Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Enjoying Windows 7 RC so far, upgraded it from Vista 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooah posted:

I had already gone back to Best Buy before you responded and got a Netgear WPN111NA, which worked fine for a while. Then I went away for about 24 hours and left my computer running, to come back and find that it had broken as well - the Network and Sharing Center was telling me that I was connected to the network, but had no Internet access. Downloaded the "newest" (October 2008) software/driver update from their website, which installed fine. However, as soon as I finished setting up the network connection with the wizard, the window disappeared, and there was no icon in my tray (though it was still running according to Task Manager). I have since killed the process and it's working ok (about an hour so far).

So, I guess something to add to the OP would be that the following drivers don't work with Windows 7 (x64):
Netgear driver 2.2.0.27 for WPN111.
Dynex driver for DX-BUSB.
IOgear GWU523 (although they claim they just don't have x64 drivers for it at all).

I have an issue with an Asus wireless USB dongle that seems to work fine under Win 7, but will not connect properly to my wireless network. However an old dodgey Netgear one will work and connect to my network. Still don't know why, and not even Ralink who do the chipset for the Asus have no answers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Played GTA4 on Win 7 x64 last night, seems to run a little better under Win 7 compared to Vista. Very pleased.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

darkforce898 posted:

Looks like there is a new build out 7127.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Build-7127-Is-Live-111552.shtml

No SHA or MD5 though

Suspicious, Microsoft seems to have not made any mention about it on their website nor in any emails.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

alkanphel posted:

I saw this in the OP

Q: Can I upgrade from the RC to Final?

A: No. In order to make sure that some random old beta file doesn't spectacularly crash something in an RTM install (which Microsoft will waste time and money trying to fix when they're called about it), a clean install will have to be performed.

Does this mean if I upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC, then I want to upgrade to the retail one, I have to do a clean install again?
One of the Windows developers showed how to hack a way so you can upgrade:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/07/delivering-a-quality-upgrade-experience.aspx

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My PC will no longer turn off from Windows when I press the power button :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

man thats gross posted:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

Thanks, I don't know why that option changed, but was turning off a week ago. Now back to normal :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

May I just say:

gently caress PUNKBUSTER

Screw you bastards and you "we will not support Win 7 till RTM" bullshit. No COD 4 for me :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

deltawing posted:

I presume Steam and all the games work fine with W7?

Pretty well. Punkbuster enabled games will not work online as Punkbuster will not work with Win 7 RC, and Punkbuster have no interest in fixing it until RTM

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain Novolin posted:

Every time I try to play CoD4 it kicks me for various API functions.
Same here. And a lot of other people have had this issue :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Reinstalled COD4, updated it, works ok in single player mode, but crashes if I try and run multiplayer :(

Punkbuster stuff didn't work. Running RC 64

You Am I fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 4, 2009

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I usually use Firefox, but the other day I was going to give IE a run. However it wont work. From any icon. Weird.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fishmech posted:

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).
I thought Aero only worked on DX9+ cards?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dominoes posted:

How are y'all using it? MSDN? I have it preordered. Is there any way I can use it now? (I got vista early through MSDN)
Finally got Technet subscription, going to be installing Ultimate 64bit RTM on the weekend.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Xenomorph posted:

I end up blanking my password before doing a lot of system changes in Linux or Mac OS X just to cut down on how annoying the prompts are (which just makes those "Mac vs PC" commercials that must more retarded considering Apple made fun of Vista's UAC prompts when it had a lot more annoying prompts in Mac OS X).
Linux desktops are making GBS threads for their prompts, but I have no where near the number of "security" prompts in OSX than what I have on my Windows 7 desktop.

But that all and said, once you have you settings done in both OSes, you usually don't get any prompts all that often.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Xenomorph posted:

My daughter's system has a "Safely remove hardware" item in the tray for her VIDEO CARD.

It is the system's only video card. Nothing onboard. Just a PCI-Express GeForce 9500 GT.

I clicked it once, and the screen went black. I didn't try pulling the card or re-inserting it. I figured that would be a BAD thing to do.
I laughed at that.

I haven't had any mysterious "remove hardware" items under Vista or Win7. Kinda feel like I am missing out there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jam2 posted:

How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?

