Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or an AMD issue, but I have a strange issue where if I try to draw in the Snipping Tool or some other Windows journaling or note taking app that allows you to write using your mouse, the graphics start glitching out with each movement. This thankfully doesn't affect other apps such as MS Paint, or god forbid, my actual art programs like Clip Studio Paint, but it is strange. I'm wondering if it's encoding issue specific to those certain Microsoft apps or not. I would record a screencapture of this, but Sharex doesn't seem to capture the glitchiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

down1nit posted:

A phone captured video of glitches may help

https://i.imgur.com/Dg3K3vY.mp4

I sped up the video to save on file size, but this is the issue I'm talking about.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Klyith posted:

I'd go with updating your GPU drivers, and if that doesn't help trying to use other apps -- grab greenshot or something instead of snipping tool.

The way that the glitching goes outside the window for the particular app says graphics driver problem to me, but the fact that it seems restricted to a few UWP apps means it's not some major pervasive incompatibility.

Ah I see. I still haven't figured out how to update the driver for my Beelink GTR7 mini PC, but yeah, it doesn't seem to be effecting everything, just a few specific Microsoft apps. Weird as hell. I wonder what makes Microsoft's version of drawing different enough than other program's style of drawing.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Computer viking posted:

e: Ok there's a bunch of old and new Beelink GTR7 models with different CPUs and embedded graphics, but no matter which one, just go here and click "Download windows drivers", it should automatically detect what you've got.

Thanks! In the past trying to find an update for the GTR7's drivers was a nightmare, but this time around it managed to update successfully.

Did it stop the glitchiness completely in the snipping tool? Not completely, but it did limit it by a surprising amount, so that's nice. I'll now be currently messing around the Radeon software to see if I can make some new tweaks and see if this will improve video playback and gaming in general.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Pardon if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but is there any software that would help me figure out what my computer was doing before it crashes? My computer has been experiencing a lot of worrying crashes lately when it's just idling doing nothing, or just with an internet browser open, and I'd like to know what the cause of it is.

The computer remains powered on, while turning off power to my peripherals like my RGB mouse and keyboard. I have to force restart the crashed PC by holding the power button until it reboots again.

Any recommendations for good crash monitoring software? I'm not sure if the issue is with a recent video driver update, a new Microsoft update, or if my computer can't handle having two monitors all of a sudden.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately I was not able find any dump files on my computer, despite it literally crashing a couple of minutes ago. I'm not able to find a %SystemRoot% folder either. I think I may have the same error this person did where it wouldn't write a dump too. I still have no idea what I'm doing.

I did try the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, and it proceeded fine, but it didn't give me any result once my PC restarted normally. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Typing in get-physicaldisk into Powershell says that my SSDs are healthy. Crystaldiskinfo says that they're both healthy again.

I've been looking things up in the Event Viewer, and I just can't find anything in particular that's the cause of the shut down. Of particular note is that there's a log stating that the previous shut down at [twenty minutes before it actually physically rebooted itself] was unexpected, and after the unclean reboot there's a log about how audit events have been dropped by the transport, which I assume is the computer saying that it wasn't able to create a dump file.

I'm tempted to blame this on an update to windows version 23H2, or if I got dust in my PC or not, but god knows. If it's a power supply issue, I've also turned off my second monitor to see if that may stop the crashes.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
The only settings I changed were turning into a complete memory dump, and trying to configure the dump file location to c:\, and then c:\Windows, and then finally that since none of them were creating .dmp files.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Alright, I've been doing a lot of stress testing my computer and I've realized that the issue is a Gigabyte M27Q P that I had. I had another monitor at 100 hertz, and this m27q p one at 160 hertz. I have no idea if the two of them being at different frame rates is what fried the m27q p monitor, but I'm mentioning it in case goons would have anything to say on the matter.

Part of my pc stress testing:

Using my old monitor with even a pen display as a secondary monitor, and leaving my computer running for three days straight with no sleep enabled? It's fine, no prob.

Unplugging the above setup and instead trying to use the m27q p monitor by its lonesome? It browned out my pc, and then the monitor just straight up died. Won't even turn on again.

So yeah, to the goons who said that the PC doesn't even know that it's crashing, and hence the lack of dump logs, you were correct!

Luckily I'm still within the return period for this monitor (I hope). I've never heard of an issue of a monitor crashing the entire computer setup, but the more you know~.

EDIT: I unplugged the monitor for 20 seconds, and replugged it in. It works now. Still stress testing it to see if it is defective or not.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 30, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Hey there, I just wanted to give credit to the folks to who suggested that maybe my computer crashing because of having two monitors plugged in was a graphics card error, or a ground fault/power supply issue. Nailed it on the head.

I can't really solve the graphics card issue nor the power supply because I have a mini PC, and those are problems that mostly customer service can only fix. :sweatdrop: I did however try to make sure that the power strip that I have things plugged into was better, and that all connections were well secured.

It no longer crashes!

It sometimes has weird effects with my screensaver...

https://i.imgur.com/nW7x0Qp.mp4

But it doesn't crash anymore at least, so hey all gucci. Thanks! :)

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

I Miss Snausages posted:

Intel integrated graphics for this device? Seen that random _ flashing issue a few times. Usually updating the latest intel driver on the Intel website fixes it.

Nah, it's a AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS processor. I thought I had updated it to the latest version already, but I can go ahead and check out if there's any new update of the driver on the website.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Yeah when I transferred my stuff to my new pc, I just copied over the fonts folder. I also copied over the user settings folder with the stuff that I've downloaded from the Clip Studio Paint asset store. All the multiple gigs of it. When I opened up the freshly installed Clip Studio Paint on my new pc, it was just as I had left it on my old pc, down to the color picker being set to orange like when I had last used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Wait, what app are you using? There are two different programs built into Windows 11 that allow for accessing a desktop remotely.