Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003
rm -rf /bin/laden error: /bin/laden not found
I keep seeing people refer to the fact that x64bit versions of Windows Vista/7 cannot install unsigned drivers, yet when I try using hacked drivers for my scanner, windows will throw a warning, but will still continue with the install. Am I misunderstanding what everyone is talking about?

(I love Windows7's snipping tool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

What is the source of the drivers?

The original drivers were released by epson and are for a newer scanner. Since the models were so similar, someone was able to modify the .inf to get it to work with my scanner. I found them via a google search months ago and they've worked consistently in both vista x64 and 7.

Being that these are a modified version of a signed driver, perhaps it is the complete lack of a signature that will cause Windows to refuse them and not just an invalid (but present) signature?

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003

Parachute Underwear posted:

I can't wait till installers start adding a "Pin to Taskbar" option under "Create shortcut on Desktop/Start Menu".

Not possible. Microsoft only allows users to manually add items to the superbar by design.

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003

Eddain posted:

It sounded like the hard drive was constantly being accessed/read

Vista/7 will defragment the disk automatically when the computer is idle.