Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, VNC and RDP are different protocols?
I think the issue you are experiencing is that MacRDP and Remmina have both VNC and RDP clients baked into one software and that's why you can connect to the Ubuntu machine using VNC. The Remote Desktop Connection in Windows only supports the Remote Desktop Protocol and it can only be used to connect to other Windows computers and servers. Unless you install xrdp to the Ubuntu machine.

Normally you would use VNC, NX or X windowing to connect to Linux computers. Be aware, that by default VNC is unsecured connection and you should only use it with ssh tunnel.

Can you give more details what you are trying to do with the Ubuntu machine so we can suggest which remote technology would work best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

hooah posted:

Does a good email client for Windows exist? The Windows 10 mail app doesn't let you have a global inbox or filters and I've heard it has a problem fetching mail. Thunderbird (which I've used for years) has recently started not fetching mail, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and won't remember the widths of the columns if you change them.

Have you tried resetting your TB profile?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

hooah posted:

How do I do that? I tried a little Googling, but everything seemed pretty old.

Easiest way is to open Windows Explorer and browse to the %appdata% folder, just type that to the address bar. When you're in the folder rename Thunderbird folder to Thunderbird.broken and when you start Thunderbird next time it behaves like you haven't started it before and will ask you to create email account.

This way you can test if the problem is with the profile and if it doesn't fix the problem you can rename Thunderbird.broken back to Thunderbird and recover your old profile.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

Is this an appropriate place to ask what is likely a stupid newbie question?

Anyway, I've got a wired LAN setup between an old Windows Vista machine and my new Windows 10 desktop (the LAN works fine). I'm trying to copy the entire contents of the old PC to the new one. Windows does its "preparing to copy thing" then inevitably gets hung up when it hits some file/folder that requires "administration permission to copy". Clicking continue just halts the process. On the old PC I've gone into the the HDD root and set full permission to authenticated users but this did not solve the problem. How the hell do I tell windows to just let me copy every drat thing?

It's not that simple to do GUI tasks with proper administrative rights on a Windows with UAC. On this kind of situation I would usually start a command prompt with admin rights (Right click - Run as administrator) and then use robocopy to do the copying. You would probably need to run 'net use' to map the file share on the other computer. Robocopy running this way may not have access to everything, but those are usually things you wouldn't care anyway. You could run command prompt with system rights, but that's trickier.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

Does robocopy fail gracefully in the sense that it'll just skip a non-copyable file and move on to the next one?

Yes, as long as you set the retry value to lower than the default of million. And since you probably want to copy \Users then also set /XJ to avoid the infinite symbolic link loop hell.

The command I've usually used is something like
code:
robocopy C:\ X:\backup\ /E /Z /COPYALL /R:1 /W:1 /V /FP /ETA /TEE /XJ /LOG+:X:\backup\robocopy.log
	/XF pagefile.sys hiberfil.sys /XD "System Volume Information" "Temporary Internet Files"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

keevo posted:

Kind of. There are some scratches on it but nothing that looks really bad to me. I just asked for another copy of it from a friend and it's less beat up but they told me it also took them like 5-6 hours to install the program (THE ENTIRE THING IS 4 GIGS SO WHAT THE HELL). Looks like I just have to leave this thing on all night and hopefully it'll install before I wake up.

You could try copying the contents of the DVD to harddrive and install from there, unless the software has some kind of copy protection. The installer may just be using the DVD inefficiently.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm trying to find a way to disable the "send to recycle bin?" dialog with a .reg file. I'm using Windows 7. A bunch of websites claim that the following should work:

code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ConfirmFileDelete"=dword:1
However, the value of "ConfirmFileDelete" doesn't exist by default in my registry, and when I add this key, it doesn't work (and yes, I'm rebooting to test it). What happens when I add it with this data value is that the confirmation dialog still triggers, and when I go into the Recycle Bin properties window, the "Display delete confirmation dialog" checkbox is still checked, but is now also greyed out so that it can't be clicked. What's going on here? :psyduck:

Did you set the DWORD value to "1" which enables the dialog or "0" to disable it?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm a little intimidated by robocopy. I'm going to give xcopy a try instead :ohdear:

(also its already installed)

Robocopy is also installed by standard since Vista, I believe. And it doesn't have that much more features compared to xcopy, but those it has are quite useful like logging, /XJ and more convenient excluding. With xcopy I would run the command as:
code:
xcopy C:\ X:\backup\ /E /Z /V /C /F /I /K /O /X /Y /B /EXCLUDE:file_with_exclusion_strings.txt

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Awesome, I will gently caress around with this and if I have any luck I'll report back. If I don't, I won't!

Another alternative could be to directly control the music player. At least foobar2000 had a plugin for controlling it through a webpage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Another approach would be to create checksums of the files in the NAS and compare them. But that would only tell if the copied files are identical to the ones on the NAS, not if the files on the NAS have been corrupted. MD5summer is one of the better checksum programs I've found for Windows. If you have command line access to the NAS it would probably be best to create the checksums from there.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Does your argument fundamentally boil down to, "I think KeePass and 1Password's cryptographic implementations are more secure than LastPass'?"

I'd say the big difference in the number of parts in the system that you need to trust. With Keepass there are three. You need to trust that spyware hasn't been installed on your computer that could steal the passwords. And you need to trust that the keepass.exe on your computer hasn't been replaced by fake that emails all your passwords to criminals. And you need to trust the implementation in Keepass and that the password database is encrypted well.

With LastPass you also need to trust that your computer is spyware free. Similarly you need to trust that your browser.exe hasn't been faked and that it hasn't been exploited in any other. The borowser is a massively bigger and more complicated piece of software than Keepass, and considering how often browsers receive security updates this isn't a thought I would be comfortable with. The browser will also spend all of it's time on the internet at the mercy of all those exploits looking for any weakness. Keepass has this threat only once a week when it checks for updates (and now that I think about I need to stop trusting the auto update). Next you need to make sure that your Lenovo computer doesn't have Superfish installed so that everyone in the Starbucks can't hijack your connection to the LastPass website and direct you to a fraud site. If you are SuperFish free you need to worry about if some nation-state has broken into any of the numerous certificate authorities and created a fraudulent https://www.lastpass.com certificate so they can hijack your connection.

When you have finally made it safely to https://lastpass.com/ is the time when you need to start worry whether the staff at LastPass have done their work. And if you thought the browser was a massive and complex piece of software just think of all those servers and networks serving you passwords, those countless pieces of software needed in those servers, all those workstations the staff require to maintain. I'm an admin for ~450 servers. The servers and workstations I use to administer them are operated quite securely, but I always have a dread that they aren't nearly secure enough. Yet if I would try to do my job more securely I'd probably hand myself, because everything would be just too drat difficult.

After that comes the LastPass.com implementation to worry about. There is at least the website server where you connect to take a peek at your passwords. There is probably also a database server that stores all those encrypted passwords. How are the passwords decrypted so you can use them? Does the database decrypt them and then hand them over to the website server, or does it receive them in encrypted form and then decrypt them? Which would be more secure option, the server that is open to the whole world or the server tucked in the back of the data center?

Keepass is a small offline solution, you can just put it in computer that doesn't have any kind of network connections and use it whenever you need to take a peek at your passwords before typing them in your normal computer. LastPass on the other hand is an online solution that requires a massive amount of infrastructure to work just right for it to function.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

"It's used by Fortune 500 and is therefore a target" is fundamentally an argument for security through obscurity, which you've argued against (if memory serves ), so that's not compelling.

It's not really an obscurity thing, it's about the size of your target and the expected payout.

