Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PSA: If anyone out there uses BitLocker and is still on Windows 10, please check your Windows Update history and make sure KB5034441 didn't fail. If it did (with the same error code on that page), you'll have to run through these steps to get it installed correctly. Basically, the issue is that your system drive recovery partition needs to be larger than the 500-something MB it defaults to when installing Windows on an empty drive (hopefully they will fix that in future versions of the MCT). This process bumps the partition up to ~770.

Really important security update for BL, so take care of it ASAP if you need to.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

slidebite posted:

Is my OS partition the "System" partition? - IE: Part 2?
So the command is going to force it to 250MB?

No, your OS partition is the "primary" one (part 4) since it's the largest. This process cuts that partition down by 250 MB, so that when you delete and re-create the recovery one (part 1), it takes up the remainder of the space on the disk, and as a result, is 250 MB larger than before.

slidebite posted:

I see my recovery is already >250MB (529MB) so is this even the issue?

Yes, it is. The steps increase the size of the partition by 250 MB, it's not how much you need total. I had to do this myself a few weeks ago. I followed the instructions exactly and my recovery partition went from 500-something MB to 773. Only then did the update install successfully.

From what I understand, this update mostly affects BitLocker security, so if you use that, you need to get it installed ASAP.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 27, 2024

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I do actually, I have 2, one is extremely old with nothing important on it and I'm seeing how long it lasts. It would have been in every system but never as the OS disk. I've had the OS on an SSD +/- NVME for each of these. Do you think it's still doing something where it's waiting for indexing of that drive or something?

FWIW, I used to use a rather ancient USB external drive (Seagate GoFlex Desk?) that ground my entire system to a complete halt when it needed to spin up. So I just left it unplugged until I needed to use it. The spinny storage HDD (WD Caviar Blue) I had inside the case never had that issue. Last fall, I replaced both of those with SSDs. I hear drive prices have gone up since then, but I'd still recommend replacing all your spinning platters as soon as you can afford it.

Klyith posted:

This is why 11 removed the ability to add extensions to the new right-click.

drat, really? I use "Edit with Notepad++" and 7-zip functions all the time via right-click in 10. I guess I could get around the former by painstakingly setting up file associations (ugh), but there's no easy solution for the latter.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Just ran my weekly FreeFileSync backup, thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I forget about it! Probably something I should automate with a scheduled task...