Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Harking back to a older question about partitions: I have a 20gb primary partition and the rest of my 500gb drive is expanded into a larger data partition. I want to use gparted to decrease my ~400 some odd gb one by about 30gb then transfer that to my 20gb partition.

It seems easy enough to shave the smaller one down, but Im warry about how to combine that to my existing 20gb C:/ partition.

Since my D: partition has crap on it, im pretty sure it might royally gently caress it up if i take that data from the start point, but Im not sure if its wise to add it from the end of the larger partition.

If its a huge issue I could just back up my whole data partition and kill everything, but i'd rather not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
So here is where im at:

Click here for the full 1222x766 image.

I've got the free space to extend into but the extend option is grayed out? I tried using gparted, but it also won't allow me to expand C: into that unallocated space either.

Not really sure what I can do and I need that space. :/

On the plus side I have to say win 7 runs pretty great, aside from random scary moments that result in just seeing a blank black screen with a mouse cursor.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

fishmech posted:

Hiren's Boot CD has a version of PartitionMagic that runs off CD in DOS which the CD will start your computer in: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Use that to resize your partitions.

This didn't really work. I booted it up and it threw a slew of device driver errors around, then locked up my keyboard input.

Im kinda at my wits end here, nothing I've tried can extend my primary partition into the free space on my extended partition. I even tried moving my page file over to the D: partition as some places have said you can't extend a primary partition if it has a page file on it.

Still open to any ideas. :(

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Yeah I use imgburn and its just fine, cdburnerxp didn't see my drive using 64 bit.

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you burned a corrupted image or the image got corrupted in the burn process.

I think its alright it just started doing that when I tried to load partition magic. Anyway I think I found an answer which is you can't extend the primary partition into unallocated space of the extended partition apparently.

I guess all I can do is nuke my data partition then unallocate it and extend from there, then remake it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

kapinga posted:

Can you shrink the extended partition? I haven't tried, but its worth a shot before you remove your data.

Yeah, I have 30gb of 'free space' on my extended and I used gparted to move it left so its sequentially beside my primary, but the options greyed out. gparted couldn't extend it either it sees the primary and extended partitions as two seperate things.

edit: and to further answer that I can shrink and extend with the extended partitions free space too, so I guess the only option is to kill it and start over. :/

hobb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 20, 2009

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Nah that doesn't work. I've tried all 3 vista compatiblity settings to install those drivers for my G11 and it keeps giving the popup about not being compatible with this OS.

edit: re: logitech gamepanel install thing..

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Compatability mode + run as admin + (make sure you have the right vista drivers, x64 or x86) and it should work. It has for me and a couple others in the thread with the issue

That did it, thanks.

Arsten posted:

If you are trying to extend the primary partition into an extended partition, it will never work. An extended partition is a container for more partitions. Traditionally, you could only have four primary partitions. An extended partition through the partition information to another part of the drive so you could have as many as you desired. You will need to resize the extended partition down so that the free space isn't allocated to the extended partition itself.

Partition Magic used to do this (Haven't used Partition Magic since it was owned by Power Quest). And i know GParted and parted can, as well.

The problem I guess is everything I've read said you can't do this without totally nuking the extended and starting over. I've puttered around with gparted and can't find anyway to otherwise get the free space unallocated from the extended partition.

hobb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 21, 2009

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Before I start piling my stuff back on here, I just want to make sure its okay that my 'extended' partition reformatted as a primary for whatever reason.

Click here for the full 1276x788 image.

Since nothings actually on there yet it's not a problem to use something else to maybe turn it back into extended. I have no plans to actually seperate that into anymore partitions if thats the only caveat between them.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

kri kri posted:

Speaking of this, my monitor always resets itself to 59 hertz. How can I fix this so it stays at 60?

I wonder if this is just a weird typo. I have a different monitor and nvidia graphics card and it also gets stuck on 59hz.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
So I randomly got a weird error tonight. I'm on a site that requires java and it says I don't actually have the java plugin installed.. strange cause I do and it was working fine before. So I try to reinstall it and the installer gives an error 1723: Missing DLL or some poo poo.