If you manage to thoroughly infiltrate LastPass you have practically received the keys to the pearly gates. In just few hours you might be able to get all the passwords for large portion of LastPass users, maybe millions of them. It's hard to imagine how many dollars you could make with all those PayPal, online banking and Fortune 500 credentials. That's why anyone who has any cracking ability will be after LastPass.

With Keepass the target is not nearly as clear or alluring. Say you have found a way to crack open those encrypted password databases, what next? Well, the next step would be to infiltrate Dropbox so you can search through their servers for any .kdbx files. But infiltrating Dropbox is probably just as difficult as LastPass and if you have gotten inside you can probably find a lot of valuable stuff that isn't excrypted in the first place. If that doesn't work, then your second option is to get the password databases directly from Keepass users' computers. But to get access to passwords of a million users you would probably have to infiltrate a hundred million computers, because Keepass isn't that widely used and how would you know in advance which of those computers are storing Keepass databases.

Anyway, it's unlikely that someone will find a way to crack the encryption. More likely method is to install spyware on the computers to steal the passwords, for example using the method recently demonstrated. But this would still require installing spyware on those hundred million computers, so why bother with Keepass when you just empty everyone's online bank accounts. And this method would work just as well against LastPass anyway.

If I wanted to steal a large amount of passwords from Keepass users I would exploit the update notification system. I would hack their website, or maybe just take the family of the website admin as hostage, and publish a modified Keepass software. Then I would wait for the Keepass programs to notify their users and install the update and soon the passwords would start pouring in when people use the modified programs. I think this is the biggest weakness in Keepass system and I have decided I won't be vulnerable to this. When I get notified of a new version I will download it, calculate a checksum for the installer and then wait for few weeks and listen for any ruckus. Then I'll redownload the installer and check that the checksums still match before installing the update.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Expect to see this more and more as there's now good tools like Electron for wrapping a website into a desktop app and more and more websites are built entirely on javascript making them even easier to wrap into a desktop app.

Personally, I think its a good thing, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.

Imagine my disgust when I realized the Windows software client for the VoIP system at work was just Internet Explorer and Adobe Flash stuck inside a small window. I found that out when there was some Flash exploit on the loose and we disabled Flash company wide.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

If the source disk is failing I would try to clone it with ddrescue. It's designed for that kind of situations. I believe System Rescue CD has it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was planning on doing, though messing with block sizes freaks me out for no good reason. This sort of straightforward stuff in UNIX is really making Windows frustrating as gently caress, and I grew up on command line DOS.

The block size doesn't matter, it just used to limit the amount of zeroes that is written on the disk, usually with paremeters like 'bs=10M count=100', which will write hundred 10 megabyte blocks of data/zeroes. Otherwise 'dd' will write the full 3.7TB of the disk, unless you manually stop it with Ctrl+C.

What you want to be careful about is what disk you give for the of= parameter. There are several commands you can use to check that /dev/sda is the disk you want to wipe, instead of the USB boot stick. Commands like 'blkid /dev/sda*', 'hdparm -i /dev/sda', 'cfdisk /dev/sda' (quit by pressing Q).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around hardlinks.

I have folder A with files 1,2,3 and folder b with files 4,5,6. Can I create folder c, hardlink files 1-6 to it (is this even the correct language for hardlinks? Do you hardlink? Make a hardlink?) and sync it with BitTorrent sync and have all my client computers receive usable copies of those files without creating another copy of the original files, or will they just receive nonsense?

This idea might also have problems depending on how will the files in A and B get updated. If there is a program that directly modifies the files, then the changes should show up under C, but I believe the metadata for C won't be updated. The file timestamps under C would stay the same as when they were created.

Another problem is, that if the files in A or B get modified by moving some other file over them, then the hardlinks in C will still point to the old data.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Read posted:

Yeah, I noticed that but I had some vague concerns that it would cause weirdness in the install after the rollback. I wasn't sure if the automatic rollback procedure was as simple as replacing some directories/files and cleaning up extraneous stuff, or if it was more involved.

Try to find an old spare harddrive and install 10 on that, while keeping your Win7 installation intact.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

I'm considering doing the following:

code:
robocopy /Z /E "C:\" "\\NetworkComputer\RemoteFolder\" /XF pagefile.sys hiberfil.sys
Does this seem legit? It definitely ignores the page file, since I KNOW I don't need it, but should grab everything else near as I can tell.

You'll probably also want to add /XJ to avoid endlessly looping directory structure.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't think I have the hard drive space for that.

Loan or dumpster dive an old harddrive from somewhere, install Win10 on it with your old Win7 key, receive the digital entitlement, throw the harddrive back in the dumpster.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Klyith posted:

for desktops sleep is fine even for long breaks / overnight because sleep really doesn't use much more power than the so-called "off" does. (most plug-in electronics use a few watts even when they're off. a desktop pc power supply keeps one small part active at all times and generally uses 5-8 watts when off. sleep might use 2-4 extra watts.)

Sleep probably doesn't even use that much extra. Years ago I tested couple computers with a "kill-a-watt" I loaned from the local power company. A Dell Optiplex 780 SFF would use 3.0W while powered off and 3.3-3.4W on standby. Starting it up would use 1.3Wh. You would have to leave powered off for at least three hours or the startup would use more electricity than just leaving it on standby. A white box build by local OEM from cheap chinese parts used 8.1W powered off and 8.2-8.6W on standby.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

Yes. And this means that depending on the size of the file, it might get compressed down to almost 0 bytes, or it might get completely duplicated. The deduplication is not as simple as yes or no. So it's an advantage for rar, but not as much as you were saying earlier. You could get those 7z files of yours to the same size as the rars if you spent a few seconds tweaking the compression settings. It's dumb that you have to tweak it, but it's a lot better than it being impossible.

As far as actually recreating true hard links when you decompress, that's more of a niche feature. I don't have many hard links outside of WinSxS.

But that only works if you can keep the dictionary above the file. If you have 10GB non-compressable file and 99 hardlinks to your only options are to create a 1TB archive or 10GB archive with information about the hardlinks. But it is such a uselessly niche situation I hope none of you ever ends up in it, and if you do you should figure out something better. Only people like me use hardlinks on Windows.

And the original point of not suggesting WinRAR is still valid. It's benefits are such a minor niche that it is not worth the price and if you are in a situation where you need it, I assume you are doing something wrong.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

peepsalot posted:

I honestly have never adjusted balance on any stereo and fail to see the utility of such feature. Like do you have two different sized speakers?

In my previous apartment I had to put one speaker in a room corner and the other next to a kitchen closet with open space. I had to adjust the balance to average the sounds to the middle, but the end result was that high sounds came slightly from right and low sounds a bit from the left.

After six months I noticed to my horror that I couldn't hear the imbalance anymore, my ears had calibrated.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

One thing to remember is that on a SSD with overprovisioning one wipe may not clear all data. It is practically inaccessible, but it probably still exist in some cells. 50% extra wiping will probably get everything, maybe, unless the drive does something funky.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

I've got a question about printer permissions. To keep it brief, I want a user to be able to print and delete items from the print queue without being able to delete the printer. Apparently denying "manage this printer" permission also denies print permission. I can understand why allowing a user to manage the printer would imply allowing them to print, but I don't see why denying management permission would imply that they shouldn't even be able to print. Is this the intended behavior, and if so, is there some rationale that I'm missing?

I think you don't need to deny "manage", just don't allow it. For "Everyone" allow "print" and for "CREATOR OWNER" allow "Manage documents".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Good thing you're not his boss then.

That advice still stands. The question is are you allowed to do it or have you just not been caught yet.

And it's silly to use this kind of tricks. Just set the screen lock to 1 hour. And if you are unable to adjust the time, then it indicates that someone in authority has strong opinions about screen lock so I wouldn't mess with it. Spend your time instead for developing a password you can type optimally fast. It's not a big deal, you only have to type it 50 times per day.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Khablam posted:

Define "low risk" on a system that has been hacked multiple times?

