Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Treytor posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone managed to successfully get Ubuntu 9.04 running under virtual PC in Windows 7?

I'll add a vote for the VMWare Server suggestion. It's free, and is working well for me under Win 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I was thinking about the system tray earlier, too. I used set putty and utorrent in the tray because they were open all the time, but today I realised that they didn't need to be now that there's more space, so set them to the taskbar.

However, my utilities like Catalyst, SetPoint, NOD32 etc. are well suited to the tray, so it's still useful. Apps themselves now need to use the taskbar better, though.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I would like an 'Open as Administrator' option on the file context menu, maybe when you press shift (like the command prompt item). This would elevate the default application for that file before opening it.

For example, I've wanted to edit the hosts file a few times. I browse to "\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" and open "hosts" and then realise it's read-only. I have to instead start notepad separately as admin, then go to that file again from within notepad's own browse window.

I know that I could tell notepad to always run as admin, but I think that defeats the purpose of UAC when it's rare that I want to edit a system file. I know it's only a minor gripe, but minor gripes are all I have with 7.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Does anyone use a Logitech Harmony universal remote? I can't get the software to work. I've tried compatibility mode for almost every older OS and have run/installed it with admin rights, but it just shows a blank (grey) window. It might be something to do with flash, because I think that's what it uses to render the contents.

Remote software 7.5, Windows build 7100.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm an MSDN subscriber so I'll be able to grab and install it on Aug 6. Forgive my ignorance of the commercial software life-cycle, but is the RTM 'it'? I won't have to install a general release version later on?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Great, thanks. I'm running the RC and didn't want to have to do two more installations.

xenomorph: After a defrag you could set your pagefile to a static size, then it won't get fragmented. I have a separate partition at the start of a non-system drive just so the pagefile is at the fastest place on a disk, but I know that's overkill.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
For the last few years I've been using Launchy, so I'd weaned myself off clicking icons to launch apps anyway. Now that 7 has that functionality inbuilt, I'm a pig in mud.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

I still use Launchy. The start menu search isn't clever enough to equate "rdp" as "Remote DesktoP connection" and then learn those personal shorthands.

That's true, but I've just changed my style a bit. 'rdp' became 're'. I would be good if it were more configurable.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

Edit: Actually, try this out, it may appeal to you: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

Ah, very good. Took me a second to realise that it's a spoof of http://www.sevenclassicstart.com/

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I had thought Backup was like system restore, while I only want to backup selected documents (I couldn't care less about the system drive). But I just had a pick through it and it does look pretty decent. Definitely more user-friendly than my current method:

quote:

@echo off
mkdir b:\stuff
c:\windows\system32\robocopy s:\ b:\stuff /MIR /XA:SH /XD "$Recycle.Bin" "System Volume Information" "temp" /R:0 /W:0 /TEE /V /NFL /NDL /NP /log+:"a:\programs\backup\robobackup.log"
attrib -h -s b:\stuff

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

I love robocopy, but if all you're backing up is a less than a couple gigs of documents you should check out something like Mozy. Having your stuff on a second HDD won't help when your house burns down/is flooded/gets carried off by a tornado.

Thanks, I have thought of that. It's currently about 20GB, though, and will increase (lots of raw photos). I'm not trying to protect against fire, just against failing drives.

I do back up a small number of personal documents to an offsite server, though.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Is there any way that the file created by Backup can be browsed? Or can it only be reversed by Windows? I think I might just keep doing it the rsync way since I don't schedule it anyway (I turn on my external drive and click go every few days) and I like that it keeps the same file structure.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

johndoe7776059 posted:

This is only a problem with the new way UAC runs by default in Windows 7. Blame people bitching about how horrible it was to get a UAC popup using the control panel. If you drag the UAC slider all way up, it goes back to acting the way it did in Vista and that exploit goes away.

The only reason I drag the slider down is to stop the screen blackening. If there's an easy way to keep the security right up and do this I'd like to know.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Fawkes posted:

Only six screensavers, for example? And just crude ones?

The extra crap that used to come with Windows used to annoy me, and back when I had a 800MB drive I'd go through after the installation and delete whatever crap I could (sounds, backgrounds, screen savers). This was before most people were online, though, so I could understand why they included this 'value added' stuff.

With the size of hard disks nowadays it really doesn't matter, but now that most people are online and can download whatever extras they want they don't need to pad the default installation as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
It's not that I don't like screensavers, it's just that I set my monitor to switch off after five minutes. I'm stingy.