Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's not really how the 3 user thing works. It's designed for 3 people in a single household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If he's got a Windows 7 upgrade key then it probably isn't accepting it because it thinks you've done a clean install. There's a way around this - http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clonezilla can clone a disc to an image file across a network, and can restore it again later. Also it's free. Make sure you read the documentation thoroughly though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the off chance, does their TV have a USB port and a built-in media player?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VeeamZIP seems to be free still

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Less Fat Luke posted:

Since the last Windows update my monitor (ACER Nitro VG280K), connected via DisplayPort, no longer actually turns off when Windows should be turning it off. There's a light that stays blue and the backlight is clearly on, but when physically turned off the amber "standby" light comes on.

After much Googling, troubleshooting and loving bullshit, I've found that if I disconnect the wireless receiver for the Xbox One controller I use then the monitor will sleep. The controller itself is not on when sleep is being prevented, it's just having that plugged in prevents Windows from deep sleeping the monitor or whatever the term is.

I don't expect any solution to this, I just wanna bitch about how loving dumb it is that this behaviour happens with all official Microsoft products. Goddamn.

Does the receiver have a Power Management tab in Device Manager?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah Tavis Ormandy has been quite vocal about it. If you're being told you need AV because people above you/auditors insist on being able to see a dashboard with lots of green ticks on then use Intune

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/fundamentals/reports#antivirus-agent-status-report-organizational

If you need to be able to present a timeline of detection and an audit log of how it was handled then Defender for Endpoint (formerly Windows Defender ATP) can do this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't help with your question, but OBS is great for screen/window recording. It's not just a thing for game streamers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

robocopy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look, they only just bought it, OK?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Quick Assist built into Windows is good if you're needing to provide remote assistance rather than unattended access. It can't handle UAC elevations though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make sure you have all the details you need to set your internet connection back up before you factory reset the router, maybe do a reset, flash the latest firmware on again from the vendor site, factory default it again, and then set it up and change the admin password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zotix posted:

I guess this thread makes the most sense. What would you put on a 70 year olds computer to try and proof it from spyware/ malware? For the life of me I can't seem to get my parents to understand what are safe links to click on vs sketch poo poo. I put on malware bytes, ublock origins and adblock. Anything else that is recommended?

Do they do anything other than use the web? Because a Chromebox might be the way to go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something like a headphone mixer would be the perfect way to do this

https://artproaudio.com/product/powermix-iii-three-channel-personal-stereo-mixer/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you use all the Office apps then it makes very little sense to use Google Apps G Suite Google Workspace for email.

The actual migration is pretty simple, for the small amount of users you have get some BitTitan MigrationWiz licenses and follow their documentation:

https://help.bittitan.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049370794-G-Suite-Gmail-API-to-Exchange-Online-Microsoft-365-Migration-Guide

If you're going fully remote and you use Windows then consider Microsoft 365 Business Premium which has a load of endpoint management features, and probably costs the same as you're paying now for Office apps + Google.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ynglaur posted:

With the death of Google Cloud Print, is there anythung as easy to setup with would allow someone not at home to print on their home printer? Microsoft Universal Print looks promising but seems to require an Azure tenant and Active Directory.

Get a printer that supports sending documents to an email address

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do you need to replace Publisher? It won’t be supported but it should run fine in modern versions of Windows.

If you want a new app then look at Affinity Publisher.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm pretty sure I have a Home & Student version of Office 2007 at home with a key, I'll PM you it when I get back

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The big print spooler exploit has turned into a game of whack-a-mole

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also Milestone

https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/video-management-software/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the displays are meant to tell the PC they are still there even when in standby, some don't do this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The two-stage right-click menu made me ditch 11 pretty quickly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

I mean 256 char paths + file name is still a thing. I doubt that'll ever go away.

It's sort of not, but loads of applications struggle depending on the API calls they are making, and it's not a default.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-1607-and-later

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd hope it's an API, because the idea of it being loads of little 0KB files that the agent is constantly monitoring to see if anything touches them before running off to hopefully grab the file in time fills me with dread.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried the obvious turning the Roku off and on?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Medullah posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for something to get a better idea of what that traffic is. Searching brings a lot of "that's a Netgear false positive, don't worry about it" but like I said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd be inclined to think this is a false positive from some ancient generic cheap to implement intrusion detection on the router that is tripping up on something completely different. I don't think smurf has been a thing since the 90s, it's like seeing Kazaa on a firewall rule set.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://rocket.chat/ seems like the most obvious copy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it need to be Wireguard? ZeroTier has router integrations and clients.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple, bring back Safari, all is forgiven. Just don't skin it this time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edge was at one point a nice slick browser with Chrome extension support and good integration with Windows for SSO stuff, and then they stuffed it full of coupon garbage and nags to use Bing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/windows-sso

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Surface Studio 2 also has Kaby Lake and is on the Windows 11 supported list.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you tell it you don't want Windows 11 it goes away

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For me it's in

AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ScreenSketch_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SnippingTool.exe

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the only real benefits to buying Teams-certified headsets when we were going all-in on MS Teams has been that Teams will default to a certified audio device if one is connected, and the end user doesn't have to do anything. So we just send out headsets, people plug them in, and the next time they make a Teams call it's happening over that. They cost exactly the same as the non-Teams models, at least in the case of the Polycom stuff we've been using.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If people are already using Teams then it's fine. If you're trying to shift from an old PBX with desk phones to Teams then the main barriers will be people not wanting to have any changes at all and kicking off every step of the way.

If your calling requirements are light then it's fine - smallish numbers of staff and everybody has a DDI sort of thing. If you're building phone trees and trying to have ring groups it's a lot clunkier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Last Chance posted:

I did this at my college dorm 15 years ago and remoting into my machine from a computer lab was awesome, and fast. And it even worked off campus because they were handing out exposed IPv4 addresses to the dorm Ethernet ports! Sick!

I was at a campus with a whole /16 or similar, and no NAT, but they at least understood the concept of ACLs for inbound traffic.

E: I think all the residences were on the same broadcast domain as well, which meant DC++ hub discovery worked a treat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OpenVPN Cloud is free for 3 connections and could be set up to be always-on, if you wanted to use straight RDP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Azure Files with Azure File Sync and run a small local cache on the File Sync server. But if you have zero AD infrastructure then this won't work, and there's not really an Azure-only product that will do this for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It takes longer to wipe than it does to set it back up again in my experience, 30 minutes should do it.