Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Microsoft got around to releasing Remote Desktop 7 updates for Vista and XP. Most of the updates are there, but the major ones like Aero glass, remote app task scheduler and such are still 7 only.

MS page with links to XP SP3, Vista 32 and 64 bit SP1/2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Xenomorph posted:

I recommend staying away from Upgrades and even upgrade licenses.

Upgrade installs can be a lot of trouble. Upgrade versions of an OS not only are not "full" licenses that can be easily transferred, but the only way to make them valid will invalidate your previous Windows license as well, preventing it from being used for another system.

Maybe if you did it the default way, but unless it's checking the key before formatting the partition via the manager on the CD it's not invalidating keys. I held out on installing until a week before the release, took the RTM, booted from the CD, formatted and installed without a key and put it in a week later after I received the upgrade CD and it went fine. I figured I would had to do the registry trick but didn't. I believe the invalidation bit came into being because, well yes, just because you upgraded does not mean that your old license is now usable elsewhere. It's a matter of legality, not that the old key is permanently banned.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
It's just a matter of choice. Personally I like clone drive because I feel its lighter. I don't care about the other formats that daemon tools supports, and times where some program balked because Daemon was installed VCD worked. I'm sure there's people out there who hate both and prefer MagicDisc as well. It's just a preference.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

LoonyLeif posted:

The key that I got from Digital River is apparently only an upgrade key. Once I get into Windows 7 Pro with a clean install from the upgrade media, I can validate?

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

One of those ways will take care of you. Either way you still have a valid license as you do have upgrade media.

Edit: see the link too, Pumpkinhead.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

m2pt5 posted:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

As expected, it's not much more than an extension of the old Quick Launch bar. Simply dropping a shortcut in there doesn't seem to work, but you'll find shortcuts for your pinned programs in there.

I think this is a good thing. Just about everyone started using quicklaunch as a standard icon location basically cluttering it for no reason. I could see programs installing a ebay taskbar icon to get a quick buck if they left it open as an example.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
If you just installed 7, and it didn't pick up your graphics card, then its going to default to non-aero, even if you immediately install a proper driver. You have to go into properties to choose the aero version of windows default. Some drivers will do this for you but ATI does not.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Have you tried displayfusion? The Pro version can do that I believe. At least it does allow you to transition wallpaper at intervals.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

kapinga posted:

You can use a upgrade media to make a clean install from 2000, XP, or a non supported version of Vista. You can only make an in place upgrade from a supported version of Vista from the same architecture.

To use upgrade media, you must have an activated version of 2000, XP, Vista, or 7 installed on your machine before installing the new version of 7, regardless if it is an in-place upgrade or a clean install.

I will give you that the language is confusing, but it's pretty much unavoidable.

I don't even think the activated portion is accurate. When I installed my upgrade version I booted from the DVD and used it to format the drive. Since it was around two weeks before I would actually received the key I installed without a key and it took it fine without the registry edits in the link. Granted the old OS was activated but unless it checks before formatting the partition all it's concerned about is if a windows OS was installed before.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I may have found one of the potential causes of the 'black screen of death' that some people claim to have after that Prevx scare, and to no surprise it may be Nvidia drivers.

I just finished setting up a Geforce 8300 mainboard with a Geforce 8500GT to enable geforce boost (all things I had sitting around the house) It seemed to go over well until I started installing software, then occasionally the entire screen would black out when a program triggered a elevation prompt. By black, I mean can't see poo poo, not just darkened. After this happening a couple of times I started troubleshooting and figured out that it has something to do with the initialization of the VGA port. If it goes black and you remove the VGA cable and then put it back then the display will return, often without aero, but clicking anywhere will bring it back. Remove the 8500GT and it works fine.

If anyone here is still having the problem, are you running cards in SLI? Try the trick and see if it works, and maybe we can actually see if this is real or not.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

mobn posted:

How can I get Stepmania running in XP mode? I need to run it in XP mode because there's no driver for my Playstation->USB adapter for Windows 7, and no working 64 bit driver at all. I was able to get it going in Vista 64 with the 64 bit XP driver, but that's not working on 7.

Anyway, I copied my whole Stepmania install over to my XP virtualmachine, but when I tried to launch it it said the drivers didn't support OpenGL or Direct3d. What do I do?

May have to use virtualbox instead which does support hardware acceleration of sound and video. I do not know it's performance however.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I recently installed Ultimate 64 bit on a Athlon II 630 on a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with 4gb of memory. Runs circles around my old Opteron 175, but one thing is bugging me about this system which is it takes almost a minute and a half to boot. I've disabled esata, raid, serial ports, usb 3 and haven't gained a second. Is this just a byproduct of x64, or am I just missing something else I can tweak to get this quicker?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Yep. It was ACPI. Disabled it and it's booting in 20 seconds. Thanks!

