Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Noticed that my 9900k doesn't seem to idle and stay idle anymore even when I gave it 20min of chilling. Task manager shows less than 5% usage from various stuff. It's definitely not under a lot of load but I'm surprised I don't see cores idling like I could swear I used to. I tend to have a lot of things running in the taskbar but didn't think that would be a huge problem in a pc like mine:

PC is properly set in balanced mode and individual cores will bounce down to 800MHz frequently before coming back to 5.0GHz so it's not like c-states aren't enabled or something. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a miner somehow installed so I used malwarebytes which didn't detect anything. Is this still the preferred software for this? Any other ideas?

32gb RAM
Win10 pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Even when I close those I still have the same issue. How could that be the problem anyways with a 4% load?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whoever can guess 20 is a hero!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

12 HWinfo

8 some kinda display settings app?

HWInfo was responsible for some kinda issues with my video card a couple months back that let to a bunch of system freezes and crashes. But I have a 7 year old budget video card, with a number thousands less than the number the OP put up there.

I didn't include the video card, it's a 2080ti but I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU clocks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If both accounts are local accounts you should be able to log into either without a pw but you'll still have to type in the username I'm pretty sure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hwinfo64 is by far the best if you're just trying to monitor stuff IMO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thank you, the logging is nice and it gives a ton of feedback.

First thing to do is remove the 'Average' column and hide the stuff you don't care about. It's a great price of software.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

Is there a way to boost the loudness of a device in Windows 10? My headphones on my work machine are super quiet for some reason. Googling pointed to all kinds of dodgy looking adware.

Any advice?

Make sure you have the latest drivers but yeah maybe try plugging them into the mobo directly if you're using the front ports.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Can someone tell me a quick and dirty way to record audio and screen on Windows 10? One of my professors has gone insane and is planning to hold a live lecture on Zoom at 8:00 AM tomorrow morning. I really don't feel like putting up with that poo poo.

Fraps can do this. So can the GeForce experience shadowplay stuff if you have an Nvidia GPU.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I want to visualize the comparative size of a few computer cases, is there a modelling program that will let me quickly punch in dimensions and generate a bunch of boxes? SketchUp maybe?

The google "measure" app (I think that's what it's called?) should let you draw the coordinates in augmented reality beside your desk or whatever if you're wondering about how it would look.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You need to set up windows remote desktop protocol and you should also have that behind a VPN so it doesn't get compromised. That should give you enough to start googling.

A worse version of this which is probably more secure (maybe not though I don't actually know) is to use Chrome remote desktop, so you access it via the browser.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 5, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rolo posted:

I want to stream Flight Sim 2020 to my buddy that has a doo doo GPU. What’s the go-to app for that? Parsec?

You're trying to stream your gameplay? OBS-> twitch, or the built in screen share from discord.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rolo posted:

Sorry I wasn’t being specific, I want to stream and also let him control it.

This is basically impossible with any kind of reasonably short latency.

e: vvv that's crazy, alright. I'm going to try this from my PC to my laptop when I get home.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 9, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Basic question as I experience the joys of remote troubleshooting for family.

Does oem Windows 10 still come with a media player? My elderly family member has a newer laptop with Windows 10. They have a USB drive with a linux instructional video on it, and they want to watch the video on their TV. Can they simply connect their laptop to the TV using HDMI, plug the USB drive in, use Windows media player to play it, and display on the TV?

I'm at this stage now because they don't have internet access and I can't remote in to their laptop to support or snag VLC.

Yes there is a player built in. God help you once they try to install Linux.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I'm a weirdo who replaced all of Windows 10's sounds with my own, and I noticed that they're all low quality mono 22000mhz wavs that play as loud as possible so that they sound like boiled poo poo on any speakers. Even replacing them was a pain, at least one of them won't play at all unless the sound file is located somewhere in the same directory hierarchy as the default sound set, and the system notification would only play properly if the first second of the sound file was silence.

Did you make your own sounds? You gotta give us the pack.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

How concerned should I be if my boss purchased about a dozen copies of Office 2019 from eBay? The boxes are shrink wrapped but anyone can do that. What are the odds these keys are legal, or more legal than $5 Windows product keys? I'm totally fine with running a $5 eBay Windows key at home even though I know it's a gray area of the TOS, that is my home system and I don't think Microsoft would even care, but that's Windows not Office.

How much does this affect your job? Unless your career would be set back by this I don't understand why you'd be concerned at all. Unless you're expected to install weird software on your home PC or something, you're just using the keys right? How are you personally exposed to this if it ends up being a mistake?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Ethically, I honestly don't really care, but they are requesting that I install the software, and I am not asking questions about where it was obtained. I only know I was handed a box with a shipping label that said eBay. I think personally this could not come back to me, if anything whoever made the decision to buy questionable software should get in trouble. Is it possible I could be responsible for knowingly installing illegal software? If so, I'm not even sure who enforces software license laws. I am only performing the installs, my defense would be I was given shrink wrapped boxes with COAs and presumably un-used keys. Except there was a key flagged as exceeding the maximum number of installs, a phone call to MS resolved it but it still seems funny.

