Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

fishmech posted:

When you say Home Pro, is that Home or Pro?
He must be talking about Home Premium, because XP Mode is included with Professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

LoKout posted:

Oops I was talking about Home Premium. Professional will not be marketed to home users. You'll only be seeing Home Premium and Ultimate.

Pro adds the following over Home Premium:
  • Domain Join enables simple and secure server networking.
  • Encrypting File System protects data with advanced network backup.
  • Location Aware Printing helps find the right printer when moving between the office and home.
  • Windows XP Mode enables customers to run many Windows XP productivity applications.
No, Home Premium and Professional will be widely available, while Enterprise and Ultimate (they are essentially the same thing) will only be available to OEMs, with Ultimate occasionally available to consumers during promotional periods.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Ultimate will also be available via Windows Anytime Upgrade.
Yeah, that too. But for retail packaging, it's just Home Premium and Professional, basically.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Treytor posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone managed to successfully get Ubuntu 9.04 running under virtual PC in Windows 7?

I can get it installed with the " vga=791 noreplace-paravirt " trick but once installed I can't get it to come up.

Edit: I just successfully got xubuntu running. I guess this will have to do. I know very little about linux and wanted something to play around with.
Virtual PC isn't really intended for anything but Windows. You'd be better off using VMWare or VirtualBox or something like that if you want to virtualize Linux.