Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Reposting since I assume this is the new thread since for some gently caress reason the other one isn't closed:

Finally saw my first Windows 7 blue screens since I started using the beta months ago when it first came out (I'm currently on the RC). Fallout 3 last night made my machine give a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error screen once while playing last night, and once right after quitting the game.

Since it's Fallout 3, I'm not going to sweat it. I just find it funny that it took that buggy game to finally bring the OS down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Echophonic posted:

Hell, I only have three gigs of RAM on my laptop and I rarely break 50% on 32-bit. Come on 7, fill that poo poo. I shouldn't even have to WAIT to open stuff with that much free RAM, get to work SuperFetch.
Check the resource monitor. It might actually be using more than that. My physical memory is at 20% use right now, but the resource monitor shows that it's using about 70% of my RAM to cache things it knows I might load.

I love this new memory management in Vista/7.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Sheep posted:

In other news, Windows 7 is pretty slick, even if Windows Update is still horrible and hardly works.
What do you mean? It's been solid for me in Windows 7, and hell, it's been solid on XP for years now. I have to use the thing every day.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

xamphear posted:

Weird, it's been like that for me in both 7077 and 7100 on all 5 PCs I have it installed on. It's a live preview only if the application is on the screen, once it's minimized it goes to a thumbnail frozen at the instant of minimization.
I think it's just a limitation of Aero. It's been like how you describe for me with every application ever since Vista launched.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Xithyl posted:

Anyone else get a lot of random IRQL blue screens? I've noticed that sometimes, when just browsing the web and using for example, Soulseek or foobar2000 (only other programs I use really frequently), I'll get a blue screen, memory dump and it'll reboot.
Test your hardware. It's likely an issue with your RAM, or less likely a conflicting driver.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

darkforce898 posted:

So I got an email today saying.

We’re sending this mail to remind you that Windows 7 Release candidate is available and to make sure you plan ahead for when the Beta expires on August 1, 2009. On June 1, 2009, the PC you’re using to test the Beta will begin shutting down every two hours.

I checked my winver and it says it expires 3/1/10. Which one do I believe?
They didn't word it the best, but it's the Beta that expires in August. The RC expires in 2010.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

RonaldMcDonald posted:

If you're following the general rule to only keep user data in your Documents folder, then you can just backup the c:\users\myname folder and you'll have everything. (if you want to get fancy, exclude the c:\users\myname\appdata\local folder, that only contains cache files and other stuff that can get re-created)
Never tell anybody that about the appdata\local folder. It can hold a lot of configuration information, and on top of it, software like Outlook uses it to store its data files.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Femur posted:

Completely default other than minor appearance stuff I guess.
When this is happening, open up the resource monitor and say exactly how your RAM is being taken up. You can tell if it's the aggressive caching of Vista/7 using your RAM, or if you have some nutty programs eating it all up.

Just click the memory tab and you'll see a long bar broken up.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Priapist posted:

No, you aren't the only one, though people seem to want to make you believe that. On my system (Core2Duo e8400, 4GB RAM, P35 motherboard, Radeon 4870) Vista x64 does seem more responsive in many instances - particularly the GUI and OS operations. Certain things in Win7 are noticeably faster and benchmarks look better, but I think Aero animations are timed slower, giving the illusion of sluggishness. That could all change and it may be better optimized by RTM, but I'm just not seeing the huge performance increase some people are raving about.
It's because you're running a machine that's going to be nice and responsive in the first place, across all of the Windows OSes.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm wanting to get in on this pre-order deal, but I'm not sure if it can work for me.

All copies of XP I have are academic serial keys, from college. My Vista Business serial is from that "watch some videos, get Vista" deals. I'd be worried if it would count any of these as legitimate upgrade media.

And it says that as a Win 7 beta/RC tester I'm eligible, but I'm not sure how all of that is going to work since I'll want to do a clean install. However, my serial number is one of the unique ones, before they started handing them out differently during the initial beta phase.

Does anyone know what I should do? And if you really have to have a previous copy installed before it counts for the upgrade to install, instead of just reading media or older license keys, I don't know if I want to buy an upgrade in the first place. That's too much hassle.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

CitrusFrog posted:

It's not like I just went in and randomly started unchecking boxes, I looked at the services individually, assessed what they were for and whether or not disabling them would cause system instability, and tried not to get too overzealous. However, surely you can't look at the services tab in MSConfig and fail to be surprised at just how many more services they crammed in that not everyone will need.
If you weren't using the services, there's a good chance they were using such a minuscule amount of resources only the machine itself could notice.

quote:

I don't know how or why but my performance did in fact improve afterwards.
Based on what metric?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
The family pack is finally confirmed by Microsoft.

quote:

I know there have been some rumors going around about a “family pack” for Windows 7. We have heard a lot of feedback from beta testers and enthusiasts over the last 3 years that we need a better solution for homes with multiple PCs. I’m happy to confirm that we will indeed be offering a family pack of Windows 7 Home Premium (in select markets) which will allow installation on up to 3 PCs. As I’ve said before, stay tuned to our blog for more information on this and any other potential offers.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Parachute Underwear posted:

For now, run it in a maximized window until they release a fix of some sort. Comes out to about the same thing.
On an 8800 GTS, I can't run WoW in a maximized window. The framerate drops significantly and stutters regularly. I have to just play in full-screen mode, where it runs beautifully except for when it just starts crashing with graphical glitches.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm having a rare but odd problem that I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen.