Virtual CloneDrive - http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

It's free, works in Vista and Win7, I highly recommend it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cadex posted:

This article just popped up on the front page of the BBC News website. Is it really such a common problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

I was surprised to see it on the front page of the website which is usually where you find the most important, serious global stories, not news about Windows crashing.
I think I got caught out by that last night, but still unsure whether it is OS or hardware fault. I'd be in Windows, then everything would turn black, and the backlight on my G15 keyboard would switch off. Happened twice.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Varicelli posted:

I have around 500gb of data, mostly important. I also have 50gb of Steam games and don't want to download those again. The fault is seperate.

:S
As others have said, buy another HDD for Win 7. That's what I did. And if you are worried about your Steam games, you know there are Australian Steam Mirrors which most ISP wont charge you to use?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Keito posted:

Well there's InfraRecorder which is open source aka not shareware. Does everything I ever wanted from a burning app.
CDBurner XP is a good app, free and looks a little like the old Roxio burner software.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am setting up a file server for home and looking at installing Win 7 Pro x64 on it. Can Win 7 expand RAID 5 arrays without needing to rebuilding, or do you need to rebuild the RAID each time you put a HDD in?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

strwrsxprt posted:

And MSE is the only one I recommend anymore because I've had the exact opposite experience. :)

It's got a minimal footprint, it updates itself without requiring babysitting, and the only time I've ever noticed it was when I plugged in a buddy's flash drive with a virus on it. That's about all I ask for from my antivirus.
I agree, it is an awesome application, no nagging (unless the machine hasn't been run for a few days and hasn't had an update) and just works. A great job by Microsoft.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shaocaholica posted:

*Posted in the other windows thread but didn't get any answers*

Why do companies like Dell and HP still offer 32bit windows on their high end workstations and laptops? Ok, I guess the option should be there for the rare case that the customer needs some sort of rare compatibility issue but it seems that its way too easy for a consumer to choose 32bit windows on these systems. Its often the first and default choice. If the costs are the same, why bother keeping such a complex inventory system? Why set yourself up for future service calls from customers who inadvertently purchased 32bit windows and want/need to upgrade because of ram or 64bit only apps like CS5?

I can understand that MS needed to make a 32bit build for all the 32bit hardware that is fully capable of running Win7 (for which I am grateful) but for a PC company that designs and sells NEW PCs to have that option as default perplexes me.
A lot of businesses still run things, like Cisco VPN, which will not work, or is unreliable, under x64 versions of Windows.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Suniikaa posted:

Classic shell will let you do this, just install it and not the classic start menu part.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
There are still people who want the Win95 type Start Menus in Windows 7?

:psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fishmech posted:

There is no such thing as 32-bit ONLY keys, only 32-bit ONLY media. Simply find 64 bit media somewhere and use the key you already have.
Seriously, this should be like in 100 point font in the OP. So many people have asked or got confused over whether their key can be used with either 32 or 64bit Windows.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

c0burn posted:

This tool will make a bootable USK disk from any valid Windows 7 ISO

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

You can also do it manually

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx
Nice, saves having to stuff around with the command prompt.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rikatix posted:

they are computer speakers, I don't think the back of my TV has those inputs, checking out the manual now though as the TV is wall mounted and a bitch to take down.

The TV model is Panasonic TH-42PZ85U. The speakers are Creative GigaWorks s750

edit: just checked out the tv, I don't see anything that looks like a computer audio connection, maybe theres a splitter for these sorts of things?

You just need a female 3.5mm to 2x RCA male cable. Plenty of electronic stores will have them

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Downloading it from Technet at the moment. It's a 1.91GB ISO, supposedly covers Win 7 and Server 2008 both 32 and 64bit versions in the one ISO

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HP usually bundles in a tool that allows you to backup the current state of your system onto CD or DVD. Either that or check with your work, see if they have a corporate licence for Windows 7.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Australian site is:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-au/default.aspx

There is also MS Dreamspark, free developer/server tools:

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't think you are going to have enough room on a 64GB SSD for both Windows and games. Keep the games on a separate drive. You need free space on the system drive for the swap file and hibernation.