I think you are confusing the arguments of whether you should use Keepass or memorise your password and should you use Keepass or LastPass.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Microsoft seems to be looking at how well Apple manages transitions away from older systems and applications, and trying to do the same thing for their own products.

I think MS is trying to streamline their own processes, and are willing to take the short term hit (free W10 upgrades) to do it. This is pushing their enterprise customers to change in ways those customers don't like doing (new business processes and software) and while that was happening with all the moving of applications to the 'cloud', MS is becoming another unwelcome moving target these companies need to either keep track of or pay to avoid (LTSB).

I have trouble seeing what benefit Microsoft could actually get from this in the end. They might be able to get 99% of their customers to use the latest Windows, but that still leaves those few organisations that are paying for support for Windows Vista. MS still has to do all the work to build and test patches for the legacy customers, but now there are just fewer of those customers paying for it.

And LTSB is another issue. I was recently in a presentation about Win 10 in enterprise use and I felt that with all the different branches of Win 10 Microsoft has even more versions of Windows they need to support. Insider Preview Branch, Current Branch, Current Branch for Business, Long Term Servicing Branch.

We just faced this issue at work with RHEL5 EOL. We went to a huge amount of effort to replace our RHEL5 systems, but there just wasn't enough time to deal with every one of them, or it wasn't worth the effort to rebuild some systems because of their short remaining lifetime. In the end we replaced a large amount of cheap RHEL5 support licenses with a small amount of expensive RHEL5 EOL support licenses and I'm not sure Red Hat comes out ahead with it, they still have to do all the work. We still have that one RHEL4 system we don't even dare trying to move to a newer platform. Red Hat must love supporting that just as much as we love having it around.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

mutata posted:

It has some weird janky UI/UX functionality though. Like if I keep pressing arrows to cycle through images in a directory and instead of looping around alphabetically it just pops up some file browser and beeps at me or if I zoom in while in windowed mode it changes the size of the whole window instead of zooming within the set window size. Super annoying for the simple stuff I use it for so I'm exploring other options. I suppose there may be settings somewhere I can change too.

Its more complex features are great for a free "image viewer" though.

The looping you can change from "Options - Properties - Browsing" and the zooming you can change from "View - Display options (window mode)" by choosing some other option than "Fit window to image".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

You could try opening them with LibreOffice, it may be less fussy about possible corruption.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Severing posted:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/11/the-last-official-way-to-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade-is-ending-soon/

The last way to get free Windows 10 is ending soon (assistive technology), so upgrade those PCs if you still want it.

It is ending officially, but will Microsoft actually disable it since even normal upgrades to Win10 have still been working just fine.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

You don't concern-troll like this over repositories on any other platform.

As in, most other platforms.

On the other platforms the repository administration takes care of all the work. You just provide the source and the software magically appears in the repository.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

Is there a torrent client and configuration that will help me shove these torrents down peoples' modems? I've become the only useful seed on some dying torrents with dozens of peers waiting one end and 80MB/s upload capability on my end but the connection between us rarely happens.
(Firewall open and ports correctly forwarded so that's not it.)
How are the experienced people set up on this?

I have a similar problem with qBittorrent, it seems so lazy at seeding. I'm trying to force seed a torrent with supposedly 2 seeds and 1305 peers and it hasn't had any activity in 12 hours.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Splinter posted:

If I don't have that am I SOL?

Buy a Windows 7 OEM key from eBay or SA-mart, it can still be used to activate 10.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Palladium posted:

Contact MS live support, tell them your problem and they will attempt to troubleshoot and fix for you by remoting into your PC. If you are uncomfortable with that just buy a Ebay key for $4.

Uthor posted:

Can you install the original hardware, find the key, and then redo the upgrade? I have no idea if that will work...

