Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

FistLips posted:

Could you - and anyone else using Win7 right now for that matter - please tell me what programs aren't working?

I've been using Win7 on 2 computers at work (one desktop, one laptop) and on my HTPC/gaming PC at home, and I still haven't found any programs that won't work (with a bit of tweaking). Said tweaking usually involves either running in administrator mode (sometimes, first start in admin mode is enough), disabling aero, or hunting down 64 bit patches/versions from the vendors. I have not tried the WinXp mode yet, as it hasn't been necessary. I did experience some problems with the IE8 version that came with Win7, that caused other applications that used browser functions to stop working. This was solved by removing IE from Windows (yes it's possible now) and using Chrome (which also has been working great after the last updates).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is there anything special I need to do to show thumbnails in a folder? IrfanView is my default program for picture extensions. Folder listing view is set to "Content"

Edit: Turning on the preview pane only shows the irfanview icon.

Even my Libraries\Pictures folder doesn't show them:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zapateria fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 2, 2009

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

@KJ&AR@ posted:

Add to it the fact Win7 64 bit doesn't play nice with the SPDIF output on my soundcard or my IR remote control yet (It kills the back and info buttons in Mediaportal), and I'm left with a crippled HTPC for the time being.

What soundcard? I've gotten SPDIF to work on my built in Realtek after trying out a few different driver versions (I believe 2.09 was the one I ended up with). Then after I upgraded to 7100 and CCC 9.5 with the HDMI Audio Driver I got DTS and DD out via HDMI so now everything is perfect on my "HTPC" (I just use Zoom player with default 2nd monitor which is my plasma, and sound out on HDMI).

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times, but if you install the Windows 7 Ultimate version, is it possible to use a Volume License Key (for Enterprise) since it's practically the same version?

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is anyone else unable to install Windows 7 With SP1 on VMware? When I boot and start the install, it says it can't find device drivers and to insert CD. I would paste the error message but it's in Norwegian so I don't know if it will help.

Using this as source: SW_DVD5_SA_Win_Ent_7w_SP1_64BIT_Norwegian_MLF_X17-27881.ISO

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Great, I just came in at work and everyone's computer is halted with "critical error applying update 202 of 118214" because they started installing Windows SP1.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is there a Remote Desktop management software that doesn't totally suck?

We bought Remote Desktop Manager Enterprise at work, and it takes, no kidding, 30 seconds to start, and the UI looks like some old person has clicked every "install this toolbar?" ad ever invented.

I've used Terminals, but I installed the last version (3.4) and it is very buggy, menu items disappear, it hangs when exiting etc.

Then I tried mRemoteNG which looks neat, but the Active Directory import bugs out after 10 computers.

What do you guys use?

I'm looking for something minimal, with 2-3 different saved credentials, a "connect to: " field where I can enter a computername and if possible, tabbed windows for several sessions. SSH support is neat but not a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

What would be the best way to achieve an alias for powershell.exe so I can just type win-R->ps and open powershell?

Have you considered putting it on the taskbar so you can use win+{n}?