Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GroceryBagHead posted:

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista. My gigabit network card only operates at 100mbit for some reason though.

Is the router or switch connected to it a gigabit version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If that's the public (retail) release, then I bet that US based OEM's will get it earlier?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kapinga posted:

You should be able to use the Windows 7 install as the one you're upgrading from, and just do a clean install from the DVD. It worked in Vista, I don't think they'll change it with 7, although they might.

You will need to have whichever OS (XP, Vista, or 7) installed on the machine though.

Ok, here's what I am wondering. I've read the past few pages and haven't seen anything regarding it.

I remember reading there is a way to modify a file in the installation stuff to allow someone to do an upgrade install from Win7 RC to the final. If I do this trick, can I upgrade from Win7 RC to the final version using the UPGRADE VERSION disc?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kapinga posted:

Regardless, assuming the installation mechanism hasn't changed from Vista, you should be able to pull the trick of installing 7 without registering it or entering a key, and then "upgrading" it using your legit update disc and key.

This would be like 2 installs? The first installation would be a clean install, then as soon as that is finished, do another 'upgrade' install. Interesting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thedavid posted:

From what I read on the microsoft sites last night (they really need to coalesce this info all in one spot, really. It's difficult getting bits of info from here and there) the upgrade discs are designed for vista->windows 7 upgrade paths. XP will need to be installed from scratch anyway, from the sounds of it.

Yeah. On one of the pages it says that XP users can buy and use an upgrade disc, but it will have to be a clean install.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Butt Savage posted:

Dammit, in that case I won't be purchasing this Newegg deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116674

My laptop didn't come with recovery disks, but it does have the option to create one. But I'd much prefer to have a real copy of Windows with me, and I was hoping to purchase Newegg's offering. I wanted to do completely fresh installs of Windows 7; I don't like the idea of upgrading directly on top of another OS.

Even with Vista, you CAN do a fresh install with the upgrade CD. It will move your stuff to a folder called 'Windows.old' Once the install is done, you can just migrate your stuff back into the fresh install.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fishmasher posted:

We pre-ordered Windows 7 from Newegg, then noticed the credit card will expire between now and the release date.

Does anyone know if Newegg will send an e-mail asking for a new credit card later on, or how that normally works?

They will charge it to your card in October, so if it's expired then, that might be a problem. I imagine if you called them with the updated CC info, they could put that in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Namlemez posted:

What do people think about the usability of this on an older PC?

My desktop is an Athlon XP (OC'd to 2Ghz) with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm still rocking Windows XP and it works fine for my purposes. I don't play many new games - C&C3 Red Alert worked fine though if I played with the settings a bit.

I suspect it will be fine. You may want to bump up the RAM if you could.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BIZORT posted:

My girl has been having a problem with her laptop that she installed Windows 7 on. The laptop is an HP (Pavilion, I believe) Dv2637tx. She installed Windows 7 Release Candidate but was having some connectivity issues so she wanted to downgrade back to Vista 32-bit. With HPs, you're supposed to just hit F11 during the boot sequence to launch the recovery program but nothing happens; it would just boot into Windows. In fact, it took quite awhile to even get into the BIOS. Does Windows 7 disable things like this? Is this a known issue? I can't find anything. Windows 7 wouldn't let her do a system restore or anything like this at all either. Kind of odd.

I'm guessing that the recovery partition was blown away from the Windows 7 install. You'll have to call HP for a set of recovery discs. On the other hand, you can find OEM CDs pretty easily on the internet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Your HDD is a SATA so XP can't see it (unless you put the drive in IDE mode in the bios). If you use a Vista disc, it should see it no problem.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

Close, the different modes are ACHI which XP cannot see and Normal/Enhanced mode which it can see. SATA does not matter.

Really? I've usually always had to put the drive in 'IDE' mode so XP can see it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

Yeah really. ACHI/RAID mode is what XP cannot see without a driver disk. Anything IDE/Enhanced should work ok but SATA does not have to do with the setting. You can have a SATA drive set to IDE/Enhanced and it will detect fine.

Isn't that what I said? He has to put the SATA drive in IDE mode for XP to see it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

Has anyone got Homegroups working at all? I tried and tried to get stuff shared between my 3 computers with 7 RC and absolutely nothing works! I can create a Homegroup and password but no computers can see the other computers. My normal file shares work fine. WTF?

I got it to work on the beta, but it messed up my regular file shares. My Xbox 360 couldn't access the share. I'm curious as to whether or not Microsoft will release an update for the 360 so it can join a Homegroup.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This is most likely a dumb question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the answer. I know MS said we can go from Win7 RC to the full version with the upgrade disc. The Win7 RC is the Ultimate edition. Can I upgrade to Win7 Pro from the RC?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kapinga posted:

From earlier this page:

That specifies inplace upgrades. Can I do a clean install?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A couple pages ago there were some users having issues with Nvidia board NICs. I had this same issue today after installing the RTM. Instead of using the Win7 drivers from Nvidia, I'm using their Vista x64 driver and it works fine so far. I'm not sure why, as I bet they are the same exact thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On the screensaver tip, is there ANY free Windows clone of OS X's Mosaic screensaver?

