Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Disgustipated posted:

No, Home Premium and Professional will be widely available, while Enterprise and Ultimate (they are essentially the same thing) will only be available to OEMs, with Ultimate occasionally available to consumers during promotional periods.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Ultimate will also be available via Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Cuervo posted:

I am trying to determine whether I installed the two sticks of RAM properly in my computer so that I am making use of the dual-channel feature. From this article, it seems that the startup screen should display the necessary information. Unfortunately my computer flashes by the screen too quickly so that I cannot see if I do have the dual-channel enabled. Is there any other way of checking?

CPU-Z will tell you.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jose Cuervo posted:

Under the Memory tab, if the Channels # is Single, I do not have dual-channel enabled right?

Right.

Are both your memory sticks identical? Were they purchased as a matched pair?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh, well, if you used to HACK then...

:rolleyes:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

The only company I know of right now that flat-out doesn't support 64-bit is Cisco, although odds are good their VPN software should work with XP Mode now (can anyone confirm this?)

I have the Cisco VPN client installed in my XP Mode. It connects and works, but only for applications running in XP Mode.

I use it for some work stuff, but I run IE7 in XP mode, as well as Putty or any other application I need to access resources through the VPN.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dyscrasia posted:

It runs fine in DOSBox (assuming the DOS version). If DOSBox works in 7, it should be fine. They say DOSBox is 95% compatible with Vista 32 and 64.

I haven't updated to the final version, but DOSBox runs fine for what I've been using it for in the 7 RC.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

I upgraded to Windows 7 today, but now IRC refuses to connect to any server, in both Pidgin and miRC. Do I need to do something, or is it just a wacky malfunction? I can't find any info on Google about this.

Have you tried disabling the Windows firewall?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

The new corporate version of Symantec (Symantec endpoint protection) is actually really loving kickass and has saved us a lot of headaches with dumbass students.

You having any issues installing it on Windows 7 machines? We've been testing SEP11 MR5 on Win7 endpoints for a while, and it won't install unless you install an older version of liveupdate first.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

We're using the same, and we do have to do some extra hoops to get it going on Windows 7. We're a small school though so this isn't a huge inconvenience for us, we only end up having to help people with it about three times a day.

Yeah, it hasn't been an issue since there are only a handful of machines running 7 right now.

There are, however, over 15,000 machines running XP.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

This is great, thanks for the heads-up!

Does this (or something similar) work on Vista?

There are similar patches for XP and Vista.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

A lot of businesses still run things, like Cisco VPN, which will not work, or is unreliable, under x64 versions of Windows.

They've got a Cisco VPN client for x64 systems now. The coworkers that I have that use it say it's been reliable. I use Shrew Soft's VPN client on my x64 home system with zero problems.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

The newer "AnyConnect" client is 64-bit, and is only supported by certain Cisco VPN devices.

The older program is 32-bit only. Cisco has been giving the finger to their customers for years. 64-bit Windows came out 7 years ago or something, and Cisco just sits on their rear end, saying "gently caress YOU" to anyone that gave them thousands of $$$ for their VPN equipment.

"You just spent thousands on our poo poo? Well, the joke's on you. We ain't supporting it. Time to buy a different one."

Shrew Soft VPN all the way. Some unknown company is making a 64-bit client that works with Cisco's hardware, and they've released it free. What does that tell you about Cisco?

My last employer had enough of that poo poo and just started buying SonicWall devices instead of Cisco. We shouldn't have to scour the Internet looking for 3rd party and freeware VPN solutions simply because some multi-billion-dollar company wants to nickel and dime the gently caress out of us by refusing to support existing hardware.

No, Cicso has their older VPN client out for x64 machines now. I don't know if you have a CCO account or not, so here's a screenshot:

Yes, it took them too long to release it, but it's out there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

That is amazing. What was it, 7 years of development?

I'll try to take a look at it later.

I'm convinced it was more of a marketing than a technical reason as to why it took so long. Trying to push people to purchase SSL VPN upgrades.