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Are there any apps that will move the close/maximise/minimise buttons to the left hand side? I've found one called LeftSider but it doesn't work with 7.

Windowblinds with an appropriate skin.

the posted:

If I'm listed as an administrator by Windows, why do I always have to be prompted to make changes to the system? Just, you know, loving install the poo poo I run.

Because you still aren't the official administrator. The real administrator account is hidden. If you really want to enable it, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html But realize that doing so will make a large part of UAC useless as it won't be able to halt anything.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I didn't know you could choose to not make an account when you installed Win7. I had to mak the one I'm on atm, and give it a password. UAC was annoying at first but if it's half as good at providing security against poo poo installing itself as the claims for it are, it's more than worth it.

I wouldn't mind being able to have a whitelist for specific programs. It's odd that stuff like MSN get a UAC pop-=up when I start them.

e: What's the difference between making your first account as an admin account, and finding the secret/hidden admin account to use it. That secret account completely bypasses stuff like UAC?

The way that UAC works is that the standard account that you make is basically a semi administrator account. When a UAC prompt is allowed what actually executes the transaction is the hidden administrator account, so when the OP made the hidden account the standard account he basically disabled UAC from being able to do anything. He might as well as turned it off.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

mobn posted:

The new corporate version of Symantec (Symantec endpoint protection) is actually really loving kickass and has saved us a lot of headaches with dumbass students.

As long as you are dealing with standard viruses then yes its fine. But it's heuristics suck for anything modified and I have yet to hear of it stopping any dangerous spyware. Only thing I can give them is that they are quick in updates once you give them a sample. Work wants to drop them so bad but there isn't really an alternative.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

See the unpatched Java vulnerability found by Tavis Ormandy. If you run as a normal user you might get prompted when it tries to run a program in your background. No prompt if you're an admin so that's real convenient I guess.

Update 20 is supposed to take care of it. Almost everyone has missed that it's available. Allegedly Tavis advised them of the issue in December and didn't release the info until it was patched last Wednesday.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

ibroxmassive posted:

Downloaded the installer for IE9 beta, Windows 7 is completely up to date, nothing left in the queue from Windows.

So why when I attempt to install it does it say 'IE9 does not support your Service Pack'?

I had the same issue. Ended up that the version of 7 I was running was one build behind the final version. check the following registry location and make sure your build number is 16385 (it's the second number after 7600)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion. Look for BuildLabEx

edit: for the record, I didn't try just changing the number, I just decided to buy a new harddrive I wanted anyways and do a fresh install with a image I made off a modified upgrade disc I had for another computer.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

fishmech posted:

The final version will require SP1 for install. Dunno if the beta is supposed to.

It does not. If you have the full version it will download the prerequisites, otherwise you need kb2028551, 2028560, 2120976 and 2259539 installed first.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Landerig posted:

How does the Sound recorder accessory not pick up any sound even with a working microphone attached?

I found a brand new decent microphone that I guess got thrown away because the previous owner couldn't get it out of the package or something. :rolleyes:

Computer detects it. Enabling "listening to this device" makes my voice come through the speakers, so the microphone works fine, but the drat sound recorder accessory picks up nothing, has no configuration options, and doesn't do poo poo.

And I mean doesn't do poo poo. Only saves as WMA, XP and earlier could save to WAV, MP3, and you could futz with codec options to make Wav's encoded in MP3 if you wanted to.

Is SNDREC32 buried somewhere in my install by any chance?

I do not know on changing the device, but there is a fix it troubleshooting wizard in help.

As for saving in WAV, you have to start it with a special parameter, such as
soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

papa horny michael posted:

I use it, but amn't happy with it's clunky UI and viewing modes.

You may like Xnview which is a bit more flexible and has a better UI. Unfortunately it does not properly support uuencoded directories (directories where some of the folders are in a foreign language) but there are early betas with that support in their forum.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Lblitzer posted:

I think my main drive is on its way out the door. Performance has been slipping lately, bootups much longer, programs lag, and I'd just like a bigger drive in there. Is there any way to backup all the important poo poo like windows files and import it to another disc rather than having to start clean?

Type in backup in the start menu, and choose create system image on the side.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just finished up building a new pc and am in the process of installing W7 64. I started the install just fine and turned my monitor off so I could go workout and burn some time. When I came back the pc wasn't recognizing my monitor. Is that normal during some parts of the install? It hasn't worked for around 8 minutes.

