockdown ripping my music CD collection to FLAC, as a 'once and for all' kind of thing. For the sake of speed I've so far focussed on getting everything ripped and stored in the standard albumartist\albumtitle format, with coverart; but now that I'm done, I'd like to meddle with the tags and the directory structure so that everything's 'just so'.

So, I'm looking for something that can bulk-edit FLAC metadata, and build a directory structure around the metadata - so I can fix up my genre tags, putting an album's release year into its directory name, get rid of (Disc 2) in favour of continous track numbers, and so on.

I'm not bothered about retrieving & applying metadata from Musicbrainz or wherever, and Windows' 'right-click->Properties' option just doesn't feel powerful enough. Does a tool like this exist, now everyone's streaming instead?

I used easytag to sort out my collection recently. I was using the linux version but its identical on windows

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've left thunderbird so many times over the last decade+ to try something new and shiny and I always end up going back to it

Its not pretty but it works perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:catstare: