Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am trying to find software that can schedule tasks at specific times in specific time zones.

For example, I have a server where local time is UTC. I need a job run at 18:00 Chicago time, 18:00 London Time, 01:00 Hong Kong time, and 18:00 Frankfurt time.

Because of the shifting daylight savings time, I can't simply convert everything to UTC and have it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a program that'll let me explore .rar files like you can explore .zip files in Windows? Specifically .rar files that contain photos or other media files.

Doesn't have to be free.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My technet subscription is expiring in 2 weeks so I'm about to start the frustrating process of downloading everything just in case. On a 3M DSL line. Any apps that can help with this? Also, can someone recommend a good download manager that's not going to choke downloading 100 files at 2KB/s each?

Doesn't have to be free.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

You can still download your technet files after the subscription expires, you just can't generate new keys. Generate the new keys first up to your limit on each product.

My basis for that: My technet subscription lapsed 3 years ago, but I can still download the files for the things I got keys to off the technet site.

I'd still like to have local copies just in case, since who knows how long the download site will be around after the final subscriptions expire in September.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for software to make backup copies of DVDs, ideally directly from one DVD drive to another. The huge majority of DVDs will be Single Layer so re-encoding isn't an issue -- but I'd like that feature if possible.

This is for my mom, in other words, it has to be as dead simple as possible -- one click if possible.

It does not have to be free.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely no idea which megathread to ask this question in, but this one seems the most likely to be correct.

A long time ago there was a thread on HydrogenAudio that collected samples from real music that were particularly hard to encode, and for each track they specifically told what type of audio artifacts to listen for.

I can't track down the thread, and I can't find a similar archive anywhere online.

Does anyone have a link to either the original thread, or to a resource that would have this information?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop. I generally keep my laptop charging on my desk, and one of the things I noticed is that Windows 10 is incredibly chatty. The WiFi tx/rx light goes active all the time.

Is there a website out there outlining exactly what Windows 10 is broadcasting and receiving? I know that some of this stuff must be related to the default widgets in the Start Menu (since it has news and weather by default) but I'm wondering if there might be something more nefarious -- especially in regards to location/ad tracking.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to use the Parallels or VMWare on windows instead of VirtualBox? It's hard to beat $free but I am wondering if there is some feature set that justifies the price.

Also, any way to create/run HyperV clients in Windows 10? If there is, is there any reason not to use that instead of dedicated 3rd party VM software?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 3, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a refurb laptop without an OS. I have an old Windows 7 key I want to use with it. If I want a clean copy of Windows 10 on it -- do I need to install 7, upgrade, wipe, then install 10 with the key; or can I just install Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key?

EDIT : Small side question, is the free upgrade program going to end at some point? I have some Windows 8 keys that I eventually wish to upgrade as well -- but no computer currently using them.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 6, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last October FTDI released an update, which was avaliable on Windows Updates, which basically bricked any device using counterfeit FT232 chips. This is an extreemly common USB->UART chip.

The problem is that the supply chain is so polluted with cloned chips a ton of end users got hit, and a ton of vendors got hit -- all who thought they had legit chips. In the Electronics crowd this was a huge story, and had the side effect of destroying FTDI's reputation overnight.

Looking back though, did this get any coverage in the enthusiast community at all? All I can find are scattered articles like this ZDNet one, and I can't remember reading anything about this on sites like Anandtech. Microsoft signing off on drivers that intentionally brick devices seems like a story that should have made waves -- but all I can find in regards to official statements is FTDI voluntarily pulling the update from Windows Update plus an apology letter from their CEO.

Did Microsoft ever release a statement on this issue?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any known issues with Windows' compressed folders implementation in Windows 10? 90% of the time it's fine -- but 10% of the time it takes literally hours to extract a 20 Meg file from a 10 meg zip.

Sometimes it's incredibly convenient to treat .zip files as folders, I did it all the time in 7, but in 10 this is absolutely killing me. It's not general disk i/o either -- other apps are perfectly responsive when Windows Explorer is hung up waiting for something.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is such a small thing, but it's driving me nuts. Windows 10 Anniversary Update swapped the position of the notifications tray and the clock:

Any way to flip them back? Was digging through options menus and tried to unlock "drag and drop" on the taskbar but wasn't successful.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Firefox on all platforms, and has been for the past 10-11 years since Firefox finally got better than IE.

You seriously need to give Chrome another shot. I don't know what it is about Firefox, but something deep within it ties it's responsiveness to disk i/o. So on a SSD it feels fast but still less responsive than Chrome, but on spinning disks it's hugely noticeable.

I've pretty much gone to Chrome over Firefox on all my older laptops because it's such a huge Quality of Life difference despite the fact I'd much rather support an OSS project over Google.

I just got a new work PC, and I think I'm going to finally switch off of Firefox after ~14 years of it being my primary browser, and probably soon after at home. It's really is that dramatic of a difference.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 18, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somehow Microsoft screwed up the Stickynote app in Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. It's doing some sort of full-text scan plus disk i/o on every single modification. So now it's talking ~1s for each character to appear in the app with "Enable insights" off, and significantly longer with it on.

This is so incredibly frustrating and makes me realize how much I depend on the app. Is there a good replacement? Or a fix?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At work we have a 'battle-station' which is about 30 monitors. It's basically 3-4 computers each with 4-12 monitors attached, in a U-shape around the room so 2-3 people can use it at the same time. Everyone needs to be able to see everything.

Because of COVID-19 we're trying to find some way to work with this setup remotely. Assuming you had the cash to replicate this setup at everyone's house (About $10-$12K in hardware I think?), is there any software you can use so everyone is seeing the same thing at the same time? What would the network requirements be for something like that? Any conference apps that could run 8 hours a day to make communicating easier?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a game with no audio, and after some playing around I'm convinced the reason is it's binding to the wrong audio device. With no in-game option to change it.

Is there some ways in Windows to force it to use a different audio device, or maybe wrap the launcher so it only sees the one I want? Google is not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically not Windows software, but I use Windows so it likely applies.

I am looking for disk cloning software that will boot off a USB stick ideally, or a CD Drive. This will be for partitions created in Windows 10.

What's the best solution for this in 2024? Are the paid solutions better than the free solutions?