It worked fine after rebooting it manually. I guess the setup was finished.

There's a option in Windows 7 and Vista called TMM (Transient Multimon Manager) that's located in task scheduler that likely caused this. It's supposed to automatically adjust the screen for the appropriate resolution needed on the monitor, but often if the monitor is off when it checks, it just will ignore it until you reboot.

I used to go in and disable this option on my htpc as it never would enable the monitor if I forgot to turn the TV on before the computer, or it wasn't in the right mode to respond, but 7 seems to be much better at at least periodically checking to make sure a new monitor is available and initializing the screen. If it keeps happening its under Microsoft, windows, MobilePC in task scheduler.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I did try rebooting and that didn't do anything. I'm familiar with that feature in older versions of Windows, and with them it's pretty obvious what program is using them. Here not so much.

I pretty much am fighting my way through like ilkhan suggested, and figured out that if you double click on another folder, then drag the one I want to move, whatever it was that locked on the first folder lets go and binds the second one. I'm making it work, its just annoying.

Here is a screen print of it doing it with files that were legally acquired.

What was meant by AV or explorer is that when you select the files Antirirus or explorer is taking it's time inspecting the files but you are renaming or moving the file at the same time.

You can tell your AV to not scan files of that type, but the culprit is likely explorer's file preview feature. To make this change, click the Organize button on any folder, and choose Folder and Search Options from the menu. Click the View tab, and then check the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Does this mean I need to have the original non-OEM XP disc and the Win7 upgrade disc, and install XP then run the update? Or can I legally install the upgrade without installing XP first by double-installing as long as I own a non-OEM version of XP?

As long as the copy of XP you have is a retail copy you are legal, and you can install 7 upgrade any way you want. Be it, double install, install and changing a registry key, taking a disk from a old machine, formatting and installing 7 instead or whatever. The only thing he was saying was that you can't take a license from a old Dell and transfer it to a brand new machine, even if that old machine is out of service or is otherwise destroyed.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
if you don't have the disc, install it twice or change the registry key (google paul thurrott windows 7 upgrade if you don't know how) The only thing we are saying is that if your old XP copy is from a OEM machine this won't be legal if this concerns you.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I have a friend who didn't follow my instructions and make a backup first thing when he got his laptop, who now possibly has a virus that trashed his install. Since it then dawned on him to make the restore disks he then decided to make them and then format. Now the only thing he can get into is safe mode and all other accounts are locked.

anyhow, since he's 100 miles away and it's a blizzard, I rather just send him a iso of a OEM copy of windows, but unfortunately I don't have access to anything other than a upgrade copy with the ei.cfg file removed. Is there any way I can further modify this disc to make it OEM so he can properly format and reinstall?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I did some research and according to a MVP a retail copy can use a OEM key, only that this will force you to call in the number so I'm sending him a iso to try now. But now it looks like a hardware problem since he said that he can't get XP to install either.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
True. If it was me I wouldn't have tried, but it's all he has. Its under warranty still so I'm just going to try to get him to call Toshiba on it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/Sneak-Peek-A-Quick-Look-at-Windows-7-Service-Pack-1.aspx

Per Paul Thurott it's near final, but that's not it.

I've never seen them go from release to oem to the street this quickly anyways.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

rolleyes posted:

CoreAVC supports CUDA so actually it'll still be more efficient for the parts which don't run on the graphics card, and I'm willing to bet their graphics-card assisted implementation is better than most.

Depends on the content. Sometimes it's better than DXVA, other times it's not. The only real advantage it has is that sometimes it can accelerate content that's incompatible for DXVA acceleration, but that rarely happens these days now that more people are using truly compliant versions of x264 to encode.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

EoRaptor posted:

I eventually installed the currently released version. Nothing has blown up, become non-genuine or grown an evaluation date.

I can't say if it fixed anything, because I wasn't having any problems. If it turns out to be an early or otherwise non-useful release, that's fine, I was planning on a reinstall when I switch to an SSD anyway, so anything that happens is fine by me.

You won't really know until months from now, probably when IE9 is released. I know I was burned by that build of 7 that everyone reported to be the final, but was actually two or three builds behind what the final was. I got updates for months, but slowly I stopped receiving them but I didn't think anything of it. The only time it affected me was when IE9 beta was released and it wouldn't install because it was a unknown version of windows.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Factory Factory posted:

http://www.codenamewindows.com/?p=1481

New stuff, but nothing killer-diller for your average Joe. I think just about the only new feature for home desktop types is OS-level support for the AVX instructions on Sandy Bridge, which means some day there may be software that uses those.

