Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

kapinga posted:

You will almost certainly have to have it installed.

If you want to stay perfectly legitimate, you will most likely have to buy a full version. Since the only OS you are certain you can have installed on your machine is the RC, it's difficult to recommend the (non-refundable? I assume so) purchase of the upgrade version.

you think vista ultimate oem edition will qualify for the upgrade. ot mine off of newegg a while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I have 2 monitors, 2 users. It's a small thing really, but when I go to the switch users screen, Windows 7 decides to disable the 2nd monitor which causes both monitors to go into "no signal" mode for a bit then come out. It's pretty quick but just annoying.

I'm assuming it's because the SYSTEM account doesn't have dual monitors enabled or wherever tsdiscon.exe sends me doesn't have dual monitors. Both profiles are running at native res, both are configured pretty much the same. Anyone have any ideas?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
What happens if you put stuff on it?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
A phone captured video of glitches may help

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

god please help me posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Dg3K3vY.mp4

I sped up the video to save on file size, but this is the issue I'm talking about.

That is remarkable. Kudos for having such a druggy glitch.

Edit: Could this be related to writing input detection? I get the feeling like a new layer is created when switching to that tool and then glitching out.

I dunno, just spitballing, anyone have experience with tablet input glitches?

down1nit fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 2, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Brutakas posted:

Is it possible to copy my existing windows install to another, smaller, drive and have it be bootable? I've currently got windows 10 installed on a 2TB nvme and I want to move it to a 225GB ssd (the total used space on the nvme is <225GB). If it is possible, what software could pull it off?

IIRC Reflect hides cloning behind a trial or paywall. That was at least two years ago though so ignore this if it's just free to use.

I use an oldish version of partition master

https://filehippo.com/download_minitool-partition-wizard-free/11.5/

Which has no ads, just a splash screen. Looks just like diskmgmt.msc and uses shadow copy service if it can (no reboot to clone)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

C-Euro posted:

Trying to run a manual backup using the Windows 10 Backup and Restore menu, backing data up to an external hard drive currently connected to my computer. It will run for a few seconds, and then stop with the pop-up error "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long. Reconnect it and then tap or click to keep saving copies of your files". Clicking said pop-up gives a dialogue box stating "Your files will be temporarily copied to your hard drive until you reconnect your File History drive and run a backup". I've successfully used this drive to save backups in the past, but now no amount of reconnecting and reattempting the backup operation will stick. Any idea what's going on and how to get my computer to recognize the external drive again? The drive's behaving normal otherwise (can browse its contents, can write and delete stuff)

Not familiar with windows file history backup, but as long as you are in this situation, consider why people keep two backups, especially with file history as a feature. If you have the means, adding a second drive to your backup can help streamline problems like this. Apple shoppers were / are encouraged to have two backups. This is a similar backup strategy, and Apple's strategy is seldom perfect for everyone.

If I were to guess, something windows used to identify that specific drive is not working right. The usual suspects are filesystem problems (chkdsk), renamed Volume label, windows being windows, anti-virus, a legit virus, registry error, or missing filter driver file.... blah blah blah

Good news is, if it's just used as a backup, most folks here would just wipe it and start anew, assuming they didn't desperately need anything from the file history.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

C-Euro posted:

Honestly I manually back up some of my more important digital stuff to this drive, so wiping it is a no-go. Though you did give me an idea to try which seems to have reestablished backup communication between the two, so thanks :respek:

Nice lol. Is your "more important digital stuff" actually backed up? Or is it just on this one drive?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I remember being thrilled* when Reflect came out. EaseUS had some competition finally. And then EaseUS went full shovelware with nearly all their products. What good engineers they may have had, victims of enshittification. A quick buck was made.

And at the same time, Macrium started gating features that seemed arbitrary (backup scheduling I think). Soon they gated less arbitrary features like cloning and I stopped recommending Reflect. Excellent software though unless it's gotten enshittified somehow.

*when was the last time a bit of software had you "thrilled"?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
The Zune software 4.0 refresh was magical. Imagine getting chills when an mp3 player runs it's code.

"I wanna be traaaaash"

e: zune snipe, excellent

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Shift+Ctrl+f3 gets you in audit mode so you can check drivers, run updates, install Firefox blah blah. Use this when it's rebooted into the OOBE (setup screen) and it's asking you what username you want to use. When you're done, just do a reboot and it'll act like it's never been touched, asking for a username to use again.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Adwcleaner, malwarebytes free, hitman pro

Superantispyware has a poo poo detect rate and name but good startup process management. I use it to disable unknowns.