It gives the same error when I try to uninstall it as well. I have no idea why java would randomly break like this. I haven't actually messed with anything prior to it doing this.

edit: alright I used the windows installer cleanup util to remove java that way, now I get this when i click yes:

:pwn:

edit^2: nm I fixed it, I missed a registry entry, after deleting that it reinstalled alright.

hobb fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 23, 2009

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Baggins posted:

I'm running Avast! without any issues so far.

Avira Antivir also seems to be puttering along fine.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Hamelin posted:

Well, it wasn't working for anything for me before, not even the java tester on the java website. It does now.

I had this problem as well with java not working in firefox. I didn't know about that fix so I just moved over any netscape related plugins from the java /bin/ folder over to firefox/plugins/ and that seemed to have also fixed it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Does anyone have problems with the flat panel scaling options with a nvidia graphics card? When I try to tic any of the other radio buttons listed, after I hit apply it always reverts back to use my displays built-in scaling.

I'm using the 185.85 drivers and a 7950 GX2.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
My WD5000AAKS 500GB 16MB cache 7200rpm drive gets a 5.9, So I dunno. I don't really hold any appreciable stock in what 'experience index' really entails anyways.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Anyone know if 7137 fixes the 59hz thing, or the scaling radio button selections not sticking?

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

NIGARS posted:

I'm loving Windows 7 so far but hardware support is irritating me. I have two nice sound cards at my disposal, an X-Fi XtremeGamer and a Chaintech AV-710 and both of them are buggy and crashy, halving frame rates in games with their huge CPU usage. I'll give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt with the X-Fi seeing I'm using an nForce4 chipset which is known to have issues with it, but there's no reason for the Chaintech card to not work. Neither the Windows Update drivers or the latest Via Vinyl Vista-64 drivers are much good. I'm going to have to stick a lovely old CMedia card in there next and if that doesn't work I loving give up. I refuse to use motherboard sound.

Both of these cards work fabulously in Linux.

That seems weird. I'm using a X-Fi extremegamer fatal1ty, and it seems fine with I believe the win 7 beta driver from creative. Scared the poo poo out of me to use a beta driver from them, since their fully released stuff could be considered as much, but it seems alright. One thing that did bug me was theres no headphone preset in the windows 7 sound control panel, so I have that set to stereo and set to headphones in the creative audio control panel.

However I don't have a nForce board either.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thanks on the audio stuff, about the voip and such.

Lower pricing on 7 seems like a great idea to me. Most people don't bother to upgrade because OS' are so much, and if yours is working, why bother? But at $50 or $100, thats way more reasonable, for what is inarguably better than XP, which many are using. I'm excited about actually being able to afford it when it comes out.

What type of feature differences are we looking at between 7 ultimate, and say home premium? And professional premium? Is it anything a standard user is going to care about?

The OP has the general differences, but I don't think ultimate has anything compelling your average user would miss with even home premium. I do think pro would be more worth it though since its apparently the 'lowest' version to support the XP mode virtual machine thing.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I was on the fence about UAC's usefulness compared to my brash confidence of 'i don't get viruses :smug:', Then virut raped my XP install like a thai hooker, and I have to say I welcome my new install of win 7's barrage of UAC prompts..

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I have a question that might have been answered from back when Vista first came out, but since I skipped that and went to win 7 from XP..

I noticed that aero forces vsync to on for the accelerated desktop stuff. This however seems to extend to games played in windowed, even though I have vsync set to 'force off' in the nvidia control panel.

The only way Ive found to disable the desktop vsync is to uncheck, 'use desktop composition' but that also disables glass and maybe some other aero peformance enhancements I'm unaware of.

My question is can you disable the aero vsync, but keep glass and all the fancy effects? It's not a big deal to uncheck that setting in performance options, but I'd rather have to cut that step out if it can just be disabled another way.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I dunno how close to :filez: this is, but is there any point to installng the RTM? I'm assuming the RC keys won't work with it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Ive been wanting to upgrade to a 72xx build myself, but I read that the rc keys aren't compatible with a few of them. If thats not the case I'll actually considering doing it sometime as Ive had some niggling issues with the rc thats not enough to warrant uninstalling it, but they do bug me.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
That was one of my favorite weird nerd sperge things to do with new versions of windows. I kind of liked messing around with the undercarrages of like.. windows 2000 when I first changed over to it from 98. Even 95 - 98 had some extra crap to fiddle with.