Question: I'm getting a new computer at work. Most of my files are on the network drive, so not a worry. I do have Chrome installed and have some logins saved (to random supplier sites, nothing confidential). I am not logged into Chrome as any kind of user. I gather that it's impossible to transfer this data to a new machine/Chrome install. Is there anything I could do (short of logging in with a Google account)?

As Palladium noted, a new keys can be had for ~5$, so any amount of tinkering with the hardware or wasting your time on the phone isn't worth it. I'd say even the usual advice about linking can be forgotten. It is worth paying the $5 just so you don't have to link your computer to the MS account.

Uthor, all the Chrome settings can be transferred over by copying the directory "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data". The settings and data for most programs live in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming or C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local and they can be transferred by copying select directories from there.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Are these files being fed into some program, or is it literally a question of how they're sorted in the folder? If it's the latter, is there anything preventing you from taking the file that's supposed to go between, say, 123 and 124, and naming it 123.1?

That's one solution, but I'm not sure if there is a complete consensus on which way 123 and 123.1 should sort.

How about use a tip from the BASIC handbook and number the files in tenths. When you have 1230 and 1240, a 1235 slots nicely between them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Minidust posted:

Thanks, yeah I've tried updating the driver and the behavior doesn't seem to change. And now Device Manager claims I already have the best drivers installed.

Are you running the driver version 18.33.15.1 which seems to be the newest? Getting the most recent chipset drivers from Intel might also help.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

hooah posted:

I suspect it's something to do with how the printer is on the 2.4 GHz network and the laptop is on the 5 GHz one, because I can't ping the printer from the laptop, but can from my desktop. Although that was the case before with an Archer C7 router. I've looked through the settings on this modem/router combo and can't find anything that sounds like AP isolation.

Edit: Chatted with AT&T support and they got it sorted out. The tech changed the wifi mode from B/G/N to just B/G.

That sounds like a pretty lovely solution. They just forced every device at your house from the 150 Mbps 5 GHz connection (N), to the outdated 54 Mbps 2.4 GHz connection (G). I hope you don't much close neighbours, since the 2.4 GHz frequency is often very crowded.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

codo27 posted:

Have we come up with a way to make sure the computer stays asleep until it receives manual input? So annoying for it to keep waking on its own

You can possibly find the reason for the wake up in the Event Viewer logs. On my computer I needed to go to the Device Manager and network adapter's Power Management settings and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

codo27 posted:

Thats a handy little feature. Seems to indicate surprise its the network card. Disabled ability to wake, see how it goes. I'd rather not shut down every night.

And the wake up may even be "valid". I suspect my problem was the BitTorrent client. I had the port forwarded on the router, so when I put the computer to sleep it took only a moment for some to ask for a piece and the computer would wake as it was configured.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 3, 2019

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Wait why is that easier vs Ctrl + C?

They may be a terminal user, where Ctrl + C kills the process. So you either need to learn that anywhere else you can use Ctrl + C, but on this specific window you must not use it and instead you use Ctrl + Shift + C. Or you can learn Ctrl + Insert. I hope I can finally remember that option, I've used Shift + Insert since forever.

Klyith posted:

:rolleyes: how should left handed people mouse then?

Why would I have to choose. I've had two mouse, on both sides of the keyboard, for years, just to reduce load on my right wrist. Gaming I still do on my right hand, for anything else left works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Uthor posted:

I use CDex, which now that I look at it, looks almost exactly the same as Exact Audio Copy.

https://cdex.mu/

Just yesterday I needed to install ripping software after countless years and was researching my options. Apparently CDex nowadays comes with adware, so it would get a Hard No from me since EAC also exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDex#Potential_risk

quote:

From version 1.76 the installer includes the adware OpenCandy.

In November 2017 version 1.96 was released.[4] It is not clear who is the current code maintainer, and no contact details are provided. Four further versions were released by March 2018.