Edit: Run disk cleanup as admin first. make a new restricted user profile if you can, have the employee use that account.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Windows doesn't know it crashed. That usually is hardware related.

A deliberate, thorough cleaning is seldom a bad thing for any electronics, starting there may be a pretty good idea you have.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I was gonna shower later

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

MikusR posted:

Office files behave differently when opened from OneDrive in a modern Office.

The option to disable it is like the first one in the Options->Save section.

I super get the idea that you are miffed at. Live file editing is a newish concept for windows users and it's fundamentally incompatible with what you have in mind. MS made the decision early on and it's now out of your control.

The usual solution is to zip up the documents you don't want to be touched and put a password on the zip. Extract copies to be modified and open those in web Onedrive. Google docs/sheets works the same way BTW.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

stuker posted:

hey all-- i've been running into a multi-display issue for a while now and was 50/50 between asking here or the display thread, but it did seem to coincide with my upgrade to win11. i'm curious if anyone else has encountered something similar

my display setup isn't anything too crazy, just two standard monitors (via HDMI) and my TV (also HDMI). what's confusing me is that previously under win10 if I changed the input source on my TV to something other than the PC, the OS seemed to maintain the display even if it wasn't actively being shown on the TV. since the win11 upgrade that same action is treated no differently than if i'd turned off the display entirely (windows getting shuffled back to the remaining monitors).

nothing's changed with the hardware which leads me to assume it's something on the OS side, but casually researching the issue over the past few months has led me nowhere

Displayport does this for me. It's actually my preferred outcome. You're not plugged into a DP with a adapter are you?

Edit : Comedy option, it was a monitor update

down1nit fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 5, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

stuker posted:

nope, HDMI on both ends for the display (TV) in question. it's a relatively older TV (LG C9, so about 4-5 years?) so updates have been pretty infrequent. i am using DP for one of the other monitors, but i don't change the input on that display

i dunno if the use case helps at all, but i frequently throw a game or video on the TV via the PC but am flipping from that PC input to other inputs on the TV (two basketball games, for example). i'd be fine with the behavior when turning off the TV altogether, but having it occur when the PC is no longer the active input means i get the TV windows thrown over whatever else i had up + the windows don't revert back when the input is switched back to the PC

Yeah I love that behavior, personally. Sorry, I never really studied hdmi signaling or anything, but the usual method for determining if a cable is plugged in and can receive data (potentially) is a small rear end resistor between a pin and ground. I dunno where it is on hdmi cables, it may be on the device side even.

Maybe swap the cables around see if it's that, being the jist. Perhaps consider a dvi / dp adapter until someone smarter chimes in?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Kinda sorta feels like your bios or ec is stuck/crashing? See if there's a bios update for your system, ditto for chipset or "power management" software.

The power button is odd, the ec is supposed to respond to that no matter what (on paper). The goal is to have the power button engaged for approx 5 solid seconds. Perhaps your button is shite or has corrosion somewhere?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Strong Sauce posted:

Hi all I have been running into some issues with Windows 10, my video card (GTX 970), or possibly my monitor (its an Acer Predator XB1 27" 1440p 165hz with G-Sync), but just wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to dive in.

First, I can't seem to play 2 YouTube videos side by side on my monitor if they're using the same browser. If both are actively playing and are in view, they either start chugging or they start buffering. If I hide one while playing it seems fine. If I load a video in Edge and one in Chrome, that works. So it's doesn't seem to be an issue with my computer not being able to run two videos, but probably something to do with how much resources one application can have? It wasn't always this way but I'm not sure when it started to happen. Tried to update my video drivers and it didn't help.

Second, I've been having issues where my monitor will briefly reflect the other half of the monitor. Again if I have two browser windows open and they are both on web pages where there are videos (doesn't have to be youtube, as long as both browser windows contains video), what will happen sometimes is that one side of the screen will all of a sudden mirror the other side of the screen exactly sans video. It'll stay like that for maybe a second or two before reverting.

I'm guessing maybe my video card is dying? That's kinda the only thing that makes sense

This one sounds fun!

Is chrome your main browser? Firefox?

Try two videos in incognito mode. Same?

Try two videos in a new Chrome profile. Same?

Open devmgmt.msc and under Display Adapters, right click and uninstall the 970. Keep the drivers if it askd. Action menu, choose "scan for new hardware", try two videos. Same?

Do the same again but delete the drivers. Run windows update. Same?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i updated my bios this morning--thanks.

what is ec?