I think at the end of the day you were handed some software and asked to install it. You didn't procure it, you aren't privy to any information that outright implicates you in it being against license. I'd say you're good!

doctorfrog posted:

Sure, it's just me hitting some buttons on sfxr a couple dozen times and outputting a .WAV for ones that I like. I like my computer to make lots of happy blippy bloopy noises. I may edit them sometime in the future with Audacity to add some fake stereo effects, but :effort:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgq5bvcxew5uemg/w10%20sounds.7z?dl=0

sfxr is included so you can fiddle with it too. It was used a bunch to generate sound files for indie games and it's a fun little tool. http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

Awesome, will take a look when I get home but I was secretly hoping the sounds were derived from your own body and not sfxr.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I have some old SWF videos that I'd like to make into standard supported video files - anyone have a recommendation for conversion? Googling finds lots of results, buttttt I don't trust random software.

I usually trust Handbrake for this kind of thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Oh nice I didn't know it did Shockwave. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

Oh sorry it might not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

poo poo, that sucks. I guess I'll have to look into the most non-committal way of dealing with one of those payment processors here in Belgium.

Just go to SA Mart like the replier mentioned, it's fine and easy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Well, I hope they check things, but cheques? I haven't ever used one, but then I don't live in the US

I'm Canadian also and I think they actually write it as "checks" for some reason, zut alors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can anyone recommend a good video editing program, preferably free, for me?

I have over 200 episodes of a tv show that I want to cut the intro and end credits from, and am looking for something that can be used to easily do lots of edits like that. Either as a batch (remove the final 40 seconds from every selected file in folder), or a shortcut that I can set up (open each file and press CTRL+P or whatever to remove the next 40 seconds), or something similar.

I've grabbed a couple random free ones so far, and they are all overly complicated and take way too many steps to do what I want.

I see that you figured out another way with the poster above but not sure if you tried Davinci Resolve, it's free and one of the best video editors for $0 for general use.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Terrible link, but the effect is very pronounced in this video:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeFLowKR/

What software can I achieve a similar stabilization with? I have input video that isn't panning quite smooth enough but I can easily crop in and should be able to smooth it out that way, focusing on the subject.

Davinci resolve can do this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Just looking for free, simple screenshot software to capture screenshots of games that isn't:
  • Steam or GOG Galaxy, or any other thing that is a front end for other things
  • OBS (I know this works, I just want something simpler)
  • the XBOX game bar thing
  • Something else that mainly does other things and only takes screenshots as a side gig

I'm using an old :filez: copy of FRAPS at the moment, just wondering if something else exists.

The absolute best thing for this and one of the pieces of software I use every day is ShareX. It's beyond a doubt exactly what you're looking for. The default setup actually uploads your screenshot to imgur and puts the link on your clipboard automatically but I'm sure you can have it just save locally. You get tons of options for what area you want to screenshot, you can apply things like blurs or mosaics before the screenshot finishes, etc. It's super sleek. Everyone should have it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Oh hey. I'd heard about this before, but I didn't know it could screenshot games. I'll check this out too. Being able to at least select a format and output directory is nice to have.

The only issue I ever have with it in screenshotting games is when CTRL does something in the game that you don't want screenshot (the default screenshot hotkey is CTRL-PrtScr). Otherwise yeah it's so fantastic, especially for sharing stuff in discords etc. It takes literally less than 2s to screenshot it, tab over to the chat, and paste it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a Plex/general server PC running Windows 10. It sometimes isn't on when I want to use it, maybe once a month. How/where can I see a log of why it turned off? I've heard of this kind of log before but don't know where to start. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh sorry I meant the whole system is off, not just Plex. I should have worded that better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Time for a wipe and windows reinstall my dude. Also your whole network might be compromised with a backdoor if they got access to the router.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's almost always best to use a router of your own and bridge the ISP modem into it. More secure, less of a target IMO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add to the above post, I've always been able to call my ISP and ask them to put the router into bridge mode and they know exactly what I'm talking about and do it immediately (remotely) and it's hassle free. I've tried to do it myself and it's possible but a lot of the settings are locked out to you because they don't want users trying to fix problems and causing bigger ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I have a checkbook and a prepaid debit card. I can deposit cash on the card for a $3 fee (up to $5000, money available immediately) or an emergency check reload up to $2500 + a 5% fee (funds available after about 15 minutes 24/7). I hate the fee, but it’s happened before that I need ~$50 or so on a Saturday night and I don’t find a % fee unmanageable for that amount. I don’t even know my bank account number or have any access to my money because my mother is my Representative Payee for my payments for the last 20-odd years and I asked her to set it up that way so I don’t give away my monthly check to homeless people anymore :D

At least I don’t actually go into a store an d buy milk and bread for >$5 and fill out a check in line at Kroger, though.