Win 7 is just surprisingly self automated and theres really not a lot of fluff to tinker with as much as before. However I do like not having to gently caress around with random driver packages after installs, or using hack methods to install simple things like SATA drivers that I had to do on a XP reinstall. I think all of my stuff save for my X-Fi was supported with the out-of-box drivers.

I do get a weird black screen with just a cursor on a fresh install with the RC. I don't think the stock microsoft nvidia drivers play nicely with my 7950 GX2, but then again I've had a bunch of weird problems with this card (cards?) in XP too.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Meroin posted:

I sort of like how Win7 formats explorer windows differently for Music/Pictures/Documents by, for example, listing Artist and Album columns for Music and filesize for Documents. However, I'd be thrilled if I could change the defaults for each archetype because, for music at least, filesize and length are much more important to me than Album and Track Name (I already know those because of the folder I opened and the file name).

I can change these manually for each and every folder, but is there a way to tell Explorer to format all Music type folders a certain way? Or to just not autodetect the archetype at all?

I think it works that way already. If you hit apply all in a folder full of mp3s it'll apply that style to all folders with mp3's.

Maybe. Ive never actually tried it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
If your using a 'flexijack' for it, make sure the radio button in the creative control panel is set to mic/line in, is all I can think of right now.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
To those of you running the RTM, does it restore fixed aspect gaming of nvidia cards, that was mysteriously broken again in the RC?

It worked fine in Vista, but they backtracked a bit and it stopped working in the RC apparently. I'm just wondering if they got around to fixing it, that might actually get me to install it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

redeyes posted:

Just load the Vista drivers that worked for you. Should fix the issue.

Nah its definitely something with the RC, cause the same exact version that will work in Vista doesn't in 7100. I was mostly just wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it worked normally in the RTM. If not it's not a huge deal I don't do a lot of fullscreen gaming that can't otherwise be cobbled to work widescreen.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Does anyone know if 'windows media player network sharing service' is used for anything if I never use windows media player? This service keeps popping up in my list and will randomly shoot my cpu usage up to ~40% usage for a second every few minutes or so.

I eventually just set it to disabled because I would stop it and it would just restart itself a few minutes later. It's rather annoying.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I still like Windows 2000.

win2000 was pretty rad I thought, then again I can recall reading an article that said it was suppose to do away with needing to reboot on driver installs, and here I am 10 years later, and I've yet to install anything that hasn't made me reboot. Not that its a huge issue, I just think it was a weird thing to boast about in a review.

Back on topic, I hope after I'm done moving house in a week I'll have money to grab this and replace the RC version. Been running the RC since it came out and have had 0 issues with it, so I'd say I'm definitely sold.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Zarithas posted:

I've got an ATI 4870 and a Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeGamer sound card. I've got 2 questions:

A. Are there any known driver issues with either of those?
B. Is it worth the money to upgrade? I currently have Vista and I don't really have any complaints or issues. Is the upgrade easy, and is the difference noticable and good?

I have the xtremegamer fatal1ty and whatever creatives win7 x-fi drivers are have been working just fine since I installed the RC back in june or whenever.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Yaos posted:

They broke image scaling and the mouse cursor randomly grows in size on some people's computers.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=117430&enterthread=y
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=120766&enterthread=y

I think scaling issues might be purely win 7's fault, since its broken for me on a nvidia card as well. But this same exact driver version in vista allows scaling to work perfectly fine. I never got scaling to work in XP either, so I don't know if they just broke it again in 7 or what.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Tivac posted:

Yes & it drives me more than a little insane as well.

It seems like for a lot of .exe's at least for me, they default to 'open in windows media center' for that dialogue. I'm not sure how it grabs icons but its certainly messed up.

