Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yggsdrasil
Jan 6, 2013

Blurb3947 posted:

Steam, Spotify, iTunes, VLC, Firefox, Discord, Greenshot, Foxit Reader, Qbittorrent, WinDirStat, FileZilla, and Putty.

WinDirStat is fine but if it's a personal box, take a look at WizTree (also offered by Ninite) -- it directly parses the NTFS data, so it's much faster than WinDirStat to do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggsdrasil
Jan 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Recovery software's function is normally to 'undelete' something you accidently deleted or when you formatted a drive you wish you didn't. It's a software solution to what is ultimately a software 'problem'.

What you are describing here sounds like it might be a hardware issue. Sure, Windows can interact with it in some ways, but the shape of the problem doesn't leave me particularly optimistic that recovery software is going to do what you hope. If you want to take a swing at it though, I personally like TestDisk

TestDisk is my usual go-to as well. It's saved me more than once.