My problem went away when I switched my local network IP from a DHCP-issued IP to a static one (which I had done on Vista for port-forwarding and hadn't done it in 7 yet)

Yeah? I'll have to try that out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mfaley posted:

Unfortunately not - en error comes up saying that "This operating system isn't supported". When I try to run it in compatibility mode with a previous OS, it doesn't recognize the adapter.

Don't run the installer. Extract the files somewhere and manually add the driver via device manager.

Rhymenoceros posted:

Quick question here. I need to enable IEEE 802.1x authentication to be able to log onto my university network.

With XP and Vista I had to put the service "Wireless Zero Config" on autostart, in order to get the authentification tab to appear on network options, and thus being able to enable IEEE 802.1x.

This tab is missing from network options now, I've tried enabling the "Wired AutoConfig" service, but no luck so far.

Any ideas?

We have to use that at our University. With Vista and Win7, I've never had to turn it on. It 'knows' what to do when I attempt to connect.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's something I can't figure out, and this has been since the RC.

I have an Asus EeePC. It has a webcam and the drivers for it are installed. However, I can't find a way actually use the webcam. If I go under the Devices panel, it's there, but I can't turn the cam on. I recall with XP, it showed up as a device under 'My Computer' and you could turn it on and take pictures.

If I use an app that uses a webcam like MSN Messenger, I can turn it on and use it with the chat, but I just want to use the cam by itself. Any ideas? I bet I'm overlooking something simple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm having a weird problem with Win7RC.

I have a generic bluetooth dongle, and a Dell BT keyboard and Mouse. My original wireless keyboard/mouse combo worked fine, and after I installed the BT dongle they were fine as well, and I was able to add the mouse. Once I added started adding the second device, the BT keyboard, suddenly Windows will not register any mouse clicks in explorer windows. I can click on the start menu items, but I can't click on anything with in a normal Window. Also, my regular mouse will not click in the same way either.

Very odd...anyone see this before?

EDIT: Turns out a few reboots clears it up, everything is working ok now.

EDIT2: Welp, after sleeping and waking back up it happens again.

EDIT3: I need a wireless keyboard and mouse for it, my keyboard is wired but has a wireless mouse that connects to it. So I set that up, and added the bluetooth keyboard. I'll just leave the wired keyboard in the cabinet and use the wireless mouse from it and the bluetooth keyboard. It works fine like that. I guess adding the mouse screws it all up. There's an update on windows update for my bluetooth device, I'm installing it right now, we'll see what happens.

Have you tried the most current Vista drivers for all that stuff? Also, you should really be using the RTM if possible. I'm sure your place of employment has access to it and a key.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

rivetz posted:

Is anybody else doing all the poo poo they say you have to do to successfully host a party? I saw a thing that said you have to post photos and all this crap. Confirm/deny?

I'm totally having a party, it just happens to be on Sunday afternoon and I just happen to have NFL Sunday Ticket :colbert:

EDIT: I think I'm in the clear. First email I got:

I set up an invitation and invited one person (myself) and got:

So if you haven't gotten the second one yet, fire out at least one invite and I think you're good to go

I just wanted to confirm this is working. I am going to try and have some sort of a party, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shadowgate posted:

It was definitely a smart move for MS to make some changes to Vista and release a new version due to all the negative publicity Vista received.

Uh no. Windows 7 follows the same release schedule AS ALL THE PREVIOUS WINDOWS VERSIONS. XP was a huge exception, and XP SP2 was practically a new OS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shadowgate posted:

Okay well either way my point still stands that Vista was great and very similar to Win 7.

Definitely. It's like talking to a rock when explaining this to people.

"My Vista laptop runs like poo poo. Can I install Windows 7 so it will work?"

"Well sure. However, the reason Vista runs like poo poo is because of the viruses and malware you've allowed to be installed on your computer. Odds are the same thing will happen once you install Win 7.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Caseman posted:

While driver support may not necessarily be Micosoft's fault, they could have possibly done more to make the transition to Vista smoother.

Such as giving hardware manufacturers plenty of time to develop drivers for the OS?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a HTPC that runs Windows 7 RTM. I just bought a copy of Vista Home Premium, because it included a free Windows 7 upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether I should leave the box as RTM and wait until 7 comes out official and install it or if I should go to Vista for now, use that for a few months and then go to 7 around January or February. It's not a matter of the time to setup, because it's just quick HT build, but I'm debating over the functionality of 7's WMC versus Vista's.