Reading up on how AVX is basically useless for speeding up x264 just makes me think this will end up like badaboom or AMD's video encoding technology, ok if you are in a pinch but worthless for people looking for quality. Hell, the way some of them talk x264 could be tweaked to be even faster than AVX if you threw quality to the wind like it does.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Tellara posted:

Yep, and the development of IE9 resulted in a bunch of improvements to the Windows 7 graphics subsystem, too. If you recall, installing the beta required you to install several hotfixes for Windows 7 that touched the DWM among other things.

IE9 isn't using secret APIs to do its hardware acceleration (this would be an antitrust violation). So everyone can do the same thing and benefit.

Microsoft still has some advantages however. Look at some of the benchmarks they have added to the testdrive site, even with their competitors using hardware acceleration IE9 is still worlds faster. This is probably what the IEblog was talking about that their acceleration is complete while Firefox's was still partial. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/09/10/the-architecture-of-full-hardware-acceleration-of-all-web-page-content.aspx

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

HenryEx posted:

Hey there. Using Win7 for a month by now and i'm pretty happy with it. Went for the 64 bit edition for the first time. Pretty gravy, so far. Just recently hit some dead ends that made me wish for a 32 bit OS again. All other PCs with 32 bit OSes nearby are either broken or off-limits to me, though.

Now, i read a little about dual-booting and VHDs and things, which sounds pretty awesome. Downloaded EasyBCD, too. I'd need to slightly reformat my pretty stuffed HD, though, so i'll ask to be sure before i undertake that task.

I heard you can activate both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 with one key, which would be pretty swanky. Most articles i found were form the Win7 beta phase, though. So is it still possible to get both 32 and 64 bit running on your PC with dualboot and one license? I planned on stuffing 32 bit into a Virtual HD to be placed on my current C drive, good/bad idea?

By activating with one key, they mean your key can activate a single 32-bit or 64-bit version, not that you can run a 64-bit os, and use the same key for a 32-bit machine or a 32-bit vm on the same hardware.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Karthe posted:

Is anyone else having issues installing Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7? Whenever I try to install it via Windows Update or the dedicated installer, it errors out with an unhelpful Code 3712 error. I did install IE9 RC a few months ago, but there doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall it - I'm guessing that's not the issue, but I figured I'd mention it nonetheless.

In add remove programs click view installed updates on the sidebar and you'll IE9 in the list. That will probably take care of your problem.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there a utility to clean up the service pack rollback files like we had on Vista's compcln.exe?

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded will cleanup the backup files, but keep in mind you won't be able to uninstall once you've ran it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
But there was a legit amount of programs that would have worked fine otherwise that refused to run or install on Vista just because it saw Windows 6.0 instead of 5.1. Yes you can do things like mess with compatibility to make it work but stuff like that is why a lot of people still think that Vista wasn't compatible with anything. UAC alone should be enough to show how people will ignore what Microsoft tells them on how things should be done until it's well too late.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

GreenNight posted:

DVD's are less likely to die.

Depends on the quality of the disc. If you go cheap you may not get two years, even if you do the normal archiving precautions.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

quadratic posted:

Is there any reason to expect problems installing IE9 before SP1?

Shouldn't be. You don't even have to get rid of the beta or RC before installing the final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

flink posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on with my install of Windows 7, but I'm getting some annoying issues.

Firstly, SP1 doesn't show up for me in Windows Update. I then downloaded the standalone installer in the first post and the installer says that "Service Pack 1 setup can't identify the version of Windows on this computer".

As far as I can tell, I have a normal version of Windows 7 Professional. I got the (validated) key from digitalriver during the student sale. The SP1 installer suggests running the System Update Readiness Tool, which I did (it installed one hotfix). Didn't seem to fix the issue though; still can't identify my version of Windows.

Secondly, .NET 4.0 is not installing properly. I have a 4.0 program that I need installed (Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector) and it keeps telling me that I need 4.0.30319 installed, even though my Program Features page in the Control Panel says I have that version.

I've tried repairing it, uninstalling and reinstalling, reinstalling using the standalone installer, and using the .net cleanup tool after an uninstall, all to no avail. There is a .net verification tool that I've used and that does correctly tell me that verification of the 4.0 install fails.

I really haven't found any good answers for either of these problems, and while there is a "fix" for the .NET problem (flatten and reinstall), I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

Could you install ie9? If not, then chances are the version of windows you have isn't the final build. I ran into that a while back when the first preview of 9 came out