An embedded controller! At one point it was a simple keyboard controller, but it's gotten more tasks over the years so they call it the generic name of EC.

Boringpost: The EC in this case is a chip on your motherboard with many "old school" tasks. It reads your keyboard input, reads communication networks, and importantly for you, It supplies signals to various circuits to tell the computer to turn on and operate. I like describing the EC as a CPU's Assistant, since does things the CPU would absolutely like done, but without bothering the CPU too much. It does this by being a computer itself.

It has "ram" and a "hard drive" as well as a "CPU".

It uses a BIOS chip, usually the main BIOS chip to get its instructions. Sometimes there's a whole other chip, just for the EC. The EC reads from whichever BIOS and does the things it's told, but because it's a computer conceptually, it can crash too. Sometimes updating it's instructions helps. Usually both Main and EC bios updates are in one download, and your computer will reboot multiple times during the update to apply each one.

Sometimes you hit the jackpot and your computer reboots 6 times from one update file! Wow! (EC, ME, BIOS, TB, TPM, VGA, etc.)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Taima posted:

I've been using Win11 for a long while and enjoy it. But I am hoping I could get some help on a minor issue that is driving me nuts if yall don't mind.

on the Taskbar, there are those little icons on the bottom right? I think these are called System Tray Icons?

By going into Taskbar Options, you can choose which icons show on the taskbar vs which ones get hidden and you have to click the little arrow. The problem is, every time I, for example, update my graphics card drivers- which is often, of course- the icon goes back to being hidden behind the arrow and I am forced to go back into Taskbar Settings every single time to re-show it on the taskbar.

This might be a hot take, but that arrow is loving bullshit and hiding open applications is a real and bewildering security risk, so it's strange af that it defaults to actively hiding your programs?

I want to know what is open on my loving computer. How do I banish this stupid arrow to the shadow realm? I want to see every single application, always. That's it. And I find it actively shady that Microsoft apparently doesn't think that option should be in Taskbar Settings...

It's supposed to stick. Is amd/Nvidia whoever maybe updating the stupid task that puts the icon there? Maybe the exe is renamed every time? nvdxxxvSept302023.exe or whatever? Just stabbing in the dark. Or maybe just disable it like we all do so then you can think "yesssss, frames" for a bit.

It *is* bullshit to take stuff away. Imagine having your right to see a doctor to save your life taken away.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I'm used to them and they own

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
You should post all the troubleshooting you did too. This may be a windows "image" issue, perhaps try the old fashioned

sfc /scannow

From an elevated command prompt.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Do people in russia have to deal with Activate Windows at the bottom of their screen, or is MS allowing them to activate?

I see they stopped sales and support, and are even blocking downloads. Does that extend to the licensing servers too?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
That's good one lol.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Driveby question: I'm getting a new windows box after a long time. Is Ninite still useful for initial software installation, or has it been infected by profit-seeking like everything else has?

Fantastic question. Always ask poo poo like this, I love you goon.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
R-STUDIO is the usual starting point. It has a demo and is reasonably priced for data recovery software.

I have used Getdataback to good success as well as Active File recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been using Microsoft Calendar forever because it's so simple and quick to set dates and events. This year, Microsoft decided to gently caress me about by making it fully part of Outlook for no goddamn reason. But, of course, none of my saved data got ported over with the change, so I had to keep switching back to the old version of Calendar, complete with annoying messages from Microsoft and "why aren't you using the new version" questionnaire. Every. Single. Time.

Naturally, I tried saving my calendar and importing it to the new Outlook calendar. One problem - none of the instructions on the internet worked. They all said to click on options which simply did not exist on Outlook on my computer.

Finally, after weeks of this bullshit, I found out why things didn't work - all the instructions were for Outlook.com, the website not the Windows app. Only, not a single goddamn Support.Microsoft.Useless.Pricks link mentioned that did they? No, they did not.

And thank you to the University of Iowa for actually having the answer, of all people.

e: So, to put this in the form of a question - what is a good stand- alone Calendar app for Windows? I don't mind if it's not free, I'm happy to pay for good software.

To sidestep the direct question, for a paid email client I use emClient, it's simple but robust like Opera Mail was but actually nice to look at with an active dev team that's not Microsoft.

It of course has a calendar and integration for syncing.

For the retrieval of old emails, I often default to importing poo poo into thunderbird first, then exporting it in an mbx format (or using "import" in emClient). Most instructions you find online for recovering emails will tell you the same. Thunderbird is like the VLC of mailbox databases.