Twice in the past month my machine blue-screened with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. My system checks out on any tests, so it's probably just a beta driver crashing the kernel somehow. That's okay, and I don't care about diagnosing that.

But the issue is that after the crash, the OS won't load properly. After putting in my password, it will just sit endlessly logging into Windows with hardly any drive activity. I can reboot it, but the problem persists.

The fix? Boot into safe mode. After I do that, it will start up normally.

Weird as hell. Anyone else seen that?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

LooseChanj posted:

Worst case scenario, you have to call. But that's pretty painless, and in all likelihood you won't need to.
On top of it, the call last on average for me about two minutes, and I have to make it all of the time. Why some people are so averse to dialing that number is beyond me.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

The Faustus posted:

Yes I know about img burn. But its not very good all around software outside of its specialty.
What exactly are you needing, then? I haven't used a program outside of IMGBurn for a few years because it handles everything I need it to do.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
This might be exactly the right thread, but does anyone have any experience with software that's used to monitor various health aspects of systems on a network and report back to a central server? I'm not talking about monitoring employee behavior, but just checking SMART statuses, security updates, disk space, and a number of other factors.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Masked Pumpkin posted:

Nagios has a Windows based NSclient that can do that kind of reporting for you if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with the configuration.
Oh, thanks! This might be exactly what I need, because I certainly didn't want any bloated enterprise solutions.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

I've yet to see a 3rd party wireless manager that wasn't loving worthless. Why don't you just have another go with nLite?

Just wanting to second this. Ever since XP SP2, the best wireless managers have been built into Windows. There isn't a demand for a third-party wireless network manager, and it makes about every attempt be garbage.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

justlikedunkirk posted:

Here's my silly question:

I currently have an older PC running on Windows 7 x32. I'm planning to build a new computer in the near future and will install the x64 version on that one. Is it possible to use the same key # for the 32-bit version on the older computer when I install the 64 bit version or will I have to buy a new one? I know that you can use the same key on 32 or 64 bit versions but I don't know if the key I'm using now is only registered to this machine. I really don't want to drop $250 down when I already have a copy of Windows 7 and would rather use that on the new computer.

I'm not doing a good job explaining this, hopefully someone can explain this to me.
As long as you're not using it on both computers at the same time, it should work fine.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

Not only that, but MSE is hands-down the best one you can get for Windows, especially for its free price tag.

I know I've said it before, but I have to say it again. MSE has fallen down since it came out and this is the truth. It's still great, especially for the price tag, but right now I'm finding Avast to be much better in terms of performance on all levels.

The first 1.5 years of MSE were great, but virus authors really started to figure it out and that's where I started seeing MSE slipping regularly. For a while there though, I didn't have to worry about any of my clients with MSE.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

GreenNight posted:

What's a good program to figure out what drivers you need? I put Windows 7 on a box and can't for the life of me figure out what NIC drivers it wants.

Unknown Device Identifier should give you enough information to hunt down a driver.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

HKBGUTT posted:

Is it possible to use a Windows 7 OEM-key from a laptop and install using a Windows 7 retail cd and sucessfully activate Windows? I remember this beeing problematic with Windows XP.

I've done it twice in the past week alone, one with an OEM Windows 7 key and the other with a Windows Vista OEM key, using the respective retail media. They really made this part of things way less a pain in the rear end, thankfully.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

IT Guy posted:

But not through USB, correct? I was under the impression that these disk health tools only worked while hooked up via an actual SATA port.

No, it can grab SMART data over USB, too.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Note that if it was an OEM install of the OS by HP, that the key you recover will not be the one that was actually on the sticker and won't work if you try to use it. If you ever installed it yourself and used that key, then it will at least report back fine.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Not here. I've seen the MW process spike at certain points - mostly when it's a fresh install and Onedrive is syncing, but certainly never anything to that extent.

Just tried to install Sublime on my PC, with a 256GB SSD it installed in less than 3 seconds. The MW process didn't spike at all.

MSE/Defender/whatever it's called at the moment has always been an odd one for me. The countless PCs I've dealt with over the years since it has been out all seem to act differently. For the most part, it's fine, but it's very common for me to run into MSE holding up valid executables. Not sure the rhyme or reason, but it's always that process going crazy for a bit.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

I wish that I could tell you what happened to my Windows 7 directory, but it's still over 40GB after running Disk Cleanup with "Clean Up System Files".

This isn't ever clear, but you have to reboot after running that. It finishes the process then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
My biggest issue with MSE is that I frequently run into it choking systems, where it seems to want to use a ton of CPU for minutes at a time to scan an executable before letting it go anywhere. I've seen this across every version of Windows and so many desktops at this point.

It's nice that it's free, but that can be annoying.