Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

What's the best partitioning software? Partition Magic? (I haven't repartitioned in like 10 years). Is there a decent freeware alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Friend's mum has given me her (Windows 10) laptop to fix some issues with it. I've updated Windows, removed all of the malware I could find, but there's one issue I don't know how to fix.

On boot it tries to automatically sign in, but says "password incorrect". Then upon clicking OK it shows two identically named accounts for her, one requiring a password and one requiring a PIN. I'm trying to remove the password one to leave the PIN (don't lecture me about the security of this, she's old). Googling has suggested two things - 1. Going to sign-in options and either ticking "require Microsoft Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts" and/or unticking "use my sign-in info automatically after applying updates", neither of which did anything, and 2. opening netplwiz and either ticking "users must enter a password" with a view of unticking it again after a restart (which is no good because there is no option for this in netplwiz) or remove the duplicate account there, but netplwiz doesn't list two duplicate accounts, it lists hers (part of the Administrators group) and a DefaultAccount (that's part of the System Managed Accounts group), and it doesn't actually let me do anything with either account.

Any ideas of what else I can try?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

This fixed it. Thanks!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I like having the Discord icon on the taskbar, however whenever Discord updates it seems Windows 10 gets confused and thinks that it's a brand new program and hides it. In the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" option, there are two entries for Discord, "Discord.exe" which is set to on (presumably the old, pre-update version), and "Discord" which is set to off, which I have to manually set to on in order to display it. Is there anything I can change to stop this happening literally every time Discord updates?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've changed my shortcut to the actual discord.exe rather than update.exe so we'll see if this fixes it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Is this the thread for PowerShell questions? I've never used Powershell before and it's such a simple task someone should be able to answer it easily.

I have a folder full of folders that are named like "The Dark Night (2008)" and I'd like to batch rename them so that they're like "Dark Night, The (2008)". I've written the following Powershell script:

code:
foreach ($folder in Get-ChildItem *) {
  $segments = $folder.BaseName.Split(' ')
  for ($i = 1 ; $i -lt $segments.Length ; $i++) {
    $segments[$i-1] = $segments[$i]
  }
  $segments[$segments.Length-2] = ", The"
  Rename-Item -path "$folder" -NewName "$segments"
}
which kind of does what I want it to, except that I'm picking up an extra trailing space before the ", The" is inserted, so the result is "Dark Night , The (2008)". How do I get rid of it?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Oh I forgot PowerToys has an inbuilt renamer, I'll use that.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Getting a friend/family member to do it is the easiest way, but if not are there still places that will mail linux on a DVD for pretty much the cost of postage? You could do that to boot into a linux environment and use that to create the Windows USB.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Does your monitor support freesync?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Edit: oh wait nvm

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Medullah posted:

You guys need to follow my protip of having hearing loss.
I don't even really need stereo any more :smith:

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have Windows 10 installed on a spare computer that I'm using as a very basic NAS. I run it headless, meaning I don't have a password set so that when I turn it on it'll just boot straight into Windows. Periodically however Windows keeps asking me to change my password and won't log in until I do this. I can connect to it remotely and it lets me "change" my password to a blank password and it will happily continue logging me in automatically for a while until it starts asking me to change my password again. It's not a big issue but it is pretty irritating, so how do I turn this off so that it's completely passwordless? I don't really care about the security of the computer as there's nothing important on it and it spends the vast majority of the time switched off.

Online guides tell me to run netplwiz and uncheck the "require a password" checkbox for the user in question, but on mine that checkbox doesn't exist, and if I go into "sign in options" in the control panel it says I don't have a password and wont show me any options until I set one.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Thanks. I've checked the box so I guess I'll see if it worked in 30 days or whenever my password was due to expire.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Excel thread is in Cavern of COBOL: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've been having this issue with Discord in Windows 10. It's a pain, but made slightly better by the realisation that you can just drag and drop the icon back to where it should be, rather than going through settings (though I have no idea if this works in 11).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

WinRAR does this, or at least it used to (haven't used WinRAR for years)