I think maybe it can only use icons from programs set in the 'default programs' menu.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Grawl posted:

In the end I just formatted the complete hard drive, and made that a new partition (300GB for Windows 7, it must be happy).

e: now, my videos are all very pixelated. I have the latest video drivers, latest ffdshow, latest classic player and the latest codecs (using the shark007 codecs)

Yeah I had the same exact issue when I was installing 7, and ended up totally reformatting as well. The problem is regardless of what program you use, you can't merge a primary partition and a extended partition. Which is what you had going on there. Annoying as gently caress really.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Hung Yuri posted:

Is nvidia being stupid lately? My monitor's max refresh at 1920x1200 is 60hz, but I can only set it to 59hz and whenever I try to set it, it resets to 59hz.

Same with nvidia scaling instead of monitor scaling. Any way to force this?

The 59hz thing and broken scaling has been around since at least the RC as far as I'm aware, and I don't know of anyway to fix it.

Someone once mentioned to try different driver versions, but its definitely win 7 doing it, I can have it working fine in vista, and use the same exact driver in 7 and it will be broken.

Must be some kind of recessive gene in windows versions, it was broken in XP, worked in vista, now its broken in 7 again, and I doubt they'll ever fix it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I get the black screen o death every fresh install. I just figured it was something to do with my graphics card drivers that come WITH windows being not good.

I just fire up safemode, which seems to be fine, and then install downloaded drivers and its all good after that. I think some of the early beta versions of win 7 drivers used to do it too. Nvidia geforce 7950 gx2 is the card.

edit: I'm still using the RC, AND I recall reporting this more than once, AND its hilarious that its still in the finished version.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Horseface posted:

I just upgraded to 7, reinstalled my nvidia drivers, blah blah blah...only now when I go into the nvidia control panel the digital vibrance slider is greyed out and untouchable. Without that tweak my system looks like dull petrified poo poo so I'd really like to fix it. Any ideas?

It's a GeForce 7600 GT if it matters.

Are you using the latest drivers? I have a 7950 gx2 and I could use that slider a driver version back or so, but I noticed its unselectable in the most recent ones. It's just something I've gotten used to really, nvidia seems to break poo poo every other driver release a lot these days.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Xanin posted:

Is there any way to enable autologon? Everything I search for basically tells me to disable the password. I'm positive on my last installation (my hard drive failed so had to install again) I was logging in automatically.

Conversely this will also work: http://on10.net/blogs/sarahintampa/Tip-Auto-Login-Your-Windows-7-User-Account/

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
EVR custom in MPC-HC actually crashes constantly for me, so I have to use whatever I used to use before which I think is VMR9 renderless. Regular EVR also crashes, but not as much.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I'd actually like and use the games explorer if pinning it didn't just pin the app to windows explorers jumplist. Having it be its own icon and having a fully useable jumplist of recently played games, like what steam does now, would let me replace my 'shortcut to a folder of games shortcuts' link on my taskbar that I've been using for the same functionality for the past 9 or 10 years.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Zorilla posted:

I didn't see this answered in the last page. I think you have to name the image folder.jpg to get Explorer to display the icon with your desired single image inside the folder instead of a heterogeneous set of files. I have no idea if this works consistently two or more folder levels up though.

Since I've been having similar issues with the libraries music folders' album views, I'm wondering if there's any specific requirements for folder.jpg files. I have a 'folder.jpg' in everyone of my album folders, but their all obviously random file sizes, some big, some small, yet only a handful of my albums art is displayed in the libraries views.

No real idea whats up I've tried re-adding the music folders and refreshing and nothing seems to make them show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

raezr posted:

So you're making folder.jpgs yourself? This can possibly be a bad idea since Windows considers it to be a system file and will overwrite them if it feels like it. I keep my album art embedded (mainly so it displays on my iPod) and if I just open Media Player then it generates the folder.jpgs and thumbnail automatically, which works most of the time (except for a couple of times like the example I posted about earlier). If you want to make them yourself I think Windows' automatically generated ones are 200x200 jpegs, so I guess that's the "standard."

Must be something in the way windows 7 renders/uses the folder.jpg's then, since I've been doing this since windows XP and only when using the librarys views is when I've noticed this problem. As far as I can tell they render fine with just large folder icons in the base music folder if I browse to it.