I appreciate this is probably not a made up situation but that sounds a lot like one? I guess if you didn't just give entire paycheques randomly to people you'd be considered responsible enough to have a normal banking situation or something but it feels like I fell on the wrong side of an unmedicated poster a little bit. I hope things improve for you my goon!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a win10 home server which isn't running any fancy NAS software or anything like that, just a small cheap PC with a big HDD that is accessed via RDP, running a plex server. Every now and then, maybe once every two months, I find it's turned off. I suspect it's windows update forcing a restart but then it doesn't automatically log in to the windows account and maybe shuts down after sitting in the login state for x hours? It doesn't seem to coincide to windows updates on my main PC all the time. When I spot check it with hwinfo64 it's never overheating, seems to be running pretty normally, don't really see anything concerning.

How do you check to see what it was that gave the last command to turn off/restart a PC? Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

AFAIK the only thing the login screen changes w/r/t power settings is turning off the screen after 1 minute, but I'm not totally sure on that point.

you can try powercfg /systempowerreport (needs elevated command prompt), but it doesn't always have reasons for full power cycles (it's more for sleep)

Aside from that you can look in "reliability history" (just type that in start) to see if the reboots are marked as unexpected. If so, what you might have is hardware problems causing reboots / power off. The fact that you find the PC turned fully off makes me suspect hardware, potentially PSU slowly fading out.

This is perfect - thanks so much. Interesting, looks like I have some investigation to do:

I had actually uninstalled Radeon because that server is using an AMD Athelon 5350 which I don't really think needs the separate driver suite (integrated AMD HD 8400). I wonder if having that was causing conflicts somewhere. Or maybe the integrated GPU just threw a random error as the system lost power or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

codo27 posted:

Whats the go to torrent client today? I always used qbittorrent for some years now (for how often I even download torrents) but it just got flagged by defender as having something malicious when I downloaded the latest version.

e: Deluge gave the same warning and apparently the cited threat is a false positive, also given by nicehash which is a mining program apparently which I find a tad concerning

I use deluge, a month ago Windows defender decided silently it's a BAD REPUTATION SOFTWARE and shadow banned the executable and I had to go in there to undo all that, turn that feature off, and reinstall deluge (on all three of my machines that have it).

I find it really great, I just wish it had a speed graph so I could take a look at it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What's wrong with screen-snip? It used to work every time, exactly how you'd expect. Now though, it randomly decides to not work and instead just randomly puts a yellow border around one or more of your monitors and you have to click the screen snip button 2-4 more times to actually get i to work. why did they add RNG to windows and how do we turn it off?

IMO ShareX is the best solution for this, it's incredible. If you're looking to try a replacement.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

None of the screenshots show it being integrated into whatever the side-windows menu is called, which is what I liked best about screensnip, would rather not have to have some program always running or go opening it whenever i need to take a quick screengrab of some stream before it's gone.

I also just kind of want to know wtf it's doing, feels truly randomized when it does what you click it for and when it does... nothing?

I totally get why you'd feel that way but sharex has been SO GOOD at what it does that I've had it running in my taskbar for several years now - it's earned it's place.

It also automatically uploads to imgur and puts a link on your clipboard so it's super good for sharing stuff with someone else. It also keeps a 'history' of stuff you've screenshot to some extent which I've found useful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone have delt with DisplayPort? I recently got new monitors and now they are connected via DP, and whenever my PC had turned off the monitor and they come back, all windows are resized and back on the main display. I'm guessing this is a bug where it "Disconnects" the displays in standby. I really want to fix this.

I don't think that's because of the displayport cable standard, that's something else going on. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

e: Looks like it totally is a displayport thing, sorry. I've never heard of this and I've had DP for years.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 19, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

lord funk posted:

Is there a mouse button app that can assign a click --> keystroke? I have to add about 10,000 punctuation marks to some documents, and I want to just use a mouse button to click --> add period, click --> add comma, etc..

Basically, I want it to put a period whenever I click somewhere.

I see your apple avatar but if you have a mouse with extra buttons on it you can generally bind these within the mouse's software (razer synapse, etc) to whatever you want. I rebind extra mouse buttons that normally control sensitivity to volume up/down instead, for example. You could easily bind these to whatever keystroke you like.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Weird midnight out of left field question.

I'm working on a Lenovo X1 Fold at the moment with Windows 11 installed.

For some reason I cannot move the Teams window. Meaning, when I start up teams, the video chat windows comes up and operates just fine functionally...

... except it's sitting in the middle of the screen. I can minimize. Maximize. Use all of the functions but I cannot for the life of me, grab the title bar and move the loving window! Or resize it!

I've reinstalled Windows 11 just to see if something got broken. No idea what the hell is going on here. It's *just* teams.

If I use the windows snap shortcuts then it will snap to 2/3rds of the screen but nothing less.

I'm pulling my hair out here.

Shift-right click the window on the taskbar, --> move might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

I generated a backup of a bunch of my old google files using something called "Google Takeout". The output was a 26 GB zip file, however Windows 10 for some reason cannot open it. The error text is
"Windows cannot open the folder.
The Compressed Folder
'C:\Users\User\Downloads\takeout-###########1507Z-001.zip' is invalid.
Anyone know what else I can try? I'd rather not have to download all 26 GB again.

Try WinRAR and then try 7zip and see how that goes .