Here's what I use it for:

1) Netflix
2) DVDs
3) Music
4) Pictures
5) Hulu
6) Pandora

7 doesn't have a Hulu plugin, and the Netflix plug in is a thirdparty shareware app that doesn't work that well. If Vista has those two items in a more functional state, I'd prefer to go to Vista until they get ported to 7 officially. What do you all think?

If they work and install in Vista, they should install/work for Win7. Try installing them anyway and see what happens. If they won't install, try the compatibility mode.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Netflix app for Vista is just a default module in Vista MC. It isn't part of 7's, but the thirdparty app some guy wrote for 7 works, but it doesn't actually integrate with 7 MC when you play a move, it just launches a browser window so you can't use your remote.

I'll try to Hulu app for 7, but I'd really like smooth Netflix integration. If I'm missing a way to install the Vista app in 7, I'd love to hear about it, but I haven't found anything about that yet.

From reading, it looks like the Hulu app should work, as it's a Windows application and not an add-on for WMC. For the Netflix app, I guess they didn't feel like adding it to the RC. It ought to be on the final one. They poster above said the remote should work with that 3rd party app, so you may want to try it anyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NYIslander posted:

I'm trying to put the RC of 7 onto a flash card/drive so it would boot up to install but everytime I do so, my computer keeps asking for a boot device (new hard drive, no OS on it, no optical drive in PC) even though the device is bootable (following steps from Max PC) and is set to from from USB/SD card first. What am I doing wrong and what program can I use to fix this problem?

The computer is a Eee Box B202

You might want to hit the right button to bring up the boot device selection screen, and actually select the flash drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NYIslander posted:

The USB/SD boot was actually first in the system but I'll doublecheck

I had the same thing happen to me with a Windows 7 install, I had to hit F12 or whatever it is and tell it to boot the flash drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

Party pack just arrived. gently caress yeah! Tote bags!

Just got mine too. gently caress yeah! Party streamers!

It's pretty cool really. Even has Windows 7 napkins.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dogen posted:

loving iTunes has loving miniature play control keys that you can use in peek. That in and of itself is cool, but imagine what other things could be done with that.

I happened to be syncing my phone when I read this. I just checked and it blew my mind.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Plain Bagels posted:

Has anyone had any luck connecting a wireless 360 controller to windows 7? I've got the 1.1 drivers but the receiver won't pick up the controller and I can't find anything about this problem.

I have one running on 7 x64. Two things I can think of:

-Do you have the most current drivers from the Microsoft website?
-Is the receiver plugged directly to a USB port on the motherboard or is it in a hub? It ought to be plugged right into the motherboard.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

I'm a little confused about upgrade installations. In order to upgrade from an existing OS (even if you're doing a custom install) do you HAVE to start the install from inside your starting OS? Because I plan to upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7 and when I put in a 64-bit copy the setup will not run in a 32-bit OS.

You'll have to boot from the installation media.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus.

I have it on my 2 computers and it's great. Are there any charts or reviews of it that compare it to other free options out there?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Irish Bandit posted:

Has anyone else who has been using 7 since beta not discovered the Win Key + Tab function until now?

That was in Vista too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

c0burn posted:

Everyone hated XP too, but no one remembers that now

Yup. I remember all of my buddies hating it. "I hate Windows XP. Windows 98 SE is where it's at!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Topsy Kretts posted:

Can someone tell me how 7 might run on this tc4200 tablet that I have? I never messed with vista, but would like to try 7 since i get it for free through school. However I don't want to level my tablet if its gonna run like rear end.

Pentium M 750 (1.8 GHz) (2 meg L2)
1.5gig of PC2-4300
Intel 915GM Graphics

It will run, but I'm pretty sure Aero won't work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Cizzo posted:

I had a similar issue but I couldn't boot from USB. What's weird is my solution was to boot from my DVD drive. Have you tried smashing F8 (i believe it varies by mobo but in most cases it's F8) to get into the Boot Menu during POST? Try and do that and choose your CD drive and see if it gives you the same crap. Or maybe try removing all of the other boot devices except your CD/DVD drive.

Yeah, I've had to this before on Windows 7 and Vista installs. Hit the boot menu (check your manual for the button) and select DVD drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gib posted:

What have you all been using to back up your files?

Apparently SyncToy doesn't work properly on Windows 7.

What's the problem you are having with SyncToy? It works fine on my install.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Otacon posted:

What scores are people getting with 7200/5900rpm system drives?

I have a 7200rpm and it scores a 5.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WescottF1 posted:

Update went smoothly and I'm reinstalling my software now.

One question I have - upon reboot I get a screen that asks which OS I wanna load - Vista or 7. Will this disappear when I delete Windows.old, or is there another way I can get it to stop?

Run MSCONFIG, go under the boot tab, select the Vista listing, and press delete.