Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gorkus
Oct 19, 2004
I was trying to install Win 7 on my home PC last night and I ran into a bit of trouble; I'm at a complete loss as to what's going wrong.

My computer previously had 2 GB of ram (2x 1GB) and my friend recently sold me 4 GB more (2x 2GB, ram's dirt cheap these days, it was less than $50 so I couldn't turn it down) so I decided I wanted to finally switch to using a 64 bit version of Windows. I'd been playing around with Win 7 RC1 at work the last few days, so I decided I wanted to triple boot XP 32 bit, XP 64 bit, and Win 7 RC1 64 bit.

With all 6 GB of ram installed, I loaded XP 32 bit and 64 bit; everything went normally and Windows was able to recognize all 6 GB of ram under 64 bit XP. When I tried to boot off the Win 7 disc, the installer seemed to load just fine until it got to the point where it shows the Windows 7 login screen (the light blue screen with a bird and some wind or something) at which point it seemed to hang. I let my computer sit for about 5 minutes, and not seeing any HDD or disc drive activity lights flashing, figured the installer had frozen. After rebooting and trying to boot from the Win 7 RC1 disc again, I had the same thing happen; this time I let my computer sit for ~15 minutes and it finally moved to the screen with the "Start Installation" button. After another 10 minutes, the installer was still sitting at that screen with the button selected but seemingly not doing anything.

While this was going on, I started googling to see if anyone else had had similar issues. Someone reported having trouble installing Win 7 with more than 2 GB of ram, so I stopped the install, removed the added 4 GB (now running on 2x 1 GB), and tried again. This time the Windows 7 install entirely finished in less than 15 minutes.

The other person reporting this issue with installing Win 7 said they were able to reinstall their additional ram after they'd loaded the OS, so I stuck those other sticks of ram back in my computer and tried booting with those in. This time, after the Windows splash screen, I was met with a black screen and seemingly nothing was happening. I took the 4 GB back out and was able to quickly boot into the OS.

Yeah... I'm kind of confused here. Does Windows 7 not support mixed amounts of ram and/or ram from different manufacturers? For the record, the 2x 1 GB is from Corsair and the 2x 2 GB is Gskill (don't ask, I didn't originally buy it). I haven't yet tried using only the 2x 2 GB, I'm at work now and want to see what happens with that when I get home.

Oh, and for the record, my motherboard recognizes all 6 GB of ram when I enter BIOS setup.

Any other ideas?

My other hardware includes:

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz)
GeForce GTS 8800
Seagate 7200.12 1 TB SATA HDD
Some NEC DVD-R

I have some other hard drives in there as well but I don't think they're related... the Seagate is the one I'm trying to load the OS's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU