Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This might be a dumb question, but how do I make my trackpad mouse speed and actual mouse mouse speed two different settings in Windows 8.1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone laptop users wanna report on battery life, going from 8.1 to 10?

I'm seeing a mixed bag on reviews relating to battery life, some say its better, some say it's hugely worse.

Paranoid in taking the plunge since I rely on my XPS 13's ten hours for overseas flights a lot...

smoobles fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 2, 2015

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a Windows setting or third party app that will throttle a PC's download speed, on a schedule? I am doing a major amount of file syncing (yay work from home) that eats into the evenings and slows down all my other fun devices. I just wanna throttle this work PC in the evenings and then let it continue at full bandwidth overnight and the next morning.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Medullah posted:

You'd probably want to do that via your router. Most brands have QoS options to prioritize traffic by device.

Thanks for the tip!

Right after I posted I realized I could also use Task Scheduler to start and kill my Google Drive sync app at nighttime so it can hog all the internet when I'm asleep.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a script/setting in Windows 10 where I can automatically check "Do this for all current times" when prompted "Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?"

I'm moving thousands of files around for a work project and keep having to check this box, it'd save me hours if it happened automatically.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

TeraCopy if you want a gui, robocopy if you want to script it.

THANK YOU! This looks perfect.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm a graphic designer about to upgrade to a new PC, and I'm dreading searching and re-installing the dozens of fonts I've accumulated over the years.

Surely an app exists to do this? Anyone know of anything?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hadn't occurred to me to try that. Thanks!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a way in Windows to apply a right-click action (in my case, Add to "foldername.rar") to EVERY folder contained within search results? I gotta compress hundreds of subfolders to .rar, but I don't want them in a single .rar. Need to preserve the folder structure.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Not quite what I meant, lemme rephrase.

I have ~200 folders (and these are subfolders within various project folders) named "Elements", each containing thousands of files. When I search "Elements" in the top level folder, it shows me all of these.

I want to compress each "Elements" folder to its own individual RAR file, contained within the same parent folder the prior folder was, so I can then delete all of the Elements folders.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Klyith posted:

The easiest way to do this would be a basic script of some type.

Are all the "Elements" folders in relatively the same place, like they're subfolders of projects but all the projects are in one main folder (or maybe a separate drive)?

Yeah the folder structure between all 200 project folders is identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Klyith posted:

But are all the projects are in one top-level folder, "Projects" or "Work" or something?
eg
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\doodads\Elements\
etc

And you want to end up with:
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\doodads\Elements.rar

Does the Elements.rar file want to just have the files in it, or preserve the "Elements\" folder, or does it not matter?

It's more like

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements\
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements\

And I want

C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\AlphaProject\Elements.rar
C:\Users\Smoobles\Documents\Projects\BetaProject\Elements.rar

The Elements folders are simply a huge number of files, no subfolders in them.